Unofficial Portkey Archive

Caught by dragonsangel68
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Caught

dragonsangel68

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters you may recognize from the wonderful world of Harry Potter, they all belong to the revered JK Rowling, I just like to play with them a little.

CHAPTER NINE

I'M NOT GOING THROUGH WITH IT

With the wedding ceremony only hours away, the Weasley family, in its entirety, converged on Malfoy Manor. Ginny and Molly were ushered upstairs to a grand suite of rooms to prepare for the day ahead. The Weasley men had seemingly disappeared into one of the downstairs parlors before the women had reached the top of the staircase.

The main room of the suite had, essentially, been transformed into a large dressing room for Ginny's use. Her exquisite dress was hanging on a mannequin in the center of the room, seeming almost to taunt her with its presence. She had awoken this morning feeling physically ill, not at all prepared for the events that would take place in a few short hours, and not entirely certain she had the strength to go through with the ceremony.

Narcissa Malfoy swept into the room only moments after the Weasley women had entered.

"Everything you could possibly need is in this room. I have assigned a house elf to you for today, so if you require anything, Bocky will assist you." The creature stepped out from behind Narcissa's skirts and bowed low to Ginny. "The hair stylist will be arriving within the hour, followed by my makeup artist. I do ask that you don't keep either too long, as they are here to attend to me as well."

Ginny stared at her, Narcissa appeared to be perfectly groomed already. She could easily have stepped off the pages of Witch Weekly's fashion layouts.

"Is everything all right?" Narcissa snapped haughtily.

Ginny flushed slightly, her response merely muttered, "Umm, it's - It's fine."

"Just as well. I spoke to Draco this morning, and he informs me that his injury has healed well, so you should have no trouble this evening, but keep in mind that if you do I must be informed immediately."

Ginny's face glowed crimson as she recalled the uncomfortable conversation from the morning before. She had no desire to revisit the subject now, especially in front of her own mother, who was now glaring dangerously at Narcissa. Nodding her acknowledgement at the witch who would become her mother-in-law, Ginny hoped it would be enough to put an end to any further remarks from her.

"Well, I will leave you to prepare," Narcissa announced pompously, before gliding gracefully from the room leaving remnants of her expensive perfume lingering in the air.

Molly looked tentatively at her daughter. "Ginny, perhaps you should start with a bath, dear."

"Umm yes, I suppose so," Ginny responded absently, as she drifted towards the open bathroom door.

Closing it firmly behind her, she dissolved into tears. This was not happening! She kept hoping that she would wake up from this nightmare, safe in her bed at the Burrow, with smells of breakfast wafting up the stairs to tempt her. But it was not to be. She was getting married today, to Draco Malfoy, and there seemed to be nothing she could do to dismount from the wild broom ride she was currently on.

When Ginny stepped out of the bathroom, some time later, the hair stylist was waiting impatiently to fix her hair. He was complaining profusely that Mrs. Malfoy would not be pleased with his tardiness, if he did not put in an appearance soon.

"Come along then. We must hurry, there is so much to do!" The hairstylist exclaimed waving his arms in a way that made Ginny wonder exactly what team he was batting for.

Sitting on the chair in front of a large mirror as directed, Ginny flinched as he pranced up behind her and began running his extremely long, thin fingers through her unruly red hair.

"Such a beautiful color, darling," he simpered. "Oh yes, we are going to have much fun creating a devastating style for you. Let me see, something elegant, but at the same time... fun! Yes, yes. You'll knock his wand from its sheath when he lays his eyes on you," the stylist muttered, apparently more to himself than for her benefit.

Stunned beyond speech, Ginny sat wide-eyed, watching in the mirror as the stylist began flicking his wand this way and that to create the most flattering style possible for her.

"I think, yes, I think we are finished at last. Oh and don't you look just edible?"

"Umm, thank you," she said, unsure quite how to express her gratitude through her stunned amazement.

"Well I'm off! Must get to Mrs. Malfoy, before she feels it necessary to hex me. That witch has a nasty wand," he exclaimed, then with a giggle that confirmed beyond a doubt exactly what team he played for, he added, "Be a love and don't tell her I said that. Toodles."

Molly sighed and dabbed a handkerchief to her eyes. "You look beautiful, dear."

Ginny examined her reflection; he had created a cap of loosely woven hair around her head, leaving a number of artfully placed tendrils to frame her face in soft curls.

"Thanks, Mum."

The door to the room burst open, and a skinny man walked though followed by many floating cases.

He scanned the room until his eyes lit upon Ginny. "And you must be the bride!"

"Yes," Ginny answered, wondering exactly who this man was and what right he had to burst in here without knocking.

"Darling, I am Anton," he stated in a way that made Ginny think she should have known. "I am here to make you stunning."

"Oh, hello," Ginny responded hesitantly.

"Now your dress, darling … what color is it?"

Ginny rolled her eyes and cocked her head towards the mannequin displaying her gown. "White."

"Mmm well, I suppose hardly anyone will know…"

"Know? Know what?" Molly shrieked at the wizard.

"Darling, Mrs. Malfoy and I have no secrets," Anton informed her with a dismissive wave of his hand.

The color was once again rising in Molly's face and she pinned Anton with a perilous look. "Well, there is nothing to know!"

"Nonsense, of course there is. Quite the scandal-"

"Enough! How dare you?"

"Mum, please can we just get on with it?" Ginny implored, hoping to distract her mother sufficiently, so her temper would have a chance to recede. She could see her mother was close to drawing her wand, not that she could blame her, but it probably wasn't a good idea given the circumstances.

"I'm sorry, dear, but I won't just sit by while these people-"

"Mum, it's all right. Just sit down and we can get on with the makeup."

Molly sat herself on a stool scowling fiercely at Anton, and watching his every move. Ginny knew if the man made just one more provocative comment there would be little she would be able to do to stop her mother tearing him to pieces.

Anton took Ginny by the shoulders and led her back to chair in front of the mirror. "Now you just sit there and let me do my magic."

His hands came instantly to her face, feeling it all over then she began to feel brushes wandering over her skin. It felt like hours before Anton finally stepped back.

"We are done, you are a masterpiece!" he announced clapping his hands together.

Ginny peered into the mirror, she had never worn much makeup before, but Anton's touch had been, as he promised, magic. Instead of the image of a frightened teen staring back at her, Ginny found there was a beautiful young woman gazing out of the mirror, and although her eyes registered the trepidation she felt, she no longer appeared terrified.

"Thank you," Ginny whispered, awed reverence clear in her tone.

"Ah, no need for thanks, lovey, it's what I do. Au revoir!"

Anton left with his cases following him out the door and the Weasley women were alone once more.

Ginny drifted over to stand in front of the window; there were people arriving at the Manor - some she knew, most she did not.

Coming to stand behind her daughter, Molly tentatively announced, "Ginny, dear, it's time to get dressed."

Sighing heavily, she turned from the view and glared at her dress. She didn't want to put it on, this day was not meant happen for years yet - it wasn't the fact that she was to marry Draco, she did love him, but she didn't feel ready to get married at the tender age of sixteen.

"Ginny, come on dear, procrastinating won't make it go away."

"I know, Mum."

Ginny approached the mannequin slowly, as Molly removed the dress. She slipped her robe from her body, and stepping into the exquisite fabric again, shivering involuntarily as the cool satin brushed against her skin.

Molly moved around so she could truss up the bodice tightly. "Ginny, dear, just hold onto the bedpost, so we can get this as tight as possible."

Once she was happy with the fastenings of the dress, Molly knelt to slip her daughter's shoes onto her feet, it was the only thing left to do.

Standing before her daughter, tears began to well in Molly's eyes. "You look so beautiful, Ginny. I'm just sorry this couldn't have been a happy day for you."

"It's all right, Mum, it's not like I don't love Draco," Ginny muffled a sob against the back of her hand.

"Oh! Ginny, love don't cry," Molly tried to console her, holding her gently so as not to crush her dress.

There was a soft knock at the door, and both the women turned their heads.

"Dry your eyes, dear," Molly said, passing Ginny a handkerchief. "That will most likely be your father."

Molly wiped her own tears with the heel of her hand before walking to the door.

"Is she ready?" Ginny heard her father ask.

"Yes, dear, she's dressed."

"Bill will take you down to the ballroom."

"I'll just tell Ginny I'm going."

Ginny had stood unmoving, listening to the hushed conversation between her parents. It was time, and she was not ready.

"Ginny, I have to go downstairs now."

"Okay, Mum."

"You'll be all right, dear."

"I know."

Molly kissed her daughter's cheek, before standing back to allow her eldest son access to his sister.

Bill approached his baby sister slowly, as if in awe of her. "Gin, you look amazing."

"Thanks, Bill."

He stepped forward and carefully wrapped his arms around her. "Everything will be all right, you know."

"Yeah, I know," Ginny whispered into his chest.

Releasing her, Bill looked as though he wanted to say something more, but no words came. Instead, he turned and walked from the room with Molly following close behind.

"You look lovely, Ginny," Arthur offered unevenly.

"I can't do this," Ginny blurted.

"That is irrelevant, Ginny," he responded strongly. "We'll give your mother a few minutes to get downstairs and then we'll go."

"No! I'm not doing this! I'm not going downstairs!"

"Come on, Ginny," Arthur said tiredly.

"No, Dad. This isn't what I want," Ginny responded angrily.

"Ginevra, you are doing this! Now it's time to go down."

"No, Dad. I'm not doing it. No one bothered to ask Draco or I what we wanted, you just went ahead and arranged it all, and I can't do it."

"You stated that you loved the boy the other day. What has changed?"

"Nothing and everything - I don't even know who I am anymore."

"You're being ridiculous. Come along."

"No."

"Ginevra, it's quite normal to have some nerves before such an important event in your life, but you really don't have any choice."

"No I-" Ginny's voice cut off as the door to the suite opened.

"Is there a problem?" Lucius enquired smoothly.

"Of course not, we were just having a father-daughter chat."

"I'm not going through with it."

"I see. Perhaps I might have a word with Ginevra - alone?"

"I don't see what that could achieve."

"I can be very persuasive when I need be. Maybe, I can help her to understand the benefits she would experience, if she were to go ahead with the ceremony."

"Very well, you have five minutes, Malfoy."

"On the contrary, I have as long as it takes to acquire your daughter's acquiescence," Lucius sneered at the redheaded wizard.

Closing the door firmly behind Arthur, Lucius turned on Ginny regarding her with his cold piercing gaze. "Care to explain your previous statement?"

"You heard me. I'm not going through with it!"

"Really? And why do you believe that?" Lucius drawled.

"I don't want to," she stated impertinently, folding her arms across her chest.

"Is that so? Well, it seems that what you want is unimportant."

"No it's not! This is my life and your son's life! Why should we marry just because?"

"You will marry because you couldn't keep your legs closed and your father has invoked an ancient law."

"How is that my problem? He wouldn't-"

"Girl, do you not realize just how lucky you are?" Lucius advanced on her, looming over her small frame threateningly. "By marrying my son you will never want for another thing in your life! You will lead a privileged existence until the day you die!"

"I- I'm just not ready to get married!"

"If you do not marry Draco, your family is allowed to kill him by any means they see fit," Lucius informed her smoothly, watching closely for her reaction.

"What?"

"You didn't know?" Lucius smirked, it was as he suspected - she had no idea.

"No! I -" She had thought it was some sort of sick joke when her mother told her. The thought that her family could kill someone at will was just sickening.

"Well, I suggest you prepare yourself to walk downstairs."

"I don't think I can-"

"Ginevra, you will not embarrass this family. You will walk out there with your head held high, like a Malfoy. Draco is waiting for you."

"I am not a Malfoy," she replied defiantly.

"You will be soon," Lucius sneered.

"I- No- I-" she stammered.

"Come along, Ginevra," Lucius held his arm out for her to take. "It's impolite to keep everyone waiting."

Ginny watched in horror as her arm reached out and cradled itself in the crook of Lucius Malfoy's elbow, it was as if it were moving of its own volition. There would be no turning back now; she would be married ready or not.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

AUTHORS NOTES

I'd like to thank my livejournal friends for their encouragement to finish this fic and their hilarious suggestions that enabled me to do so.

Special thanks to vequihellin and rainpuddle13 for their fantastic beta skills *hugs*


-->