Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dreams Can Come True by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dreams Can Come True

MisCard


~A/N> Thanks for the reviews on the last chapter! Sorry if there are any mistakes in this one, my beta recently quit on me and I had to do it myself (and I'm not very good at it). I'll try to post another chapter on Thursday since I doubt there will be many people reading fanfic next weekend (me included!) Thanks to Poppywillow for her help and support, and I hope you like the chapter!!

Harry stood there frozen for a moment before saying, "Lavender? W-What are you doing here? I mean, I thought you were going to Paris to study with that designer?"

"I am silly," she purred, "I don't leave for another month."

"Oh...well, good luck with that and all," Harry said lamely, wanting to run away from her but stopping himself. Turning slowly he started to walk away from her, only to be stopped when she put a hand on his shoulder. When he turned around to question her actions she quickly captured his mouth in a heated kiss, giving him no chance to stop her advances.

~*~

Luna walked out of Flourish and Blotts, on her way to Neville's Cafe to have lunch with Ron and his family, when she stopped suddenly. There on the sidewalk was Harry...kissing Lavender Brown? She quickly ducked around the corner of the building so that she could watch the pair, trying to calm her anger at the two-timing wizard. How could he kiss Lavender like that after the way he had just acted with Hermione?

With many angered thoughts flying through her head, Luna continued to watch them and felt a sick satisfaction as she watched Harry suddenly break the kiss and push Lavender away from him. When she saw the angry expression on his face she realized that maybe she had made the wrong assumption after all.

~*~

"What the bloody hell do you think you're doing?" he asked angrily as he swiped his hand across his mouth with an almost disgusted look on his face.

Looking hurt and angry at the same time Lavender replied, "C'mon lover, after the way you acted on the train the last time I saw you, I know you still want me."

"Like hell I do!" Harry exclaimed, causing a few patrons on the street to turn in their direction, "I'm waaaay over you Lav, so get over yourself and stay away from me."

"How dare you!" Lavender shot back, the hurt disappearing from her lovely face, leaving it twisted in an ugly expression of rage, "I'm the best thing that happened to you Harry Potter, you'll never find someone as good as me."

"I already have," he replied, "No wait, strike that...she's better than you'll ever be. I've moved on Lavender, I found someone who seems to like spending time with me and doesn't want to just use me for sex. Now if you'll excuse me, I have somewhere I'm supposed to be." Stopping in mid-turn, Harry leveled his gaze on her and with a slight smirk gracing his lips he asked, "I bet you didn't 'see' that happening, did you?"

Lavender stood there sputtering as Harry turned and walked away from her once more. After he was quite a few steps away from her Harry heard her shout, "She'll get tired of you soon Harry, and when she does you'll come crawling back to me."

Harry just shook his head as he continued to walk, trying to remember why he had been with Lavender in the first place and unable to believe her nerve. Finally reaching the Cafe, Harry opened the door and relaxed a bit as he was greeted by Neville.

~*~

Luna smiled as she watched Lavender stomp down the street. She couldn't believe the nerve of Lavender Brown, just walking up to Harry like that and saying the things she said. But Harry had spurned her advances and Luna was proud of him; she was now also convinced more than ever that Harry had strong feelings for Hermione.

Luna heard the chimes on the shop door sound behind her, and when she turned she saw Hermione walk out. "Luna? I thought you had to meet Ron for lunch?" she asked.

"I do," Luna replied happily, "I uh, I just got a little sidetracked, I thought I saw a red-tailed ground newt over here and wanted to check it out; my Dad's really interested in finding rare magical creatures."

"Oh, well I was just going to grab some lunch at Neville's Cafe," Hermione said.

"That's where I'm meeting Ron and his family, so I'll walk with you," Luna replied and they started to make their way down the street.

~*~

When Harry followed Neville into the cafe, he was surprised to see the entire Weasley clan gathered around three tables that had been pushed together. When Ron looked up and saw him he said, "Hey Harry, come join us!"

As he walked up to the table Mrs. Weasley stood up and gave him one of her patented Molly hugs. After she finally let him go Mr. Weasley shook his hand in greeting and gestured toward an empty seat next to him.

"I'd love to join you guys," he said, "but I told Neville I would meet him here for lunch."

"It's alright Harry, I actually invited you here to have lunch with all of us, I thought it would be nice to have just family and close friends together to celebrate Ron and Luna's engagement," Neville said as he took a seat next to Ginny.

Taking the empty chair next to Neville, Harry greeted Ginny and turned to speak to Ron. When the door opened at the front of the Cafe Neville got up to greet whoever had walked in and stopped when Luna and Hermione started to make their way towards the table.

"Hello everyone," said Luna before bending down to place a kiss on Ron's cheek in greeting.

As everyone greeted her, Hermione looked uncomfortably around the table and said, "It looks like you're having a private party, so I'll just pop on over to the Leaky Cauldron."

"You'll do no such thing," Luna replied, "I would love for you to join us."

Harry had sat quietly next to Neville, watching Hermione as she talked with Luna, when Neville whispered, "You've got it bad Mate."

"What?" Harry asked, turning his head quickly to look at Neville.

Ginny was smiling at him as she said, "I've never seen you with such a...I guess you'd call it dreamy...look on your face before."

Harry felt his cheeks growing warm as he said, "Knock it off you two, I like her, but I'm not some lovesick fool."

Before the two could continue taking the mickey out of him he turned back to Hermione and said, "There's an empty seat next to me."

Hermione smiled shyly at him and made her way to the chair; as she sat down she said quietly, "I really am fine with getting my lunch somewhere else today, I didn't mean to crash Luna's party like this."

"Don't worry about it," Harry said, "The Weasley's are wonderful...I've spent every summer with them since I started Hogwarts and I consider them family; they really won't mind if you join us."

"Okay," Hermione said, still looking a bit uncomfortable. She greeted Neville and Ginny and then congratulated Ron on the engagement.

When Ron and Harry started a discussion about Quidditch and how Ron would be leaving to train with the Chudley Cannons in a few weeks, Mrs. Weasley smiled at her and said quietly, "It's nice to see you again dear."

"Hello Mrs. Weasley," Hermione said, "How have you been?"

"Wonderful," Mrs. Weasley answered, "I'm so proud of Ron, he's found the perfect witch to share his life with." Glancing over to Harry and Ron, who were now having an animated discussion with Neville, she asked, "I hope you don't mind me asking dear, but has your opinion of my Harry changed any since the last time we spoke?"

"Yes," answered Hermione happily, "I shouldn't have made such an assumption about him after only speaking to him one time."

"I'm so glad," Molly said, "he's been through so much throughout his life, he deserves to find someone who can make him happy."

Hermione was quiet for a moment as she glanced over to where Harry was still deep in discussion, and when she looked back at Molly she said, "I don't know if I'm that person or not."

Molly smiled at her and said, "If the way he acts around you is any indication, I'd say you make him very happy; his face seems to light up when he looks at you."

Hermione sat there as Molly's words sunk in and she felt a twinge of hope pass through her. She turned her attention to Harry when he asked, "What's got you so deep in thought?"

"Huh? Oh, sorry, I was just thinking about something Mrs. Weasley said," she replied.

"You two have met before?" Harry asked, looking from her to Mrs. Weasley.

"We spoke in Flourish and Blotts when I went to pick up Ginny's books," Molly replied with a smile.

After that Hermione was swept up in the discussions that went on amongst the family as they ate an enormous amount of food, especially Ron. Hermione, feeling very full and sleepy, looked down at her watch and gasped. "Oh no, I'm fifteen minutes over my lunch hour, I need to get back to the shop!"

"I'm sure Edna won't mind," Luna said.

"Normally she wouldn't, but she has an appointment in fifteen minutes," Hermione replied, quickly standing up. "Thank you all so much for inviting me to have lunch with you, it was wonderful."

"You're welcome," Mrs. Weasley said with a smile, "You're welcome to join us anytime dear."

"Thank you Mrs. Weasley," Hermione said, then turning to Harry she lowered her voice and said, "Thanks again for the presents, I absolutely adore them."

"I'm glad you like them," Harry replied, and then quietly he asked, "So I'll see you Friday night?"

"Friday night at seven," Hermione said and was surprised when Harry took hold of her hand and squeezed it gently. "Well, I have to go," she said, squeezing Harry's hand back and then as she was making her way around the table she stopped long enough to face everyone and said, "I hope to see you all again soon!"

A chorus of good-byes erupted as Hermione turned to make her way out of the cafe and once she was gone Mrs. Weasley turned to Harry and said, "She's an adorable witch Harry, I wouldn't let her get away if I were you."

"I don't intend to Molly," he replied with a smile as he watched Hermione pass by the window on her way back to work.

~*~

Friday came quickly for Hermione; the shop was busy with all the Hogwarts students coming in with their families to get their books for the new term. At five o'clock Friday night Hermione went into Edna's office and asked, "I finished up the display in the front window, would it be okay if I went home now?"

"Of course Dear," Edna said with a smile, "I know tonight is your big date with Harry, so you just go get ready and have a wonderful time."

"Thanks Edna," Hermione replied as she walked over to where Edna sat and gave her a hug. Walking over to the fireplace, Hermione tossed in a handfull of floo power, stepped in and made the dizzying trip home.

~*~

Harry stood in front of his closet trying to decide what to wear; he had suddenly realized that almost all his clothes were black or some other dark color and he couldn't seem to find an outfit that was suitable to wear. 'Since when do I care what clothes I wear?' he thought to himself and then answering his own question thought, 'Since I met Hermione.'

Finally deciding on a pair of black pants and dark green polo shirt, Harry tried to tame his hair a bit and realizing how senseless it was, he walked out of his flat and apparated to an apparition point down the street from Hermione's house. He clutched the bouquet of flowers he had conjured in his hand, hoping she would like them; it was a colorful mixture of Oriental lilies, Moonstone roses and Babies Breath tied together with a purple ribbon. Making his way down the street, Harry looked around the peaceful neighborhood and noticed the welcoming houses and tree laden yards; all the time he had spent locked up in the cupboard under the stairs he had imagined the house he would one day live in with a family of his own, and the neighborhood in the images looked exactly like this one.

Coming upon Hermione's house he walked up to the door and just before he knocked he heard yelling inside. He listened for a moment, recognizing one of the voices as Hermione's and the other seemed to belong to a woman also. Bracing himself for what he may be walking into, Harry rang the doorbell and the voices inside went silent for a moment. When Hermione opened the door she had a strained look on her face and her cheeks were flushed. "Hi Harry," she greeted, "Just let me get my purse and we can be on our way."

"Okay," Harry replied, watching her stiff posture as she made her way to a staircase and walked upstairs. Harry closed the door behind him and stood in the entryway; he almost jumped when a woman walked out of the room to his right and stood glaring at him. "Good Evening Ma'am," he said in greeting. Walking a few steps toward her he said, "I'm Harry Potter."

"So I heard," she replied cooly. She looked as if she were trying to size him up and Harry cleared his throat, uncomfortable with the silence.

When he heard Hermione descending the stairs he walked back to the door to wait for her; he watched as she walked up to him and said, "All ready, let's go."

"Hermione Jane, I swear...if you walk out that door, don't come back because you will no longer be welcome in my house."

Harry's eyes widened in surprise at the hateful tone the woman, presumably Hermione's Mum by the similarity of their features, used to speak to her daughter. Hermione stopped, frozen by his side, before turning around to face her Mum. "I won't be coming home then," she said angrily, "I will come by tomorrow while you are at work to get the rest of my things."

"Oh no you won't," her Mum replied, "Your Father and I bought those things for you, they don't belong to you."

Harry watched as Hermione walked right up to her Mother and asked quietly, "I'm a witch Mum, what are you going to do to stop me?"

The woman's mouth dropped open as Hermione turned towards Harry and made her way out the door. Harry followed her out and closed the door behind him, hoping her Mum wouldn't follow them outside to continue the argument. Placing his hand lightly on the small of her back he asked, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Hermione replied shortly. Looking at him apologetically she said, "I'm sorry Harry, I have no right to be short with you when it's my Mum I'm angry with."

"It's okay, after what I just witnessed I think you have every right to be angry and upset right now," he said with a small smile.

"I know you've made plans for tonight, but do you think we could go see Edna first?" she asked quietly.

"Sure, we have plenty of time," Harry replied as he checked his watch, "There's access to the Floo at the apparition point down the street, we can use that to get to the shop."

"Thanks," she replied. Harry smiled reassuringly at her and as they made their way down the street he took her hand in his; Hermione marveled at how that simple action helped to calm her nerves and somehow made her feel safe.

"So can I ask why we need to go see Edna now?" he asked politely.

"She mentioned before that I was welcome to move into the apartment above the shop and I need to see if her offer still stands," Hermione replied.

Harry looked at her and noticed that even though she was trying to put up a brave front, the hurt that the argument with her Mother caused shone through in her eyes. Stopping suddenly, Harry turned to her and said, "I know this may be a little unconventional, but what if we just get some take away from Neville's and go back to my flat? We can watch some movies and if you like you can stay the night, seperate beds of course, and then tomorrow I can help you move?"

Hermione stood there silently for a few moments, gazing into his eyes and warring with herself in her head. Could she trust him? She was sure she could, and if he did try anything she had her wand...if she was really truthful with herself she would admit that she really didn't want to be alone in a strange apartment that night. Deciding to take a chance on him she smiled slightly and replied, "Okay."