Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dreams Can Come True by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dreams Can Come True

MisCard


~A/N> I'm sorry that this update is three weeks late. Life lately has not been kind and I haven't been able to work on my writing much. I have back problems that got so bad that I could only sit in front of my computer for fifteen minutes at a time because it hurt so much. Add that to the fact that I got stuck on the last part of this chapter and voila! you have the reason for it's lateness. So now there is only one more chapter to go and I will hopefully be able to get it finished by next weekend. I have to give a big thank-you to Poppywillow and ChaserKT for helping me out with this chapter. If it weren't for them I wouldn't be able to post this today :) Thank you to everyone that has read and/or reviewed, and I hope you enjoy the chapter!

"Does anybody know who the hell this bloke is?" Auror Seamus Finnegan asked loudly, irratated at the lack of cooperation he was getting from his fellow Auror's.

A young rookie by the name of Mackenzie scurried up to him and said, "Not yet sir, Reynolds is downstairs talking to Tom to see if he knows anything about him."

Seamus sighed and said, "As soon as you find out anything new let me know right away."

"Yes Sir," Mackenzie answered timidly.

As Mackenzie scurried away Seamus looked down at the covered body of the unknown wizard and sighed again. It was days like this when he wondered why he had ever wanted to become an Auror after his schooling at Hogwarts. Deep down he knew why...he remembered the hell that Harry Potter, his classmate, went through during their years at school...he had wanted to become an Auror so that he could help prevent anyone else from living such a traumatic life.

Seamus carefully made his way around the room, watching as different spells were cast to find evidence, and wondered how it was that no one knew who this wizard was. "Auror Finnegan," yelled Mackenzie as he came skidding to a halt in front of him, "Sir, I know who he is."

When Mackenzie just stood there wide-eyed and panting Seamus's temper snapped as he shouted, "AND?"

"H-His name is Michel Dubois," Mackenzie answered, "He checked in two nights ago by himself. Tom said that he was downstairs drinking the night he checked in and became pretty drunk and loud. He started bragging about some bird he had shagged and gotten pregnant...he said that he was going to visit her the next day. He also said that he would be meeting with Harry Potter."

"What the hell...what does Harry have to do with Michel Dubois and a pregnant girl?" Seamus asked aloud to no one in particular.

"I believe he was talking about Hermione Granger sir, Mr. Dubois' ex-girlfriend and Mr. Potter's current girlfriend," another Auror named Riley answered, "I saw a picture of Mr. Potter with her in the Daily Prophet. It seems that they have been a couple for a while now."

Seamus closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose with his fingers, trying to fight off an impending headache. "So this guy shows up here, brags that he's going to visit Harry and Ms. Granger and ends up dead two days later?" Seamus surmised with confusion evident in his voice, "I think it's time I go pay a visit to Harry and Ms. Granger and see just how involved in all of this they are."

"Ms. Granger is a patient at St. Mungo's Sir," Riley said, "It seems that she had her baby last night and that Mr. Potter was there with her."

"Hopefully there are a lot of witnesses that saw him there," Seamus replied, "Harry's been through enough hell in the past, he deserves some happiness. Mackenzie, come with me."

"Y-Yes Sir," Mackenzie replied, barely containing his excitement. Seamus watched him hurry ahead and thought of what a long day it was going to be.

"Auror Finnegan!" someone yelled as he raced down the corridor toward Seamus, "Sir, wait!"

When he got closer Seamus realized it was Auror McKay, one of the top Aurors in his division, and as he saw the look on his face Seamus asked, "What is it McKay?"

Panting from the exertion of running up two flights of stairs, McKay took a deep breath and said, "Sir, there's someone downstairs that needs to speak with you now...you're not going to believe who it is!"

~*~

Harry walked toward Hermione's room slowly, trying to decide if he should go through with his plan or not. He had watched Hermione and Daniel sleeping early that morning when an idea had formed in his mind that he just couldn't ignore. Now, as Mrs. Granger trailed after him down the corridor, he wondered just how the hell he could have thought this was a good thing to do. When they stopped in front of her door, Harry turned to Hermione's Mum and said, "Um, I should probably go in and speak with her first, if that's okay with you?"

"Sure," Mrs. Granger replied. Harry watched as she turned and sat in one of the chairs against the wall. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door and was greeted by a beaming Hermione.

"How are you and Daniel doing?" he asked as he walked up to her and kissed her hello. When he looked down to where Daniel was cradled in her arms Harry realized that Hermione was, in fact, breast feeding him and suddenly his face felt very warm, along with other parts of his body.

"We're doing great," she replied and watched bemused as Harry finally tore his eyes away from her exposed breast and met her gaze. Trying not to laugh she asked, "Harry, are you blushing?"

"I-uh...I was just surprised that you were b-feeding Daniel," he replied, "I'll just leave you alone so you can um-finish."

"Does this make you uncomfortable?" she asked.

"Yes, but not in the way you're thinking," he replied quietly, but not quiet enough so that she didn't hear.

When he heard her giggle he gave her a questioning look and she said, "Harry, you just watched me give birth not too long ago and saw parts of me that no one else has."

"You mean no one other than Michel," Harry replied, practically spitting out the other man's name.

"No, I mean no one," she said, "Michel didn't take the time to look, he just did what he did and nothing else."

"You know, I hate that bloke more and more every time we talk about him," Harry growled, thinking what a git Michel was not to treasure Hermione while he was with her. When Daniel gave a content sigh Harry's eyes were once again drawn to where he fed at Hermione's breast and Harry said, "I should...um, I'll just go out...bloody hell, am I a tosser for being jealous of a baby?"

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed, shocked at his remark but feeling too tired and euphoric to scold him for it.

"I'm sorry," he said as he sat in the chair next to her bed. Clearing his mind of all unclean thoughts, he watched as Daniel ate and asked, "All joking aside, I think that is the most amazing thing I have ever seen."

"What is?" she asked, wondering what he was referring to.

"You feeding Daniel," Harry replied, "It just seems so intimate, it's something only the two of you can share." Lost in thought Harry said, "I wonder if my Mum and I ever shared moments like that."

Hermione reached out and caressed his cheek with her hand and said, "I'm so sorry that you grew up not knowing your parents."

"Me too," he replied, turning his head and placing a kiss on the palm of her hand.

"And I'm sure the two of you did have moments like this. Which I'm sure she treasured."

"Thank you." Figuring this was as good a time as any to bring it up, Harry asked, "So are you going to let your Mother know that you've had Daniel?"

"Yes," she replied, "I've been thinking it over and no matter how horrid she's been to you and me, Daniel is still her Grandson. It would be unfair to keep him away from her just because she and I don't get along."

"You're wonderful," Harry said, smiling at her proudly, "and I hope you'll forgive me because your Mum is in the corridor, hoping you'll let her in to visit."

"She's here?" Hermione asked in disbelief, her eye's going from Harry to the door. "Did you go get her?"

"When I went home to shower and change I found her at the door," Harry replied, "She said she really wanted to talk to you and I told her that you were here."

Hermione looked down at Daniel, who was asleep in her arms, and realized just how much she wanted to see her Mom. "I'd like to talk to her," she said and Harry smiled, relieved that she wasn't angry with him. She watched as he walked to the door, opened it and motioned to someone outside.

Jane Granger walked into the room and Hermione couldn't believe how much older she looked. Motioning toward the chair Harry said, "Why don't you take a seat, I'm going to go find something to drink. Would either of you like something?"

"No thank-you," Jane replied quietly.

"Would you bring me some water please Harry?" Hermione asked.

"Sure," he replied, "I'll be back in a tick."

After he walked out of the room Hermione looked at her Mum and asked, "How have you been Mother?"

"I've been okay," she replied, "How about you and the baby? Did everything go okay...no labor complications?"

"Other than being three weeks early, we're both fine," Hermione answered happily. Smiling at her Mum she asked, "Would you like to hold Daniel?"

Tears sprang to her eyes as Jane asked, "You named him Daniel? After your Father?"

"Yes," Hermione replied as tears formed in her eyes too, "Dad was the greatest man I've ever known and I wanted my son to have his name. His full name is Daniel James Granger."

"Such a strong name," Jane said with a hint of pride in her voice, "I would love to hold him."

Hermione carefully handed him to her Mum and watched as she held him with tears running down her cheeks. "He's beautiful," she said and then looked at Hermione proudly. "I went by your flat today because I wanted to talk to you. I've been thinking of how horrid our relationship has become and I realized that I've treated you terribly."

"It's not all your fault Mum," Hermione said, "I wasn't the easiest to get along with either."

Sniffling and watching every movement Daniel made, Jane carefully ran her fingers over the little bit of hair on his head and said, "I was just awful to you after your Father died. You were pregnant and I should have been there for you instead of push you away...if your Father were still here he would be ashamed of my behavior. I just...there are times that I miss him so much that it hurts to breathe."

Hermione stared at her Mum, amazed at the things she was saying. Her Mother had never opened up to her like this before...it was always her Father that had spoken his feelings and told the truth about everything, no matter what. He had taught her that bottling up your feelings would only make things worse in the end and that she needed to experience life to the fullest. Her Mum was always so prim and proper, preaching about manners and proper etiquette, and this sudden change was refreshing and welcomed.

"I'm sorry for the way I acted toward you," Hermione said, "I'm sure I didn't help things with the belligerent way I acted after Daddy died. I was just so angry that he was taken from us and at the way Michel had treated me...I guess I channeled all that anger to you and it was unfair of me to do so."

"I'm sorry too," Jane said, smiling up at her, "You know, I can't get over how much Daniel looks like you did as a baby."

"I'm thankful for that," Hermione replied, "Especially since Michel is the reason I went into labor early."

"What?" her Mum asked angrily, "What did he do?"

Hermione related the story of what had happened at their flat the day before, marveling at how great it felt to talk to her Mum again, and said, "Every time the door opens I'm afraid that it might be him."

"I don't think you have to worry about that," Jane said, "I don't think Harry would let him anywhere near you."

"No, he probably wouldn't," Hermione replied with a wistful smile. "He is such a wonderful person, Mum. I am so lucky to have him in my life."

"I'd say he feels the same about you," Jane said as she handed Daniel back to her. "I should get home and let you rest, but if it's okay with you I'd like to visit you again soon?"

"That would be great," Hermione said as her Mum kissed her on the cheek and then placed a kiss on Daniel's forehead.

"Take care of yourself," Jane said and with a wave and a smile, she walked out of the room.

Looking down at Daniel lovingly Hermione said, "Things are finally getting back to the way they should be and hopefully better."

~*~

Harry had returned a short while later with Hermione's water and was surprised to find her Mum gone. Hermione told him about their conversation and he smiled at the look of relaxed contentment that she wore, thinking that maybe their life would be quietly normal.

That afternoon Ron, Luna, Ginny, Neville, Edna and Mrs. Weasley showed up to visit them. The healer had decided to keep Hermione and Daniel an extra day so when everyone had heard the news they had all gathered in her room with arms full of food and gifts. As the guys talked about Ron's Quidditch team and Neville's Cafe Hermione was telling the girls about her conversation with her Mum. Mrs. Weasley and Edna were close to tears, thankful that the rift between Mother and Daughter had been mended, while Luna and Ginny were happily playing with Daniel.

When there was a knock at the door Harry walked over to open it. "Seamus?" he asked surprised as he saw who it was on the other side.

"Hi Harry," Seamus replied, "I'm sorry to bother you, with the new arrival and all, but I really need to speak with you and Ms. Granger."

Looking confused, Harry motioned for Seamus and the man with him to come into the room. Seeing all of his school mates in the room along with Mrs. Weasley and another woman Seamus didn't know, he greeted them all and said, "Hello. I'm Auror Seamus Finnegan and this is my partner, Auror Ryan Mackenzie. We need to ask Harry and Ms. Granger some questions."

"About what?" Hermione asked as she bounced Daniel lightly, trying to calm him as he started to fuss.

"Er...well, maybe we should talk in private?" Seamus asked politely as his eyes scanned over every person in the room.

When her friends started toward the door Hermione said, "It's okay if they stay, we're all friends here."

"Alright," Seamus replied, "I'm afraid I have some bad news Ms. Granger...Michel Dubois was found dead in his room at The Leaky Cauldron this morning."

"What?!" Hermione exclaimed, shocked by the news, "Michel's dead?"

"He was found by Tom, the innkeeper, early this morning," Seamus explained, "Could you please tell me the last time you saw Mr. Dubois?"

"You don't think Hermione had anything to do with it, do you?" Harry asked, his hard stare boring into Seamus.

"We're just trying to sort things out right now Harry, I'm just here to ask some routine questions." Seamus replied, meeting his stare.

"I saw Michel two days ago," Hermione answered, breaking the tension between the two men, "He came to our flat to...talk about our baby."

Harry flinched at her reference to Michel as Daniel's Father but kept his mouth shut. He didn't want to blurt anything out that could draw any suspicion onto her...or him for that matter.

"And you are living with Mr. Potter, correct?" Seamus asked, ignoring the angry look Harry was giving him.

"That's right," Hermione replied, "I've lived there for about six months now."

"And what was it that Michel had come to discuss with you?" Seamus questioned, "You say it was about your child...was he seeking custody?"

"No," Harry answered for her, "The bloody git was trying to get money out of her in exchange for him giving up his parental rights to Daniel."

"Daniel is the baby I presume?" Auror Mackenzie asked, his quick-note quill writing away furiously.

"Yes," Harry replied, "When he started getting belligerent I threw him out on his arse and told him to never come back again."

"According to your neighbors, who we just finished interviewing, you also threatened to kill him," Seamus said, watching Harry's reaction closely.

"Well, er...yeah, I guess I said something to that effect," Harry said, "I didn't mean it though. I was angry at how he was trying to manipulate Hermione."

"Did you leave Ms. Granger's room at all last night, maybe you went home to shower or change?" Seamus asked.

"No, I went home this morning to do that," Harry replied, "Do you consider me a suspect?"

"Well, I..." Seamus started, only to be interrupted by Ron who asked, "You can't possibly think that Harry would kill someone? Other than V-Voldemort, of course."

"I..." Seamus started again but was interrupted by Edna who said, "Harry didn't kill anyone...I-I did it."

"What?" came a chorus of astonished voices.

"And who are you?" Seamus asked.

"I'm Edna, Hermione's boss and good friend," Edna replied, her voice shaking a bit.

"Edna didn't do it, I did," Luna said quickly, causing everyone to turn and stare at her incredulously.

"No, Luna didn't do it, I did," Ron admitted hastily, "Gave the wanker just what he deserved."

"And he deserved to die because...?" Seamus asked, waiting for Ron to answer, a little amused at his friends reactions and confused by the sudden onslaught of confessions.

"I-I...because," Ron stuttered nervously, "He was mean and rude to Hermione and Harry."

"Ronald!" Mrs. Weasley exclaimed, astonished at her son's confession, "What are you saying?"

"It wasn't Ron," Neville said loudly, interrupting the chaos, "I did it. I saw how upset Hermione got every time she just mentioned his name, so I...I went to his room last night and well...you know the rest."

"Neville!" Ginny cried, "You can't possibly be serious?"

"QUIET!" Seamus yelled, shocking everyone in the room into silence and startling Daniel. Taking a deep breath to calm himself he said, "I know for a fact that no one in this room killed Michel Dubois."

"What?"

"But you said..."

"Then who...?"

"I just asked Ms. Granger when she saw him last," Seamus explained, "I never accused her or Harry of killing him, did I? You lot are barmy, you know that? Bloody hell! I hope if I ever commit a crime you're all there to take the blame for me." When Mackenzie started to snicker next to him he glared at the young Auror, causing the smile to melt quickly off his face. "Now, we have the murderer at the Ministry already, and she's confessed to everything."

"She?" Hermione asked expectantly.

"Her name is Michelle Deumel," Seamus replied, "I believe she went to school with you and Mr. Dubois?" When Hermione shook her head in agreement he continued to explain, "It seems that you were not the only one that Mr. Dubois was playing games with. He and Ms. Deumel had a relationship and when she became pregnant he 'flew the coop', I guess you could say."

"Oh," Hermione said, stunned by the information.

"He had visited her the day before he checked into The Leady Cauldron and from what she's told us, he tried to extort money from her in exchange for his parental rights," Seamus said.

"Sounds familiar," Harry said under his breath and then made his way to the side of Hermione's bed. Taking her hand in his, he asked, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she replied not looking Harry in the eye, not wanting him to know how hurt by this she was. "I just can't believe that he did these things. That's not the Michel I knew."

"From what we could gather from a list we found in his room, Mr. Dubois was blackmailing two other women also," Seamus said with a sympathetic look on his face. "I'm sorry to put a damper on the party, but I felt you should know."

"Thank you Auror Finnegan," Hermione said with a sad smile.

"Yeah, thanks for letting us know Seamus, and sorry about this lot," Harry said, motioning toward Ron and the rest of their friends, "They were just being overprotective, as usual."

"I understand," Seamus said, walking up to Harry and holding out his hand for Harry to shake. "It seems you're going to have your hands full in the coming weeks, eh?"

Harry looked at Hermione and as his gaze traveled to Daniel he said, "I sure hope so."