Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dreams Can Come True by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dreams Can Come True

MisCard


~A/N> Today's my birthday, so to celebrate I'm posting an extra chapter this week :) Thanks for all the wonderful reviews on the last chapter. As for Hermione's Mum in this story, I based her off of the Mum from the movie "For Keeps", she plays Molly Ringwald's character's Mother. Thanks as always to Spaz for her beta work, and I hope y'all enjoy!!!!! :) Oh, and the next update will be on Saturday!

When Hermione was finally able to pull herself together she stood up and made her way to the fireplace in the back room. Carelessly tossing in the floo powder she said, "Granger Residence" in a raspy voice and walked into the green flames.

Thankfully when she got home her Mum was already asleep. She didn't think she could take an inquisition by her Mother right now about why she looked like she had been crying. If Hermione mentioned going out with Harry her Mum would probably throw a bloody fit about how the last boy she was with had gotten her in 'trouble'.

Making herself some nice warm cocoa, Hermione made her way up to her room. After changing into her nightclothes she crawled under the covers, turned on the TV so the room wouldn't be so quiet and sipped her cocoa. As she stared at the screen she wasn't seeing the program that was currently on, she just kept seeing the events of the evening flashing before her eyes. As she remembered how Harry's hand had felt against her back and how happy she had felt with him, she started to cry all over again and asked, "What did I do to deserve this?" as she rubbed her hand over her slightly bulging stomach.

~*~

Harry found himself back at Neville's cafe the next afternoon. Ron had called and asked if he wanted to join him and Dean for lunch; if Harry had known this was where they were going he would have turned them down. He felt like shite as it was, he'd only gotten about two hours of sleep after he had gone back to his flat. After walking away from Hermione he had gone for a long walk, replaying the entire night out in his head. He couldn't help thinking that she was the witch he was meant to be with, but there was no way he could be with her when she was carrying another wizard's child. The press harassed him constantly now, he didn't even want to think of the hell the press would put her through if they started dating or became serious.

"Hello? Harry?" Ron asked as he passed his hand in front of Harry's face, "Are you with us mate?"

"What? Oh, sorry, I was just thinking about last night," he explained as Neville walked up to their table.

"Hey," he said, "thanks for coming by." Turning to Harry he smiled and said, "When I asked you to stop by again I didn't think it'd be so soon, I figured I wouldn't see you for at least another week."

Harry smiled weakly at Neville and replied, "I just can't stand eating anywhere else but here now Neville, everywhere else is just ruined for me after your great service."

Neville laughed at Harry's cheekiness and asked, "So where's Hermione? Don't tell me you're tired of her already? She seemed like a keeper to me."

Harry's face fell at the mention of her name and said, "Yeah, well, doesn't look like that one's gonna work out mate."

Ron, Dean and Neville all looked at him curiously as Ron asked, "Is Hermione the witch you went chasing after yesterday, from the pub?"

"Yeah that's her, I found out she works for Edna and I went in last night and asked her out. We ended up coming here to have a cuppa and a chat," Harry explained, "After I dropped her off last night I realized that it just wouldn't work between us."

"Wouldn't put out for you 'eh?" Dean asked, slapping Harry jokingly on the shoulder. The look Harry shot him caused Dean to move away; Harry was angry and a little frightening. "I'm just joking mate, take it easy," he said, hoping to appease his friends sudden anger.

"She's not like that," Harry replied, turning away from Dean, "She's different from the other birds I've gone out with."

Thankfully Ron changed the subject to Quidditch as he and Dean started debating who would win the Cup that season. Soon Neville brought their food out and the table was quiet as they enjoyed the excellent meal. They talked for a bit more and then Ron said, "Well, I have to go meet Luna at her Father's office, I'll see you guys later."

"I have to go that way too, I'll walk with you," Dean replied, tossing a few knuts on the table. "See ya later Harry," he said with a quick slap on the back.

"If you want to go out later let me know," Ron said, "We can go out and see if maybe we can find a new witch for you to moon over."

"Thanks for the offer Ron but I'm not up to it tonight," Harry replied. Ron just shrugged and with a quick wave walked out of the cafe.

Neville walked up after they had left and asked, "Do you mind if I sit down?"

"No, have a seat," Harry replied and then took a sip of his tea. Neville sat across from him and watched Harry, his scrutiny making Harry uncomfortable. "What?" he asked a little shortly.

After a moment of silence Neville replied, "I'm wondering what the real reason is behind you not seeing Hermione anymore."

"I told you before, I realized it wouldn't work out between us," Harry answered, angered that Neville could see through his excuse so easily.

"I just can't believe that," Neville said, "When the two of you were in here last night you looked so happy together. It's been a while since I've seen you that relaxed with anyone."

Harry sighed and ran a hand through his hair; he looked at Neville and knew that he could confide in him, they had become good friends the last couple of years at Hogwarts and Harry had found himself telling him things that he couldn't share with Ron or any of his other dorm mates. "After we left here last night I walked her back to the shop," Harry started, "She uses the shop fireplace to floo between work and home. When we were saying good night I asked her if she would go out with me again..."

"And she said no?" Neville asked, "I find that hard to believe."

"No, she said yes, it's just that...she said she had something she needed to tell me first. I thought maybe there was another bloke or something but...she told me she was pregnant," Harry replied, dropping his eyes to the cup in his hands.

"Oh," Neville said quietly. After a moment of silence Neville asked, "Is the Father still in the picture?"

"No, the wanker slept with her and then broke up with her," Harry explained, "What kind of a bloke would do that?"

"I don't know," Neville replied, "If I was lucky enough to find a witch as sweet and kind as Hermione I don't think I'd ever let her get away."

"But what about the bloody papers?" Harry asked suddenly, "If they found out that I was going out with her they would have a field day exposing her pregnancy. I could just see the headlines now-'Mystery Witch Pregnant with Boy-Who-Defeated-You-Know-Who's Love Child'. I don't need that and she certainly doesn't deserve it."

"You seemed to really like her," Neville replied, "If you wanted to be with her bad enough you wouldn't give a damn about the bloody papers."

Harry looked at Neville, surprised at the words he had used. Harry couldn't remember ever hearing Neville swear before, let alone raise his voice. "I do really like her, it's just that...oh hell, I don't know what to do."

"Instead of making up your mind so quickly, why don't you take some time to think on it?" Neville asked, "You may just realize that she's worth taking a chance on."

"Since when did you become an expert on relationships?" Harry asked with a slight smile.

Neville smiled back and replied, "Ever since I watched you, Ron, Dean and Seamus with all those birds at Hogwarts. I took note of what not to do should I ever be lucky enough to find a witch that would go out with me."

"Very funny," Harry said with a newfound respect for his friend. "Thanks Neville," he said as he stood up, "I'll be in again soon; there are only a few things that I know how to make and I'm getting tired of eating the same things night after night."

"You're welcome anytime," Neville said, "Hopefully the next time you come in you'll have Hermione with you."

"We'll see," Harry replied and then walked out of the cafe, intent on deciding whether or not he'd be seeing Miss Granger again.

~*~

When Edna saw Hermione the next day she took in her appearance and said, "I'm going to cuff that boy on the head the next time I see him. I told him he'd better treat you right; it's obvious that he did something to upset you."

After arguing with her Mother the entire morning Hermione was happy to see Edna; she could talk to Edna without being judged or preached too and she could always count on a hug to make her feel better. "It's okay Edna, he was a perfect gentleman last night," she explained, "he took me to the new cafe down the street; we had tea and chatted for quite a while."

"Then why do you look so sad today?" Edna asked.

Hermione sat down in the chair next to Edna's and explained, "He walked me back here afterwards and he asked if I would go out with him again. I told him I'd love to but that there was something he should know first..."

"You told him you were pregnant?" Edna asked, impressed by Hermione's honesty.

"I did," Hermione replied, "And he couldn't get away from me fast enough. He said he'd come see me soon, which in bloke speak basically means, 'don't call me, I'll call you'."

"Oh luv, I'm so sorry," Edna said, wrapping her arms around her, hoping to give her some comfort.

"I thought he might-I was hoping that he would be different. After I told him he thanked me for my honesty and left as quickly as he could," Hermione explained, upset that she had tears in her eyes yet again.

"Don't be discouraged luv, the right wizard for you is out there somewhere, you'll find him when the time is right," Edna said encouragingly.

Hermione looked at Edna and smiled slightly, "You're probably right," she replied, "It's just that I really thought I had met him last night and I was wrong."

~*~

A week later Hermione hadn't seen or heard from Harry and she had all but given up. Every time the door opened to the shop she looked up hoping to see him come through the door, and every time she was disappointed when she saw that it was someone else; by the following Friday she had given up hope that she would ever see him again.

Luna Lovegood, Ron's long time girlfriend, went into Flourish and Blotts that night to pick up a book her Father had special ordered and hadn't had time to pick up himself. When she walked into the shop she saw Hermione by the bookcases doing what looked to be inventory; she knew it had to be Hermione because Harry had given them such a detailed description that she would recognize her anywhere.

Walking up to the counter where Edna was Luna smiled and said, "Good evening Miss Edna, I'm here to pick up the book that Daddy ordered two weeks ago."

"Hello Luna," Edna replied smiling, "And how is your Father doing these days?"

"He's working too hard, as usual," Luna answered, smiling at the obvious concern in Edna's voice. Edna had always fancied her Dad a bit and if her Dad were truthful with himself he'd admit that he fancied Edna a bit also. As she took the book and paid she leaned closer to her and asked, "The new witch over there, is that Hermione Granger?"

"Yes, that's her," Edna replied, curious by Luna's question, "How did you know her name?"

"Harry was over for dinner at Ron's flat the other night and she's all he could talk about," Luna explained, "He obviously fancies her and now I can see why. She's not like other witches is she?"

"He has a funny way of showing it," Edna chuffed, "He all but ran away from Hermione after their first date and he hasn't called or came by since. She's really hurt but she's trying to pretend she's okay."

"That doesn't sound like Harry," Luna said, "Ron had mentioned that Harry had said something about things not working out between them, but then Harry kept bringing her up whenever possible all night long. Besides, he usually likes a challenge, especially when it comes to the witch he's interested in, and he's usually kind and polite."

"That's what I said," Edna replied, "I know the reason but even that is puzzling me because I didn't think that would hold him back."

Luna looked over at Hermione and then looked back at Edna and asked, "Could you introduce me to her? Harry said she just moved here recently and didn't know many people yet; maybe she could use a friend right about now."

"That's a lovely idea Luna," Edna said, beaming at her. "Hermione, could you come here for a moment?"

They watched as Hermione walked towards the register, walked up to Edna and asked, "Do you need me to do something?"

"No, I just wanted to introduce you to the daughter of one of my dear friends," Edna explained, causing Luna's smile to grow even bigger, "Hermione, this is Luna Lovegood...Luna, this is Hermione Granger."

"It's nice to meet you," Luna replied, "Edna was explaining how you were new to the area and I thought maybe I could show you all the great places to shop, you know, give you the grand tour."

Hermione smiled back at her, immediately taking to the bubbly blonde, and said, "I'd like that, I haven't had the chance to meet anyone my age, well one person, but I don't count him as an acquaintance."

Luna knew she was referring to Harry and tried not to giggle, she knew Hermione wouldn't appreciate her giggling at that moment. "Are you doing anything tomorrow night?" she asked.

"No, I'm working until five and then I was just planning to sit home reading a good book," Hermione answered.

"How about I come by about five-thirty and we can grab some dinner and see the sights?" Luna offered.

"That sounds great," Hermione replied. Luna seemed so nice and Hermione knew that Edna wouldn't have introduced her unless she knew and fully trusted her.

"Great! So I'll see you tomorrow at five-thirty," Luna said, "Thanks Edna."

"You're welcome dear," Edna replied, waving as Luna walked out of the shop. Turning towards Hermione she said, "I hope you didn't mind, I just thought that you might like to meet another witch your age, and Luna is such a sweet, friendly girl."

"No, I was glad to meet her," Hermione replied, "It'll be nice to have a friend to do things with, instead of my Mum all the time; I just hope tomorrow night goes well."

"So do I luv," Edna said, silently hoping Hermione wouldn't be upset with her when she found out that she conveniently left out the part about Luna being the girlfriend of Harry Potter's best friend, "So do I."