Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dreams Can Come True by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dreams Can Come True

MisCard


~A/N> (HUGS) to all of you who have read HBP and need some major H/Hr fluffiness. To everyone who hasn't read the book yet, here's an extra chapter :) I hope you enjoy this, and just to let you know this is the last pre-written chapter I have. I am going to work hard to keep up my weekly Saturday updates and I am also going to try to work on my other two stories if I can get some extra time. RL sucks! There never seems to be enough hours in a day. Major thanks to Poppywillow for her continuing encouragement, support and friendship and to everyone who reviewed the last chapter!


Harry stood there, looking back and forth between Hermione and Michel, feeling confused and uncertain. Seeing the way Hermione reacted to Michel caused many feelings; anger, jealousy, protectiveness and dispair seemed to be the most prominent. 'What the hell is this arsehole doing here?' he thought, and then the article suddenly came to mind. "Damn Rita Skeeter!" he said, unaware that he had spoken aloud and broken the trance that Hermione seemed to be in.

"M-Michel?" Hermione asked again, still unable to believe he was standing right in front of her, "What are you doing here?"

"It's not like I could stay away after I saw the article in the Daily Prophet," he replied with a phony smile, "I mean, that is my baby you're carrying, right?"

"Um, why don't we go somewhere and talk?" Hermione asked him, and then turning to Edna she asked, "Would it be okay if we used your office?"

"Of course Dear," Edna replied. Harry watched hopelessly as Hermione and Michel made their way to the office and when Edna looked at Harry she could tell that his emotions were in turmoil. "Harry, luv, are you all right?"

"I don't know," he replied honesty. He looked at Edna and said, "I just found her Edna, I can't let him take her away from me. I was a sodding prick to walk away from her the first time, I just...I can't lose her to him."

"Oh dearie, I don't think you'll have to worry about that," Edna replied as she walked up and gave Harry a hug. "I've seen the way she looks at you Harry; you already hold a special place in her heart. But Michel is the Father of her child and he will be in her life."

"Why do you really think he came here?" Harry asked looking back at the office where he could see the two of them in a heated discussion.

"I'm not sure," Edna replied, "But I don't think that any good can come from his visit."

~*~

"You want me to WHAT?!" Hermione screeched, unable to believe the bullshit that was coming out of Michel's mouth. "You actually expect me to go back to France with you and marry you?"

"Yes," Michel said with a calm that infuriated her, "That's my baby too, and it's only right that we get married and provide a family for him or her."

"Not bloody likely," Hermione spat, "You couldn't get rid of me fast enough before I moved back to London and now you suddenly show up concerned about giving our baby a family? What's the real reason you're here?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Michel replied, his calm demeanor slipping a bit, "I just told you why I came." When Hermione just stood there with her arms crossed over her chest glaring at him, he said, "Oh, all right. I noticed how cozy you and Potter looked in that picture; it seems his reputation for playing the hero and always doing the right thing is well earned considering he doesn't mind being seen with you when you're carrying my baby. I thought maybe, if he cared for you so much, that I could convince him to make me an offer to sign away my parental rights. I'm sure he'd gladly pay to have me out of your life and his."

"WHAT?!!" Hermione shouted as she advanced on Michel and shoved him against the door. "How dare you! You found out I was pregnant and going out with Harry Potter so you figured you would show up here and extort money from him? Why should he care if you sign your parental rights away? It's not like we're in a serious relationship, so why would he care what you do concerning our child?"

Michel studied her for a moment with a look of utter dislike on his face. She knew he had no feelings for her or for their baby...but his blatant disregard for her feelings and his cold approach to it all hit a spot deep within her that hadn't yet healed. She looked at him as he started to walk toward her and said, "Well what do you think the papers would pay for my story, hmmm? I bet they would love to hear how the great Harry Potter stole the Mother of my child away from me. Or I could tell them all about how you ran away when you found out you were pregnant and never intended to tell me...how you ran straight into Potter's arms so that you could seduce him and make him think the baby was his..."

Suddenly a resounding 'SMACK!' filled the room and Michels head snapped to the side with the force of the slap Hermione had just delivered. He turned back to look at her with anger in his eyes and when he started to advance on her she pulled out her wand and held it to his chest.

"Leave," she growled, "And don't you ever come back here again, do you understand? If you ever come near me again spewing threats and bullshit stories, so help me Merlin, I will kill you!"

"You haven't seen the last of me, mark my words," Michel spat angrily, "Your empty threats aren't going to scare me away."

"Get OUT!" she yelled, yanking the door open, "Stay away from me, stay away from Harry, and don't think you're getting anywhere near my baby; as far as he or she will know, you don't exist." As he slowly walked out the door, Hermione shoved him from behind to make him walk faster, hoping to get him out of the shop without him saying anything to Harry. When they passed by Edna and Harry and she saw Michel open his mouth to say something she pushed him quickly out the door. She watched as he stood outside glaring at her for a moment before he said, "That's my baby too, and I'll be damned if you're going to keep me from being it's Father," and then stalked his way toward the Leaky Cauldron.

Hermione jumped when she felt a hand on her arm, turning her around. When she saw the quizzical, caring look on Harry's face she broke into tears and let him pull her into his arms. She stood there with her face buried in the crook of Harry's neck as tears poured from her eyes and Harry ran his hand soothingly up and down her back, muttering "It'll be okay," and "I won't let him hurt you again."

~*~

Two hours later found Harry and Hermione back at their flat, sitting quietly at the Kitchen table drinking tea. Hermione had refused to talk about what had happened in the office to make her react the way she had, and Harry was bursting with impatience and curiosity. When Hermione had walked out of the office, shoving Michel out the door, he had never seen a more fearsome witch or wizard in his life; she probably would've given Voldemort a run for his money, that he was sure of.

Hermione stood up, breaking Harry from his musings as she quietly said, "I think I'm going to turn in now. Good night Harry."

"G'night Hermione," he replied. He hated how sad she looked; he knew she was upset, but he didn't want to push her into talking to him. He wanted her to confide in him because she trusted him, not because he kept bothering her about it. He watched her walk away and noticed how she hung her head and her shoulders slumped from the emotional weight she was carrying. He wanted so badly to make her feel better that his heart ached from it. Deciding a few minutes later that he mine as well turn in too, he rinsed out his cup and placed it in the sink. Walking down the hallway he raised his arms over his head, feeling his muscles stretching and protesting from lack of use. He made a mental note to start working out soon, before he became more out of shape than he already was.

He stopped abruptly as he heard Hermione sobbing inside her room and before his mind could overrule his heart, he knocked twice and walked in without her telling him he could. As he walked in he saw her in her recliner rocking slowly back and forth with her head in her hands as she cried. Her whole body shook as her tears cascaded down her face and Harry quickly crossed the room to where she was and dropped to his knees in front of her.

"Hermione, luv, what's wrong?" he asked, desperately wanting to help her, "Please talk to me."

She slowly raised her head and looked at him through her swollen eyes. His breath caught in his throat at the look of utter dispair that graced her beautiful face. Raising his hand up to her cheek, he gently wiped away the tears that lingered there and asked again, "Will you please tell me what's wrong? I can't stand to see you so upset."

She gave him a small shaky smile as she wiped the tears from her other cheek. "I'm sorry," she said with a hiccup from all her crying, "you must think I'm some daft blubbering pregnant woman."

"No I don't," he replied as he rubbed his thumb over her skin, "I think that something happened today that greatly upset you and for some reason you feel you can't talk to me about it." When his suspicions were substanciated by the look in her eyes he said, "You can tell me anything Hermione, I promise I will help you in any way I can."

Hermione took a deep, calming breath as she contemplated whether to tell Harry about her conversation with Michel or if she should just blame her behavior away as pregnancy hormones. Deep down she was scared that if she told him the truth he would leave her again and she didn't think she could bare losing him again. Deciding to tell him the truth in case Michel actually went through with any of his threats, she took another deep breath and said, "I'm upset about some things that Michel said today..."

She went on to tell him the entire conversation that took place in Edna's office, all the threats that Michel had made, and the true reason he had come to London. When she was finished she looked down at her swollen stomach and ran her hand lovingly over where the baby lay curled up safe and warm, oblivious to the trouble and turmoil its' Mum was going through. "Why would anyone want to exploit a helpless little baby like that?" she asked sadly, "He doesn't care about me or the baby at all, all he wanted was to somehow make money off of us."

Harry hadn't said a word the entire time, he had just held her hands in his while she explained what had transpired, giving her the support he felt she needed to get everything out. Now that she was quiet, he stood quickly and said, "I'll kill the sodding bastard, I swear to Merlin!"

Hermione watched as he paced angrily back and forth in front of her, coming up with various ways to maim, castrate, and kill Michel; she knew how he felt because it was the same way she had felt when she was pushing Michel out of the shop. The fact that he was angry at Michel and didn't seem upset with her made some of her anxiety subside. Now she just had to make sure he didn't act on the various thoughts that were running through his head.

"Harry, I didn't tell you everything to make you angry, I wanted you to know what Michel was up to in case he actually went through with any of his threats," she said, grabbing his arm to stop him from pacing.

Harry looked at her and sighed as he ran his hand angrily through his hair; the fact that Michel had only showed up to hurt her even more made him so angry that he wished he had the git in front of him right now so he could beat the shit out of him. Taking a calming breath, he looked at Hermione and said, "I'm sorry, I just want to strangle him for hurting you again."

Hermione smiled at him and wrapped her arms around his waist, hugging him. When he wrapped his arms around her, hugging her back, she sighed at the comfort she felt and laid her head on his chest. As she listened to his heartbeat she closed her eyes, relishing the way he made her feel safe and protected from the big, bad world.

Harry held her in his arms, loving the way she fit against him perfectly. When she laid her head against his chest he lay his head on top of hers, enjoying the warmth and comfort he seemed to always feel when she was in his arms.

The mood was broken when Hermione suddenly pulled away from him, put her hand on her stomach and asked, "Did you feel that?"

"Feel what?" he asked, confused by her turn in behavior.

"I just felt the baby kick for the first time," she replied with a big smile on her face.

Harry shook his head 'no' and held his hands out toward her stomach; "Can I..."

Not even letting him finish his question, she grabbed one of his hands and placed it over the spot where she had felt the kick. He was a little disappointed when he didn't feel anything and seeing the disappointment on his face she said, "You might not be able to feel it for a few more months."

They both stood there for a moment, enjoying the silence and revelling in the new development that had seemed to lighten the mood a bit. Harry looked up from where his hand was resting on her stomach and asked, "What does it feel like...knowing that there's a tiny human being growing inside you?"

Hermione smiled sadly at how innocently child-like he sounded and realized he probably hadn't been around many pregnant women, if any at all. "It's the most wonderful feeling in the world," she replied.

Harry smiled at her and slowly withdrew his hand as he said, "I um, I should leave so that you can go to bed and get some sleep. You're probably tired after the trying day you've had."

"Um, yeah, I guess I should," she replied. Harry took a step toward her and slowly bent down to place a gentle kiss on her lips. "Good night Hermione."

"Good night," she whispered, her lips tingling from his kiss. She watched as he walked toward the door and just as he was about to step into the hallway she called out, "Harry, wait." When he stopped and turned to face her, she fidgeted nervously and before she lost her nerve she asked quickly, "Would you sleep with me tonight? I mean not that kind of 'sleep', but, I mean sleep next to me in my bed? I really don't want to sleep alone tonight."

Harry stood there silently, wondering if it would be possible for him to share a bed with her in such an innocent fashion. When he looked into her eyes and saw that there was still sadness lingering there he replied, "Sure, just let me go change into my pyjamas."

As he walked toward his room, Hermione let out the breath she didn't know she had been holding. She couldn't believe she had just asked him to share her bed, but a small part of her was aflutter at the thought. She wouldn't admit it aloud, but she had felt so lonely lately and the only time that loneliness seemed to disappear was when she was around Harry. Trying to quell her nervousness, she walked to her bed, removed her robe and crawled under the covers.

After quickly changing and brushing his teeth, Harry made his way toward Hermione's room once more. He couldn't sort out what he was feeling, but he knew there was a part of him that was excited to be able to lay next to Hermione, maybe even get to hold her while she slept. He just had to keep reminding himself that nothing sexual was going to happen; he didn't want to do anything that might screw up what was happening between them, whether it be friendship or romance. He knocked quietly so as not to walk in on her changing and opened the door only when she had said to come in. He manuvered his way toward the bed and slid under the covers next to her.

She turned toward him and with a small smile said, "Thank you for doing this Harry."

Harry smiled back at her and replied, "I understand, I've felt the same way myself a time or two." Harry watched as she yawned and snuggled into her pillow; he couldn't help but notice the look of contentment on her face and hoped that him being there was the reason for it.

"G'night Harry," she said sleepily as her eyes closed slowly.

"Good night Hermione," he replied quietly and a few moments later they were both sound asleep.