Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bring the Rain by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bring the Rain

jardyn39

Bring the Rain

by Jardyn39

Summary

Harry receives a belated invitation to join the Grangers for the Easter holidays. Looking forward to helping out with their redecorating, he soon finds himself implicated in a bank robbery. Arthur and Kingsley will help as soon as they extricate themselves from a certain cupboard, and even Dumbledore may struggle not to laugh at Harry's first and memorable attempt at Apparating. Regrettably, though, Harry may just have come to the attention of his Eminence. Inevitably, Harry finds himself trying to break into the very bank he was falsely suspected of robbing.

Introduction

Peter Hammond is a character introduced in "The Hunter," and is a Muggle policeman nearing retirement who helped Harry and in whom Harry confided before introducing him to Dumbledore. Hammond is an acute observer and a clever and experienced investigating detective.

In that story he gifted an old Hunter pocket watch to Harry that had magical properties, including an anti-Apparition charm that prevents anyone Apparating or Disapparating close by.

The Hammond character was also called upon in "A Pauper's Time," where he helped solve the clues that lead to a rescue.

This story begins just before the Easter holidays in Harry's Sixth year.

Chapter 1: Prologue

Harry's Sixth Year, Easter

Detective Chief Inspector Peter Hammond smiled courteously as he walked through the fire door being held open for him by his long time friend and fellow policeman Andy Pagelow.

Pagelow had been gushing his thanks ever since Hammond had arrived.

"I can't tell you how grateful I am," he continued as they walked along the corridor.

"It's no problem, Andy," said Hammond. "Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can help, though."

"The thing is," Pagelow said quietly, slowing down as they reached the half glazed partitioning. "I'm running out of ideas on this one. This is my first major investigation, after all."

"We all have investigations that stop through lack of leads," Hammond said encouragingly. "We've worked on plenty like that together. It's no reflection of you."

"That's the problem," he replied. "It is reflecting on me!"

They entered the smallest of the three incident rooms on that floor, where they found a group of three plain clothed detectives standing in front of the evidence board, chuckling amongst themselves.

"Ah," said one as they entered. "The Great One returns. Got any more suspects?"

"I hear there's a kid in the school over the road who's called Rob. He's only five but you can't take any chances these days."

"Clear out of here you lot, now!" said Pagelow loudly.

Then the third, who had just noticed Hammond's visitor badge and his rank, cleared his throat and said, "I need to get on," before beating a hasty retreat. The others followed.

Pagelow tried to slam the door after them, but the hydraulic door closer refused to be hurried. Meanwhile, Hammond was looking carefully at the spartan board where the notes of the evidence were collated.

"I don't see anything about a Rob here," he commented.

"No, it's just their little joke. Rob as in Robber, you see?"

"Sorry," said Hammond with a smile as a dejected looking Pagelow slumped into a seat.

"Do you have any other help?"

"Yes. A Sergeant from uniform. She's collecting some results from the lab."

"Any good?"

"Reliable but inexperienced. Still, quite enthusiastic. I'm lucky to have her really. It's only because of the value of the stolen items that she's been assigned to this investigation."

Hammond sat, thinking that description of the Sergeant could apply equally to Pagelow himself a few years ago when he had been assigned to assist him.

"Tell me what you have, from the beginning. You know I often do the same. I find that talking things through often helps you see things more clearly."

*

Hammond and Pagelow were sitting in silence looking at the evidence board when the door opened and in came a smart young woman wearing a new looking, plain suit.

"Peter, this is Sergeant Trent. Susan, this is Detective Chief Inspector Hammond."

"Hi," she said dumping the plastic evidence bags on the table and holding out her hand. "Call me Susan."

"Hello, Susan," said Hammond and his eyes glanced down to the table.

He did a slight double take.

Inside one of the clear polythene bags, he could clearly read a name. It was upside down.

Hammond reached down and slowly rotated the bag using the tips of his fingers.

There was no mistake. It read, "Harry Potter."