Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bring the Rain by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bring the Rain

jardyn39

Bring the Rain

by Jardyn39

Chapter 9: His Eminence

Harry stood in the darkness, listening for any clue as to where he might be. There was nothing but silence and the air smelled damp and stale.

"Lumos!" he whispered.

He appeared to be standing in a small, windowless cell. The only door was closed.

He pushed the door, but it would not open. It clanged dully against the metal frame. Indeed, from the small amount of movement the door made, he wondered if it was locked at all. The door on his side was completely flush, but Harry managed to pull the heavy metal door open inwards using his fingertips.

The hinges were stiff and slightly rusted but he was thankful that the door opened almost silently.

Harry peered cautiously down the long corridor before stepping out. At the far end one way a wall was bathed in what looked like lantern light. Harry looked the other way. That was darker but he began to hear distant footsteps approaching. It sounded like they were coming from the darker end.

He hesitated, trying to decide whether to run or confront whoever was approaching.

He decided not to run. It was his intention to speak to Edenhardt anyway. It seemed likely that was where he had been brought anyway.

Harry extinguished his wand and stepped out into the corridor.

He listened intently as the footsteps grew much closer. Gradually, he could see a flickering light reflected off the stone walls. It looked like someone was carrying a lantern.

Harry raised his wand and waited in the darkness.

"Good day," said the goblin.

Harry spun around. He had been expecting the person with the footsteps to approach from the other direction entirely.

The goblin was smiling, clearly pleased with himself that his deception had worked so well.

"Um. Hi," replied Harry, composing himself and lowering his wand. "I appear to have arrived here by accident."

"It was no mistake," replied the goblin. "My name is Grublok. May I escort you to his Eminence?"

"Sure," said Harry, pocketing his wand. He realised that if the goblin intended him harm he had given him plenty of opportunity to attack his back.

They walked up several flights of stone steps and out into a large hallway. An ornate staircase led upstairs and a large circular rooflight gave the area a welcoming appearance. The walls were adorned with Muggle portraits and landscapes.

Grublok walked over to a pair of doors and knocked lightly. Without waiting for a response, he entered.

The goblin bowed deeply to the back of the chair in front of the blazing fireplace. The room was incredibly warm.

"I have the honour to present Mister Harry Potter, your Eminence," said the goblin before leaving. Harry noticed him bowing again just before closing the doors behind him.

Harry looked back to see a frail looking figure rise out of the chair and hold out his hand.

Harry walked confidently over and shook his hand. The old man's skin was like ice.

"I'm sorry that Grublok didn't wait to introduce us properly," he said with a smile. "My name is Edenhardt. Please, take a seat. Perhaps you would do me the honour of your company for a few minutes before you leave."

Edenhardt sat down again, and Harry sat in a nearby chair.

"I'm sorry it's so warm in here, I do feel the cold these days."

Edenhardt smiled warmly and said, "As I expect you realise by now, the coin acts act a Portkey when being touched by someone also touching an embossed emblem inside a certain booklet."

Harry nodded and took out the booklet from his pocket.

"Professor Dumbledore recognised it as a Portkey when I first got my watch. He thought it was dormant, though."

"Dumbledore? I regret never meeting him. He has a reputation for being an excellent teacher. Dear Julie thought the world of him."

"May I ask what this membership list represents?"

"Oh, those names aren't members. Those are just people that are still evading us. Look on the second page."

Harry did so. The top line read, "Powell, Giles." The second line read, "Powell, Julie née Edenhardt."

A chill went through him, despite the heat.

"Grublok has begged me not to put your name in there all week."

"Do so, if it makes you feel better," said Harry, offering him the book.

"You aren't afraid of me at all, are you?"

"No," replied Harry honestly, "but these people are. What did they do to deserve this? She's obviously quite disturbed by her experiences with you people. Why not let them have a life?"

"Aren't you angry with her for trying to implicate yourself?"

"I was, but right now I just pity them. They've both been living in fear all these years."

"Indeed. It might have been more sensible to live somewhere less conspicuous, though, don't you think?"

"I think she wanted to take revenge. Staying there just increased the chances of them capturing you there."

"Very well, cross out their names and insert your own if you wish."

Harry went over to the desk and wrote his name in the book. He hesitated before crossing out the names.

"See?" he said holding up the book.

Edenhardt nodded with a quizzical expression. Harry tossed the book into the fire.

"But, you crossed out all the names."

"I thought it would simplify things."

"How kind."

"So, how do you want to do this?"

"I'm not going to fight you, Mr Potter. Besides, could you really attack someone without any magical ability?"

"You can't perform magic?"

"No, I lost all my magic when I died."

"I don't understand."

"My corpse was reanimated."

Harry sighed and sat down again.

"I gave my word to Grublok that I would not hurt you, nor allow you to be harmed, while Voldemort lives. I will not break my word.

"You have ensured that none of the names you crossed out are harmed, even those that are currently supporters of Voldemort."

"Some of them were really supporters?"

"Yes. I won't tell them they are in the clear, if you don't."

Harry smiled.

"I also freely promise that none of your friends or family will suffer at my hand. I will also promise not to harm you, even after Voldemort's final defeat, but only in exchange for one thing."

"What is that?"

"The Ministry persecuted me while I was alive. The only version of myself and my actions, that you think you know, comes from them. I'd just like to explain my actions and views from my perspective. I don't ask you to believe, just to listen."

Harry considered this request and finally said, "I don't need your promise, but I will listen."

Edenhardt's ancient face broke into a smile.

*

Edenhardt stared into the fire, collecting his memories.

"In truth, I am guilty of many things. However I have been somewhat irked to have been falsely accused of so much. Before those false accusations I honestly believe I never acted immorally nor broke any just law.

"It all started many years ago, when a group of us came together to buy a modest area of land where we proposed to live and work away from the magical community.

"I was a widower with two small children at the time, and I was very glad of the support I received from my friends.

"I suppose I first came to the attention of the Ministry when they insisted that we had to obtain their permission first. They said we were a potential risk and that the magical community would be discovered.

"It seemed to us that all they wanted was a bribe to look the other way. My public comments did not go down at all well with the Minister.

"Anyway, we set up our little commune in spite of the Ministry's objections. For a few years things went well. Unfortunately there was a new election and both main candidates decided to make us their main campaigning issue.

"The most extraordinary stories filled the newspapers. They printed nothing but lies and rumours and they were entirely deaf to my objections.

"When the elections were over, we were declared an illegal organisation. Everything I owned and had worked so hard for was confiscated overnight.

"The thing that really made me angry, though, was the destruction of my published works. You know, I no longer even possess a copy myself?

"These days, everybody thinks my works contained some diabolic message. In truth, although you will never read it, they were merely some texts on setting up a community and advice on planning.

"After that, things started to get out of control."

Edenhardt's look became harder.

"As we were thrust amongst people who lived outside the law, our attitudes began to change. We introduced new members and, I must admit, our common aims changed. Personally, I wanted revenge against the Ministry. Most of the others wanted personal gain.

"To my shame, I permitted this to happen. Worse, I encouraged us to exploit the fear with which we were greeted.

"It was the Minister who coined the name Eminence for me. He promoted me as some leader of a religious cult. I used it against him, though, and it gave me no end of pleasure to hear him utter that name with his dying breath.

"Gradually, altogether too late, I came to realise the harm that was being done in my name. Our, or rather, my reputation had gone from being entirely false to entirely true. I blame the Ministry for that, but I now accept that I had a responsibility too.

"The end, for me, came after I discovered my own son had developed something of a taste for cruelty. Poor, dear, Julie. What he did to her was quite unforgivable. He died at my hand."

Edenhardt wiped his face with a shaky hand.

"Don't repeat my mistakes, Harry," he said using his first name for the first time. "It is likely that you will be called upon or provoked into doing some terrible things in your future. Don't lose sight of what is really important, as I did."

*

"Thank you, Harry Potter," said Grublok as they stood together in the deserted chapel.

"I only listened to him."

"I think that is what he's been holding out for, all these years. Just the chance to tell his side of the story. I am glad you met him on a better day. Just lately he's been regressing back to his old manic self."

Harry pushed the heavy coffin into the opening.

Grublok flicked his fingers and the Edenhardt family crypt sealed itself again.

"He really is dead this time, isn't he?"

"Oh, yes."

They turned and walked slowly away. Harry realised that Dumbledore was sitting and waiting patiently for him in the aisles. He must have traced him through his watch.

"His Eminence made a list of books you might like to have from his library," said Grublok. "He thought you would like the defence books and there is a rather fine set of warfare strategy books. If you approve, I will send them to Hogwarts for you."

"Thanks, I'd like that," said Harry. "I'd also like to thank you for persuading Edenhardt not to attack me."

"It seemed the sensible course," said Grublok with a smile. "You will defeat Voldemort, won't you?"

"You say the name?"

"Yes, I decided there was less to fear that way."

"Well then, I'll try not to disappoint you. What else did you get from the vault?"

The goblin looked at him with indignation before breaking into a sly grin.

"I merely provided a service," he said evasively. "The gold barely covered my expenses."

"Nothing in the other boxes, then?"

Grublok shrugged and Harry held out his hand with a smile.

"Good luck, Harry Potter."

"You too," Harry replied and he watched as the goblin walked out into the sunshine.

Dumbledore rose and came over to him.

"You had us all a little worried, for a while," he admitted. "Clearly the trace charm can be blocked. You only appeared to us when you came out of the house."

Harry nodded.

"I think we should return to the others. They are bound to be worried."

"Okay."

"I believe you should Apparate, Harry. You've broken the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery enough times today for one more offence not to make a difference."

"I don't want to lose this, though," holding out his watch chain.

"Harry, that chain was charmed to prevent anyone else Apparating, not you."

"Really? You didn't say!"

"Well, I thought you might be tempted to try too early."

Harry snorted and pocketed the chain.

"I'm not sure I'm ready, though. I couldn't do it when we practised in class. I haven't even managed to do any of the preparation exercises."

"That's because you were distracted. It's nothing serious; many young men have the same problem."

Harry blushed.

"Take you wand and hold it to your side. That will give you focus. Close your eyes and think about where you want to go. Take your time, and permit me to talk you through the process."

Harry thought of the Granger's living room.

"Now, extend your mind."

Harry felt himself rushing towards the Granger's house. He was flying at hedge height across the fields. After a couple of course corrections, he recognised the square.

"Now," said Dumbledore, "enter the house. Things will appear hazy, because you aren't close enough to see yet. Walls, people and other solid things will feel harder to go through. In time, you will recognise people you know well."

Harry walked through the external wall and entered where the living room should be.

Everything was hazy and undefined, but he could tell when he had cleared the wall. Several bundles of energy were dotted around the room. They were moving. One was pacing the room. He waited for the centre of the room to become clear.

"Now, don't worry about making a noise the first time. I woke the entire house on my first attempt. When it is clear," Dumbledore continued gently, "will your body to catch up with your mind."

CRACK!

Amongst the shouts and cries of surprise, Harry recognised Ginny's loud scream and, louder still, the sound of the living room window being blasted out.

Harry opened his eyes.

"Sorry," he said rather sheepishly, looking around at everyone's shocked expressions.

Harry noted with some concern that the door had flown open and the closed side of the large glass patio door that was next in line from him had also been blown out. He wondered if any windows had survived his arrival.

"Wow, Harry," said George laughing. "You just have to show us how you do that!"

Dumbledore Apparated silently next to Harry, desperately trying not to laugh.

"You left before I warned you about arriving too quickly within an enclosed space."

"I'm going to get you some L plates to wear," said Mr Granger, still rather red in the face and looking at the pattern his drink had made on the wall.

"Sorry about all the windows, Mr Granger."

"We can repair them as soon as it gets dark enough for the neighbours not to notice," promised Dumbledore.

Mrs Granger came into the living room and hugged him, apparently unconcerned about the damage he'd just caused.

"Hermione's upstairs," she whispered.

While the others inspected his damage, Harry hurried upstairs.

He knocked gently on her bedroom door and entered. Hermione was just stirring. He went over and took hold of her hand.

"Harry!" she whispered in a strained voice. She looked like she had been crying for some time.

"How are you?" he asked with concern.

"Never mind me," she said pushing herself up, "Where have you been?"

"The Portkey only took me a few miles away, to Edenhardt."

"You got away, though."

"He's dead, Hermione. Actually, he was dead before, but his corpse was reanimated. This time, he's really dead though."

"Y- You killed him?"

"No, he just died. He may not have been the monster the Ministry made him out to be, Hermione. He just wanted to tell me his side of the story. He didn't ask me to believe him, just that I shouldn't loose sight of what is important, whatever I have to do in the future."

Harry leaned in and kissed her, never in less doubt as to what was most important to him right then.

"Hey, your window is still intact!"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"I blew most of the downstairs ones out, when I Apparated back."

"You Apparated? But you've never been able to do it before!"

"Yes. Dumbledore thinks I may have been distracted in class," he said grinning as Hermione blushed. "You won't be too offended if I go back to getting Ron or Neville to partner with me, will you?"

"Of course I will!" she teased before saying, "I suppose I could let you, just for the one class, though."

From downstairs they heard more greetings. It sounded like Mrs Weasley had arrived.

"Gosh," said Hermione, pushing Harry away. "I need to get up and help Dad with dinner."

Harry moaned with obvious annoyance.

"Hey, you broke all the windows, remember," said Hermione with a grin. "The least you can do is give Mum an opportunity to show everyone around the house. How do I look?"

"Pink and pretty."

"Thank you," she said, kissing him on his cheek before hurrying towards the door.

They were at the top of the stairs when Hermione saw herself in the mirror in the open bathroom. With a shriek, she dashed into the bathroom, cursing Harry for not telling her about the state of her hair.

He continued downstairs.

*

"Hi, Ron," said Harry, finding him alone in the dining room.

"Hi."

"Where's Luna?"

"She's outside with her Dad. I think he's after a story, so watch out."

"Thanks, I will. Ron, why are things so strained between you and Neville?"

"Oh, it's nothing, really. We kind of had words."

"What about?"

"Me," said Ginny, dragging a very reluctant Neville into the room.

"We're going to sort this out," she commanded. "Now!"

"I've tried to tell each of you individually, and neither of you listened or believed me. This time you are both going to listen and neither of you is leaving this room until you do."

"Do you want me to go?" asked Harry.

"No Harry, I'd like you to witness how stupid both of your friends have been. Go and sit next to Ron, Neville."

Neville sat and both of them looked away from each other.

"It was my fault," began Ginny, addressing Harry who was the only one prepared to look at her. "I was wrong. Ron asked me why Neville was hanging around with me so much and rather than admit the truth to him I lied and led Ron to believe Neville was bothering me. All I intended to do was give myself a little more time to consider my own feelings. I should have realised that Ron wouldn't have the sense or decency not to stick his nose in and warn Neville off."

Harry nodded in understanding. That was exactly the kind of thing Ron would do.

"So," continued Ginny, "when I finally realised I did like Neville, my idiot brother insisted upon telling Neville that the only reason I wanted to go out with him was to spite him. Honestly! What should I do with them both?"

"Well," said Harry with a smile, "I'm not sure. I do think they should be rather glad you aren't allowed to perform magic during the holidays, though."

Both Ron and Neville smiled at this.

"Still, they do still have a few days to make things up," added Harry. "I'm sure you could forgive them provided they forget their differences before the next term starts."

Harry smiled at Ginny and left the room.

*

Out in the garden, Harry was greeted by Mrs Weasley while the others were putting up a marquee on the lawn.

He had to chuckle at their antics.

"I say, you wouldn't happen to have another eight foot tent pole in that shed, would you?" asked Fred loudly.

"Hang on," replied George loudly from within the smallest shed that was no more then four feet wide, "I'll look."

There was then a great sound of scraping.

"Hey, I found one," shouted Charlie, "it was hiding in the corner!"

Out they came with another impossibly long and unlikely item from the very small shed.

This continued for some time as lanterns, a dozen chairs, a giant table and two large beer kegs all emerged from the tiny shed.

Harry just sat on the patio steps and enjoyed the show next to Luna and her father.

"Have you heard how the girl is?" asked Harry as Fred insisted they look for a different colour jukebox.

"Your friend, the policeman, said they were keeping her in hospital overnight but that she's fine. Her parents are staying the night too. He mentioned that they often try to protect families away from the paparazzi at the beginning."

Mr Lovegood turned and appeared to be burning to ask Harry something.

"Have you seen Ron, Harry?"

"Yes, he's inside being told off by Ginny."

"Oh, I'd better go and rescue him again."

She got up and entered the house. Mr Lovegood casually slid over to speak quietly to Harry.

"What do you know about Edenhardt, Mr Lovegood?"

"Very little," he admitted. "By reputation he was an evil maniac with a predilection for torture and murder."

"That's certainly the Ministry account. Unfortunately, they destroyed everything they could find that was associated with him, so it is a little difficult to tell what version is the truth."

"I'll print what you think was the truth."

"I've a better idea. Edenhardt told me his side of the story, but didn't insist that I believe him. I'd rather you published both accounts and let your readers decide."

"That's a great idea. I'm sure I could get a Ministry spokesperson to give an interview. It would be better if the didn't know about Edenhardt until we publish, though."

"Nobody but us knows. A goblin knows I met with Edenhardt, but he's unlikely to speak to the Ministry."

"Good. I'll go and set up the interview now. Would you mind if I came back later this evening, for your interview? It could be quite late."

"No problem. Bring a camera and you can include a photo of the snake emblem."

"Thanks, Harry. I will."

*

To Harry's surprise, Mr Lovegood was back in time for dinner. He appeared as they were all seated ready to begin eating, and sat down to loud cheers from everybody.

"Did things not go to plan?" asked Harry.

"No. Even better," Mr Lovegood replied with a smile. "The idiots handed me a bunch of their old press statements, including an old interview with the Minister he gave when he was just a Department Head. They said it was old news and that their position was unchanged. I'll reproduce it word for word opposite the new stuff."

"Is that entirely fair?" asked Hermione.

"Is this a new campaign, Hermione?" asked Ron loudly from across the table. "I'm not joining the Society for the Protection of Useless Ministers."

"That's a terrible name, Hermione," said George.

"How about the Betterment of Useless Ministers?" suggested Fred.

"Better, but it needs to be ruder before I'd subscribe."

This continued for some time, with everyone suggesting unsuitable names for Hermione's new society, until Mrs Weasley finally put a halt to any further suggestions.

Ages later, a more subdued group listened intently as Mr Lovegood conducted Harry's interview while they drank their after dinner coffee.

Harry related everything he could remember, including details of the original bank robbery and the involvement of Powell and his wife.

Hammond interjected at that point and insisted that no one but Harry and Edenhardt be identified in the article. There also mustn't be any locations identified. He suggested that Julie Graham was made out to be someone unrelated.

Harry asked what he thought would happen to the Powells. Hammond said he was sure that Powell knew nothing and that she would be judged to have had diminished responsibility.

Hammond also explained that the girl had run off after an argument with her mother. She had become disoriented in the fields and had sought shelter in the house.

Mr Lovegood consulted his notes.

"Harry, what did the watch inscription mean?"

"sun sec neo mil foe," is an anagram of, "Eminence of Souls."

Mr Lovegood wrote it down but looked up again.

"I don't get it. What does that mean?"

"Edenhardt told me that the Minister gave him the name Eminence, because he was making him out to be some religious zealot. Edenhardt told me that originally, eminence meant high status. It just means high status of their souls."

"Why did they use the snake emblem?"

"I asked him about that. Edenhardt said it actually belonged to a much older organisation that revered and fought snakes. They adopted it."

"How can you revere and fight something at the same time?"

"He said that was the whole point. In the beginning, the snake represented the Ministry. Something evil to be fought by a righteous hand. Then the symbols were switched. They became the snake fighting the Ministry by any means."

Mr Lovegood shook his head.

"I really don't know what to make of him. Parts of his story make me feel sympathetic, other parts just make my skin crawl."

"We'll never know the truth now," said Harry. "To be honest I don't think he was that bothered what people think. I was convinced that he regretted allowing himself to be consumed by hatred and revenge. Of course, that was only after he'd disposed of almost everyone he wanted to."

"Almost?"

"The list wasn't a list of sympathisers, it was a list of proposed victims."

"It was that book? Are they still at risk?"

"No, I crossed out all the names and destroyed the book."

"He let you do that?"

"I asked to substitute my name for theirs. I wish I'd read the list first, though. Apparently, there were a few Death Eaters in there too," he added with a laugh.

To Harry's surprise, no one appeared to share the joke.

"You actually wrote you name in the book?"

"Look, I wasn't about to let innocent people fall victim to him and it seemed a good way to bring things to a head. Then, I found out he couldn't defend himself with magic, so my only option was to listen to him."