Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bring the Rain by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bring the Rain

jardyn39

Bring the Rain

by Jardyn39

Chapter 6: The Library

Harry smiled seeing the grin that grew on Hermione's face as they entered the city's main reference library the next morning.

They had just visited the local newspaper to see if they had records of birth announcements but had little success. There were no records of people who had placed the announcements but they had managed to locate a microfiche copy of the edition that had contained Harry's entry.

Harry had no idea why, but Hermione wanted to pay for another copy, not only of the other announcements that edition, but also the article that appeared on the other side of the page. He rather assumed that Hermione was just curious to read the full article rather than the excerpt they had, but he didn't think it was worth paying for a copy.

The main library was a very modern looking building set back on the high street that looked quite out of place. It struck Harry that it was hardly an inviting place from the outside.

Inside, though, was much better.

After passing through a short corridor with walls adorned with posters, they entered the library proper. The spacious room was two storeys high and had an atrium level all around. High windows gave the room a bright, airy feel.

Hermione went straight over to the librarian and waited patiently to be seen.

After a short whispered conversation, Hermione thanked the librarian and led Harry upstairs.

"Harry, this section has the geographic entries," Hermione said when they arrived at the atrium. "Would you like to look up Godric's Hollow while I see what I can find on numismatics?"

"Numis-what?"

"Numismatics, Harry," said Hermione with exasperation. "Numismatics is the science of money and coins."

"Oh, er, okay."

They dropped their things at a table and went their separate ways looking for some useful looking books.

Harry found a likely looking book with a series of detailed local maps of towns and villages in the county. He was about to return to their table when another larger book caught his eye which he took back as well.

Hermione returned with a dozen or so books.

"Isn't that a little old?" she said, looking at the book Harry had brought back.

"Yes, but I wondered if Godric's Hollow actually exists now. My parent's house was destroyed, and I've no idea how big the village was."

"Good point," said Hermione leafing through her first book.

*

Harry quickly discounted both the books he'd selected and returned to look for some more. When he returned he found Hermione chatting to a young man dressed entirely in black. Harry noticed he was wearing a cleric's collar.

"I was just apologising to your friend," he said to Harry. "We organise readings and colouring sessions for the children during the holidays. It's the only time I'm allowed to make any noise in here, but it does help to stimulate interest if there's a little excitement!"

Harry smiled and nodded, hearing some young children chatting and laughing downstairs.

"I understand you're looking for a small village?"

Again, Harry nodded.

"I'd recommend looking through the Ordnance Survey maps. The library has a full set for the county here, including all the rural areas. Where are you looking for, may I ask?"

"Godric's Hollow," said Harry.

The young man frowned and said, "No, that's not familiar. There was a Saint Goderic, but he was associated with London, not here. He walked to Rome carrying his barefoot mother and later became a hermit."

Harry raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"And they said my Medieval History studies wouldn't come in handy," quipped the young man. "Well, I must be off," he said before nodding his goodbye to Harry and then Hermione.

Harry sat and said quietly, "Probably not our Godric, then."

The sounds of the children having a competition to see who could shout loudest reached them and Harry and Hermione exchanged a grin.

Harry was about to ask whether Hermione thought Madam Pince would approve of a shouting competition, when she slid a small book over to him.

Curious, Harry tilted his head to look at the open book which had a series of black and white photographs of coins.

"Hey, that's it," said Harry pulling his watch out of his pocket.

The coin on the chain was much smaller than the photograph copies, but they could clearly see they were identical.

"Unfortunately, the George and the dragon design has been the same one since 1816," said Hermione. "The original was by an engraver called Benedetto Pistrucci, and they've hardly ever changed it."

Harry stared at the photograph, casting his mind back. Saint George and his horse were exactly the same, he was sure, just as Dumbledore had said. What had George been fighting, though?

*

Harry and Hermione decided to eat lunch in the park after buying some sandwiches in a nearby delicatessen.

"Harry, don't you think it was rather strange that Julie should have told you her real name?" asked Hermione as they sat down on a park bench.

"Well, obviously she wanted us to know who she was."

"Do you think she could have lied about her name?"

"Yes, but somehow I don't think she did. I think she wanted me to know who she was. Maybe she expects us to track her down or perhaps she just wanted me to know who framed me."

"Could you manage my other sandwich, Harry?" asked Hermione as Harry screwed up his empty paper bag.

"You've hardly had any," he complained.

"I'm fine."

"We'll have half each then," compromised Harry, realising he wouldn't win an argument.

"Okay," said Hermione smiling, and delicately tore the sandwich in two.

Harry took the empty bag, screwed it up and turned to throw it into the waste paper bin next to their bench. He had almost missed with his last throw, and he thought he should aim this time.

Just as he turned, the shadow of the ornate wrought iron back rest caught his eye.

He suddenly remembered.

"That was it!"

"What, Harry?"

"I've just remembered what St. George was fighting. That shadow reminded me!"

"Well? What was it?" she asked impatiently.

"It was a coiled snake. A big one."

Harry was sure he saw Hermione shudder at these words.

"Hey," he said gently, placing his free hand over hers. "It was only a coin design."

*

They were walking back to the library through an arcade full of small, exclusive looking shops that each sold expensive luxury gift items when Harry noticed a jewellery shop with a small collection of coins on display.

He led Hermione over to look in the window.

"Let's go in and ask," suggested Harry.

"No, Harry!" whispered Hermione. "We're hardly dressed to go in any of these shops. Besides, we can't afford anything here."

"We're not buying today, Hermione. I just want to ask about the coin we have."

"No, but don't you think that the shopkeeper will wonder where we got a watch worth so much?"

"They'll think we stole it?"

"I would. Do you really want to attract the interest of the police so soon again?"

Harry considered Hermione's words seriously for a moment before reaching for the door, saying with a grin, "No, you look too honest, Hermione."

Hermione whispered, "Reckless," as she leaned past him to press the buzzer to request admission.

"Thanks, I wondered why the door wouldn't open. Anyway, we have to go in after spending so much time in their doorway!"

The electronic latch buzzed and Harry pushed open the door.

The shop inside was very small. Glass cabinets surrounded them on three sides and the walls were packed with clocks and assorted display items.

"Good afternoon," said the shopkeeper. Harry was pleased to see he was a kindly looking gentleman wearing a green overall with his shirt shelves held up by armbands. Both he and the overalls looked a little frayed.

"Hi," they both replied.

"I was just admiring the coins you have in the window," said Harry. "I was going to ask if you had any more but I can see you have," he added with a smile and indicating the collection in one of the display cabinets.

The shopkeeper smiled and gave a short bow.

Harry withdrew his watch from his pocket and the demeanour of the shopkeeper changed immediately.

"I'm really not interested," he said seriously and holding his hands up. It could not have been clearer that Hermione's suspicions had bee entirely correct.

"I'm not selling," said Harry with a smile. "This watch was a gift. Unfortunately the original sovereign was replaced and I was wondering if it was possible to obtain one that was closer to the original."

The shopkeeper eyed him suspiciously for a moment. Harry just shrugged and was about to pocket his watch again when the shopkeeper appeared to relent.

"May I see that watch?" he asked.

Harry handed him the watch. The shopkeeper examined the watch closely with a jeweller's eyepiece that he took from the felt pad lying on the top of the display cabinet.

"This is a fine piece," he observed. "I would recommend that you have the mechanism cleaned professionally, though."

He moved his attention to the gold sovereign and chain.

"This chain isn't hallmarked, although I can tell it is of a very high quality. Curious about the coin."

"Excuse me, but what is curious?" asked Harry.

"Here," said the shopkeeper handing Harry back the watch, "I'll show you."

He reached under the counter and pulled out a small plastic box through which Harry could clearly see a gold coin.

"Do you see the highly polished surface?"

Harry nodded.

"Sovereigns are only produced these days for collectors. These coins are made to very high standards and that includes this surface. At one time sovereigns were produced as currency, and there was no need for the finish to be the same. It was the gold that was important."

Harry frowned slightly.

"Un-circulated coins are certainly still collectable, but they don't have the same attraction as Proof coins."

"I see," said Harry.

"My point is, your sovereign was originally a Proof coin that has been aged artificially. Rather a shame, really. Its value is now limited to the gold."

"That doesn't surprise me," said Harry. "I think they just wanted something readily available. The original coin had a slightly different design. It looked just like these except St George was fighting a snake rather than a dragon."

"Are you sure it was a genuine sovereign?"

"I didn't know, but apparently it was a fake. Have you ever seen a design with a snake?"

"Not on a coin, no," he admitted. "But by a strange coincidence, I do have a watch in for cleaning that has a snake motif like the one you described."

"May we see it?"

"Well," said the shopkeeper hesitantly, "it does belong to a customer."

Then he appeared to change his mind and quickly exited to fetch the watch. He was back almost at once carrying a small felt pouch.

He carefully slipped a silver pocket watch out.

"Is that a Hunter, like mine?" Harry asked with interest.

"Yes, although a little older. The snake design is on the inside of the case, see?"

Harry and Hermione leaned in to see the watch held in the shopkeeper's hands.

It was identical to the design on his missing coin.

"Who-" Hermione began to ask when Harry cut across her.

"How old is that watch casing?"

"Its hallmark indicates the casing is about seventy years old, although the mechanism and face are considerably older."

"Is that unusual?"

"Yes, but not unheard of. Some of these watches have a hard life."

Harry nodded and became aware of Hermione's unspoken impatience to get away.

"Well, thank you for your time," said Harry. "I will take your advice and ask you to clean the watch, but I shall need it for the next few days."

"Just so you know," said the shopkeeper with a small smile, "it is illegal to sell gold and other precious metal items without a hallmark. That chain would easily pass the required standards for workmanship but its gold content would need to be analysed before a hallmark could be approved."

*

They were out in the warm sunshine again before either of them spoke.

"I'm sorry I stopped you from asking who the owner was," said Harry with a smile.

"It's okay," she replied taking his hand. "I should have thought before speaking."

"I thought Kingsley and Mr Weasley might like to find out for us," said Harry.

"That snake design was really rather creepy," said Hermione. "I'm surprised you didn't notice it before."

"Well, I quite like snakes, actually."

"Even that basilisk?"

"Okay, the ones that are over fifty feet long aren't my favourite," he admitted.

Hermione snorted.

"You just need to be around them a bit. Maybe I could get you one for your birthday. There's a pet shop other there-"

"Don't you dare!" warned Hermione, laughing. "Crookshanks might be upset."

"You sure it's only Crookshanks that would be upset?" Harry teased.

They spent the rest of the afternoon back in the library, fruitlessly looking through drawers upon drawers of immaculately preserved large scale Ordnance Survey maps that Hermione had managed to get them permission to view.

Late in the afternoon they gave up and, after thanking the librarian, left to meet Hermione's parents.

*

Harry picked up the callbox receiver and dialled the number from a small piece of parchment.

"Good evening," said a cool clear female voice at the other end.

"Hi," said Harry a little nervously. "I'd like to leave a message for Kingsley Shacklebolt, please."

"One moment, caller," she replied. "Please hold."

Harry heard a few clicks and peculiar whirling noises.

"Harry? You okay?"

Harry was rather taken aback by this greeting.

"Hello, Mr Weasley. Yes, it's Harry. We're fine, but I was hoping to speak to Kingsley Shacklebolt. There's a shop we've found that we'd like him to investigate."

"Kingsley's in a meeting," said Mr Weasley. "Give me the details."

"Okay," said Harry, but then hesitated, wondering if he should wait to speak to Shacklebolt.

"It is okay, Harry," reassured Mr Weasley, sounding like he was smiling. "Both Kingsley and Dumbledore have stressed that I'm not to do anything unless Kingsley has approved it first."

Harry laughed and told Mr Weasley everything about the shop and the second watch they'd seen that afternoon.

"I've got all that," confirmed Mr Weasley. "I'll be along this evening for Peter Hammond's briefing at Hermione's home. I'll see you later."

"Bye," said Harry putting the phone down and leaving the call box he rejoined the Grangers who were about to go into a restaurant for dinner.

*

Harry looked around at the extraordinary assortment of junk that was screwed to the walls for suspended from the ceiling from steel wires.

"It's not great, is it?" said Mrs Granger quietly with a smile.

"No, it's fine," protested Harry.

"It's just that we thought we'd rather eat than go to the trouble of getting dressed up. We'll find somewhere better later in the holiday."

Hermione and her father were examining the menu closely. Harry hoped they fancied a burger and chips, since everything on the extensive and brightly coloured menu appeared to include both these items.

"How was your day?" Harry asked.

"We found one thing, we'll tell you later," she added in an undertone, "but I ran into an old school friend and we got chatting, so we didn't get a lot done."

Harry nodded.

"It was quite awkward, actually," said Mrs Granger candidly. "I'd quite forgotten she'd moved here after her third divorce. I spent the whole time trying not to admit we had moved up here."

Harry snorted.

"Not close friends, then?"

"Well, we were at one time, but you grow apart, you know? Now, I feel we have hardly anything in common."

"We've almost decided that we're going to have a burger," announced Mr Granger with a grin.

*

The four of them got back to the car in the multi-storey car park after a most enjoyable meal. They had been joking and laughing all the way from the restaurant.

On the drive back to the house, Harry joined in the happy conversation at first but as the town roads quickly gave way to dark countryside, he looked out of the window and reflected on the evening.

To Harry's surprise, the burger meals had been not only excellent but also rather big. It took them ages to work their way through them and none of them had room for a dessert.

Harry had enjoyed the evening far more than he could say. It wasn't the meal, it was the company. This was what a real family experienced together, and he was made to feel part of it.

The car was speeding along the well lit dual carriageway when they quickly drew towards a halt. In front of them were two lines of red brake lights stretching far into the distance. Harry could see blue and orange flashing lights far off into the distance.

Hermione and Mrs Granger were still engaged in conversation and didn't notice Mr Granger indicate and take the exit to the left.

"Not this one!" cried Mrs Granger as soon as she realised they were turning off the main road.

"We'll be stuck all night if we wait," explained Mr Granger. "Taking the country lanes is a bit farther but it'll be much quicker this time of night, especially with that lot going on."

"Yes, dear," said Mrs Granger pointedly, "but have you noticed where we're headed?"

The headlights shone on a road sign that announced a village they were about to pass through.

"Oh," said Mr Granger, pulling up.

Mrs Granger glowered at him.

"What do you want to do?" he asked. "The exit we came off at doesn't have an access from this way. I'm not even sure there is another way around. We can try, but it could be a few miles."

Mrs Granger considered for a moment and Harry and Hermione exchanged quizzical looks.

"Let's push on," said Mrs Granger at last. "Lock all the doors and don't stop for anything. Here, you two," she added looking behind to Harry and Hermione. "Get down and put our jackets over you. Don't look up or show yourselves. We'll explain later, but it would be best if we get home as quickly as possible."

Hermione hesitated but shifted and lay down across the rear seat. Harry did the same, laying behind her, although being taller he was a little uncomfortable with his legs cramped up awkwardly.

Once Mrs Granger was satisfied that Harry and Hermione were adequately concealed, they sped off.

Harry reached over and took hold of Hermione's hand. She was shaking.

He had no idea how far they had travelled, but he had the feeling that Mr Granger wasn't hanging around.

Soon, Harry heard the familiar rumbling sound of their tyres on the brick pavior paving that formed the courtyard outside their new home.

The moment the car stopped, Harry lifted the jackets and looked up to see Mr Granger hold out his hand to his wife. She was visibly shaking, although quite silent.

Harry saw him mouth, "I'm sorry."

Mrs Granger nodded shakily and opened the door. By the time Harry lifted off the jackets, she had composed herself.