Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bring the Rain by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bring the Rain

jardyn39

Bring the Rain

by Jardyn39

Chapter 11: Gold

It had been Hermione and her mother's turn to sneak out of the house later that day. Hermione left Harry the copy of The Quibbler to read, but he preferred instead to continue painting.

Harry made cheese sandwiches for himself and Mr Granger for lunch, but they had barely sat down when the phone rang. One of Mr Granger's private patients was pleading for some emergency treatment and this soon left Harry alone in the house.

He inspected the paintwork again, but it still wasn't dry enough for another coat yet. He didn't dare continue Hermione's immaculate painting of the windows, so he found himself sitting at the living room table looking at The Quibbler's distinctive front page again.

He got up and went over to the window overlooking the square.

There was no sign of life at all. He looked to the side and could just make out the girl's house next door, the first along the adjacent side of the square. The house had been deserted ever since the girl had been returned.

Harry hoped she was feeling better.

He vaguely wondered if The Quibbler had a crossword puzzle he could do to while away the time, when he noticed that the Granger's front lawn was a little overgrown. Remembering the electric mower in one of their sheds, he decided to cut the grass.

*

Harry had just started to pack up the mover, when a car entered the square.

The front lawn was rather small and it had probably taken him longer to get the mower out of the shed and find Mr Granger's extension lead, than do the actual mowing. Still, Harry thought, at least it had kept him busy for a while.

The car drew to a halt and the driver's door opened.

A woman walked hurriedly from the car to the neighbouring front door. Harry straightened and smiled, recognising her as the girl's mother.

She shot him a nervous look and Harry realised she probably just wanted to get what she came for and go without too much attention. He busied himself rewinding the orange lead around the mower, but soon became aware that the woman was approaching him.

"Pardon me," she said, "but I couldn't be sure. You are the young man who brought Victoria back to us, aren't you?"

Harry smiled and said, "Yes, my friend and I found her."

"Um, will you come in for a moment?" she asked uncertainly. Harry noticed the girl peeping around from the back of her mother. He hadn't noticed her at all before then.

"Sure."

The small girl flew ahead of her mother as soon as she opened the front door. Harry followed them into the neighbouring house. The layout was very similar to the Granger's home, although they didn't have quite so many toys strewn over the floors.

"I just wanted to thank you properly," she said placing her keys on the worktop and putting the kettle on. "I must have seemed terribly rude, ignoring you like that."

"Not at all," he said gently.

"Well, please be sure to pass on our thanks to your friend as well. We were due to stay away for the whole two weeks, but there are some things you just can't do without."

Harry nodded, and not seeing Victoria asked, "How is she?"

"Oh, a little nervous but otherwise fine," she replied, opening the fridge and pulling a face. "Oh, dear. No milk."

Harry smiled and said, "I'm fine."

"Would you mind watching Victoria why I collect some fresh clothes from upstairs?"

"Sure. Er, where is she?"

She pointed and Harry realised Victoria was under the kitchen table, barricaded behind some chairs.

Harry walked over and sat on the tiled floor with his back to the kitchen base units.

"Hi," he said gently. "That's a good hiding place. I didn't see you under there at all."

They were quiet for a few moments. They could hear the girl's mother padding around upstairs.

"What's diminished responsibility?"

"I'm not sure," replied Harry. "I think it means that she didn't know what she was doing," he added, thinking there was no point in pretending that there weren't talking about Julie Powell. "I think she was shut in that room when she was a little girl, only she wasn't in there for just a few hours. Some terrible things happened to her in that house. Hopefully, she can get some help now."

"How did you break the door in?"

"I probably just kicked it in."

"No, you didn't. I was watching and it just blew in, and there were loads of sparks around the frame just before."

Harry didn't answer, but she persisted.

"How did you do it?"

"It's a secret. I can only tell people who keep secrets."

"I can keep secrets."

Harry put on a sceptical look and Victoria crawled out from under the pine table to face him.

"I can keep secrets," she said again.

"I can see that. Alright, I'll tell you, but only if you promise not to tell anyone, ever."

"I promise," she said expectantly.

Harry looked from side to side as if to make sure the coast was clear, and then leaned forward.

"I'm a wizard," he whispered.

He leaned back, waiting for the girl's reaction.

She was giving that same appraising look she had given him the first time they had met.

Eventually she nodded and said, "Yes, I believe you are."

Harry smiled at her as her mother returned with three large plastic bags full to bursting with clothes.

"Right, this should do us," she announced.

Harry got to his feet and then remembered something in his pocket.

"Um, would it be alright to give Victoria something?" asked Harry fumbling around in his jeans pocket.

He brought out the small object to show her and she nodded with a surprised look on her face.

Harry handed it to Victoria.

"Is this gold?"

"Yes. That is, or was, a sovereign. Sovereigns are made from 22 carat gold, and this one has been made into a pendant. I'm sorry I can't give you a necklace to go with it, but it would be a little heavy to wear. Most people use half-sovereigns as jewellery," Harry replied, repeating the information the jewellery shop manger had told him.

She nodded.

"It isn't just a pendant, though," he said gently, and she looked up at once. "Think of it as a good luck talisman. I have one too," he added, pulling out his watch chain and fake sovereign which he still carried for its anti Apparition properties.

"Is it magical?" she asked, and her mother snorted.

Harry smiled and said, "Who can say? I was lucky enough to find you when I was carrying it, wasn't I? I'm hoping it will continue to bring you luck as well."

Victoria's small fingers closed tightly around the coin, and she beamed at him.

"What do you say, young lady?"

"Thank you," she said timidly before throwing herself at Harry and hugging him tightly.

*

Harry was sitting in the living room when Mrs Granger shouted, "Bye! Have a nice time!" before being hurried out of the door. They had booked a table for themselves at a restaurant on the other side of the city. Apparently, it had been a favourite of theirs while they were courting.

He looked again at the twenty pound notes that Mr Granger had insisted he take, "For emergencies."

Harry stuffed the notes into his pocket and watched as the Grangers drove off. The sound of the living room door opening caused him to turn to see Hermione.

"Wow, Hermione. You look amazing," he blurted out.

Hermione gave an embarrassed smile and smoothed the front of her black evening dress.

"Thank you, Harry. Shall we go?"

Harry checked his pockets for the umpteenth time and said, "Sure."

They stepped out into the unseasonably warm evening air and Hermione looped her arm around Harry's as they walked across the square.

"I can't believe how nice the weather has been," said Hermione looking up into the darkening sky.

"Yes," agreed Harry. "I suppose Easter being later this year helps."

They made their way along the winding access road, past a rusting gate that gave a clear view of an ancient looking and overgrown tractor in a back garden, and up to the main road.

They turned the corner, stepping onto the pavement and walked along for a few yards until they were opposite the brightly lit pub. Harry waited for two cars to pass before leading Hermione across the road by her hand.

"I think the way in is through the Lounge Bar," said Harry, not stopping at the Public Bar entrance.

They walked along and Harry noticed that the hanging flower baskets were still dripping, presumably having been watered earlier.

They got to the Lounge Bar entrance just as two familiar figures came out.

"Hi there, Harry!" shouted the first.

"Hermiminy!" said the other.

"Hello Jack. Hello Bill," said Hermione, sounding amused.

"Shorry we're not join'g you," Bill managed to say.

"Yeah, only she's banned us from this side again. We were just making sure she hadn't changed her mind since lunchtime. She hasn't," he added unnecessarily.

"Oh, that's a shame," replied Hermione, sounding genuine but wearing a grin. "Still, at least you can get a drink in the Public Bar."

"Drink!" echoed Bill with purpose.

Jack grabbed one polished brass handle to the door and pulled the leaf open for them. Bill copied and on only his second attempt grabbed the other handle. They both bowed them inside.

"Thank you," said Hermione, trying not to laugh as they passed through. "Perhaps we'll see you later."

Inside, the bar was packed with people. There was a wall of drinkers standing in front of the bar and it looked like all of the tables were occupied.

Hermione looked through the archway into the dining area.

"It looks very busy," she said. "We might have to wait for a while."

"Sorry," said Harry, "I should have realised."

"No, it's fine," said Hermione with a warm smile.

Harry was wondering about barging his way to the bar to get them drinks, when there was a roar of cheers from behind the glass screen dividing the two bars. Clearly, Jack and Bill had arrived at their destination.

"My Dears!"

They turned to see the landlady beaming at them as she came through the archway. She came straight up to Hermione and kissed her before quickly moving onto Harry.

"Come on through," she said warmly and beckoned them to follow.

They struggled to keep up with her as she weaved her way through the diners. She wasn't exactly a slim woman, and Harry marvelled how she squeezed through the narrow gaps between tables, chairs and diners.

She led them along a narrow corridor and into a smaller additional dining area where there were a couple of spare tables. Harry was expecting her to guide them to one of these tables, but she kept going.

They passed the toilets, along another corridor and around a couple of bends. Harry was sure they would come out where they started.

Finally, they arrived.

The room was small and quite cosy with a single small table in the centre set out with a placing for two.

The landlady rapped on the small hatch which quickly opened inwards.

"Harry and his friend are here!"

"Ah!" said someone inside.

Almost immediately the adjacent door opened and out came a man in a chef's uniform.

"Hi!" he said warmly, extending his hand to Harry. "My name is Geoff. I'm Maggie's husband. I do the cooking around here."

Harry shook his hand, and said, "Hi. This is Hermione. I hope you didn't go to too much trouble for us."

"Nonsense," said Geoff as he shook Hermione's hand and added, "Hermione? That's a much prettier name than the versions Bill and Jack tried to remember for us!"

Hermione laughed and said, "Thank you."

"We met them on the way in," said Harry with a grin.

"Yes, they said they were hoping you'd lift their ban," added Hermione.

"Those two!" said Maggie. "I only agreed to lift their ban in the Public Bar for telling us a little of what happened."

"How is the little girl?"

"I think she'll be fine," said Harry. "I saw her and her mother earlier today."

"Poor dear," said Maggie with obvious feeling.

There was then some shouting from within the kitchen.

Geoff started and said, "I'm sorry, but I need to get on. Anything you need give me a knock. I'll speak to you again when it gets a little less mad!" before vanishing back into the kitchen.

"Make yourselves comfortable," said Maggie. "The menus are on the table. What can I get you to drink?"

"Um, lemonade, please," said Hermione.

"Same here," added Harry. "Thank you."

Maggie scribbled a note on her pad and hurried off.

"Um, Hermione?" whispered Harry. "I hope you don't mind but we're down to my last forty pounds for this evening. Your Dad did make me take some money for emergencies, but I'd rather not use that unless we really need to."

Harry looked at her hoping she would understand.

Hermione smiled warmly and said, "That should be fine."

Harry sighed with relief and said, "Thanks."

"No, I'm glad you said. We don't have to have a starter or a sweet if you'd rather?"

"Oh, no. I mean, yes, we should have a starter. Actually, from what your Dad said about the size of the meals they serve here, we may not have room for afters!"

"Actually, Mum gave me some money for emergencies too, but I spent most of it this afternoon."

"Was this an emergency in a bookshop?" Harry asked with a smile.

"Well, yes," Hermione replied with a slight blush.

Maggie returned with their drinks and said a waitress would be along shortly for their order.

"Thank you," they both managed to say before she rushed off again.

They perused the menus and a few minutes later a waitress came along to take their order of starters and main course.

"So, Hermione. Would you like your sock now or later?" Harry asked with a grin just after she'd gone.

"Did you say, sock, Harry?"

Harry nodded and handed her the short sock, saying, "Happy Valentines, Hermione."

Hermione's quizzical look changed at once as she laughed and took her gift.

"Yes, I suppose we do need to catch up," she agreed.

"I really didn't intend to spend that evening in the Hospital Wing, you know? I had everything planned as well."

"Even the socks?" she asked with a smile.

"Er, no, the socks were a recent idea."

"Shouldn't there be two?" Hermione asked, unrolling the material.

"I left the other one back at home. I didn't think you'd want to wear them this evening."

"There's something in this one," Hermione said absently, rolling the sock inside out so she could reach the contents.

"Oh, Harry," she breathed.

"I hope that was the one you were looking at."

"You know it was. Thank you, this is lovely."

"Put it on."

"Help me?"

Harry got up and took the necklace. Hermione had her hair up, so all he had to contend with was the delicate clasp.

"Alright?" he asked.

"Almost," said Hermione.

Harry frowned slightly, wondering what he had got wrong. Hermione smiled and beckoned him down. Harry bent expecting her to whisper a prompt to him, but instead he placed her hand on his shoulder and kissed him chastely on the lips.

"Thank you, Harry," she whispered. "You can sit down now," she suggested with a wide smile.

Harry managed to get to his seat as their waitress appeared out of the kitchen door with their starters.

*

"Why socks, Harry?" asked Hermione as they ate.

Harry snorted and told the tale of his little misadventure in the supermarket earlier in the day.

"At least this way, I put a couple more pounds into the charity bucket," he concluded.

"And I'll have nice pair of socks," agreed Hermione.

Harry laughed and said, "You don't have to take them. I didn't expect you to wear them."

"Well, perhaps they aren't really my colour, but I definitely still want my other sock. I shall enjoy wearing them in private. I'll wear them for you later, if you'd like."

Rather too late, Harry realised he was blushing furiously.

"What ever is going through your mind, Harry? You looked quite absorbed for a moment there."

"You are a terrible tease, Miss Granger."

Hermione smiled wickedly at him and replied slowly, "All I said was-"

"Hermione," pleaded Harry.

"Alright," she relented, still smiling. "Tell me about Victoria. I didn't think they would be back before the end of the holidays."

Harry took a moment to compose himself before answering.