Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bring the Rain by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bring the Rain

jardyn39

Bring the Rain

by Jardyn39

Chapter 12: Exclusive

"I was cutting the front lawn when they arrived earlier," continued Harry.

"Did the grass need cutting?"

"Not really, but it was either that or read The Quibbler."

Hermione just rolled her eyes.

"They just popped back for a few things. I think they were hoping to get away again without being noticed. She recognised me and asked me in. Oh, and she asked me to forward their thanks to you too."

Hermione smiled and nodded.

"I was a little worried about Victoria, though. She was very timid and I wondered how she was coping, especially when her mother pointed out she was hiding under the kitchen table."

Hermione lowered her fork to listen.

"But, I think she's on the mend," Harry added quickly. "When her mother went off to pack, I had a chat with Victoria. She asked me what diminished responsibility was and I told her what I thought had happened to Julie Powell."

Harry smiled remembering and said, "Then she asked me how I opened the door. I tried to fob her off but she described seeing flashes around the frame as well as the door disintegrating."

"Whatever did you tell her?"

"Well, I asked if she could keep a secret."

"You didn't tell her?" asked Hermione incredulously.

"Yes, but she wasn't the least bit surprised. Anyway, when her mother came back I asked if I could give Victoria that sovereign as a gift. You know, the real one?"

"That was generous."

"The first thing she asked was if it was really gold. Then she asked if it was magic."

"What did you tell her?"

"Her mum was there, so I just said it gave me luck, because we found her with it, and maybe it will bring her luck as well. Mind you, I showed her my fake sovereign too, so she's probably convinced it is magical."

"Well, I think it was a nice gesture. Let's hope she doesn't tell anyone."

Harry shrugged his shoulders.

"You really haven't read The Quibbler yet?"

"No."

"I think you should. I'm not saying the legend is real, but parts of it might be. If anything happened, you might be better prepared."

"Or just become paranoid?" he countered before adding gently, "Look, Edenhardt have me his word that he wouldn't allow any of my friends to be hurt. He also gave Grublok his word that he wouldn't attack me until I've finished with Voldemort."

"But how much influence can he maintain now that he's dead and buried?"

"Who needs to be influenced? There isn't anyone associated with Edenhardt with a real motive to harm me."

"What about the thing in Mr Lovegood's article? Or, maybe, Edenhardt's surviving associates may believe you could identify them."

Harry thought. Hermione just might have a point there. The Powells were on the list because they knew too much, not because they presented any serious threat to Edenhardt.

"If it will make you happier, I'll read the article. One thing, though?"

"What is it, Harry?"

"Well, you remember the editorial? Did people really react to what I said?"

"Well, it really wasn't that noticeable. I mean, not everybody reacted."

Harry frowned slightly and looked down.

"I honestly didn't notice," he said sadly.

"Hey, cheer up," said Hermione, reaching out for his hand. "I still want to know why you didn't deface your Slinkhard book."

Harry looked up and returned her smile.

*

They stepped out into the cold night air having exchanged extended goodbyes with Maggie and Geoff. It had taken the efforts of both harry and Hermione to get them to take any money at all for their meals, which, they both assured them, were excellent.

Harry took off his jacket and placed it on Hermione's shoulders for the short walk home.

"Thanks," she said with a shiver. "This is nice."

"Yes, your Mum insisted on buying it for me. She even found time to sew me a deep inside pocket for my wand."

There was no traffic at all now and they crossed the road hand in hand at an easy pace before making their way towards the approach road, which was lit only by house lights.

The square was lit by four lamposts as well as the house lights.

"Your Mum and Dad must be back," said Harry, seeing the Granger's living room lights on.

"But where's the car?" asked Hermione. "Did you leave the lights on?"

"No, I'm sure we left them off. Perhaps they got a cab back."

"Well, that would be unusual. Mum drives if Dad has a drink."

Harry pulled Hermione to the side.

"Let's be a little cautious. It may be nothing, but we shouldn't take any chances."

Hermione reached into Harry's jacket and handed him his wand before holding up her own.

"Where did you keep that?" asked Harry.

"Is this really the time?"

"Er, no. Let's go right around the square so anyone inside won't have a clear view. Perhaps we can sneak a view into the windows before going inside."

"Okay."

They walked around using the shadows to conceal them where possible. They also walked on the grass verge to avoid making too much noise.

When they finally got to the Grangers house, Harry crept along the front under the windows before cautiously peering into the living room.

He allowed himself a small groan, got up at once and went over to join Hermione.

"It's alright," he assured her. "We have company. I'm sorry, but you probably won't get your other sock this evening."

They unlocked the front door and went inside to find Neville and Ron playing chess at the kitchen table.

"There you are!" said Ginny, coming down the stairs to join them. Luna then appeared from out of the living room where Harry had just seen her.

"We didn't think you were coming home at one point," said Ron. "Luna said she saw you come into the square and then duck into the shadows."

"Well, we didn't know who you were, did we?" said Harry. "How did you get here, anyway?"

"Mum was worried," said Ron. "The newspaper thing, you know?"

"That doesn't actually explain how, but thanks for saying why."

"What's the matter with you?" asked Ron. "If you want us to go, just say so."

"Thanks, I want you to-" Harry began before saying, "Ow!" as Hermione pinched him.

"Of course we want you all to stay," said Hermione walking over and putting the kettle on.

"We think that thing's broken," said Ron.

Hermione just pushed the kettle plug into the wall socket and flicked the switch.

"Oh, that's what you do," said Ron.

Harry rubbed his arm and said, "Look, I don't know why she's upset. She was there when Luna's Dad interviewed me. It can't have been too much of a surprise."

"She wasn't upset by The Quibbler, Harry," explained Luna.

"But Ron just said," Harry began as Ginny handed him a newspaper.

It was the Daily Prophet and the front page had a copy of the photograph Mrs Bandy had taken earlier that day.

"How on earth did they get a copy of this?"

"Well, the Prophet never likes to be second when it comes to a story. Dad's extra edition caught them napping and they're trying to catch up."

"But this photo was only taken this morning when the library had only just opened. No one there knew who I was."

He looked down at the headline. It read, "Potter takes up Edenhardt mantle."

Harry threw the paper down and muttered, "I need to check in with Dumbledore," before heading up the stairs.

*

"Yes, Harry."

"Hello, Sir. We just got back."

"From your tone I assume you've read the headlines?"

"Yes, Sir. But that's not it."

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows.

"I suppose I'm mostly upset that our evening got interrupted."

"Don't be too harsh on them, Harry. They are there because they care. I'm sure there will be other evenings."

Harry resisted the temptation to kick the paint can beside his camp bed. Lightning flashed silently outside. He looked up at the rooflight. It wasn't raining yet.

"Do you know how they got hold of the photograph?"

"Not yet. Kingsley and Hammond are making separate enquiries."

Harry squinted out of the rooflight towards the horizon. Dark clouds were gathering and the wind was picking up.

"Sir? I need to go and check something. I'll call you back within the hour."

Harry slowly pocketed the mirror, all the time watching the approaching storm. Something didn't feel right.

He hurried downstairs, ran through the lobby and into the kitchen. To everyone's surprise, Harry threw open the sliding patio window and stepped outside.

Crookshanks darted towards him but stopped to look up him before going inside.

"I know," Harry said gently. Crookshanks dived inside and headed for a dark chair to lie underneath.

"Hedwig?" Harry shouted into the night.

Nothing.

"HEDWIG!" he shouted louder.

Then he saw her. Flying fast towards him, low over the back field. She barely cleared the garden fence and flew right past him onto Hermione's outstretched arm.

"Take her inside," said Harry, still looking out into the night.

"She looks distressed," shouted Hermione from inside.

There was another flash of lightning and the wind blew strongly. Harry realised he had yet to hear any thunder but he did hear a crash coming from within one of the two sheds.

Harry withdrew his wand and walked cautiously down the steps and along to the sheds. One of the doors had been forced open. He flung the door open and found a figure hunched inside.

"Reducto!"

The parchment and quill the stranger was holding instantly burst into flames.

"Argh!" he shouted as the flames licked his hands.

"Get out of there, now!" ordered Harry angrily.

"Who are you?" demanded Hermione, angrily brushing her windswept hair out of her face. "Why did you break into my parent's shed?"

"My name is Rabble, and I'm a reporter for the Daily Prophet," he said defiantly, as if that was all the justification he needed for breaking and entering.

"You're in trouble this time, Potter. You performed magic and I know you are still underage. Worse, you destroyed my copy for tomorrow's edition."

"Hermione," Harry shouted to make himself heard above the howl of the wind. "Get inside and close the windows. The electric will fail shortly, but don't worry about it."

"Harry, come inside!"

"No, we are staying out here for a bit," she shouted, grabbing Rabble by the shoulder to stop him following. "Come on you, let's go for a walk."

"Where?"

Harry grinned and pointed out into the rear field.

There was another flash of lightning and suddenly all the electric lights went out, plunging them into darkness.

The wind dropped abruptly, and there was an eerie silence.

"So, shall we go and see what's out there?"

"No!"

"What kind of talk is that coming from an ace investigative reporter? Don't you want to see me fall victim to Edenhardt's beast?"

"That was The Quibbler's angle. We're reporting that you now control the beast. You'll set it on me!"

"Don't tempt me. What is this thing supposed to be, anyway?" asked Harry as he pushed the reporter towards the side gate.

"You don't know?"

"I never got around to reading any of the articles."

"I'm not going! I feel faint!"

Rabble slumped in a heap onto the hard concrete pavings.

Harry grabbed him by his collar and dragged him along the path, back around to the patio window. There, they were soon lit up by five narrow wand light beams. Hermione threw the window open.

"Take him inside and tie him up. Here, Hermione," he said handing her his mirror as Neville and Ron dragged Rabble inside. "Call Dumbledore and get the Ministry over here to arrest him."

Hermione grasped his sleeve.

"Don't go, Harry," she pleaded.

"This has to end somehow, Hermione. I wrote my name in the book. It'll be better if I face whatever this is out there, rather than here."

Tears were welling in her eyes as Harry mouthed, "I love you."

He Disapparated silently, leaving her fingers grasping thin air.

*

Harry Apparated into the middle of the field, snorting with amusement that when he'd finally been able to Apparate properly, no one was around to see it.

He looked up at the angry storm clouds. Immediately above him, a swirling dense cloud vortex descended towards him.

"Harry Potter," said a slow, distant voice.

Harry looked around, trying to locate the source of the voice. It sounded low and ethereal.

The vortex hit the ground and Harry coughed as the dust filled the air.

He turned slowly, trying not to stumble over the furrows ploughed into the earth. He couldn't make out anything in the distance now.

"I've come for you, Harry Potter."

"Well, hurry up then," muttered Harry.

"What did you say?" asked the voice, sounding much closer now. Harry spun around and squinted into the darkness.

"I said, hurry up then," he shouted. "Is all this wind really necessary?"

"Don't you like it?" asked the voice from behind him. Harry turned around quickly again, this time dropping low.

"Not much," Harry replied. As he did so, the wind quietened down.

The blackness of the night appeared to press against his eyes. Harry couldn't see anything at all now.

"Lumos!" he whispered, and was shocked to hind himself staring into a pair of large, emotionless black eyes.

Harry froze.

The large scaly head tilted to the side, as if questioning his behaviour.

"You wrote your name in the book?"

Harry cleared his throat in an attempt to find his voice.

"My name is Piente. I believe you were expecting me?"

"Yes. Edenhardt gave me his word, though."

"Edenhardt had only one influence upon me, but he is finally gone now. I have no obligation to keep his word, whatever it was."

"He promised me that my friends would be safe from him."

"Well, since he's dead, they should be on no danger from him. For myself, I have no interest in hurting anyone," the beast said calmly, "except, if you'll permit me to state the obvious, yourself. I hope this eases your mind."

"Um, it does, actually. Thank you."

Piente bowed his large head.

"Your portrait doesn't do you justice," said Harry.

"Portrait?"

"Edenhardt's motif. The knight and the serpent."

"That was not Edenhardt's. He borrowed it from an ancient cult when he captured me."

"He captured you?"

"Yes. He had me trapped in a lair guarded by many wards. There was only one entrance. I was allowed out when Edenhardt wanted a name eliminated from the book."

"Why did you co-operate with him?"

"It is an obligation and my punishment for allowing myself to be captured."

"How can you be set free?"

"I am free, Harry Potter."

"Well, at least one of us is," Harry replied sarcastically.

"I believe it was you who rescued the little girl?"

"How did you know?"

"I was there with her, although I retreated when I heard you coming."

"The entrance to your lair was in that cellar?" Harry asked incredulously.

"Indeed. I sang to her to keep her company, but she couldn't hear me."

"You weren't tempted to hurt her?"

"Certainly not," Piente replied sounding quite indignant. "I do not attack the innocent, nor would I have allowed any harm to come to her."

"I'm sorry, Piente. You are a Basilisk aren't you?"

"I am," Piente replied imperiously, "although I am surprised you recognise me."

"Well," said Harry feeling embarrassed, "I have met one other Basilisk at Hogwarts. Salazar Slytherin locked this one up in the Chamber of Secrets. Someone arranged to let it out though."

"Does my brother enjoy living at Hogwarts?"

"Erm," Harry began hesitantly. "I locked him back in, after I, er, killed him."

Piente turned suddenly and stared at Harry.

"Well, Slytherin was rather twisted," said Piente eventually. "Being locked up for years would not have helped much, either."

"Just a minute," said Harry suddenly. "How come I'm not petrified?"

"That is a defence mechanism. I have to will you to become frozen."

"Oh, I didn't know that. I never got the chance to talk to the other one. He only took orders from the Heir of Slytherin. You know, Voldemort."

"Tell me about Voldemort."

"What?"

"I want you to tell me about Voldemort. This is one of the reasons that we are talking rather than fighting right now."

"Oh, um, right."

"Well?"

"He's a dark wizard. His powers grew until he heard part of a Prophecy about himself and me. He murdered my parents and then tried to murder me when I was a baby. His curse backfired and he fled after giving me this scar. A couple of years ago he returned. He has a body now and he's intent upon killing me."

"Ah, now that is interesting. It makes more sense the way you tell it."

"Well, the facts aren't widely known. Who told you?"

"A rather annoying goblin. He kept hectoring me to leave you alone."

"Was his name Grublok?"

"I was too busy trying to eat him."

"You didn't?"

"No, he escaped," said Piente sounding quite disappointed. "I just couldn't understand why a goblin would risk his life to help a wizard."

"I think he rather dislikes Voldemort," said Harry.

"Clearly. Oh, well."

"Um, what will you do now? I mean, after today? You have your freedom, don't you?"

"I have no idea. There are few places where I can remain concealed."

"I could ask Professor Dumbledore if you can come and live in the Forbidden Forest, if you'd like. I'm sure he would agree provided you promised not to hurt any of the students."

"That is most thoughtful, but perhaps unrealistic. He would not be too keen on providing me with a home after killing one of his students."

"He's remarkably tolerant, actually. Maybe I could write a note. Hey, are you laughing at me?"

Piente finished chuckling and said, "Just a little."

"Harry!"

He looked around as a distant shout reached them.

Harry's heart sank. The last thing he needed was for his friends to be put at risk as well.

As Piente began to move off, Harry shouted, "Hey, wait! You promised. Leave them alone."

"I did not say I would not defend myself, Harry Potter."

All too quickly, thin wand lights scanned out towards them. One looked way ahead of the others. Harry guessed that was Hermione's.

"Stay back!" shouted Harry at the top of his voice. "He's a Basilisk! Go Back!"

The distant wand lights appeared to hesitate for a moment, but the nearest one honed in on his position. Piente slid off into the darkness as Hermione ran up and collapsed into Harry's arms. They both fell to their knees onto the dry dirt.

Hermione was gasping for breath.

"I wanted you to stay safe," said Harry gently.

"I saw you," she panted, "from an upstairs window. I had to come."

By the time she had caught her breath, the others arrived. Harry looked up as sheet lightning lit the darkness. His four friends were thrown into silhouette for an instant.

"Put your wands away," ordered Harry. "You're safe so long as you're not a threat."

Their wand tips were extinguished as one by one they reluctantly obeyed.

Harry looked down to Hermione and whispered, "Please."

There was another loud crunch as Piente scraped quickly towards them. This time when he appeared he appeared to be glowing. Harry reached down and gently pulled Hermione's wand out of her hand. She did not resist.

"I meet to stand, Hermione," said Harry, and he waited patiently for her to release his arms before getting up again.

"Why is this ground so dry?" she asked. "It was raining earlier."

"I don't like the rain," said Piente absently.

"Can we please get this over with?" demanded Harry. "If you are intent upon attacking me, do it now."

"Yes, Harry Potter. It is time, but not for me to attack you. I realise that now. Did you know that your name was the first one ever to be written in that book as a selfless act? Every other name was written out of revenge, malice or fear. I think that is what broke the enchantment, more than actually destroying the book."

Harry lowered his wand. He suddenly had a terrible feeling about something.

"Wait," said Harry. "It does not have to be like this."

"Yes, Harry Potter, it does. I was created out of evil and then manipulated all my life. Now, thanks to you, at least I can end it on my terms."

"Come with us back to Hogwarts."

"No. I am tired of this existence."

Harry shook his head, searching for an argument he could employ.

"Tell me, Harry Potter. How did you know?"

"Your feelings. I have never spoken to a snake with feelings before. You say one thing, but another meaning is expressed."

"Bring the rain, Harry Potter."

Harry lifted his arm and pointed his wand directly upwards. A blue lightning flash erupted from the tip of his wand and extended far up into the dark clouds. Instantly the wind picked up again and a bolt of lightning flew down towards Harry but appeared to freeze upon contact with the tip of his wand.

Harry hesitated.

"Now, Harry Potter. Thank you."

Harry flicked his wand, throwing the lightning at Piente. The Basilisk writhed for a moment as an incredibly loud clap of thunder sounded. The snake fell still.

Harry walked over. Piente was quite dead.

Nearby, Harry heard the dull thud of a heavy rain drop hitting the dry earth. A second later, more fell. Soon after, it began to rain heavily.

As the rain hit the Basilisk's body, it began to burn fiercely. Soon, not even ashes remained.

"So that's what a Basilisk looks like," said Ron from behind him.

"Don't be so insensitive!" barked Ginny.

Harry blinked and tears were washed away by the torrent of rain pouring down his face. He felt so sorry for Piente and angry that he should have chosen death over life.

It was a few moments before Harry realised Hermione was standing next to him, holding his arm.

He looked down at her and she said, "No hurry," with a smile.

She looked incredibly wet, wearing his jacket over her nightdress. Both looked ruined. As he came back to his senses he realised he was rather wet as well.

He looked around to see his four friends waiting patiently for them.

"We should go back," he said, his voice uncertain and breaking.

They nodded. Ron and Luna set off back across the field, continuing to look around. Harry waited for Neville and Ginny to move but they didn't.

"Come on," said Hermione gently. "They'll follow."

She tugged on his arm and Harry took a step. Once he was moving, Hermione didn't let him stop. Ginny and Neville followed a few feet behind. Harry realised that the five of them clearly intended to escort him back to safety.

Harry wiped his glasses with his free hand. He then wiped his eyes because that hadn't made him see very much clearer. Through his smeared glasses, Harry could see that the electricity was back on in the village. He also thought he could see some flashing lights reflected off a couple of roofs, but wasn't sure.