Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bring the Rain by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bring the Rain

jardyn39

Bring the Rain

by Jardyn39

Chapter 13: Robbery

It took only a few minutes for them to walk back to the village across the fields. It was much easier now that there were lights to head for.

As they walked through the narrow alley that led from the fields into the square, Harry thought he must have been mistaken about the flashing lights. Then, as they turned into the square, he saw the patrol cars. They must have turned their lights out when the electricity returned to the houses.

Harry hesitated but Hermione said, "No, come on. I've just seen Hammond looking out of our living room window."

The six of them trudged over towards the house. Before they got halfway up the garden path Mrs Granger had opened the door and leapt outside to embrace Harry and Hermione in a tight hug.

"Oh, I was so worried!" she gasped.

"We're fine, Mum, honestly."

"You're all soaked!" she added with concern, releasing them. "Come in and get dry."

They removed their muddy shoes in the hallway and were shooed upstairs by Mrs Granger. Harry, though, went through into the kitchen having seen Hammond.

"Hello, Harry," Hammond said with a small smile. "Nice weather to go for a walk in."

Harry snorted and brushed his wet hair back.

"Harry, I'd like to introduce you to Andy Pagelow and Susan Trent. They are colleagues of mine."

Harry shook each of their hands.

"We've been investigating an incident that happened a few days ago," said Pagelow. "Our computer systems had an audit a couple of days ago and we had a report that the records may have been changed."

"Really?" said Harry.

"Yes. The records appear to have deleted your name and substituted another. We believe the substitute name is fictitious, but we were surprised when your Aunt and Uncle referred us to Peter here, when we inquired as to your whereabouts."

"Oh," said Harry as Mr Granger came into the kitchen and threw a dry towel at him. "Thanks."

"We understand you attend a private school in the North."

"Yes," replied Harry, draping the towel around his neck.

"When was the last time you were in Pike Street, Harry?" asked Trent.

"Where is Pike Street?" asked Harry.

"That's where the bank that was robbed is located."

"I've never heard of it," said Harry.

"Perhaps you forgot the name of the street," suggested Pagelow. "When was the last time you visited the bank, Harry?"

"I've never been to any bank in Pike Street, wherever that is."

"But you have an account there."

"No, I don't!" said Harry with half a laugh.

Seeing that Pagelow and Trent were looking at him utterly unconvinced, he turned to Hammond.

"Are you sure the account is mine? I really don't know anything about it."

"The accounts were opened some weeks ago," said Trent, "a deposit was made just before the robbery."

"Harry's name wasn't on the list of account holders the bank manager gave us."

"He gave us a list for the vault that was broken into, not the other vault. He conveniently forgot about the Potter accounts. His box was moved to the long term vault. That is why it was opened just before the break-in."

"Was there an address given?" asked Hammond.

"Yes, it was care of a solicitor. A Mr Grublok. We have been unable to locate him just yet."

"So, although Harry's name was used, there's nothing to tie him with the robbery."

"It seemed clear to us that the firm who robbed the vault used the Potter deposit box to store some of the equipment in. Then, they put the items that were stolen back into the same box knowing the bank would relocate it before we got there."

"But," pressed Hammond, "they were unlikely to use the name of a person actually involved in the robbery."

Pagelow sighed and nodded. Harry let go the breath he'd been keeping.

"We just wanted to be sure," he agreed. "We both had a weird feeling after we interviewed your Aunt and Uncle. It was like they also knew every question beforehand, like we'd been there before."

"The other strange thing was the complete absence of photographs of you," added Trent. "We wondered if you really existed for a while."

Harry looked down.

"Well, I'm glad you got something out of your investigation," said Hammond brightly.

"Yes, it was rather fortunate that Susan spotted that security guard. He has admitted selling details of the patrol times but I can't see how he was of much more help to them."

Mrs Granger appeared and scowled at them.

"Harry, you are soaked. You'll catch pneumonia. Go and get changed at once," she ordered.

Harry smiled warmly at her and nodded.

"Well, we're done anyway," said Pagelow. "We'll say goodnight and leave you in peace. Enjoy the rest of your holiday."

Harry shook their hands before Hammond escorted them out to their car.

"Where's that reporter?" Harry asked as soon as they had gone.

"It's okay," said Mrs Granger. "Kingsley spirited him away just before the police arrived. Harry, please go and get dry."

*

Harry squelched his way upstairs and found Neville and Ron waiting in his makeshift bedroom.

"They've gone," he advised, peeling off his wet clothes.

"Who were they, Harry?" asked Neville.

"Police. They linked me to the bank robbery after all. I'll tell you everything, but I need to visit the bathroom first."

"No chance, mate," Ron said with a grin. "The girls are in there."

"What, all three of them?"

"Yup."

Harry hurried to change and go to the ground floor lavatory. As he passed the stairs, loud giggles emanated from the closed bathroom door.

He emerged in less of a hurry and went into the utility room where he found Mrs Granger sorting out their wet clothes.

"I'm sorry," he said picking up the jeans he'd just thrown inside when he was passing.

"It's alright," she replied with a laugh. "I could tell you were in a bit of a hurry. Go and drink your chocolate while it's hot. I've almost finished here anyway," she added taking the jeans he'd just folded and throwing them into a basket.

Harry entered the kitchen just in time to see Kingley Apparate into the hall. He immediately looked up and grinned seeing Hermione, Ginny and Luna coming down the stairs, each adorned with bath robes and towels.

"I've just been interviewed by your Dad, Luna," he said brightly as he followed them into the kitchen.

"Oh, that's nice."

"Good grief, girls," said Mr Granger, looking at his watch. "That must be a record."

"No, Dad. We're just taking a break for drinks and to catch up on what's happening."

"Oh, before I forget," said Kingsley, "Luna's Dad asked if it would be okay for Luna to stay here tonight because he'll be rather late back."

"Of course it's okay," said an unseen Mrs Granger from the utility room. "You'll all stay, won't you?"

"What are you looking so pleased about?" asked Hammond with a suspicious look at Kingsley.

"Well, it looks like we got away with it," Kingsley replied. "As far as we can see, no one is any the wiser."

"What have you been up to?" asked Mrs Granger coming into the kitchen. When he didn't answer, she added, "Well?"

"Um," said Kingsley looking suddenly rather uncomfortable. "We closed the Potter accounts yesterday."

"What?" said Harry.

Ron laughed and said, "You robbed them again!"

Kingsley just grinned and nodded.

"Oh, no," said Hammond quietly.

The others were laughing now, other than Harry, Hammond and Mrs Granger. Hermione stopped seeing Harry's expression.

"What did you get away with?" asked Mr Granger, smiling.

"Well, the deposit box was almost empty but the account had quite a bit of cash in there."

"What was in the box?"

"A letter, addressed to Harry, and the Deeds to Edenhardt's properties."

"What will you do with the money?"

"Dumbledore said that was entirely up to Harry," said Kingsley, handing him a thick envelope.

Harry turned the letter over and broke Edenhardt's wax seal on the back. He pulled out the letter and read. The others waited expectantly.

"Did Dumbledore know what you were going to do?" asked Harry seriously.

"No. He wasn't too pleased actually, but why should we let them keep the money?"

Harry looked behind him up to the kitchen clock over the window.

"At ten o'clock tomorrow morning a money transfer will take the money from the account you emptied. That transfer was set up to close that account. The money was intended for two Trusts. The main one is for a housing and low income support trust. The other smaller one was to support Julie Powell and the other victims of Edenhardt's people."

Harry handed the letter to Mrs Granger and there was a light rap on the patio window. Mr Granger slid open the window and Grublok entered.

"Hello, Grublok," Harry said with a smile.

"We have been robbed, Harry Potter," he replied seriously.

"You were expecting the deposit box to be emptied, or you wouldn't have left my letter in there," said Harry.

"True, but why did they empty the other account. It wasn't even in your name."

Harry frowned and looked over to Kingsley.

"What was the name of the account holder?" asked Harry.

"We got the right account," said Kingsley indignantly. "It was called the Edenhardt-Potter Trust fund, but you and Grublok were the Trustees."

"The new Trusts are established under Muggle law," said Grublok firmly. "If the transfers fail their legal status will be irrevocably compromised. Edenhardt is dead, so he cannot now countersign the legal documentation. Not only that, but the Muggle financial authorities will have to investigate. It will look like a massive fraud with Harry Potter the only one culpable."

Hammond swore.

"Grublok? How did Edenhardt set this up?" asked Harry.

"He didn't. I suggested you as a trustee months ago. Actually, it was Julie Powell who gave me the idea. Edenhardt's memory was beginning to fail him towards the end, though. At times it was like he was back to his old manic self. I felt it prudent not to mention that he wished to turn over a new leaf."

"Grublok, will you please help me to rectify this tonight?"

"That would be imprudent, Harry Potter. There is little time and we do not know how they removed the money nor where the money is now."

"Yes, how did you get the cash out?"

"Well, we created some fake identity papers in your name and I went in and withdrew the money," admitted Kingsley. "I had all the account details. It was easy."

"You took the money in cash?"

"Yes, it had to be untraceable. Arthur gave me a hand. We hired a security van to carry it all."

"So, you're both on the security cameras?"

"No, they had another technical failure at the time."

"Well, at least that's something. What do you suggest, Grublok?"

"I think we had better hurry. Where is the money at this precise moment?"

"We deposited in Gringotts for safe keeping."

"Then, that is our first port of call. Please give me the account details."

Kingsley fumbled in his pocket and handed over a slip of paper. "Gringotts is closed, Harry. How will you get in?"

"Well, I was a suspect in a bank robbery, remember. This time I'll be slightly more than that."

"I can't let you attempt a robbery at Gringotts," said Kingsley seriously.

"We ready?" asked Harry.

Grublok nodded and with a flick of his long fingers was gone with a crack.

"Harry, wait. We need to plan this properly," pleaded Hammond.

Mrs Granger smiled warmly at him and said simply, "Good luck, dear."