Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unforseen by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unforseen

Harrys Mistress

Okay here is another chapter, but don't be surprised if I update the last and final chapter tomorrow. I wanted to go ahead and post this part now. It's past eleven at night and I just got back from drinking with friends, so it's safe to just go ahead and post what I have now. Who knows what I would write if I wrote more now. Look for the last chapter soon, but do not worry! Another story will follow this one!

Chapter 13

Harry wasn't surprised when he woke up in the hospital wing. He had done so, so many times that he lost count, it was only fitting that he woke up in the hospital wing one last time for old time sake. He also wasn't surprised when he saw Hermione by the window, staring out onto the grounds with her back to him. He noticed that the light coming through the window was dim, telling him that the sun was coming up. He wondered how long he was out and how long Hermione had been by his side. "I should have known you'd be here when I woke up."

At the sound of his voice Hermione turned, then smiled brightly. "Well," she said as she walked calmly to his bed. "Nice of you to wake up."

"You don't sound like you were worried that I wouldn't wake up," he said as he gripped her hand.

"When Madame Pomfrey told us you were asleep, it was kind of hard to worry." She leaned over and gave him a soft kiss. "But I am glad you're up."

"Asleep?" he asked as he stared up at her. "How long have I been out?"

"A couple of days," she said stroking his hair. "You just wore yourself out."

Harry reached up and grabbed her hand. "It's over?"

Hermione's eyes filled as she smiled softly. "It's over," she whispered then crawled onto the bed and sprawled on top of him as he held her tight. "It's over."

Harry let out a shaky breath as he kissed the top of her head. "I can't believe it."

"You did good," she said lifting her head so they could look at each other.

"We did good," he said tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Although I should spank you for not listening to me. You had no business walking over the table like that."

Hermione pressed his hand to her cheek and kissed his palm. "You were all alone. I wanted to make sure you realized you weren't….and that you were loved."

"I know," he said softly as he ran his hands down her arms and to her waist. "Which is why I won't spank you." He then grinned as his hands traveled down the back of her thighs then back up until they slipped under her skirt "Then again, maybe I will…for different reasons."

"Harry," she said embarrassed as she buried her face in his shoulder. "Someone could walk in."

"I'll chance it," he said giving her a soft squeeze, causing her to yelp. "I want to get out of here."

Hermione groaned and nipped at his ear. "I want you out of here, too," she said and then sucked on his lobe gently, causing him to shiver. "In fact, I'd be happy if you never stood foot in here again."

"That makes two of us," he said as he turned his head to find her lips for a quick kiss. "So, where is everyone?"

"Gone. Ron and Ginny went back to the Burrow to spend the last couple of days there. School is starting tomorrow."

Harry's brows lifted. "School? But it's the beginning of the year."

"I know." She shifted until she was stretched out beside him, propping her head up on her elbow. "They are making up for lost time. The students are arriving tomorrow and they are having a faster version of the year, lasting through July. So summer will be only a month long."

"Really?" he asked with a grin. "That's great."

"I talked to McGonagall," she said. "We're Head Boy and Girl."

Harry matched her grin. "That's fantastic."

"Mmm-hmm," she said leaning down to kiss him. "It will have it's advantages."

"You bet," he murmured against his lips. "Starting with full access to that wonderful bathtub."

Hermione blushed then giggled. "We'll make sure to make that an extra curricular activity."

Harry nuzzled his face against her neck. "With you as my partner, I'm sure to pass with flying colors."

XXXX

After Madame Pomfrey gave Harry a quick look over he was free to go. The school was empty, except the staff and a few Aurors that were still taking care of last minute details. Including their new American friends who were heading back to the States for a more personal occasion.

"I've got a wedding to plan," Peyton said to Harry and Hermione as they said their goodbyes in the common room. "I think we're shooting for a fall wedding."

"Fall?" Jack asked as he placed down his trunk he had just carried from upstairs. "Isn't that a little close, Williams?"

"Not at all," she said with a grin. "Between Mom and I we can plan anything."

He rolled his eyes. "You have a point. Scott, you're the best man, just make sure you through a great bachelor party."

Scott's brows bobbed up and down. "Oh, I've already got some great ideas. Harry, you and Ron are invited of course."

Harry's eyes lit up. "Really? I've never been to a bachelor party before."

"Oh, it's great, I think we're going to start off at a strip club and…"

"Now, wait just a second," Hermione complained. "I don't…"

"Don't worry, Hermione," Peyton said with a chuckle. "Boys will be boys. Besides, you better be at my bachelorette party. Guys can strip with just as much talent as girls can."

Hermione grinned then turned to a stunned Harry. "In that case, you can go."

"Now, wait a second I don't think…"

Jack laughed as he slapped Harry on the back. "Give it up, Potter. The women always win, it's best you realize that now."

"We better go," Peyton said giving Hermione a hug. "We'll keep in touch. Have a great time in school." She then turned to Harry and kissed him on the cheek. "You're my hero."

By the time they were left Harry was still blushing and Hermione looked at him with amusement. "Since you saved the world and all, you're not going to get a big head are you."

"If pretty girls like that give me kisses on a regular bases I must might." He then yanked her against him and kissed her long and hard. "But I'd rather get my kisses from you."

"You better," she said as she hugged him close. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he said with a sigh and kissed the top of her head. "I'm going to enjoy hearing you say that to me over the years."

"Me too." She then leaned back and kissed him on the cheek. "Why don't we go down to the kitchens and get something to eat. I'm sure your starved. We also need to Apparate to Diagon Alley today and get our books."

"That will be fun," he said holding her hand as they walked out. "Going to Diagon Alley with you and not having to worry about evil lurking around the corner."

"We can officially call it our first date," she smiled. "Maybe get some ice cream as we stroll hand in hand down the street."

"That sounds completely wonderful and…" He stopped long enough to give her a quick kiss. "Completely normal."

That night, after their trip into Diagon Alley and after a quick evening meal in the kitchens, the two of them enjoyed the privacy of the common room while they had the chance. Hermione sitting on one end of the couch as she skimmed through one of her new books, while Harry stretched out on the other end with his feet in her lap. Harry had started out reading his new Defense Against the Dark Arts book, but then figured since he destroyed the source of all evil, it wouldn't tell him anything he didn't know.

"Don't be silly, Harry," she said in her bossy tone. "Just because Voldemort is gone doesn't mean evil isn't out there. You may have crippled it, but it's still out there."

"I know," he said and then grinned. "You know, I love it when you talk to me in that prissy tone, it drives me crazy."

She huffed out a breath. "Oh, honestly."

"Please stop," he groaned as he placed a hand over his heart. "You're killing me."

"Oh hush," she laughed as she pushed his feet off her lap. "I'm going up to bed, are you coming up or staying down?"

"Well, that depends on if you and I are…" Whatever he was going to say died in his throat as his eyes fell upon two ghosts that couldn't possibly be who he thought it was. His parents were standing just behind Hermione but they were transparent so Harry could see the wall behind them.

"Harry?" Hermione asked suddenly as she turned to see what he was looking at, but to his surprise she didn't act as if she saw them. "Are you all right?"

"I…I don't know."

"She can't see us, son," his dad said and the sound of his voice made him jump. "You might as well act cool or she'll think you've gone mad."

Harry shook his head and then made himself look at Hermione. "I'm fine," he said as he gave her a shaky smile. "I just thought I saw something…but it's all right."

"Are you sure?" she asked still not convinced.

"Positive," he said as he stood up from the couch. "Er…why don't you go on up and I'll…er…" What was he suppose to say? Go on up and I'll be right there so we can fool around? His parents were watching! "I'm right behind you."

She still looked worried but didn't say anything else about it. "All right, good night, Harry," she said and then leaned down to kiss him.

Bloody hell! Now his girlfriend was snogging him right in front of his parents. His dead parents. He pulled away slowly and gave her a smile. "Good night, Hermione."

He watched Hermione walk up the stairs and didn't turn to his parents until he heard her door close. "Er…well, that was Hermione."

His parents smiled and then took a step towards them and as they did their ghostly appearance vanished and now looked as if they were as real as him. "What's going on?" he asked taking a step back.

"We were allowed to come back," Lilly said as her eyes filled with tears. "For just tonight, to say good bye."

He desperately wanted to go to her but hesitated. "How?"

"Well, turns out that being the parents of the boy who saved the world has it's advantages." James beamed with pride as he looked at Harry. "We've never been so proud."

Emotions swirled through him as he took a step closer. "Can I…" He hesitated bringing a hand out to his mum. "Can I touch you?"

"Yes," she smiled as she held out her hand until they were palm to palm. Her skin was soft and warm and almost familiar. "Oh, Harry…my baby!"

Harry didn't object when she threw her arms around him. He welcomed his mother's embraced as he held on tight and buried his face in her hair, taking a deep breath. "You smell like honeysuckle and chocolate chip cookies."

Lily laughed through her tears as she squeezed him tight. "Chocolate chip cookies were always your favorite." She took a step back and framed his face with her eyes, wiping his tears away with her thumb. "You have grown into such a wonderful person, Harry. I am so proud of you."

"Thanks, mum," he said with a shaky smile. "Thanks for saving me all those years ago. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you." He then looked over at his dad. "For both of you."

His dad stepped to him and pulled him into a hard bear hug. "I love you, son."

"I love you, too," he murmured as he wished the hug would never end. "Everyone was right." He leaned back and smiled up at his dad. "I do look like you."

James barked out a laugh as he slapped his son on his shoulder. "You're lucky to have my looks. Handsome devils we are, just ask your mother. I snagged her up."

"Oh please, not this again," Lily rolled her eyes. "Even dead you have an enormous ego."

Harry smiled still not believing they were here. "Can we talk? I mean, how long do you have?"

"Till midnight," she said as she grabbed his hand and sat them on the couch. "We have an hour."

James sat down on the other side of him. "Of course we don't want to keep you too long, you're girlfriend is waiting."

Harry blushed. "Daaad."

He chuckled as he pushed his head playfully. "She's very pretty, looks like you did good."

"She's been my best friend since first year," he said looking between them. "I don't know what I'd do without her."

"She seems very sweet," Lily said with a smile. "So, do I hear wedding bells?"

"Lily, don't pressure the boy," James warned.

"What? Just because I'm dead doesn't mean I don't want grandchildren."

Harry laughed. "Don't worry about that, we've already discussed names."

"Oh, how marvelous. We'll be sure to be at the wedding. You won't see us of course…but we'll be there."

"I'd like that," Harry said as he took her hand then his dad's. "We'd both like it."

"Sirius wants us to tell you hello," James said. "He couldn't go, but when we left he was in the middle of a Quidditch game."

"Quidditch?" Harry asked with a laugh. "You can play Quidditch….up there?"

"Of course, I still play Seeker for my team," he boasted.

"Team?"

"Yes, we're pretty good, too. Did you know Dumbledore was quite a player in his younger days."

Harry's jaw dropped. "You're joking."

"Nope. Couldn't believe it myself when he came up to me and asked if he could be the Keeper for our team."

"Oh, could you two stop talking Quidditch," Lily said blowing out a breath. "I mean don't get me wrong, I love watching both of you play, but talking about it drives me nuts."

Harry smiled. "You sound like, Hermione."

An hour wasn't near enough time to make up for the years without them, but it was better than nothing. He took it all in as he did what he always dreamed of doing. Talking. Just talking and this one hour would stay with him for the rest of his life.

At the strike of midnight, Lily stood up suddenly. "Oh, we have to go," Lily said as she pulled him to a hug. "We'll always be with you, Harry. Remember that."

Harry closed his eyes and enjoyed holding his mum one last time. "I know." He then turned and hugged his dad. "Thank you for coming. I'll never forget it."

"Take care, son," he said as he pulled away. They were now fading back to their transparent form. "Take care of Hermione and enjoy ever moment." He reached for Lily's hand. "We love you."

"Bye," he whispered as he felt a tear escape. "I love you, both."

And just like that…they were gone.