Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unforseen by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unforseen

Harrys Mistress

Thanks for the great replies! Sorry it took me a little longer to update, but I just moved to a new apartment and just got settled in! Luckily, I wrote a lot of the next chapter between moves, so was able to get it up right away! Enjoy!

Chapter 3

"I'm sure no one saw you," Harry assured Hermione as they sat together at one of the circular tables in the garden. The wedding was over and the reception began has the backyard was packed with friends and family of the newlyweds.

"You did!" she exclaimed as she rubbed her feet under the table. "And standing up there for so long in these shoes were torture!"

"I only saw you because I was watching you," he assured her. "Everyone else was watching the bride and groom. At least you didn't stumble on your way up to the alter when everyone was watching you walk down the isle."

"Ugh, don't remind me." Hermione grabbed her flute of champagne and chugged it, causing Harry to lift a brow. "Are you sure no one noticed?"

"Absolutely. You just stumbled a bit and you covered yourself nicely."

"Yeah, but that loud snort of laughter from you didn't help either," she glared.

He grinned. "Sorry, it slipped."

She grinned back. "Yeah, I guess I don't blame you." Watching him she tilted her head a bit and all of the sudden sadness filled her eyes. "I've missed this."

Concerned, Harry leaned forward in his chair. "What?"

"You. Us, just talking." She looked away and gave a little shrug. "We didn't really talk much this past year."

"No," Harry said after awhile. "No we didn't. Last year was kind of crazy."

"It's my fault, Harry. I should have listened to you."

"No, it's not your fault, Hermione," he assured her. "You were right just being cautious."

"But I should have trusted you. I'm sorry, Harry. I promise that when we are on this mission that I will listen to you better and trust you more."

"I know you will, but let's not worry about that right now. I want to have a little fun before we leave, we deserve that much at least." He then turned his head as his eyes searched for someone. "Actually, you can help me out with something."

"Sure," she said as she followed his direction to see Neville standing by the buffet table by himself. "What do you want me to do?"

"I'm going to go have a chat with, Neville," he said standing up then leaned down to her from behind her chair so that his mouth was close to her ear. "Go find Ginny, she's over there talking to Gabriel. It looks like she wants to be rescued. When I give you the go ahead, you and Ginny join us, okay?"

She tilted her head up, giving him an suspicious look. "What are you up to?"

Her face was so close he could see the gold flex in her eyes. "You'll see," he said with a wink then pushed off from her chair and made his way over to Neville. It took a little longer to get to him, since so many people stopped him to say a quick hi or to introduce himself. When he finally got there he picked up a plate and grinned at Neville. "How's the food?"

"Wha?" Neville looked up dazed. "Oh, hey Harry. It's okay, mostly French food. The cheese canapés are good."

Harry took a canapé and sampled a bite. "Mmm, they are good," he said with a mouthful and added more to his plate. "Enjoying yourself?"

Neville stole a quick glance over at Ginny and then shrugged. "I guess."

"You look miserable," he said taking another bite.

"I just don't know anybody really besides you guys." Neville looked at his feet. "I don't know why Ginny bothered to invite me."

"Probably because she likes you, Neville," he said putting his plate aside and wiping the crumbs off his hands. "You're a good friend."

"Yeah, I guess."

Harry took two glasses of champagne from a passing tray a house elf was carrying and handed one to Neville. "But you want to be more than friends."

Neville choked on his drink, bending over why Harry slapped him on his back. "Huh?" he croaked as he banged on his chest. "What did you say?"

"I asked if you wanted to be more than friends with Ginny." Since he wanted to laugh he thought it best to hide his smile by taking a sip. "You fancy her, don't you?"

Looking horrified he shook his head. "No, I mean…I would never do that to you, Harry, I…"

"I didn't ask you if you would, I asked you if you fancy her."

"Well, I…I think she's really pretty and, and sweet, but…"

"No buts, Neville." Harry finished off his drink then placed it on the table. "Neville, I want a yes or no, okay? Just be honest with me."

Neville was starting to sweat and looked like he was seconds from passing out. He swallowed hard before nodding his head. "Yes."

Harry grinned and patted him on the back once so hard Neville stumbled forward. "Good, glad to hear!"

Neville's jaw dropped. "Good?" He shook his head in confusion. "But I thought…"

"Ginny and I broke up."

"I know, that's what she told me, but…"

"We're just friends now."

"Yeah, but isn't that wrong to ask out an ex-girlfriend of a friend?"

"Not if the friend is okay with it. I'm okay with it."

Neville still looked unsure. "But…"

"Look Neville," he said getting serious. "Ginny and I…we're better off as friends. I don't regret what we had, she was my first real girlfriend and for that she will always be special to me."

"Exactly, which is why…"

"Let me finish," he said holding up a hand. "If we were still dating and someone told me that I had to pick another guy for her, I would pick you. I know you'll treat her right, Neville. You're a great guy. Don't hold back because of me, if you really like her than go for it."

"Wow," he said sheepishly. "I don't know what to say."

"Don't say anything." Harry made eye contact with Hermione and gave her a nod. "Just think about what I said, Neville. I'm leaving soon, with Hermione and Ron and I'd like to know someone is there for her."

He sighed. "But what if she doesn't like me that way?"

"Then I gave her way too much credit," he said patting him on the back. "Don't worry, just be yourself."

"I guess, but…oh my god, she's coming this way. With Hermione."

"Deep breaths, Neville," Harry mumbled out of the corner of his mouth then smiled at the girls. "Hey there."

"Hi guys, what's going on?" Hermione asked.

"Not much, just guy talk, right Neville?"

Neville gave Ginny a shaky smile. "Yeah…guy talk."

"Well, Neville it's only right we has the girls to dance," Harry said. "Would you girls like to dance?"

Ginny beamed at Harry. "Sure."

"Excellent." Before Ginny could even move towards Harry, he grabbed Hermione's hand. "Neville, I'll take the pretty brunette, you take the pretty redhead." Not waiting for an answer or a reaction, Harry pulled Hermione to the small dance floor right in front of the small stage.

"Ginny was expecting you to take her," Hermione said as they moved through the crowd.

"I know, but she'll have to realize that the break up was the real deal. I don't think she expected me to actually stay away." Once at the dance floor he turned to Hermione. "I should warn you, I haven't done this since 4th year."

Hermione smiled as she let Harry pull her close to him. "Like riding a bicycle."

"I never learned to ride one of those," he mumbled as he looked at his feet.

"Like riding a broomstick then," she said and lifted up his chin. "Don't stare at our feet, it's not some formal dance like 4th year, we don't have to do the fox trot."

"Right," he said as he placed a hand on her back as he held her other hand out to the side of them. "Let's just sway, it'll avoid toes being stepped on."

"Sway is fine," she said stepping a little closer to him so their fronts were only a whisper away from touching. "It seems your plan is working."

Hermione jerked her head to the side and he looked over to see Neville dancing with Ginny. Neville looked extremely nervous, apologizing when he stepped on her toes. She just laughed it off and rubbed his back as if to tell him to relax. "Poor Ginny's feet are going to be numb."

"He'll get the hang of it." She then beamed up at him. "So are you."

"Yeah?" he asked pleased. "Let's try something dangerous." He pulled her out, then twirled her around once on her way back in.

She laughed as she pressed up against him, never breaking their smooth back and forth rhythm. "Wow, smooth Harry."

He smiled as he tried not to notice how close they were. He couldn't remember ever being this close to Hermione. Fifth year he remembered when she clung to him after her near escape from Grawp's hand, or a few months later when half his body covered hers on the forest floor, protecting her from being tramples.

But during those time he was too concerned with the danger around him to notice. Now, however, he noticed plenty. With the heels she wore she was almost eye level with him and everything was touching him from her chest, down to her knees. He was definitely aware of how good it felt and that unnerved him. This was Hermione, he wasn't suppose to react to Hermione this way.

It was just because he now knew what it was like to hold a girl close. He missed it, that's all and even though Hermione was his best friend, she was still a girl. A pretty one at that. It was perfectly understandable.

Positive he was okay, he cleared his throat to change the topic. "So, can I ask you a question?" Harry asked as the band played on to another song.

"Sure."

He already had this discussion with Ron, but now he wanted her side of it. "Do you fancy, Ron?"

Taken back, her brows lifted. "What brought this on?"

"Well, there's always been some tension between you guys, especially this past year."

Hermione sighed. "I'm not proud of how I acted. I was extremely jealous."


"Of Lavender," Harry said. "Because you wanted to be with Ron."

"Not exactly," she said looking up at him. "I was more jealous of the fact that he had someone and I didn't. I was feeling sorry for myself, because nothing every happened with Krum and I haven't had anyone fancy me since and… "

"Woah, woah," he said suddenly, looking at her in shock. "You and Krum never kissed?"

Hermione blushed as she shook her head. "No, never."

"But…but, Ginny said you snogged Krum."

"I would hardly call a kiss on the cheek, 'snogging'."

"I had no idea," he said stunned.

"I just never bothered to correct anyone. So, to answer your question, no. I don't fancy Ron. I care about him…very much and want the best for him. Lavender, wasn't the best for him. I'd have gotten upset if you dated that awful witch."

Harry laughed. "I don't think you have to worry about that. Lavender is pretty and all but man is she psycho!"

Hermione giggled as she nodded in agreement. "Insane!"

After sharing a quick laugh, Harry said, "So, you're saying you wouldn't be jealous if Ron was dating someone better, someone more for Ron?"

"If I saw Ron with someone and it made him happy. Not just the snogging, but really made him truly happy, then I couldn't be anything but happy for him."

"All right," he said with a nod and then turned her around. "What do you think about that then?"

A few feet away from them, Ron was laughing as Luna tried to teach him a weird goofy dance. It didn't go with the slow music, but neither of them seemed to care. They were holding hands and trying to loop and turn through them, but gave up when they got tangled. Ron then finally yanked Luna playfully against him, then amused everyone around them as they started to tango.

"Oh," Hermione said as her shoulders slumped under his hands. "Oh, of course. Of course."

When Harry turned her back around he was shocked to see tears in her eyes. She was jealous of Luna now and he couldn't help but feel a little jealous as well. He had wanted Hermione to be okay with the idea of Ron and Luna, because he had a feeling that's where it was heading. "I'm sorry, I wouldn't have showed you if I knew that it would…"

"No, no," she said shaking her head as she looked over at them, beaming now. "I'm just so amazed. I never knew and now it's right in front of me. Just look at them."

Harry felt his heart lighten as he realized that Hermione was now smiling. She wasn't crying because she was jealous, but because she was happy. "So, you would be okay with it?"

"Of course I would," she sniffled and took the handkerchief Harry offered. "I'm a mess, I need to go collect myself." She then leaned up and kissed Harry on the cheek. "Thank you."

Because he wanted to rub the spot she kissed, he shoved his hands in his trousers. "I didn't do anything."

"Oh, but you did," she said hugging him now tightly. "You did."

Before he could even return the hug or say anything, she disappeared into the crowd. Frowning he stared off in the direction she left, completely dumfounded. Sometimes, he didn't know what was going on in Hermione's brain and had a feeling he was safer not knowing