Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unforseen by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unforseen

Harrys Mistress

Thanks guys, glad you like it so far! Already updating! Aren't ya'll proud!

Chapter 2

It didn't take long for Harry to figure out why Neville was so nervous around him. Considering he acted the same way with Ginny and Cho, he knew the signs all too well. Harry caught Neville stealing a glance to Ginny at the dinner table way too often to be a coincidence. When Harry caught Neville doing so, he would blush and turn away as he studied the food on his plate.

Neville fancied Ginny and of course, Neville didn't know how to act around Harry. He couldn't blame him really, Neville was a good friend and he was sure he wouldn't want to betray Harry in any way. He didn't know what to think about Neville and Ginny, but he couldn't see him ever being jealous of Neville like he was of Dean. He liked him and respected him too much.

Harry wasn't the only one who figured it out. Hermione of course saw the looks Neville gave Ginny, then stole a glance at Harry, silently asking him how he felt about it. He just gave her a little shrug and a smile, telling her not to worry. He found himself realizing that if he and Ginny weren't meant to be together, Neville would be the one that deserved her most. Harry had a feeling Neville would worship the ground she walked on and treat her like a queen. He also knew that Neville would never go for it, unless Harry gave his permission so he planned to talk to Neville the first chance he got.

Until then, it wouldn't hurt to help along the way. When dinner was over, everyone retired to the sitting room for butterbeer to gather around the soon to be husband and wife and toast to their future. Harry gestured to Hermione to join him on the love seat big enough for two, ensuring that Ginny wouldn't sit next to him. Out of the corner of his eyes, she saw Ginny's puzzled look, obviously wondering why he wouldn't want to sit with her. Harry leaned toward Hermione to talk to her, so he wouldn't have to make eye contact.

"I think Ginny hasn't gotten over you," Hermione whispered.

"She will in time." He then looked over at Neville who was looking unsure where to sit. "Hey Nev, there's an empty spot on the couch next to Ginny."

"Huh?" he asked flustered as he turned to Ginny who then smiled softly and patted the seat.

"Yeah, Neville you can sit here," she said.

"Oh…yeah, okay," he mumbled and walked over and sat next to Ginny. It was a tight squeeze since Luna and Ron sat on the other end of the couch. "Sorry, am I squishing you?"

She smiled up at him brightly. "Not at all, Neville. Why don't you put your arm up on the back of the couch behind me. It will give us more room."

"Er…okay," he said lifting his arm awkwardly and swinging it over her head and behind. "Is that okay?"

"Perfect."

Harry waited for the jealously he was scared that would emerge seeing them together, but he was happy when it never showed up. He shared a smile with Hermione, then leaned back against his seat as well, stretching out his legs and putting his arm on the back of the love seat. He sipped on butterbeer and grinned when Hermione murmured, "Nice one, Cupid," out of the corner of her mouth.

After many toasting and drinking to the happy couple, everyone started to retire up to their rooms. Ron, however, drank far more butterbeer than Harry or any one else for that matter and had to be helped up the stairs. Ron stumbled at the first step, causing Luna to grab her arm and help him on his feet.

"Wash yo step," Ron warned Harry and Hermione who were behind him. "Very tricky."

"We'll try to be careful, Ron," Hermione said with a giggle. "He's drunk."

"Worse than drunk," Harry muttered and when he tripped as second time, hurried to his other side to help Luna out.

"Where we goin?" Ron asked as they stumbled down the hall. "Oh, to bed? I'm not shleepy.

"Sure your not," Harry said as he set him down on the bed. "Thanks Luna."

"Thank you, Lunaaa!" Ron yelled a lot louder than he should as Harry started working on taking off his shoes.

"You okay, Harry?" Hermione asked as her and Ginny tried not to laugh.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good. All right Ron, sit up. Come on now, I may be your best mate but I'm not taking your trousers off."

"S'okay, I'll sleep in my clothes."

He sighed shaking his head. "If you insist." He shared an amused look with Neville before getting ready for bed himself. By the time he was dressed and crawling in bed, Neville was already snoring and Ron still laid flat on his back staring at the ceiling. "You haven't passed out yet?"

"No, was thinking. You know, Luna smells really good. Did you notice?"

"Can't say I did." But he sure noticed how good Hermione smelled.

"Weird how girls smell all fruity and flowery. Wonder what Hermione smells like, never noticed."

"Apricots," Harry mumbled as he closed his eyes. "She smells like apricots."

There was silence then the sound of rustling as Ron shifted. "You've noticed?"

"Not till a week ago, we were sitting close and I noticed. She says it's the soap she uses, not perfume."

"Do you fancy Hermione?"

Harry barked out a laugh. "Ron, you're drunk."

"What? 'S reasonable question."

Harry sighed. "No, Ron. Of course I don't, it's Hermione. Now be quiet and go to sleep. It's going to be a long day tomorrow."

But Ron was already snoring.

XXX

Harry was dressed and ready for the wedding, which started in a half in a hour, when Ron finally emerged from the bathroom freshly showered. "You better hurry, Ron."

"Harry," he sighed as he closed his eyes. "I'm right here, there's no reason to shout!"

Harry decided not to tell him that he wasn't screaming at all. "Hung over much?"

He winced as he rubbed his temple. "Never consuming that much butterbeer again. Now, go on I'll be right down."

Chuckling to himself he headed downstairs, only to be sent back up by Mrs. Weasley to check on the girls. He had his hand on the knob to open it, before realizing it might be a good idea to knock first. "Every on decent?"

"Come in, Harry," said Luna with a dreamy voice.

Harry walked into the room to see Luna wearing a hot pink dress that would look cheesy on anyone else, however for some reason, Luna pulled it off. She had large matching hoop earrings that dangled from her ear and her long blonde hair was curled around her face and down her back. "You look pretty, Luna."

"Thanks," she beamed as she did a dreamy twirl. "Ginny did my hair. She's in the bathroom with Hermione right now who…"

"Ginny, I don't need that gook on my eyes!" Hermione's voice shrilled from the closed door.

"Oh relax, it will bring out the color of your eyes, just hold still!"

Harry lifted his brow. "You would think she was being tortured."

"Well, turns out that one of Fluer's bridesmaid owled early this morning saying she can't make it. Turns out she tried one of those self tanning potions and didn't follow the directions and put too much toner in. According to her, she looks like a sun-dried tomato and refuses to leave her flat." Luna turned to the mirror to fluff her hair as she kept talking. "So Fluer comes in here bright and early, begging Hermione to take her place. Ginny's already one, so out of everyone here Hermione is the one she knows the best."

"How can anyone breath in this dress!" Hermione yelled from the bathroom.

Harry couldn't help but laugh. "I'm surprised she agreed to do it."

"She didn't right away, but when Fluer started crying, Hermione felt bad."

He grinned. "Sounds like her." He then turned to the closed bathroom door. "Ginny, Hermione, you almost ready? I was sent to hurry you up."

"Harry, help me!"

"Oh, stop whining, Hermione! Harry, we'll be out in a second. Stay there, I want a guys opinion."

"Oh, Harry doesn't care that I look like a clown!"

"You do not, you look pretty, Hermione. Just hold still, I have to reply the lip gloss."

"You going to model for me, Hermione?" Harry asked with a grin.

"Oh shut up, Harry!" she huffed.

Harry and Luna shared a laugh but when the door opened and Harry looked at Hermione, his laughter died and his smile dropped. Besides the scowl on her face, she looked beautiful. Her bushy hair was now loosely curled and fell free down her back in a waterfall of corkscrew curls. The matching dress she and Ginny had on was the color of the sky and it was strapless leaving their neck and shoulders bare. The bodice was tight from her chest down to her slim waist, before the satin material flowed down to the floor.

"I didn't put much make up on her," Ginny said as she studied her as well, not realizing that Harry was staring. "She has a natural beauty about her and all I had to do was a little touch up." She then turned to Harry. "So what do you think?"

Not knowing what to say, he shoved his hands in the pockets of his trousers and shuffled his feet. "Golly, Hermione. You look…really pretty."

Pleased Ginny beamed at Hermione. "See? You even got Harry all flustered and he never is flustered around you, or around me for that matter."

Harry didn't pay attention to what Ginny said but continued to watch Hermione, who's scowl fell and then smiled nervously. "You think I look all right, Harry?"

"Y-yeah, of course. I mean, you always look pretty, but…wow. I'm going to stop talking before I start to stammer."

Hermione laughed and turned to Ginny who was looking at Harry suspiciously. "Thanks Ginny, sorry for being a pain."

"Hmm? Oh, sure no problem. Why don't you guys go ahead, I've still got to do my make up and I'll be right down."

Harry followed Hermione and Luna out of the hall, then asked Luna to go check on Ron. "Make sure he's still alive, will you?"

Luna smiled brightly. "Sure Harry, no problem."

Harry turned back to Hermione with a grin. "Ron's a little hung over."

"I bet," she laughed as they started to walk down to the stairs. They didn't get far when Hermione yelped as she tripped on her heels.

"Woah," Harry said as his quick reflexes had him reaching out to grab her. The smell of apricots swept over him as he helped her on her feet and silently wondered if he would ever go back to not noticing every time Hermione smelled of apricots. He doubted it.

"These damn heels," Hermione muttered. "Why we have to wear them when no one can see them is beyond me."

"Just don't trip going down the isle," Harry said as he helped her down the stairs.

"Gee, thanks for the tip," she said dryly.

Once they were at the bottom of the stairs, he steadied her one last time. "You got it?"

"Yeah, I think I'm getting the hang of it."

"Listen, I better go get a seat, it's already getting crowded. Talk to you afterwards."

"Okay," she said as she started to nervously look down at herself, obviously uncomfortable.

"Relax, you look fine. Okay?"

She took a deep breath and nodded. "Okay. Go on, I'll be fine."

"All right. See ya." Harry rubbed her arms real quick then squeezed her shoulders, hoping to relax her, before finally heading outside to find a seat.

Harry sat next to Neville up near the front and right before the wedding started, he realized with annoyance that the familiar scent of Hermione had stayed with him. It was really getting on his nerves.