Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Little Things by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Little Things

Harrys Mistress

Okay, since you guys are awesome and gave me so many reviews, I'll post the rest of what I have. BUT, don't get use to it, now that you are caught up the chapters won't be updated as frequently. But I wanted to go ahead and post the rest before I go to work. I'm glad you are liking it!

Chapter 2

He grabbed her shoulders and yanked her away. "Ginny, what the bloody hell do you think you're doing?"

"I think that's obvious," she said as she rubbed up against him. "Why don't we go to my room."

Harry stared at her as if she had two heads. "Ginny, did you not hear what I told you the day of Dumbledore's funeral?"

"Yes and it was very noble, Harry, but do you see any danger around me now?"

Harry sighed as he pushed her away before she could attack again. "That's not the point."

"Oh, come on Harry, it's not like I'm asking you to marry me," she said as her hands went all over his chest. "Let's just go in my room and have some fun."

"Ginny," he said patiently as he tried to catch her roaming hands. "Ginny, you're making a fool of yourself." He finally was able to grip her wrists and yank her back forcefully. "Look, Ginny, I don't know what you're thinking. Obviously you think of me as someone you can string along whenever you want a quick snog." He angrily shoved her hands away. "Guess what? I'm not Dean. It's over, Ginny. I meant what I said at the funeral and as much as I hate for things to end this way, I guess they have to."

"Harry, what…what's wrong with you?"

Okay, that's it. She has to be either deaf or stupid. "What's wrong with me?! What…you're talking crazy, Ginny! Are you not listening to what I'm saying!?"

"Harry, did you not get the chocolates I sent you?" she asked in a strange voice.

Taken back Harry stared. "What? Chocolates? No. What on earth are you talking about? What does that have to do with anything?"

"Yeah, Ginny." Harry turned to see Hermione standing at her door way with a blanket wrapped around her. "Why don't you let Harry in on your little secret?"

Harry blinked as he looked back to Ginny. "What little secret?"

"Hermione, you stay out of this!" Ginny shrieked. "Go back to bed!"

"Tell him, Ginny," she snapped angrily as she stepped towards them. She obviously hadn't found all her strength yet becomes she swayed slightly, but Harry was there to catch her.

"You okay?" Harry asked concerned.

"I'm fine," she said through her clenched teeth and continued to stare at Ginny while Harry still held her up. "Tell him, Ginny, or I will!"

"You wouldn't dare!" she hissed.

"Oh yeah?" She lifted her chin and shifted to Harry. "Harry, ever wonder why last year you all of the sudden became aware of Ginny? Ever wonder why after all these years you started to feel different feelings for Ginny, no matter how wrong it felt. Hmm?"

"Hermione!" Ginny shrieked. "Shut up!"

"What on earth is going on?" Ron asked as he rounded the corner.

"Ever wonder Harry?" Hermione asked. "Really think about it. I should have realized something was wrong, I was happy for you two at the time, but a part of me thought it was so sudden."

"Hermione, I'm warning you…shut up! Don't listen to her, Harry! Obviously the potions she's on is making her loopy!"

But Harry paid no attention to Ginny, only continued to look at Hermione. "Are you saying…she gave me a love potion?"

"NO! I wouldn't do that!"

"A very mild one," Hermione continued as she spoke softly to Harry. "She diluted the potion to make it seem more real. More like it was your decision."

Harry felt his heart sank.

"No!" Ginny cried. "It's not true!"

"Admit it, Ginny!" Hermione yelled. "At least be decent enough to admit it, I caught you red handed when I first got here!"

"It was just…I never meant…." She then broke down in tears and covered her face with her hands. "I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't know what else to do, I just love you so much."

"Bloody hell," Ron whispered as he stared at her sister. "Ginny, what were you thinking!"

"I'm sorry," she cried as she looked up at Harry. "I'm so sorry, please forgive me…please.."

"Ginny," he said softly as he looked away. "I think you better go."

Ginny looked horrified as she stared at Harry, before she turned and ran off in tears. "Bloody hell, Harry," Ron said as he watched her sister run off. "I had no idea."

"No, I don't think anyone did." He turned to Hermione who was still leaning against him. "Let's get you back into bed."

"Harry," she said as she hugged him. "I'm sorry."

"Don't worry, you were right to tell me," he said as he helped her to her bed. "Come on, this wore you out."

"Can I do anything?" Ron asked from the doorway.

Harry looked up and smiled. "Yeah, you can go down to the kitchen and ask your mum to warm her up some soup."

"You got it," he said with a smile and then walked off."

"Hermione," he said once she was back in her bed under the covers. "How did you find out?"

Hermione looked down at her lap as if she couldn't bear to look at him. "I walked in on her as she was working on the potion. She had her school potion kit out and a box of chocolates, along with a picture of you." She let out a sniff as she rubbed her nose. "I was so angry with her, for tricking you like that. She tried to deny it, but it was no use, I caught her red handed."

"What happened then?"

"After I called her every name in the book and poured the potion down the toilet?" she asked as she lifted her watery eyes up at him.

He smiled and tucked her chin playfully. "Yeah after that."

"I told her I'd give her the chance to tell you the truth herself. If she didn't I would tell you myself. I was going to keep an eye on her, but then I got sick, so I…I talked with Hedwig."

His brow lifted. "Hedwig? My owl?"

"Yeah," she said with a laugh. "I didn't trust her, Harry, so I told Hedwig that whatever Ginny sent you, make sure she got rid of it."

"Well then," he said with a grin. "Hedwig obviously trusts you more than Ginny."

"Well I should hope so!" Hermione countered back. "She's practically mine too, since I don't have an owl."

"I know she is," he said and he grabbed her hand. "And I appreciate you both looking out for me."

She smiled brightly at him then it slowly faded. "Harry, I'm really sorry. I know it must hurt to realize that it never meant anything."

"It's all right," he assured her. "Really. I'm almost a little relieved. At the beginning of the summer I still thought about her, obviously the potion was still in affect, and thanks to you the chocolates never came and I slowly started to forget about her and thought more about…" He swallowed what he was about to say and stared at her completely dumfounded. He thought about her. A lot.

"About what?" Hermione asked as she touched his arm.

He gave her a shaky smile. "You," he said brightly as he gave her hand a friendly pat. "And Ron of course."

Her shoulders slumped a bit and she let out a sigh. "Oh," she said giving him a half smile. "Of course."

Was she upset? No, of course not why would she be. "Hermione, what's…"

"Soup is here!" Ron said cheerfully as he came in brightly then narrowed his eyes at Crookshanks who was now back on the bed. "That is, if someone would let me give it to her."

"Here, I'll take it," Harry said as he got up.

"No," Ron said firmly. "It's not right, I should be able to give my sick best friend her soup."

Harry sighed and looked at Crookshanks. "He's right you know, he's not going to insult her or hurt her, right Ron?"

"Of course not," Ron sighed.

"Go on then, give it to her," Harry said as he stepped back. "He should leave you alone."

The tray shook slightly as Ron kept a careful eye on Crookshanks who was watching him closely. "Er…here you go," he said as he carefully placed the tray on her lap and then jerked back his hands.

"Thanks, Ron," she giggled. "See? You two are best friends already."

"Yeah," he said as he wiped his sweaty hands on his pants. "The best."

"We'll let you eat," Harry said.

"Wait, will you two do me a favor?" she asked before they could leave.

"Sure, anything," Harry and Ron both said at the same time and they eyed each other.

Hermione smiled. "I know it's weird, but would you two go and get your chess set and play chess in here?" She blushed as she gave them a shrug. "I always silently enjoyed watching you two play."

Ron brightened. "Yeah, sure Hermione! I'll go get the stuff!"

Harry shook his head as he left. "I'm only doing this for you, you know I hate it when he beats me."

She smiled as she sipped on her chicken broth. "I know. You look so cute when you play though, like you are trying to use extra brain cells you don't normally use to beat him."

His jaw dropped. "Hermione! Now how am I going to concentrate when I know you think I look cute when I'm trying to think."

"Sorry," she said with a grin. "Will it help to know that whenever Ron sees a huge move while he's waiting for you to go, he can't keep his eyes off it."

He opened his mouth, then shut it. "Really?"

"Yeah, watch him while you're thinking of your next move. You might be able to figure out his strategy."

"Okay, I've got it!" Ron said holding it up over his head. "You ready to get beat, Harry."

Harry and Hermione shared a grin. "I wouldn't get too cocky, Weasley."

XXX

"Dangit, that's the third time you've beaten me," Ron grumbled as he angrily pushed the chess pieces back in place. "I mean granted, I've beaten you more, but you hardly ever beat me at all!"

"What can I say, I got luck on my side" Harry said and then winked at Hermione. "Right?"

She smiled sleepily as she tried to fight back a yawn. "Right."

Harry frowned. "You look tired. Ron, why don't we call it a night and let Hermione sleep."

"Yeah, okay," he said as his shoulders slumped. "I am obviously off tonight anyway."

"Thanks guys," Hermione said with a smile as she hunkered down. "I enjoyed it. It was like old times."

Harry grinned as he took her empty tray off the bed and gave it to Ron. "Are you feeling better?"

"Much," she beamed. "I don't feel like I have a fever."

"When was the last time you took a sip of water?" Harry asked as he took the thermometer.

"About thirty minutes ago," she said with a smile and looked at Ron. "Right after Harry beat you for the first time."

Ron scowled. "Yeah, he better not get use to it. I'm going to take this down, sleep well Hermione."

"Night Ron," she said her voice still sounding hoarse. She cleared her throat and shook her head. "When is my voice going to come back?"

"Give it time," he said as he placed the thermometer in her mouth. "Besides, some guys find that raspy voice rather sexy." She replied by giving him a scowl and he just laughed. "What? I'm serious. I, myself, find it sexy." She rolled her eyes. "You don't believe me?" She shook her head. "Well all right, guess you'll never know." The thermometer let out a ding and so he pulled it out. "A little lower than last, you're on the mend."

"But I still have a little bit of a fever?" she asked with a frown.

"Yes, but don't worry, it'll go down. Want me to get you another wash cloth?"


"Would you mind?" she asked hopefully.

"Not at all," he said as he walked to the washroom to accommodate her. He sat back down by her hip, brushing her strands of hair away, before gently placing the cool cloth on her head. "Feel good?"

"Yeah, you have a nice touch, Harry," she smiled lazily up at him. "You're going to make a good father someday."

He tensed up, but only for a second. It made him feel good to hear her say that, but a part of him couldn't help but think that he might never get the chance. "You should get some sleep."

Harry started to get up but she grabbed his arm to keep him where he was. "You're going to live through this, Harry."

He shook his head. "Hermione, you don't know that."

"Maybe I don't," Hermione said honestly as she squeezed his arm. "But it's what I believe."

She couldn't have said anything else that would make him feel any better. It was that she believed that made it different. Not that she knew, but believed. "If that's what you believe," he said as he took her hand. "Then I believe it, too." He lifted her hand and kissed it. "Get some sleep, I'll see you in the morning."

"Good night, Harry."

"Good night," he said giving Crookshanks a little scratch. "Keep watch, boy."

Hermione laughed. "Yeah, my scary guard cat."

"You know, this cat has so much heart, I think he could take on some Death Eaters for you." Crookshanks replied by exposing his belly again and he laughed. "Well, he might not look like much of a fighter now, but it's in there." He gave his belly a finally rub, and winked at Hermione before walking out of the room and closed the door behind him.

He stood by the door for a moment and just stared as if he could see Hermione through the wood. For some reason he found it hard to walk away.