Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Little Things by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Little Things

Harrys Mistress

I am SO sorry this took me so long to update. Although a lot happens in this chapter a lot is still to come. I promise not to take as long as I did to get the next one out! Hope you enjoy this one!

Chapter 6

The wedding went by in a blur. The ceremony started at noon, but was over fairly soon after. Harry stayed close to Hermione through the ceremony and the reception afterwards. She looked beautiful of course, with her royal blue robe and her hair all smooth and sleek as it floated around her. Since she wore it straight, her hair was longer than usual and it almost reached her waist.

He danced with her. Bad idea. He now knew how well they fit pressed up against each other. His problem. He had to get these urges to kiss Hermione out of his head. It was beyond absurd. Where did these feelings come from? What can he do to get rid of them? Agreeing to dance with her again wasn't a good start.

It was close to three when Bill and Fleur left for their honeymoon, and Harry, Hermione and Ron went to change for the trip to Godric's Hollow. The apparrated to the outskirts of town and thanks to Lupin's directions, they were able to find it easily. They passed the cemetery on the way, but Harry told them he wanted to see the house first.

The three stood in front of the rotted door leading into the house, which by the looks of it hasn't been touched since the night his parents were killed. This was the house that once belonged to them. The house he once knew as his home.

Hermione stood next to him, holding his hand close to his side, as Ron stood on the other side.

Thank Merlin they were there. He didn't think he could do this without them..

"Are we going in?" Ron asked.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Sorry, I…"

"Take your time," Harry," she said softly, then snuck a quick glare to Ron. "We'll go in when you are ready."

Harry squeezed her hand. "Thanks. Just give me a…"

"You three going in there?"

They turned around to see a boy perched on a bike who couldn't be older than fourteen and a smaller boy on a smaller bike was behind him, smacking on a large piece of gum. "Yes, we were planning on it."

The older boy shook his head slowly and let out a breath. "Good luck, then. It's haunted."

Harry exchanged quick glances with Ron and Hermione. "Really?"

"You bet. Last summer, me and my little brother here spent the night in there on a dare. We didn't last and lost a few pounds. Junior here screamed like a little girl."

"The bloody hell I did!" the younger boy exclaimed.

The older boy snorted. "The bloody hell you didn't."

Harry couldn't help but smirk at the brother banter. "It's okay, my parents lived here. So did I for a year, until they were…until they died."

To his surprise both of their jaws dropped. "You are the baby that lived here? The legend said you vanished, but no one knew where."

"Legend?" Hermione asked. "What legend?"

"Oh, everyone in town knows it. No one really knows what happened. The old folks that were around at the time swore they saw a man gliding across the ground on a cloak. Some say they saw flashes of green lights." The boy shrugged. "No one really knows."

"So no one has touched it since then?" Harry asked.

"Nope, no one had the guts. Just been rotting away. So, what happened, huh? Wait till the guys get a load of this, they'll never believe me!"

"Er, actually," Harry said as he walked down the steps to them. "Do you mind keeping this a secret for a day or two? This is the first time I've been back and I don't want a lot of people around."

The older boy shrugged. "Sure, not a problem. It's Shawn you have to worry about, has a flapping mouth on him."

"Do not!" the younger boy said.

"Do too. Don't worry, I'll gag him for a day, it will be my pleasure."

"You are not gagging me."

"Then learn to keep your mouth shut." He turned to Harry. "Good luck, mate. See you around."

Harry watched them ride off on their bikes, before turning back around and walking back up to where Hermione and Ron still were. "Ready?"

"Whenever you are, Harry," Hermione said taking his hand when Harry reached for hers.

Harry didn't even realized he did this, but their fingers were linked as he turned the knob and opened the slowly. It creaked of course. Don't all old spooky houses creak? The entrance was small and right in front of them was the wooden stairs leading up to the second floor.

Harry didn't move from the front entrance, it was too much to take in. To the right of him was the dinning room. The table was still there and so was a high chair. Hermione must have seen it, because she gasped and stood closer to him for support.

"This is so weird," Harry said as he stood still, taking it all in. The boy outside was right, nothing seemed to have been moved. Damaged maybe, and covered with dust, but the furniture was still there, paintings still hung on the wall. They were muggle paintings, since all of them were still.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Ron was still lingering in the door so he looked over at him to see if anything was wrong. It didn't' seem that Ron was even thinking about the house or what he was going through, because his eyes were locked on Harry's hand that was linked with Hermione's. He did not look happy.

"You've got to be kidding me," Hermione said angrily as she glared at Ron. Obviously she had noticed Ron's jealous behavior as well. "You are going to act like a jealous prat, now?"

Ron let out a sarcastic laugh. "Guess so. You two are obviously in your own element right now and definitely don't need me. I should just go and leave you two alone. Maybe you two can snuggle again."

"Ron," Harry sighed tiredly. "Nothing is…"

"No Harry, don't," she said firmly. "He doesn't deserve an explanation, he should realize what's going on himself. This isn't about you, Ron, and I know it's surprising but the world doesn't revolve around Ronald Weasley. Can't you see how hard this is for Harry? Are you that shallow? What would it be like for you if you never knew the Burrow and your parents were killed. You step into the Burrow for the first time in years, how would you feel?"

Ron angrily looked away from her, obviously feeling guilty but too stubborn to admit it. To Harry's surprise he remained silent and let Hermione continue with the talking. She was obviously saying enough for the both of them.

"You've had your chance with me, Ron, you were the one that never asked me out." Ron looked up at him now, his face paled and his eyes widened with shock. "It's too late. Maybe if you had asked me during sixth year, instead of snogging Lavender things would be different, but I'm tired of waiting and now I have no desire to be in a relationship with you." Hermione shook her head hopelessly and turned to Harry. "Let's go upstairs, I've said enough."

Without waiting for an answer, Hermione led the way up the rickety stairs, not even pausing when the front door slammed shut behind them. They were in the hallway upstairs when Harry finally stopped and tugged at Hermione for her to turn around. "Hermione…"

"I'm sorry, Harry," she rushed out before he could talk. "It wasn't the time or place but…but I just got so mad at him! He's such a little…selfish git sometimes and I just want to….arrgh!"

Harry smiled when she pretended to strangle him with her bare hands. "I know what you mean." He then leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. "And thanks for standing up for me and…understanding what I'm going through."

"Oh, Harry," she said stepping into to him for a hug. "I can't even imagine what you are going through."

"It helps that you are here," he said wrapping his arms around her and resting his chin on top of her head. "No matter what, you're always next to me when I need you."

"That's what best friends are for," she murmured against his chest.

Harry was about to pull away, but then a door that was slightly opened caught his eye. "Hermione, look," he said turning her around. "I think…I think that's my bedroom."

Hermione reached up to grab his hand that was on her shoulder. "Let's go in together."

Harry nodded and together they walked into the room that once was his nursery. The crib was still there. The wood panels were broken here and there and one leg was missing, but it was still standing. A rocking chair was in the corner and Harry could tell it use to be a bright yellow color, but now it was faded and chipped.

"My mum use to rock me in that," he said as he stared at it. "I don't know how, but I remember."

"Being here might trigger some memories," she said looking around the room. "Oh, Harry look at your mobile. It's decorated with snitches." She reached out and touched one her eyes swimming with tears. "It's just so sad." She sighed as she turned to face him but then gasped when she stepped on something that cracked under her foot. "What in the…"

Harry watched as she knelt down and picked up what looked like an old picture frame. She turned it over and then her eyes turned soft as she placed a hand over her mouth. "What?" Harry asked as she walked to him. "What is it?"

Hermione held out the picture and he took it hesitantly then looked at the picture under the cracked glass. It was a picture of him and his dad. His dad was sitting on the floor with his legs folded and out, creating a semi circle for his one year old self to sit in. They were both looking up as a golden snitch was flittering close to Harry's small pudgy fingers. Harry was beaming as his focused green eyes were on the snitch, while his father watched him with pride. Harry then was able to grab it and James clapped while Harry squealed with delight, before letting the snitch go to do it all over again.

Harry sank into the rocking chair as he watched the picture and Hermione sat on the arm of the chair, placing an arm around him while resting her chin on his shoulder. "It's a beautiful picture, Harry." She smiled and let out a little laugh. "No wonder you were such a natural at Seeker. You were catching the Snitch before you could walk."

Harry's lips curved. "Apparently."

Hermione then pulled out her wand and pointed it to the framed picture. "Reparo."

Harry watched in amazement as the crack in the glass disappeared and the rusted silver frame now gleamed. It was as if the picture and the frame was brand new. "Thanks, Hermione."

"You're welcome. Maybe we'll find more pictures while we are here."

"Maybe," he said taking a breath as he stood up slowly, setting the picture aside to look at Hermione. "I need to check out their room next, then go visit their graves."

"Well then," she said taking his hand. "Let's go."

XXX

The sun was setting as Harry and Hermione stood in front of his parents graves. Harry didn't know what to say, but being there with Hermione helped. "I guess I should introduce you," Harry finally said giving her a small smile.

"I'd like that," she said looking at their graves.

"Mum, Dad…this is Hermione." Harry looked at her and smiled. "She's been my best friend since first year. Might have started off rocky, but it didn't take me long to realize how lucky I was to have her as a friend."

Hermione smiled. "You were just thankful to have someone help me with your homework."

Harry chuckled. "Maybe at first, but I now know you are more than that."

"Thank you," she said and then turned back to the graves. "And I want to thank you two for bringing Harry to the world. He was the first real friend I ever had. Your son has always been a great friend to me, even when we argued he still remained close. He means everything to me."

Harry's heart turned sharply at her words. "Hermione."

"Shh," she said lifting up on her toes and kissing her cheek. "I'll let you have some alone time and meet you back at the house."

"Hermione." He grabbed her hand before she could go. "I want to stay here tonight. At the house. Will you stay with me? Just one night and then we'll go back to the Burrow and patch things up with Ron."

"Of course I'll stay here with you." She hugged him tight. "Stay as long as you like. I'll pick up something to eat and meet you at the house. I'll fix up your parents room and we'll stay there."

Harry blushed a little at the thought of sharing the big king size bed with Hermione. "Er…all right. Thanks."

When he was alone he sat on the grass facing his parents. "That was Hermione. She really is my best friend, she's always been there for me. More than anyone. I have another best friend named, Ron, but…we're in a bit of a spat. We've had our differences and he gets jealous of me sometimes." Harry sighed as he started to pick at the grass. "I'm famous and rich. Big deal. I don't have you guys. I don't have a family like he does and it makes me mad that he takes it for granted sometimes."

He was silent for awhile, then turned to look in the direction Hermione had left. "I'm starting to feel things. For Hermione." He shook his head as he looked at the ground. "I shouldn't be, she's been my friend for so long and I need her. I don't want to go and mess things up over something that's probably just a crush. Although, I don't think that's the case. Since I've known her for so long, it be stupid to have just a crush on her. It be something more, wouldn't it?"

He shrugged and let out a laugh. "Besides, she's not the kind of girl you have crushes on." He shook his head and waved his hand. "I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just that Hermione's the kind of girl that when you really look at her, I mean really look…she's the most beautiful person in the world." Thinking of her now made his stomach dance. "My last two girlfriends…Cho and Ginny…they were very pretty. The kind of girls where hormonal gits like me run into something because they can't stop staring. I then learned that it's just not about looks. Yes, they were pretty, but they both ended badly. The last one wasn't even real. How sad is that?" He snorted. "Love potion, can you believe it? What idiot thought that was a good idea to invent?"

Harry started to pick the grass again, creating a nice pile of shredded spears. "I guess what I'm trying to say is, Hermione is special. It took me awhile to realize it and now that I do know, I'm scared to do something about it. She's too valuable as a friend and let's not forget Ron, who also has a crush on her. Dad, it be like if you found out Sirius liked Mum, too. It makes matters worse." He sighed. "I wish you were here so you can tell me what to do. Maybe you can send me some sort a sign or silently urge me to do something. Just a thought."

Harry stood up, brushing off the shredded spears of grass from his pants. "I better go. Thanks for listening and I'm glad I finally got to visit you two. I love you both. I'll be back to visit. Whether here or joining you up there…I'll be back."

With that said, he turned on his heels and started to make his way back to the house to meet Hermione.