Unofficial Portkey Archive

Until Midnight by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Until Midnight

Rosali

A/N: My computer broke and only yesterday I managed to get the tech to fix it. I am updating this and not What is Love? or The Untold Tragedy because this chapter was almost finished and it was the final part of the Alternate future proposed at the beginning of Until Midnight. This Alternate Future is detached from the chapter in which Ron and Hermione take off from Godric's Hollow. Remember that the Italics are Hermione's thoughts and please enjoy!

Until Midnight

==================================

I promise

- Part two of the Alternate Future -

===========================================

Another silence.

Tears are on the verge of falling now. I won't even give him that.

-Right. I see. Take care, Harry. -Hermione says coldly and stands almost knocking the chair back. She takes a breath. Compose yourself, Granger! He doesn't love you like you love him; that is clear, so take the dignity you have left and exit now.

-Hermione, please don't -he stands as well, his hand outstretched.

Hermione has her back to Harry no and her legs are moving towards the door, but a word from his mouth and she stops. -What, Harry? -she says, still not turning to look at him.

-I... I need... -He stops in mid-sentence and the flicker of hope that ignited inside her for a moment, vanishes.

And I wait, as always. But she doesn't look back.

-Please, sit down, the food is already here. See? -He tries uselessly and Hermione closes her eyes, the first tears beating her will.

No, not anymore. -No, Harry. I'm not hungry anymore -she stops again. Here's to hoping against hope.

But nothing.

-Tell Ron I said "hi"-and she walks away, leaving Harry with the words, whichever they were, in his mouth.

I'm not going to cling to an illusion anymore. Even if it kills me... more.

She's reaching the exit, her head down and all the tears she'd beaten back the last hour, fall. She accelerates her pace towards the door, but bumps into someone and drops her bag; all its contents spilling on the floor. Oh, bloody hell, just what I needed. She quickly gets down on her knees, not even looking at the stranger.

-I'm sorry, ma'am, I wasn't looking.

A familiar voice. Great. Perfect. -Don't worry, Ron, I got it -she speaks and her voice sounds so weak it's barely recognizable as Hermione Granger's.

-Mione? -he lifts her chin softly.

Who would've thought he'd be so gentle... The last ten years have made the two care for each other like family would.

-What happened? Are you all right?

-Yes, fine. Sorry, I was just leaving. I'll see you at Ginny's on Saturday. -She tries to move out the door, but he gets in her way.

-What? Wait. Please stop.

-What, Ron? I'm leaving. I can't take Harry anymore.

He frowns and leans his head to a side to get a better look at the man in the back of the restaurant, and then turns back to Hermione. -What on earth did you two do in 45 minutes that you are bailing in tears and Harry looks as if he's going to AK himself right now? -he tries to lighten the mood in vain.

Hermione looks up. Why do I have this anticipation? I'm not sure if it's because I feel sorry for him or if it is some sort of illusion. -Really?

-As far as I can see, yes.

Oh, goodness, why am I doing this? Hermione! You shouldn't feel bad, you've had enough of all this! Hermione nods. She looks confused and mortified.

-Come on, Mione, let's go back in, have a nice dinner, and I promise you won't feel bad all night. All right? -He says and places a hand on Hermione's shoulder, his eyes begging for the woman to try a little harder to make things the way they used to be ten years ago.

Hermione smiles and raises a hand to his cheek. Ron can be sweet sometimes... when did that happen? Luna is a lucky girl. I wish Harry would be like that with me again.

-I'm sorry, Ron, I can't. It's been too long and I...

He sighs and cuts her off with a shake of his head. -I understand, don't worry. I'll floo you tomorrow, all right?

-Yes, thank you, but I'll be fine, don't worry.

And she walks away. Ron watches her leave and sighs again, trying hard not to be mad at his recently-recovered best friend. He walks into the restaurant and towards Harry's table.

The man is staring at his plate of food and doesn't realize Ron's arrived. At Ron's greeting, he jumps and looks up, startled. -Oh, hello, I didn't see you come in.

-I realized that while you were thinking of how to best drown yourself in that soup.

-Drown myse... what? Oh! Right, well...

-I saw her leave.

He looks up, his eyes wide. -Did she say anything?

-Not really. What did YOU say to make her run in tears?

-She was crying? Oh, Merlin. -he takes a hand to his face and through his hair.

-So?

-I... I really don't know.

-What do you mean, "you don't know"? You must have said something. She's not the crying type.

-I know. Well, we were talking about ten years ago

-And?

-And she asks me if it's too late.

-And you say...?

-Nothing.

-Nothing? -the redhead asks in disbelief.

-What did you expect me to tell her?

Ron sighs and shakes his head, bringing his thumb and index to rub his eyes. A moment later, he looks up and sighs again. -Well? Is it? -he repeats the earlier question.

Harry looks up and shakes his head in confusion. -I don't know, Ron.

The man closes his eyes and takes a breath. -Harry, you know what she was asking.

He looks up again, surprised this time; opens his mouth to speak once, twice, and finally drops his head to evade his friend's inquiring gaze. -Yes, I know, but I'm not sure if…

For the first time, Ron looks angry. -Why? Why won't you? Please explain it to me because I am tired of seeing you two so miserable!

-It's not that I don't love her, all right?-Harry responds, his tone matching his friend's- it's more complicated than that… -he says, his uncertainty betraying him.

Ron stays silent for a moment, staring at Harry, and then a realization hits him. He sighs, stands and drowns what's left of his wine. He walks around the table and crouches next to Harry as if he were talking to a child. -Listen, mate, no one wants you dead anymore. Voldemort is gone, for good this time. Neville killed Bellatrix a year after the battle. The death eaters disappeared a long time ago. It is time…

Harry blinks, seemingly unsure of what to say. -I… I'm always scared for her… for you. I don't know if any day now you might be…

-Harry, listen to me -he reiterates- it's been years since the last attacks; it's been ten years and we managed to do what you asked us to, even without you -Ron places an hand on Harry's shoulder and smiles-. Don't you think it's time that you get what you want? Both of you?

Harry's eyes are locked with his friend's. He doesn't even move and Ron stands. -It's on me tonight. Please, think about it, and in any case, she probably is in the park by the bridge. -He walks away and raises a hand in good-bye. -See you next week, mate.

And he's gone.

Harry stares at the door for the longest time, unsure of how to act. He knows what he wants, but he doesn't know how to do it. He doesn't know how to love her. He passes his hand through his hair, confusion rising inside of him like an erupting volcano.

-What the hell am I doing? -he asks the air and runs out the door of the restaurant. In mid-race, he stops. -I can't...

He looks left and right, as if the world was closing in around him. -I can't apparate on her doorstep like that...

He bites his bottom lip, a habit he picked from Hermione when she was thinking something up and making a decision. A soundless POP later he is gone and little over ten minutes after that, he appears on Hermione's doorstep, a paper bag in his hand. He gathers all of what's left of that Gryffindor courage and knocks on the door two, three times, and then one more: another habit they had taken up from their years at Hogwarts and the war.

Great Merlin! It's past eleven. Who on earth could be knocking at this hour. She rubs her sore eyes after the tears had run dry and then stops dead in her tracks. She remembers that knock. What? Harry! She immediately panics and runs to open the door.

-What's going on, what's wrong? -Hermione asks barely a second after she's fully opened it and without even taking a good look at the man standing in front of her.

-I... Hermione I... I have to tell you... -he stutters.

She finally looks up and frowns. -Harry! You don't look hurt at all!

-I am not, why would I?

-The knock? -she says matter-of-factly.

-Oh, right, no.

She regards him sternly and puts a hand on her hip. She is not happy. -Then what are you doing here? -she asks coldly. Oh, I'm so mean, why am I so mean to him?

-You're right, I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. -he turns around and starts to walk away.

Hermione stares after him and frowns. Is it possible? Could he have...? Oh, but I blew it anyhow, she scolds at herself and starts to turn around when he hears hurried steps back towards her flat and looks up.

-Yes, I had a reason to come. I was bringing you a midnight snack. I know you like midnight snacks very much. Well, you used to at least. Well, ten years ago you used to, I completely understand if you don't like midnight snacks anymore because... well, because it's been ten years and I haven't been here for ten years, you know. So... of course I understand if you...

-Harry!

He stops and stares at her, his beautiful green eyes wide with uncertainty. -Right, I'm sorry.

-You're rambling; you know how much I hate it when you ramble.

-Right, sorry.

- And please stop apologising.

-Right, sorry... oh! Bollocks! I'm...

-Harry! And yes, I still love midnight snacks. -should I invite him in?- come on in and show me what you brought me.

He stops and his eyes widen more, if that's even possible. And apparently he wasn't expecting that... maybe I shouldn't... And then he smiles. Oh, that beautiful smile. How can I say no?

She steps away from the threshold to let Harry in and smiles back. Maybe, just maybe… one night won't kill me any more.

-I like what you've done with the place. Last time I saw it, you'd just moved in and it was completely empty.

-Well, it's been a long time, Harry. Please take a seat -she leads the way towards the small kitchen and offers him a sit in the round table.- I know it's not as big as… it's not as big as Godric's Hallow, but it's really all I need.

-Yes, I know. It's just you, right?

-Of course -she laughs- so, what did you bring?

-I hope you still like Critters, I brought like five of them.

Now I remember why I love him. He is caring, he is nice; he knows what I like…then why on earth won't he? Frustration threatens to overtake her cool demeanour. -I still love Critters -she laughs- Critters still drive me crazy. I'll make some tea.

-I brought you a latte too.

-Wow, you still remember.

-I still remember a lot of things, Mione.

She raises an eyebrow. -And you are trying to say…? -Harry looks down and, without looking at her, he summons a plate and starts putting the Critters on it. -Harry?

He finally looks up. -That I am really sorry Hermione. That I was stupid ten years ago and that I… that I am sorry, truly.

She frowns again, trying to keep the glimmer of hope in her eyes. She smiles softly. -It's all right Harry, this is now.

-No, it's not okay, Hermione. -He stops and stares at her, unsure of what to say next.

It is now or never Harry, please tell me… whatever it is, please tell me.

His head snaps up and his bright eyes focus on hers.

You are doing it again. And don't apologise. I want to hear whatever you have to say. She thinks to his legillimens.

Harry doesn't break eye contact, and a moment later, he nods and takes a breath. -Earlier today, Hermione, you asked me something.

He stops. Come on, please. He starts talking again and Hermione suppresses a sigh of relief.

-You asked me something, Hermione Granger, and now I have an answer. No, it's not too late, I want to make things right between us -he says, holding on for dear life for the effect of his words.

But Hermione says nothing.

And Harry hesitates. Don't. Please don't, Harry. Explain it to me. I deserve your explanation, she adds in her mind, knowing Harry is listening to everything she's thinking. He nods again.

-Hermione, you have no idea how hard it was to let you go ten years ago. I thought it was the right thing to do. But I was wrong. I… I have been a shell for ten years, because I had cut my soul from myself.

Hermione's eyes widen. I don't understand.

Harry stands and takes two steps, closing the distance between them and taking both her hands in his. He is hesitant, what is he trying to say? Could I be imagining it? Harry shakes his head.

-Hermione, I have loved you for longer than I can even remember. We couldn't be together ten years ago because there was a war raging and I didn't know if I was going to make it. And then I was plainly stupid, and I have regretted my stupidity every day for ten years. But I can't live like that anymore, and I am hoping you can't either.

Hermione's eyes fill with tears. I wasn't imagining it, she says to herself. She smiles and looks down, then up again. -I love you too, Harry.

His eyes widen in disbelief. -You… you can legillimens?

-It's been a long time, and I have picked a few tricks since then.

Harry laughs and takes a hand to her cheek. -I am so sorry, Hermione, I was so stupid. And I am so sorry it took me so long. But mostly… mostly I regret with every part of myself that I've hurt you. And I promise to make it up to you for as long as I live -he stops and smiles shyly- or as long as you want me by your side. I promise not to hurt you like that again, Hermione Granger, because I love you. I have loved you for years and I will love you forever.

He then leans forward, slowly, gently, and places his lips shyly on hers. A kiss asking permission to kiss; a kiss asking for a lifetime of love and care; a kiss that took long to arrive but that will stay with them.

==================

A/N: And that's it! That's the end of the Alternate future, my friends. I hope you liked the fluff and that it wasn't too unbearable, hehe. Now all we've got left is to finish the real story. Please leave a comment!

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->