Unofficial Portkey Archive

Until Midnight by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Until Midnight

Rosali

A/N: I know it's been years since I uploaded anything from the fic (or any other, except for What is Love?, which is now finished, yay!), but yesterday I was browsing through my fics and started correcting (hence the re-upload of the whole story), and today I wanted to finish it. So I did! Double yay!

The sad thing is that because I re-uploaded the chapters, I lost all of you reviews! I am so sorry! Please make my day (and don't let this fic stand so sad, with no reviews) and let me know what you think! Thank you!

Oh! Last chapter ended in Hermione and Ron leaving and Harry running after them only to find they were already gone.

============================

Part four

Always together

============================

"Wait!" His voice echoed in the dark, drowned by the incessant thumping of raindrops on the road and the angry tides against the reef. Harry stopped a few meters from the apparition point, only to meet a dematerializing Hermione searching for the source of the voice. "Hermione, no!" He reached out his hand and closed his fingers around raindrops.

He stood rooted in the spot, even his closed fist froze and he dropped his head, closing his eyes and hearing, one by one, the pieces of his heart shattering with the thunder of the electric storm that was starting to form.

A thunder struck a short distance from where he was standing and Harry was snapped out of the catatonic state he had fallen into for a split second. He gasped and had no choice but to run back to Godric's Hollow with the sinking sensation that the moment he set foot there again, he would hate the place… their place.

He waited out the storm. There was no way to apparate anymore, and he hadn't wired the fireplace to the floo network for security reasons. Even as skillful as he was, an electric storm could interfere with the dematerializing of apparition and you could end up getting splinched; Hermione had drilled that into his head as she helped him master apparition, back in sixth year at school.

Every second, minute, and hour that passed, it was one second, minute and hour in which his best friends in the world, one of which was the love of his life drifted further from him. And he could not bear it. To make time pass faster and to drown the emptiness that was now the house, Harry summoned a bottle of firewhisky and sunk into the plush loveseat that was the only furniture in the living room and where he and Hermione snuggled when it was a particularly cold evening. Ron always preferred the furry carpet, closer to the fire.

Before he knew it, he had drowsed to sleep and the storm had passed. The eerie quiet of his family's home (in every sense of the word) was what had woken him. He stirred and was confused at first because there was no one around. Then he remembered he was now alone. Completely alone.

His stomach turned at the hollow in his chest and didn't even make it to the bathroom as the little contents of his stomach emptied on the same carpet Ron used to use. Harry had to swallow back some bile in his throat and tried to get over the dizzy feeling of his head. Whoever said alcohol made you forget was a complete wanker.

A moment later, he managed to stand and summon the ring to his hand. I have to fix this. He said to himself and walked out to the apparition point near the cottage and apparated to the Burrow, where he was almost certain his friends would be… if they're still willing to be my friends…

When the countryside materialized in front of his eyes, his stomach was still in deep disagreement, but he succeeded in keeping what was left of his food, inside him. He started to walk the mile that separated his second home from the apparition point, and he walked forward towards the funny-looking house… at least he tried to walk forward, and as soon as he stepped into the yard, the Burrow's alarms went off, and before he could announce himself, several red flashes were thrown his way, and by some miracle, he dodged them all.

-It's me! -he yelled at his assailants.

-Identify yourself! -his friend's familiar voice sounded from a few meters ahead.

-It's Harry, you git! -Hermione snapped and walked to where Harry was- are you dead from the neck up, you could've gotten yourself killed! -she continued, surprising Harry with how angry she sounded.

He ran up to her and closed the distance between the two. Her beautiful face was red, and her eyes puffy. She'd been crying. I'm a prat, he told himself at seeing how much pain he'd caused the one person he loved most in the world.

-Have you been drinking? -she asked and pulled away a bit, wrinkling her nose- you reek of firewhisky and...

-It was just to pass the storm.

-And how many storms were there?

-I… what? -he asked, his intoxicated mind unable to catch the sarcasm.

-You must've drained the whole bottle!

-I'm sorry!

-Don't tell me, it's your liver that will shrivel and die.

He took her hands in his, his eyes feverish with how much he meant what he was saying… and alcohol. -No, no, Mione, I'm so sorry! For everything!

She stepped further back, making him let go off her hands and responded angrily. -No, Harry Potter, you can't come in and say that after what you made us do.

-I know, but…

-No, there is no but that will take it away.

Harry stepped into her personal space and talked so close to her face that their noses were almost touching. -But I love you, Hermione, so, so much -he whispered to her.

She shook her head, her eyes filling with tears again, even though she thought they had run dry. -Harry, this isn't you talking… -she whispered back, breathless.

He took her face in his hands, chilled as they were in the night and brushed a tear away. -It absolutely is me, Mione. I was so stupid. I was so bent on keeping you guys safe that I…

-You what? Forgot we were humans and not some old toys? -she asked, anger returning to her tone and taking his hands from her face.

But Harry kept on pushing. He didn't know how to make her understand how sorry he was and how much he needed her… and Ron in his life. -That I chose to ignore my feelings. I was completely off base, Hermione. You're my balance, my cornerstone.

For a moment, her determination failed, and he could see in her eyes how much he'd hurt her by trying to uphold that stupid vow he'd taken more than a year ago. He saw so much pain that he thought there was no way of fixing it and he stepped back, away from her, head hanging. -Please forgive me. Please! -he said passionately and then shook his head- I'll go now. I understand. I'm sorry. -He finished and started to walk away, his tears mixing with the soft raindrops left from the storm, surprised at how it was even possible for such a broken person to still be on his feet.

A minute passed in which Hermione only watched him go, the light drizzle now making her hair soaking wet. She heard footsteps from behind.

-What was that about? -Ron asked.

-I don't know… I think he was… apologizing.

-A bit late for that, isn't it? -he asked bitterly.

-Yes, a bit late… -Hermione added idly.

-Why was he so close?

-I… he was telling me… how much he… loved me… -her voice broke at the last words.

-He… did?

Hermione nodded. -But he's drunk. He's just panicking. -Her voice sounded hollow and distant, even to her.

-No, it's not just that.

-What do you mean? -she asked, turning her eyes from the retreating form of the man she'd loved for so long to her best friend.

-Mione, that man's been in love with you since third year.

-What? No! He was with Ginny! We were together after that! -she said, confused.

-We both learned to live with that. -He said matter-of-factly.

Hermione kept quiet for a few moments. Harry's cloak was barely visible now through the rain. -Are you sure.

-Positive.

-Then why did he send us away?

-He's scared. I understand it now, after seeing him come here.

-Should I… should we forgive him?

-I don't know Mione. He's capable of hurting you… and me so much… -he said broken heartedly.

-No one can do that… -she said, her voice think with tears.

-But you deserve happiness. I know that you love him too.

-But what if he walks away on us again? I don't think I could survive it…

-I don't think I could either, but it's about a choice, taking a chance. He took his when coming here…

Without another word, Hermione set off towards Harry. Ron thought about running after her, but then knew it wasn't something he should witness, or interfere with.

-Harry! Harry, stop! -Hermione cried breathlessly and Harry turned, his face surprised- I'm sorry too.

-You have nothing to be sorry about, Mione. This was all my doing -he said, and Hermione could see a flicker of hope in his green eyes. She loved that.

-Yes, I do. You came here and I sent you off.

-I deserved it.

-Yes, you did. But I shouldn't have done it. -She said and stepped closer to him-. Did you really mean what you said?

-Yes, every word.

-Even when you said…

-That I loved you? That part more than anything. I'm so sorry it took me so long to figure it out.

She took his hands and looked up at him. -I'm scared, Harry.

-About what?

-You leaving again! -she said desperately.

Harry stared at her for the longest minute and then started shaking his head, almost manically. He put his arms around her and hugged Hermione tight, as if she would disappear any second. -No. I will never leave. I swear.

-You broke your promise before -she cried to his ear.

Harry hugged her closer and started sliding to the ground, finally sinking to his knees, his arms around her waist and his head resting on her belly. -I won't this time. Please trust me. I love you.

Hermione looked at his unruly hair, plastered to his face with rain and smiled softly as she felt a weight lift from her chest. A weight she hadn't known she'd had pressing on her. She slid to her own knees and took his face in her hands. -I trust you. I love you too.

Harry smiled, and eyes sparkled with happiness, and he produced the ring from his robe pocket. -Please keep it? A promise ring…

Hermione smiled back and offered her ring finger. -Always.

As soon as Harry slipped that ring on her finger, his smile became the same boyish smile Hermione had fallen in love so many years ago, and they sealed everything with one deep and absolute kiss.

============================

A/N: Yep, pure fluff. Love it! Hope you did too! Thanks for R&R-ing!

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->