Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Guardian by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Guardian

MisCard

Feeling emotionally and physically exhausted, Harry and Hermione made their way through the gates and walked up the path that led to the main doors of Hogwarts. Walking into the entry hall, Harry realized that they hadn't eaten anything since breakfast that morning and asked Hermione, "Do you want to go to the kitchen and get something to eat before we head up to the common room?"

"Sure," she replied offhandedly, deep in thought as she fingered the pendant that hung around her neck.

Harry watched her for a moment and then took hold of the twin pendant that hung around his neck, marveling at the fact that his dad had once worn it and that Hermione now had on the one his mum had worn. Walking up to the portrait at the entrance to the kitchens, Harry reached up and tickled the pear, causing the door to open. When Hermione saw what he did she asked, "Why did you do that?"

"It's the only way to get into the kitchens," he replied as he walked in. "Ron's older twin brothers, Fred and George, showed us how to do it." Looking around he spotted Dobby, the house elf he had freed from the Malfoy family in his second year, and called to him. When Dobby saw Harry he came rushing over to him, greeting him enthusiastically and offering his services excitedly. "It's nice to see you too Dobby," Harry said, smiling down at the happy elf. "I was just wondering if we could get something to eat since we sort of missed dinner tonight?"

"Oh, yes sir, Harry Potter sir," Dobby replied, rushing to gather together a bunch of food.

Hermoine watched, fascinated by how quickly he worked, and asked, "Friend of yours?"

"Yes actually," Harry replied, smiling at her. "Dobby is a house elf that used to belong to the Malfoy family, and making a very long story short, I helped to free him in my second year. Now he works here in the kitchens, and unlike other house elves, he gets paid for his services."

"That's wonderful," Hermione said. Then seeing how the other house elves were frowning at Dobby's behavior and giving Harry not-so-nice looks she asked, "Isn't it?"

"To Dobby it is, but to the rest of them, it goes against their nature," Harry explained. "They're here to serve, and they don't believe that they should get any pay or special treatment for what they do...it's just what is expected of them and what Dobby does casts shame on them, or at least that's what they think."

"Oh," Hermione said, trying to take it all in. "It seems complicated," she said. "But at least Dobby seems happy with the way things are."

"He's very happy, and very grateful for what I did," Harry replied, laughing as Dobby proved his point by walking up with a huge tray piled high with various foods and drink. "Dobby, could you send that up to the Head's common room for me?"

"Yes sir," Dobby replied, and with a snap of his fingers, the food disappeared. "Can Dobby do anything else for Harry Potter and Harry Potter's friend, sir?"

"No thank you, Dobby," Harry replied. Feeling bad about not visiting him more often, Harry said, "Why don't you come visit me tomorrow? I have some socks I think you might like."

"Thank you, Harry Potter," Dobby said, beaming up at him with adoration shining in his eyes.

As she and Harry walked out of the kitchen, Hermione turned to him smirking and asked, "He thinks the world of you and you're going to give him socks?"

"Yeah...that's part of that long story I said I'd tell you later," Harry replied, bumping shoulders with her as they both laughed. He had felt so light ever since seeing his mum, and he couldn't remember the last time he had felt so happy. Reaching over to take Hermione's hand in his he said, "Let's go up to my room and eat...I'm starving."

~*~

As they made their way up to the Head Boy and Girl quarters, Harry and Hermione were stopped by Ron (who was swaying back and forth as he waited for the portrait to open) as they passed by the entrance to the Gryffindor common room. " 'arry! Her...Her...Miny! Where the bloody hell have you two been?"

They both looked at him, able to smell the firewhiskey on his breath and Harry asked, "Ron, have you been drinking?"

Ron laughed and replied, "I'm right pissed mate, along with most of the other sixth and seventh year Gryffindors. It's Seamus's birthday today, and you know how the Irish are about their alcohol."

Hermione put a hand over her mouth to hide her smile as Harry looked at her and said, "Maybe we should check in on this little party? I mean, I am Head Boy and I really don't want another lecture from McGonagall about taking my responsibilities seriously."

"Sure," she replied, never having been to any party before in her life and unaware of the fact that they allowed them in the common rooms at Hogwarts.

As Harry took her hand again, which he had dropped when they had run into Ron, his friend looked down at their joined hands and asked, "What's this all about then?"

"Just...never mind Ron," Harry replied, pushing his friend in the direction of the door, immediately having to reach out to steady him afterwards. Shaking his head at just how inebriated his friend was, Harry followed him into the common room, his hand still holding tight to Hermione's. What they saw when they walked in made both of them stop abruptly and stare at the chaos around them.

Even though Ron had said only the sixth and seventh years were getting pissed, Harry noticed a few fourth and fifth years staggering around as well, singing the school song as loudly as possible and slurring almost every word of it. As he was taking in the couples in the corners who were snogging (was that Neville snogging Lavender?) Ron had stumbled up next to them, shoving drinks into their hands, causing the alcohol to spill onto their fingers. As Hermione shook off the drops of Firewhiskey, Ron followed Harry's stare and started laughing so hard that he doubled over. "Oh mate, I can't wait to take the mickey out of them for this tomorrow!" he wheezed, standing up again and slapping Harry on the back so hard he spilled even more of the Firewhiskey out of his cup.

"I doubt you'll even remember this tomorrow," Harry said, wondering if his mate had even heard him. When Ron staggered off after some sixth year blonde that was a friend of Ginny's he turned to Hermione and said, "He'd better hope no one tells Luna what he's been up to tonight."

"I won't be the one to tell her," Hermione said, watching as Harry downed what was left of the red liquid in his cup, "Some of the spells she's told me she knows sound pretty frightening. Besides, she's a Seer, he probably won't have to say a word, she'll know the minute she sees him tomorrow."

"Good point," Harry replied, smiling at her as he felt the Firewhiskey warm his insides.

Smiling back at him, Hermione drank her drink the same way he had, and the minute the Firewhiskey slid down her throat, her eyes started to water and she started to cough uncontrollably. 'Now I remember why I don't drink' she thought, gasping for air as Harry smacked her on the back. Finally able to breathe normally again she asked, "Why does everyone hit a person that's coughing on the back? It's doesn't help, it just hurts and makes it harder to stop!"

"Dunno," Harry replied, "I was just trying to be helpful and it was the first thing I thought to do."

As the two of them laughed at the silliness of it all, Seamus came staggering up to them and exclaimed, "Harry! Hermione! Good to see you!"

"Hey Seamus," Harry said, smiling at him. "Happy birthday!"

"Yeah, happy birthday Seamus," Hermione repeated and walked up to him to give him a hug. Just as she went to wrap her arms around his neck, he grabbed her waist, shifted her over a bit, and quickly put his lips on hers, shocking her. Harry, on the other hand, was standing behind them with his fists balled at his sides, trying very hard not to lunge at his housemate.

Finally prying her lips from his, Hermione shoved him away from her and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. Glaring at him she said, "Don't you ever do that again, or so help me you'll wake up the next morning a woman!"

Seamus watched as she pushed her way past him and turning to Harry he asked, "What's with her? I was just havin' a little fun, I mean, it's my birthday."

"Sod off, Seamus," Harry growled, following her across the common room. Just as he was about to catch up to her, Ginny appeared in front of him with a wicked little smile on her face and he mumbled, "Oh, bloody hell. What now?"

"Hi Harry," she practically purred, placing her hand on his chest possessively. "I'm so glad you're here, I was worried about you yesterday after the Quidditch match, and no one knew what had happened to you. Are you okay?"

"Well, I'm here now, and as you can see, I'm perfectly fine. Hermione took very good care of me," he replied tiredly as he removed her hand from his chest.

"I'm sure she did," she grumbled jealously. When he tried to walk past her she grabbed his arm and asked, "Where are you going? It's a party, aren't you going to stay and have some fun with me?" When he just glared at her she said, "You know, if you're not up for a big crowd, we could go back to your room and have some fun by ourselves..."

"What the hell are you on about?" he asked, shaking her hand off of his arm.

"Don't be daft," she replied, sidling up to him so that her body was practically flush against his. "Don't tell me you don't remember all those snogging sessions we had last year...I know you wanted me Harry, and you still do."

"You're mental, and your embarrassing yourself," he spat, pushing her away. "Why don't you go sober up and find someone else to torture?"

"Why? So you can go running to that bushy haired slag and make a fool out of yourself by fawning all over her?" she spat, anger flaring in her blue eyes. "There's nothing special about her, you git! You'll be sorry you chose her instead of me."

Barely hanging onto his temper, Harry grabbed Ginny by the upper arms and glaring into her eyes he spat, "Shut up and sober up before you say something you'll dearly regret." Letting go of her suddenly, he looked at her with disgust in his eyes and said, "You're not half the witch she is, and you never will be. You're just a little girl who's mad because she didn't get her way."

Ginny glared at him, her mouth opening and closing soundlessly, so angry that she didn't know what to say or do next. When he turned his back on her and started to make his way to where Hermione was standing, talking to Parvati, she started yelling any insult she could think of at him. Ignoring her, he walked up next to Hermione and put his hand on her back, leaving a very irate Ginny Weasley behind.

When Parvati walked away to try to pry Lavender off of Neville, Hermione turned to him and said, "It doesn't look like Ginny's very happy with you."

Harry chanced a glance in the direction she was looking and saw that Ginny was sitting on the sofa, sulking and throwing him angry glances any chance she could. "She'll get over it," he said, turning so that he was looking directly at her. Gently placing his hands on her upper arms, he gave her a smile that made her heart skip a beat and asked, "Ready to finally eat dinner?"

"Um-yeah...sure," she forced out, her mind conjuring up pictures of situations she had no right thinking about.

Taking her hand, Harry led her out of the Gryffindor common room. As they walked away, neither of them noticed how Seamus and Ginny watched them leave, each wearing identical looks of jealousy.

~*~

Harry walked up to the portrait and said the password, leading Hermione by the hand into the Head's common room. Looking around, Harry didn't see their food anywhere and said, "I'll be right back." Letting go of her hand, he ran up the stairs that led to his room and walked inside. Poking his head back out the door, he looked down at Hermoine and asked, "You wouldn't mind eating in my room, would you? Seems Dobby misunderstood where I meant for him to send our food."

"Sure," Hermione replied, slowly ascending the stairs up to his room. She remembered the last time she had been in there and her body flushed with warmth at the thought. Taking a deep breath as she reached the top, she walked into Harry's room and gasped at the sight before her. Dobby hadn't just sent the food up, he had set it up on a table, with candles floating above them casting a very dreamy glow about the room. It was such a romantic setting that Hermione's heart rate soared, and she was torn between wanting to stay to see what would happen and turning to flee before things between them went too far. Taking the decision out of her hands, Harry took her hand and led her over to the table. Stopping next to one of the chairs, he let go of her hand and pulled the chair out for her. As she sat he pushed the chair closer to the table, and when he walked around to his side, he let his hand caress the back of her neck, sending chills down her spine.

As they settled in and started eating, they both enjoyed a comfortable silence as they savored the meal Dobby had made. Hermione couldn't remember the last time she'd eaten a proper meal, and when her food was gone she wiped her mouth with her napkin and sighed, happily full. "That was wonderful," she said, smiling at him across the table.

"Dobby always takes good care of me," he replied, smiling back. Once he had taken his last bite, their plates disappeared with a faint 'pop' and in their place sat two smaller plates, each with a huge slice of chocolate cake on them.

"I don't think I can eat another bite," Hermione said, eyeing the delicious looking cake. Getting a little of the frosting on her fingertip, she tasted it and moaned at the rich chocolate flavor. As she withdrew her finger from her mouth, she felt Harry staring and looked up. He was staring at her finger, and then his eyes moved to her lips, watching as her tongue darted out to wet them. She didn't know what to make of the look in his eyes, or the funny feeling she suddenly had in her stomach, so she just sat there watching him as he watched her.

He had been ready to enjoy his dessert when it had appeared, until he noticed Hermione using her finger to take a taste of the frosting on her cake. The moment he saw her tongue curve around her finger to lick the frosting off, he forgot all about the cake in front of him and found himself thinking of an entirely different kind of dessert. And when she closed her eyes as she tasted the frosting and a low moan of appreciation escaped her, he had to draw on his willpower so he didn't dash around the table, take her in his arms and snog her senseless. As she looked up and they stared at one another, something in him gave way and the next thing he knew, he was kneeling on the floor next to her chair.

"Harry, wha...?"

She never got to finish her question, because his lips crashed down on hers in a frenzied kiss, and when his tongue explored her mouth he tasted the chocolate as well and moaned. Getting swept away by his fervor, she reached out and buried her hands in his hair, relishing the way it felt as her hands slid through it. As the kiss deepened, Harry wrapped his arms around her waist and held her tightly to him, feeling that she still wasn't close enough. Getting to his feet rather clumsily since he kept his arms wrapped around her, he lifted her out of the chair and carried her over to his bed, making sure to lay her down on it as gently as he could.

When she felt her back hit the bed, she looked up into Harry's eyes as he hovered above her and she was instantly lost. He had no more of an idea of what they were doing than she did, just that he wanted to be with her in the same way she wanted him. Bending down once more, he kissed her hungrily, his hands roaming over her body at such a frenzied pace that her skin tingled in the wake of his touch. His mouth moved from her lips down to her throat, kissing and sucking along her jaw bone, down to the hollow of her throat. She closed her eyes as an intense heat erupted in her lower stomach, spreading to between her legs, and brought her hands up to bury them in his hair again. She could feel his hands slipping underneath her shirt as he continued his ministrations on her throat, and when his hands reached her bra-covered breasts, cupping them, she brought her hands up to still them as she opened her eyes.

He had stopped and she found him staring down at her, confusion in his eyes as he studied her face. "Harry...." she whispered, "What are we doing?"

"I uh-I thought we were..." he started, slowly trying to pull away.

Hermione kept her hands on his, where they lay on her chest, and she quietly said, "Please don't pull away. I-I just got a little scared...things were going so quickly..."

"I'm sorry," he whispered, laying his forehead down on her stomach, his breathing slowing a bit. "I just..."

Removing her hands from his, she stroked his hair affectionately, brushing his sweaty bangs back from his head and said, "Don't be sorry, I was enjoying it too." When he looked up, his chin now resting where his forehead had been, wearing a small smile she gently traced his scar with her finger and quietly added, "I'm just not ready for things to go that far."

Closing his eyes as her light touch sent tingles through the scar that had until now only caused him pain, he sighed and said, "I'm not either. I just got a little caught up and then things started to go rather quickly."

"I noticed," she replied with a smirk that caused him to smile. "What a weekend it's been, huh?"

"It has been a little crazy," he said, moving off of her. As she scooted up the bed so that she was laying on his pillow, he moved to lay next to her and added, "But then everything's been crazy since I met you."

They both laughed, laying face-to-face on Harry's pillow, full and relieved that things weren't awkward between them after what had just happened. Getting serious all of a sudden, she looked at him with a hint of doubt in her eyes and asked, "It's a good kind of crazy though, right?"

"The best kind there is," he said, reaching out to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. She smiled at him then, the kind of smile that portrayed happiness and sadness at the same time, and he wondered what there was for her to be sad about. Putting his hand around her waist, he scooted closer to her on the bed and as he got comfortable she felt her eyelids droop, the days events finally catching up to her. She felt him kiss her forehead as her eyes closed and she fingered the pendant around her neck, thinking of Lily and James. The last thought she had before drifting off to sleep was that she planned to do whatever it was going to take to save his life when the time came. She swore not to let Lily's sacrifice be in vain, even if it meant sacrificing herself for him in the end.