Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Guardian by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Guardian

MisCard


~A/N> Thanks again for the great response on the last chapter :) I hope you enjoy this one as well, and as always thanks for reading!!

Harry had been right the night before in thinking that he wouldn't get much sleep. His thoughts were full of a certain bushy haired brunette and when he did fall into a restless sleep, all he dreamed about was her and the kiss they had shared. Each time he woke up, feeling as if his chest were on fire, and then it would disappear quickly. Finally, at six Saturday morning, he gave up and got out of bed. Fully enjoying the privacy of his own bathroom, he took the longest shower of his life, letting the hot water run over his knotted back muscles. When he finally got out and got dressed for the day, he made his way down to the Great Hall for breakfast, only to find Ron already there. Surprising him more than the fact that his best mate was actually up this early was the fact that Luna Lovegood, a blond haired Ravenclaw that had fancied Ron for a long time now, was sitting next to him at the Gryffindor table. The two were talking quietly about something when he walked up and said, "Good morning, Ron. Hello Luna."

"Hi Harry," Luna replied airily, smiling at him.

"Hey mate," Ron answered before practically shoving another piece of bacon into his mouth. After chewing for a few seconds, but with his mouth still full, he asked, "You look like hell, didn't you sleep last night?"

"Not really," Harry replied shortly. Giving all his attention to filling his plate with food, he looked up when he heard what he knew to be Hermione's laugh and saw her walking in with her arm linked with Seamus'.

"Bloody hell!" Ron exclaimed, causing Harry to look away from the pair, only to see that the pitcher of pumpkin juice that had been on the table between them had cracked. As pumpkin juice started running down the table and toward Ron and Harry, Luna quickly pulled out her wand and said, "Repairo. Scourgify."

Watching as the newly repaired pitcher magically refilled itself, Harry could feel his cheeks burning from embarrassment. "What the bloody hell was that?" Ron whispered, staring at him.

Not looking at his best friend Harry mumbled, "I don't know. I'd better go, I need to meet with Susan and Headmistress McGonagall about today's trip."

Ron and Luna watched their friend walk quickly out of the hall, not noticing how Hermione's eyes followed him as he passed by her and they looked at each other, sharing a significant look.

"Good morning," Hermione said, sitting down across from Ron where Harry had just been.

"Morning," Ron replied. When Luna nudged him in the side he almost choked as he quickly swallowed the food that was in his mouth and said, "Hermione, this is Luna Lovegood, my um-girlfriend."

"Nice to meet you Hermione," Luna said, smiling at the uncomfortable way Ron had introduced her. The couple thing was new to both of them, so she couldn't be mad at him for his stumble.

"Nice to meet you too, Luna," Hermoine replied warmly. Looking to Ron she said, "I was going to say hello to Harry but he seemed like he was in a rush to leave."

"He has to meet up with Susan and Headmistress McGonagall about the trip to Hogsmeade today," Luna replied for him since he had just shoveled another forkful of food into his mouth. "He looked really tired, he must have been up late last night doing rounds," she added, trying not to smile as Hermione choked on the pumpkin juice she was drinking. While Hermione wiped her mouth with her napkin she looked at Luna and their gazes locked; Hermione sensed immediately that Luna had the gift of sight and she looked away quickly. "You look tired as well," Luna stated. "Have you been sleeping alright?"

"As best as can be expected after all that's happened," Hermione replied, trying to keep her voice light. Picking up a piece of toast, she stood up and while looking down at Seamus she asked, "Ready to go line up for the carriages? Firenze told me all about the Hogsmeade visit transportation and it sounds like fun."

"Sure," Seamus replied, taking one last bite of his breakfast. Watching as the pair made their way out of the hall as well, Ron looked to Luna and said, "We're not very popular eating companions today, are we?"

~*~

Harry walked down from the Headmistress office with Susan to find the entry hall full of anxious students, all of them seemingly talking at once. He remembered his first trip to Hogsmeade and how excited he had been; now it just made him yearn for the days when everything seemed much simpler. Looking over the group, he spotted Firenze talking to Hermione alone off to the side of the group. Their heads were close together, seemingly deep in discussion about something serious, judging by the looks on their faces. When Firenze looked up and caught his eye, he motioned for Harry to join the two of them. Sighing, Harry slowly made his way over to them and stopped next to Hermione, looking only at the Centaur.

"Hello, Mister Potter," Firenze greeted formally.

"Hello, Firenze," Harry replied, sounding a bit impatient. "Was there something you needed me for?"

"He...um-rather, we wanted you over here to tell you something," Hermione answered quietly.

"And what would that be?" he asked, smiling and waving back at some little blonde third year that ran by giggling and talking frantically to her friends.

"That..." Hermione answered, angrily grabbing his upper arm and turning him so that he would look at her, "would be the fact that we both feel you need to be careful in Hogsmeade today. Make sure you're never alone and keep an eye out for strange occurances. Actually, it might be better if you came along with Seamus and I..."

"By damned, you say," Harry said through gritted teeth. Turning toward Firenze he said, "No disrespect Firenze." Then turning back on her, he looked her right in the eyes and said, "I will not be some third wheel on your little date just because for some reason you think I may be in danger today." Laughing bitterly he said, "I've been in danger, looking over my shoulder everywhere I go, for the past seven years. If you're that uncomfortable being with Seamus by yourself, then maybe you should ask Ron and Luna to double with you. It seems that love springs eternal at Hogwarts in the fall." Staring her down with his green eyes blazing now, he whispered, "If you were so concerned about my safety today, you would have said yes to my invitation last night and blown Finnigan off today."

Firenze had warned her that he would not take their warning well, but she never expected the jealousy, confusion, and loathing that she picked up on in his voice. And the waves of magic that were rolling off of him at the moment were enough to make her nauseous and her head pound. Closing her eyes briefly, she was glad when Firenze said, "Mr. Potter, I suggest you reign in your anger and your magic before you cause a magical mishap. Not to mention you're giving Miss Granger a terrible headache."

"Let Seamus make it all better," Harry replied, abrubtly turning away from them. He hated that he was acting like such a jealous git, but for some reason he couldn't let go of the anger and resentment he felt everytime he thought about her being with him.

Before he could take two steps, Hermione reached out quickly to grab his wrist, stopping him. When he turned but didn't look at her, she looked down to hide the tears she felt that were starting to burn her eyes as she slipped something into his hand and closed his fingers over it. "No matter how upset and angry with me you are right now, please promise me that if anything happens today you'll try to find me or tell me about it later." When he stayed silent she took a step closer to him, leaning in so close that he realized she smelled like wildflowers, and whispered, "Please, Harry. Don't be mad at me...deep down I think you know that I'd rather be going with you today." And with that she turned and walked quickly away from him, walking up to Seamus and following him out the door to the awaiting carriages.

Opening his hand, Harry looked down and saw a tiny sealed bottle of clear liquid resting on his palm, the liquid having tiny crystal moons floating in it. "If for any reason you need help today," Firenze stated quietly from beside him, "just hold that in your hand tightly and say, 'animula'. Say it repeatedly until someone comes to help you." When the students started filing out of the entrance hall, Firenze looked at Harry and said, "The stars predict that all is not well Harry Potter. You must be careful today." And with that he turned around and walked away.

"This is turning out to be a bloody fine day already," Harry mumbled to himself sarcastically as he stared at the bottle in his hand. Putting it into the pocket of the trousers he wore, he ran to catch up with Susan and mentally started preparing himself for a very long day.

~*~

Lavender Brown, a girl that was in the same year as Hermione and Seamus, had stuck to Seamus's side all morning, interrupting him every time he tried to talk to Hermione. Even though he seemed very irritated by it, Hermione could have cared less at that moment. From the minute they had stepped out of the carriages, she knew that Firenze's predictions of looming Evil were spot on and that something was not right in the town of Hogsmeade. Almost every adult she saw had a grey or brown aura around them (which was not a good sign), and instead of the usual glow that almost everyone else seemed to have, these auras seemed to roll off of the person's body like smoke. Seeing the Post Office that Firenze had told her about, Hermione turned to Seamus and said, "Excuse me for just a moment. I have a letter I need to send out."

"Okay, I'll wait here for you," Seamus replied, throwing a nasty look Lavender's way as she continued to talk about everything and nothing.

"It's okay, you can go on ahead. I'll meet you at the Three Broomsticks when I'm finished," Hermione said. She tried not to laugh as Lavender started to drag him away before she had finished the sentence. For all she was concerned, Lavender could have him. She had more important things to tend to. Walking over to the Wizarding World's version of a Post Office, Hermione walked into the small building and made her way to the counter, looking in awe at all the owls that were inside waiting for their next job. When a short, sweet faced older witch walked up and asked if she could help her, she said, "I need to send a message to Hogwarts as quickly as possible."

"I have an owl that can get it there for you in one minute," the Witch replied with a friendly smile.

"That sounds great," Hermoine said, reaching into her pocket for the note, addressed to Professor Firenze, that she had written before she had left her room that morning. It was the contingency plan she and Firenze had come up with the night before. The note simply said, "It is as we thought it would be." Handing the roll of parchment to the woman, she handed over the one galleon and three sickles to pay for it (Seamus had been kind enough to familiarize her with Gringott's and how to get her money exchanged) and watched as the parchment was attached securly to a very sleek screech owl who immediately set out on his job. Watching as he disappeared out the top of the open roof, Hermione thanked the woman for her help and made her way back outside into the crisp Autumn air. When a sudden movement caught her eye, she turned just in time to see a black shadowy figure coming quickly toward her and when it passed right through her she fell to her knees, gasping for breath. Her body felt numb and she had flashes of such evil pass through her mind that she felt like she was going to be sick. Forcing herself to stand, Hermione turned around in a circle, looking for the thing that had just attacked her and fearing she knew its' destination.

Hearing his familiar voice made her stomach knot up suddenly as she looked across the road and saw Harry walking behind Ron and Luna, talking and laughing with them. Without thinking, Hermione ran across the street and up to Harry, grabbing hold of his arm with a vice-like grip. "Harry, we need to leave, now. We need to get back to the castle."

"Hermione?" Harry asked, noticing the fear that filled her eyes and showed in her expression. "What is it? What's wrong? Where's Seamus?"

Before she could respond, she saw the black shadow coming at them again and pushed Harry away, making the shadow pass through her again. This time it was much different...the stayed in her longer than the first one did and when it finally left her body blackness, evil, and pain that she hadn't felt the first time overtook her and caused fear to wash over her. This was all new and about ten times worse; she felt as if she couldn't breath, couldn't think, couldn't talk. This was not the same shadock that had passed through her the first time; this one was much, much stronger. Gathering her thoughts the best she could while panting and gasping through the pain, she started whispering, "Servo Animus," over and over again as Ron, Luna, and Harry all bent down to see if she was okay. Gasping for breath she looked at Harry, fighting off the darkness that was threatening to envelope her, and gasped, "The vial Harry. It will protect you from them. Hold onto it...._please_."

"Them, who?" he asked, looking around and then shrugged. Reaching into his pocket, Harry took out the bottle she had given him before leaving the castle and held fast to it, surprised as he felt an infusion of warmth suddenly flow through him. Looking down at her he started to ask, "Hermione, what...?"

"She can't hear you Harry, she's passed out," Luna interrupted as she cradled Hermione's head so that she wasn't laying on the cold hard ground, smoothing the hair away from her very pale face.

"What the hell is going on?" Ron asked with an anxious note to his voice, looking around as two 'pop's suddenly sounded nearby.

Remus Lupin and Headmistress McGonagall hurried quickly over to where they were gathered around Hermione and looking at the three of them said, "We have to get her back to the castle immediately. You too, Harry. Ron, you'll need to apparate Miss Lovegood back to the gates of the castle while I apparate with Hermione. Harry, you need to go, right now. Quickly."

Lupin and McGonagall watched as the three teens apparated away and looking at her, Remus said, "What is it Firenze and Miss Granger aren't telling us?"

"I'm not sure, but we will know as soon as we get back to the castle," McGonagall replied in a severe tone of voice. "Firenze has some explaining to do. Get her to my office as soon as Madam Pomfrey has examined her, and make sure that Firenze, as well as the three we just sent back, are there as well." With a nod of understanding, Remus apparated away as McGonagall hurriedly went to find Susan so that they could get the students back to the castle as quickly as possible.

~*~

When Hermione opened her eyes, she found herself in a familiar room that she couldn't quite place at first. Looking around, she saw Harry sitting next to where she lay on a sofa; Ron and Luna were sitting in chairs across from her, and she could hear two angry voices and one calm one coming from across the room. Remembering what happened, her hand shot out and grabbed Harry's as she asked, "Are you okay Harry? They didn't get to you, did they?"

Harry looked at her with a very confused look on his face and then McGonagall, Firenze, and Remus all came into view, all of them settled into the Headmistresses office, surrounded by the former Headmaster's portraits. "I haven't explained anything to anyone yet Miss Granger," Firenze said quietly. "I thought that might be best left to you."

Looking from one face to the next, her gaze finally landing on Harry, she sighed and struggled to sit up. Her body hurt everywhere, like she had taken a physical beating, and she winced as her head throbbed at the movement. She was surprised when Harry moved so that he was kneeling in front of her, propping pillows up behind her back so that she could sit up. "Thank you," she said quietly, giving him a slight smile. He didn't smile back or say anything, he just went back to the spot where he had been sitting before and waited quietly for her to explain.

Hermione tried to decide on where she should start, and looked at Firenze when he suggested, "Maybe you should start from the beginning?"

Nodding in agreement, she reached around to the back of her neck and unfastened a necklace that had been hidden underneath her shirt. On it hung what looked to be a notebook charm but when she took out her wand, pointed it at the charm and said, "Engorgio," the notebook expanded to it's full size. Looking from Harry to Ron and Luna, and then to the Headmistress and Remus she said, "This is the Duvall family notebook, or the Notebook of the Soul Guardians." She stopped short as another wave of pain washed over her and Firenze made his way over to her. Placing his hands gently on either side of her head, he started to whisper words that none of them could understand. Suddenly Hermione's body took on the now-familiar blue glow, this time staying contained to just her body, and when it faded away she sighed in relief.

"Bloody hell, what was that?" Ron asked, causing Luna to elbow him in the side for his language. Looking at Remus and Headmistress McGonagall he mumbled, "Sorry."

"That was Hermione healing herself," Harry replied before anyone else could.

"Your body just needed some encouragement to start the process this time," Firenze said when she looked up at him, confused. "Madam Pomfrey said that it may need a bit of help to start the process this time, other than a wand. Your body took quite a shock from all the evil that went through it. It seems the Shadock did some damage to your magical systems."

"Shadock?" Harry asked.

"Macigal systems? As in more than one?" McGonagall asked.

"You can see Shadock's?" Luna asked, her eyes seeming bigger than usual, but the dreamy look that usually resided in them was gone.

Hermione looked at Luna and asked, "You know what they are?"

"I've heard my father talk of them before. He owns The Quibbler, it's a newspaper for the magical world," Luna replied.

"Why don't you start at the beginning?" Firenze suggested again.

"Right," Hermione replied, looking up at him. Holding the Notebook against her chest, Hermione started out by telling them the story of how she had 'spoken' to her Grandmother at said Grandmother's funeral, how her father told her there was no way she could have seen someone that was dead, and how he had forbid her to ever speak of it again. She told them about seeing strange things as she got older, all about the night she found out that she was a Witch, and how her mum had also confessed that she was a Soul Guardian. She related the conversation they had, and how she had gone to her room to look through the notebook and try to sort out her feelings about everything she had learned. She told of the attack on her house that night and how Lucius Malfoy had killed her parents and had tried to kill her, all the while her eyes swimming with tears she would not let fall, and how thankfully a man named Moody had saved her. She described her trip to Grimmauld Place, her first impression of it, and was horrified when Harry told her the house actually belonged to him and that it had been willed to him by his now-deceased Godfather. With assurances from Harry that he felt the exact same way about the house, she went on to share her first lesson with Firenze and that's when she placed the Notebook on her lap. "While Firenze and I read through it, we discovered an entry on Shadocks," Hermione explained. "Mary Madeline Duvall was the first to see one and my Great Aunt Ancelin had described them as an evil being that is an incarnation of past evil spirits that walk the Earth unseen by all. They're supposedly a mix between a shadow demon and a bodach." Looking at Firenze, she said in a very serious tone of voice, "There was more than one today Firenze, and they both passed through me..."

When she trailed off, everyone in the room remained silent, and Hermione noticed that Ron put his arm around Luna when a shiver ran through her. "There is a head Shadock," Firenze stated in a thoughtful voice, getting everyone's attention. "His name is Damien, and from what is written in the notebook there is a possibility that he has joined forces with Vo-...You-Know-Who. He may have been one of them that you encountered today, especially with the effect the encounters had on you."

"What?" Harry asked in disbelief.

"We're not certain," Hermione added hastily. "Ancelin just sort of pieced the theory together from what she found out from her Charge, or the witch she was assigned to protect."

"So you're assigned a Charge? Are they always magical, like witches and wizards, or are Soul Guardians given Muggles as charges as well?" Luna asked, curious.

"I'm not sure," Hermione answered. "I do know that my Charge is magical though."

"Who is your charge?" Luna asked, her curiosity piqued to its' fullest now.

Looking at Firenze, Hermoine saw Firenze give a slight nod of his head. Sighing she looked at Luna and said, "My Charge is Harry." Turning toward him, she said, "I'm your Soul Guardian, Harry, and I'm so sorry that you had to find out this way."