Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Guardian by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Guardian

MisCard


~A/N> This chapter has taken much too long to write. Yes, it's shorter than the others, but the next chapter is all about the Ball and I have no idea how long it will be. Not too much fluffiness in this one, but there will be plenty in the next one :) Oh, and how could I forget?? Happy 27th Birthday Hermione!!


Hermione and Luna walked slowly to the front of the room and sat down. Firenze followed and stood before them, looking from Luna to Hermione. "You both had premonitions this morning, didn't you?"

"Yes," Hermione answered, her voice barely above a whisper. "And you've seen it too?" When he nodded slightly she said, "Can we change what we've seen?"

"Why would we be shown what's to come, if not to have the chance to change the tragedies we see?" he asked in return.

"Because the Fates can be cruel when they choose to be," Luna replied.

"Yes they can," Hermione agreed.

"But yet it is our decisions that direct our path in this life," Firenze stated. "Fate is merely chance that gives us choices to determine our path in life. It is only after we have made our choices that we fully understand our Destiny."

"So what we decide to do, because of what we've seen...that will effect future events?" Luna asked.

"Yes."

"And if we choose wrong, it could make things worse in the future, couldn't it?" Hermione asked, staring out the window at the drops of rain that slid down the glass. "I mean, if we choose to change what's going to happen, it could mean that we're condemning Harry to death later on? Possibly during the Final Battle when he has to face Voldemort?" She became quiet for a moment and then added, "Or I could change the events and unknowingly condemn myself to death."

"We don't even know that what we saw will happen," Luna said, looking from Firenze to Hermione."And if it does come to pass, we won't know what day it will be."

"All I can tell you is to go to Hogsmeade as planned today, and try not to dwell on it. You will drive yourselves mad if all you do is think on the things you saw," Firenze advised.

"I believe that's going to be easier said than done," Hermione said, standing up. "Is there anything special that I need to do?"

"No, I don't believe there is," Firenze replied. "Just make sure to keep an eye on Harry at all times. I know you are going with Mister Finnegan tonight, but if you can, keep Mister Potter close by."

"Seamus isn't going to be thrilled with that, but I truly don't care," Hermione stated truthfully. "It was my own stupidity that led me to accept his invitation, so I must go through with it, but I won't sacrifice Harry's safety because of it." As she and Luna got up and prepared to leave, Firenze walked up to them and said, "Remember Hermione, it is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Hermione stared at him for a moment before sighing. "I know, I will make my choices carefully." And with that, the two girls went to prepare for their trip to Hogsmeade.

~*~

"Ron, have you seen Hermione?"

"Hey Harry," Ron replied, smiling at his best mate as he came to stand next to him in Quality Quidditch Supplies. "She's with Luna, they're shopping for their dresses together." When Harry was quiet, Ron looked at him and asked, "Did you happen to notice that she and Luna are acting, I dunno, kind of withdrawn today?"

"No, I haven't talked to Hermione today," Harry replied. "What do you mean by withdrawn?"

"It's strange, really. Usually Luna is happy and outgoing, but today they both are very quiet and seem...preoccupied I guess would be the word I'd use. She and Seamus rode with Luna and I over here, and things just seemed very tense and uncomfortable." When Ron felt a sudden magical charge in the air, he looked over at Harry and saw that his jaw was clenched and his hands were fisted at his sides. "Harry, mate, you've got to get over it. She's going with Seamus, you're going with my sister, so why don't you just try to let things go for today and try to enjoy yourself tonight? Besides, I'm tired of hearing Ginny complaining about how you're not paying her any mind."

"I told you Ron, I shouldn't have asked her in the first place, it was a mistake," Harry explained for the third or fourth time, he really couldn't remember. He felt bad for treating Ginny the way he had, but he had explained to Ron what had happened and why he had asked her in the first place, and after losing his temper for a day or two he had gotten over it.

"Yeah, I understand why you're doing it, but obviously she doesn't," Ron replied, moving over to where the new broom models were on display. "What time is it?" he asked, distracted by the newest Nimbus 3000.

"It's almost three," Harry replied after checking his watch.

"I'm supposed to meet Luna at the Three Broomsticks at three, do you want to come with me?

"Why not?" Harry replied. "I don't have anything else to do."

The two of them made their way to meet Luna and when they walked in they found her sitting at a table with Hermione, the two of them bent close to one another, whispering and looking very serious. "See what I mean?" Ron asked, gesturing toward them. "This is not normal."

Harry walked over to the table and as he approached the two girls looked up. When Hermoine saw him she stuttered, "H-Harry. How are you?"

"I'm fine," he replied, confused by the nervous way she was acting. "How about you? All ready for tonight?"

"Tonight?" she replied distractedly. "Oh right, the Ball. Yes, Luna and I found lovely dresses to wear. Are you all set to go?"

"As ready as I can be," he replied, not missing the annoyed look Ron shot him. Ignoring him, he turned back to Hermione and covering her left hand with his right, he asked, "Hermione, is everything okay?"

What was that look? he wondered, as he watched Hermione look quickly over to Luna and then back at the Butterbeer that sat in front of her, untouched. "I'm fine," she replied, and he knew instantly that she was lying. She wouldn't look at him, and she had slid her hand away from his...not only that, but something inside of him just knew.

"Right then," he said, looking at Ron and mouthing, 'You're right'. "I guess I should be getting back, I told Susan I would take care of anything that comes up between now and when the Ball begins so that she can get ready. You know how girls need more time than we do."

Harry waited for the sharp retorts to his purposely used jibe at girls, but nothing came, only silence. Thoroughly confused and starting to worry, Harry said, "I'll see you later Ron. Bye Luna...Hermione."

He turned to make his way out of the Three Broomsticks when Hermione suddenly called out, "Harry, wait!" Harry stopped immediately and turned around to see her hurrying toward him. "Would it be okay if I ride back with you?"

"Sure," he replied, looking over her shoulder at where Ron was trying to get Luna to talk to him, but it seemed it was to no avail. Hoping that maybe Hermione would explain to him on their ride back to Hogwarts, he opened the door and motioned for her to go first, the two of them making their way toward the awaiting carriages.

~*~

After an almost silent carriage ride back to the castle, Harry was more uneasy and worried than he'd been in a long time. He knew that Hermione and Luna were concerned and upset about something, but it seemed that neither wanted to talk about it. After his tenth time of asking her if she was okay, he finally sighed and gave up, frustrated beyond comprehension.

Hearing his sigh, Hermione looked at him and then reached over to take hold of his hand. Looking into his eyes, she gathered her courage and said, "Please don't be angry with me. There is something upsetting me, it's just...I can't really talk about it. What I can tell you is that this morning, Luna and I both had a premonition of something that will be happening in the near future. I didn't want to say anything because what we saw isn't guaranteed to happen, and since it's something that took place months from now, I didn't want to ruin your night tonight."

"Yeah, I think I ruined the Ball enough for the both of us," Harry replied lightly, trying to keep her talking.

"Let's not start on that topic again, okay? We both messed things up, we just need to concentrate on getting through the night."

"You're going to save me a dance, right?"

"Of course, whether Seamus likes it or not."

He smiled at her then, and she actually smiled back while squeezing his hand. "Everything should be okay tonight Harry, so please don't be concerned about me, okay?"

"Alright," he replied. "But if anything does happen..."

"You'll be the first to know, I promise," she answered.

After that, Harry felt a little less uneasy and they finished their ride in companionable silence, their hands linked the entire way. When they pulled up to the front of the castle, they grudgingly let go of the other's hand and got out. Walking in together, they seperated with a knowing glance, and Hermione made her way up to her room to start getting ready while Harry made his way to his room to rest up for the night to come.

~*~

Hermione stood in her room about two hours later, staring at herself in her mirror, unmoving. She kept seeing flashes of the premonition she had, and she couldn't stop the images from coming again and again. Raising her fists up to her eyes, she suppressed the urge to scream and choked back a sob that had been threatening since she had returned from Hogsmeade with Harry. When a knock sounded at her dorm room door, she jumped in surprise and then got up to see who it was. When she opened it, she saw Luna standing on the other side, holding her dress and looking just as miserable as she felt.

"Hi Luna," she greeted, stepping aside so that her friend could come in. She stopped for a moment and realized that she had just thought of Luna as a friend; to everyone else it seemed natural to think of someone as a friend, but Hermione had not had many friends at all during her childhood. She smiled sadly, realizing how good it felt to consider Luna a friend, even if it were under such strange circumstances.

"Hello," Luna replied as she walked past her and made her way to the bed, where she laid her dress down. Turning toward her she asked, "So how did the ride back go with Harry?"

"He kept asking me what was wrong," Hermione answered. "I kept telling him it was nothing, but I finally ended up telling him that we'd had a premonition, but it wasn't anything to worry about. I don't think he believed me, but he finally dropped the subject." Smiling a smile that really didn't reach her eyes, she added, "He asked me to save a dance for him, and I told him that of course I would. Truthfully, I'd rather dance every dance with him, but we both made mistakes that we can't take back now."

"It might be best that you don't go together," Luna said quietly, looking away from her.

Hearing something in the tone of her voice, Hermione asked, "Why do you say that?"

"Because what if you get too close to Harry, and you find yourself in a position to choose between your life and his one day...what if your love for Harry makes you choose wrongly and it causes the end of the world?"

Hermione stood frozen in front of her mirror, Luna's words echoing in her mind. Would she make the wrong choice and doom the wizarding and muggle worlds to a lifetime of Evil and darkness? "If and when that time comes, I will have to go on what I feel is right. And I don't love Harry. I'm just very...fond of him is all."

"Right," Luna said sarcastically. "If Ronald notices how close the two of you seem, then it's love. I love him dearly, but he wouldn't recognize love unless it was right in front of him."

"Let's get ready," Hermione replied shortly, changing the topic while feeling very befuddled by their conversation. "The boys will be downstairs waiting for us soon."