Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Guardian by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Guardian

MisCard


~A/N> Thanks to everyone that has read and reviewed so far. Just a reminder though, alternate universe basically means that I'm going to use JKR's characters and try my hardest to keep them true to the way they are in the books, but they may not act the exact same way. I am borrowing her characters to tell my own story, so if you don't like those kind of stories please don't continue reading. Harry is not being egotistical, or acting OOC, it's just hard for him to immediately believe that a witch wouldn't know who he is after the way he has been revered for the last seven years. You'd probably be leery too if a strange witch came into your little circle of life (especially when you're Harry and really have very few people you can truly trust) and even though you don't trust her, you find yourself inexplicably drawn to her :) So basically, these are still JKR's characters, I'm just borrowing them to tell my own unique story that has to do with Soul Guardians, which I could see Hermione being with her courage and inner strengths, and the wonderful magical world of Harry Potter. I do love Harry, but Hermione is my favorite character and I am thrilled to be able to write a story where she is just as powerful as Harry. There are so many more surprises to come, I hope you'll stay with me for the rest of the story and enjoy the ride, it's going to be an interesting one. ~miscard~


"Unhand me!" Hermione practically growled, yanking her arm free from Harry's grasp. Unsteady still from the emotions and images that had run through her as she touched both Harry and Draco, she stumbled to the side a bit, only to be caught by Harry. This time his arms had wrapped around her waist since he had situated both of their bags on his shoulder and the feeling of his arms around her caused a sensory overload in her body and she passed out cold.

"Great," Harry muttered as he scooped her up into his arms and carried her the rest of the way, marveling in the way she felt in his arms. She seemed so light, so helpless, and the only thing he could think at that moment was that he suddenly wanted to protect her from all the bad things that had been happening to her lately. He knew the hell she was going through, having her parents killed by Voldemort and then having to fear for her own life. He'd lived that way for the past 7 years of his life and he wouldn't wish it on anyone, especially a pretty girl like Hermione. "What is it with me and girls?" he mumbled aloud to himself as he walked. "First Cho cries when I kiss her, then Ginny acts like I'm suddenly a new toy to play with and show off to everyone, and now when I finally meet a girl that could be..." Whoa Potter! Stop that train of thought right now. The last thing you or Hermione needs right now is to think like that.

Sighing in relief as he walked up to the Hospital Ward doors, he pushed through them and walked to meet Madam Pomfrey as she walked out of her office at the back of the ward. "Oh no, what's happened to her now?" she asked, concerned. Harry looked at the nurse, surprised at the niceness of her tone. If it were him being brought in she would have been lecturing him already, whether he was conscious or not.

Clearing his throat nervously, Harry looked at her and started to explain, "We were sitting in Professor Slughorn's class waiting for it to start when she had performed accidental magic and knocked our books off the table. When I went to pick them up from the floor I was confronted by Draco Malfoy." Ignoring the nurse's tut-tut of disapproval he said, "Hermione got between us, put a hand on each of our chests to stop us from fighting, and the next thing I knew she had fainted and fallen to the floor."

Making her way to one of the empty beds, Pomfrey motioned for Harry to lay Hermione down and she immediately started to wave her wand over her body in intricate patterns while muttering different spells. First concentrating on her head, the nurse made her way down Hermione's chest and suddenly a blue glow emitted from where Hermione's heart would be and surrounded the nurse and Harry both in its light. Stunned at first, he started to relax as he felt a gentle warmth start to run through his body and the most wonderful feeling of peace that he had ever felt. As quickly as it started, the glow faded and Hermione's eyes popped open as she sat up in the bed.

Looking around wide-eyed, her gaze landed on Madam Pomfrey first and she asked, "Where am I?"

"In the Hospital Ward," the nurse replied and Hermione groaned.

"Not again," she mumbled as she sank back onto the pillow. Catching a glimpse of Harry out of the corner of her eye she asked him, "What've I done now? Blown up the Professor? Made my own clothes disappear?"

He found himself actually picturing her last guess before mentally slapping himself so that he could answer her question. Reminding her how he went to get their books and Malfoy walking up to him, he explained, "That's when you decided to try and stop us from fighting and proceeded to faint."

Hermione felt embarrassed for a moment before it all came flooding back to her. "I remember," she whispered reverently. "The darkness, the uncertainty, a feeling of worthlessness, fear..." she trailed off as she started shaking again and wiping at her arms, as if trying to wipe dirt off of herself. "It made me feel so unclean. But then you..." she said, looking at Harry. "You're so full of love and longing, and it was almost as if there were two of you, one being of dark and one of light. A-And your soul...it's different. It's as if someone sacrificed themself and a part of them still resides inside of you, protecting you."

When she stopped talking you could have heard a particle of dust hit the floor. The silence was almost deafening, and when she tore her eyes away from Harry's she noticed that sometime during her little confession, Headmistress McGonagall had walked in and heard what she had said. She started to make her way to the nurse's' office with Pomfrey following closely behind her while Harry just stood where he was, staring at her in disbelief. And then it was there in his eyes...she could see the distrust settle in as he put the walls back up around his heart and mind. "You said you didn't know me, that you had never heard of me before," he accused in an angry tone. "And I was stupid enough to believe you."

"No, Harry, I swear I didn't know about you before..." she started, but before she could finish he turned and angrily stalked out of the ward.

"Why is this happening to me?" Hermione whispered aloud as her eyes swam with tears.

"Because it is your destiny," came an airy voice, startling her. Sitting before her on the bed was a boy who looked to be about her age, but he was translucent like a ghost. When she reached a shaky hand out to touch him, her fingers passed right though him and she gasped.

"Are you a ghost?" she asked.

"No," he replied. "I am Micah, and I'm your Guardian Angel."

"Guardian Angel?" she asked skeptically.

"Are you really doubting that I exist after everything you have witnessed the last few days?" he asked reasonably. When she stayed quiet he said, "We're usually not allowed to show ourselves to our charges like this, but yours is a special case. Since you are a Soul Guardian, a very powerful one whose charge is just as powerful, I've been given permission to speak to you. I'm pretty sure you know it already, but your life is in danger. A very powerful wizard that seeks immortality is out to destroy your charge, and now that he knows who you are and what you're supposed to do, he wants to destroy you as well."

"How can he know all about me when I don't know anything about myself?" she replied, getting angry. "I found out two days ago that I'm not who I thought I was...I don't even know what to think anymore. Am I normal? Will I ever be normal?" When Micah just sat there quietly listening to her rant she looked at him and asked, "And how does this evil wizard know who my charge is when I don't even know?"

"If you'll stop and look deep within your heart, you'll realize that you've already met the one you're supposed to protect," Micah replied calmly. He watched her brow furrow as she thought over all the new people she'd met the past few days and then as realization dawned on her pale face.

"You don't mean him?" she asked, looking at him uncertainly. "It can't be. I mean, all I've done is show him how incompetent I am. He's never going to believe that I'm supposed to protect him."

"He'll come to see in time just how powerful you are," Micah said assuredly. "But until then, I'm afraid that you are going to have to watch over him without letting him know you're here to protect him. Otherwise, he'll just push you further and further away, making your job much more difficult."

~*~

"I should have known," Harry said, walking at a fast pace out to the Quidditch pitch for their practice. "I can't believe I bought her innocent routine and that she didn't know who I was."

Ron, the team's Keeper, kept up easily with his angry best friend as he asked, "And what makes you so sure that she lied again?"

"The things she said in hospital after what happened in Potions," Harry replied angrily. "The things she said...if she really didn't know who I was, she wouldn't have known as much as she did."

"I don't know what to tell you mate," Ron said, clapping his friend on the shoulder. "Maybe some time up on your broom will make you feel better."

"I hope so," Harry replied, noting that his team was already on the field waiting for him to start practice, since he was the Captain. "Let's warm up a bit and run some drills," he ordered, mounting his broom and immediately taking off, flying as high as he could while still being able to watch the team. When he saw Ginny, one of his chasers, flying toward him he sighed loudly. "What do you want Ginny?"

"I wanted to know what's wrong with you," she replied, sounding a bit pouty. "First you embarass me this morning by dodging my kiss and now you're making sure to stay away from me."

"We're practicing," he said impatiently. "What do you suggest? That I just fly up to you and snog you senseless in front of everyone?"

His stomach turned as her eyes actually lit up at his suggestion. "I wouldn't mind," she practically purred, snapping the last hold he had on his patience.

"Look, there,'s nothing going on between you and I," he stated slowly, as if talking to a dimwit. "I may have fancied you a bit last year, but I don't anymore. So I'd appreciate it if you'd stop acting like a lovesick fangirl and get your arse down there to practice with the rest of the team."

At the look of hatred that was on her face, Harry was suddenly glad that he had a 'no wands at practice' rule, otherwise he probably would have been on the receiving end of one of her famous bat bogey hexes. Watching as she sped down to join the rest of the team, Harry released the snitch he had been holding in his hand. After giving it a bit of a head start he flew as fast as he could around the pitch for a while, trusting Ron to run the practice, trying to rid his mind of the brown haired, brown eyed girl that kept occupying his thoughts. It was stupid really, he had only met her that morning, but it somehow felt like he had known her all his life. And the things she had said in the Hospital Ward had affected him more than he was willing to let on. Shaking his head, he flew closer to the ground so that he was able to watch the team for a while. After giving out a few tips to a couple of his players, and staying the hell away from Ginny and her death glare, he declared that practice was over.

When Ron flew down and started walking next to him he asked, "So what'd you do to Ginny? She's in a right strop."

"I uh-I kinda told her that there's no way we're going to be a couple again, like last year," he replied slowly, concerned with how Ron would take the news.

"Well, I can't say I'm not disappointed, " Ron said. "But if you don't fancy her, I'd rather you not lead her on." Surprised by his friend's easy acceptance of the news he felt his gut tighten when he said, "One word of advice though mate...stay away from her for awhile if you know what's good for you. Otherwise you might wake up missing your er-bits, if ya know what I mean? She's got a temper, that one does."

After making his way to his room, Harry made his way to shower and stood under the steaming hot water a little longer than usual, thinking over the events of the day. Realizing that he had class work that needed to be done he got out, dried off, and dressed in his comfortable jeans and a t-shirt. Deciding to go to the common room with all the other Gryffindors instead of being alone in the Head's common room, he walked in to find Ron sitting next to Hermione on the couch, showing her how to do the levitating spell.

"It's just a swish and flick of the wand as you say, 'Wingardium Leviosa'," Ron explained, motioning toward a quill that sat on the floor in front of them.

Harry watched silently as Hermione tried out the simple spell and was amazed as the quill shot straight up into the air and started to dance around the room. "Erm, is that normal?" he heard Hermione ask quietly, watching the quill zoom around the room.

"No, not really," Ron replied, watching entranced. "I think I had to say that spell twice before I got it right."

"Three times actually," Harry answered, causing them both to look his way. As Hermione spotted him her quill dropped to the floor and she got up to retrieve it.

As she sat back down next to Ron and Harry sat next to her, sandwiching her in the middle, she turned to Harry and said, "Professor Slughorn said it would be alright for the two of us to make up our potions work tomorrow evening instead of tonight. He stopped me in the corridor after I was released from hospital."

She refused to look at him after saying the last part, too afraid that he would become angry with her again, and was surprised when he said, "That's actually great news because I have loads of class work to catch up on." When he noticed her shift a bit uncomfortably and try to hide something that was on her lap he looked down and saw the cover of the book she was trying to hide from him. "The Boy Who Lived: Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know and Then Some." he read, trying not to laugh along with Ron.

She could feel her cheeks burning with embarrassment and didn't dare look up at him as she mumbled, "I wasn't lying today when I said I really didn't know anything about you. Headmistress McGonagall gave me this book before I was discharged and said I'd find it interesting. I'm sorry I made you so uncomfortable today."

When she quickly stood up to make a hasty retreat, Harry reached out and took hold of her wrist to stop her. When his skin came in contact with hers, images started to flash through his mind of Lucius Malfoy and green jets of light and Mad Eye Moody...and then it was gone. Blinking his eyes rapidly, Harry looked her in the eyes and realized that she had yanked her wrist from his grasp and that's what stopped the flow of images. "What...? Hermione, was that what happened...?"

'Hermione Granger?'

"What?" Hermione asked aloud, looking around for whoever it was that had said her name.

Harry looked at her strangely and asked, "What, 'what'?"

"Someone just said my name, didn't you hear that?" she asked.

"No." When Harry looked to Ron, he shook his head and said, "I didn't hear anything."

'Hermione Granger. I am Firenze. Harry Potter will know who I am. Please ask him to show you to my classroom' Hermione closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose as pain shot through her head. "It's in my head."

"What?" both Ron and Harry asked at the same time.

Without answering, she looked at Harry with a tired look on her face and asked, "Do you know someone called Firenze?"

"Yes, he's the Divination teacher here. But how did you know his name?" he asked, studying her closely.

"He just called to me," she replied, causing both boys to look at her strangely, as if she had suddenly grown another head. "I don't have time to explain right now," she said, sighing, "He said that you knew who he was and that I was supposed to ask you to show me to his classroom."

Looking toward Ron, who just shrugged his shoulders, Harry got up and said, "I guess I'll show you to his classroom then."

Surprised that he hadn't asked more questions and had agreed so quickly, Hermione followed him out of the common room and started down the stairs. Slowing up some so that she could catch up with him, Harry looked at her and asked, "So what did you mean when you said he called to you?"

"I could hear him speaking to me in my head," she replied, expecting a skeptical response. When none came she looked at him and asked, "You believe me?"

"Firenze is the divination teacher," Harry explained. "And after some of the things you've said and done today, well, I guess I don't find it that hard to believe."

When they reached the ground floor, Harry led her down one of the corridors and stopped in front of the second door on the right. Noticing the look of reluctance on her face, Harry rapped lightly on the door and a deep male voice called, "Please enter."

Harry walked in first, taking in the relaxing classroom with it's grass covered floor and the tree in the corner that towered over most of the room. Hermione came in behind him, looking around the room in amazement, feeling immediately at peace.

"Harry Potter," Firenze said in greeting as he walked up to them, and then seeing Hermione, Harry watched in amazement as the centaur practically bowed down to her. Standing back up again he said, "Humble greetings, Hermione Granger. It is an honour to meet you."

"P-Pleasure to meet you too," Hermione replied, shocked. "You called for me?"

"Yes I did, by request of Headmistress McGonagall," he replied. "You are to have divination lessons with me tonight. She said she discussed it with you this afternoon?"

"Oh, that's right," Hermione said as she remembered their brief conversation. Too bad the headmistress hadn't mentioned that her teacher would be a centaur, maybe then she wouldn't have been so gobsmacked when she saw him.

"Please, come in and join me," Firenze said, smiling at her in a way that put her at ease. As Hermione silently followed after him, he stopped and turned to look at Harry. "I am afraid I must ask you to leave, Mr. Potter. Miss Granger's lessons are to be private lessons."

"Right, sorry," Harry apologized.

With a million thoughts running through his head, he made his way to the door, only to be stopped when Firenze asked, "Oh, and Mr. Potter? Would you please come back in two hours to escort Miss Granger back to Gryffindor Tower?"

Harry opened his mouth to answer when Hermione cut in, "It's alright, I can find my way back to the common room by myself."

"But it will be after curfew," Harry explained to her. "If you're caught in the corridors without a prefect, Susan or I escorting you, you'll get detention and house points taken away." Turning back to Firenze he replied, "I will be back in two hours."

Making his way out of the divination classroom, he started back up the stairs, wondering why McGonagall would set up private divination lessons. Hermione had just found out she was a witch three days ago, and now she was quickly being thrust into the magical world just like...well, just like he had been when he found out at the age of eleven that he was the boy-who-lived. Realizing that there must be much more to Hermione Granger than anyone wanted to admit, Harry made his way back to the common room, intent on finding out anything he could about their mysterious new classmate.