Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Battle Standard by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Battle Standard

jardyn39

The Battle Standard

by Jardyn39

Chapter 9 - Guilt

"Harry, please tell me what's wrong," pleaded Hermione for the third time. Ron had delivered her safely back to Grimmauld Place early that morning before going off to Fred and George's shop.

Harry was pleased to learn that Mrs Weasley had apparently managed to cure Hermione's cold completely.

"It's nothing, Hermione. I suppose I'm just worried what Moody is going to tell me," he replied. Although partly true, it was not, in fact, Harry's main concern.

He'd woken that morning only to find himself burdened with guilt.

Although thoroughly ashamed of his last thoughts before falling asleep the previous evening, he now knew from his reaction that he didn't really need to ask who the second Mrs Potter might have been.

"Um, Harry? What's up with Kreacher this morning?"

Harry laughed and said, "He's just having a joke at my expense, Hermione."

"Well, I'm glad you appear to enjoy the joke because he's certainly put a lot of effort into it."

Harry chuckled and nodded. He was also heartened to see his smile briefly returned by Hermione.

They were sitting at the breakfast table in the kitchen, although very little of the kitchen was actually visible just then. Every single item in the kitchen had a piece of string tied around it, and attached to the string were large brown card labels. On one side, Kreacher had written a clear description of the item in question. On the other side, Kreacher had helpfully given hints as to the location of sundry other objects that Harry might have forgotten as well.

Harry was sure Kreacher hadn't missed a thing, although he was rather glad Kreacher had restricted himself to just labelling the kitchen. He wondered how much time the elf had spent. Every vegetable in the pantry was labelled, down to the smallest carrot.

What made the whole spectacle more ridiculous was the fact that the labels were all ridiculously big for the item it was attached to. The one on the dresser was almost three feet long. In addition, each had been charmed to flutter whenever anyone got close, competing with the other labels to get attention and get themselves read.

Harry picked up the toast rack, complete with the remaining three labelled slices of toast and offered them to Hermione. All three labels jumped towards her, pulling the slices of toast out of the rack and onto her plate.

Phryne the Phoenix chick gave an annoyed chirrup as the label she was nibbling rose out of her reach as well.

Harry returned the rack to its original position as soon as Hermione had taken her toast but by then Phryne had begun playing with her own label again.

"Are you sure you are up for this, Hermione?"

"Well, perhaps we might learn something useful."

"Yes, but you seemed so poorly last night."

"I'm perfectly well today, thank you, Harry."

"You sound like Mrs Longbottom," he observed with a smile. "Okay, but we come back if you've had enough. We don't have to do it all in one day."

Hermione nodded and tried to pull apart the jars of marmalade and strawberry jam because their labels were fighting.

*

Harry climbed the steps from the basement to find Hermione kneeling down and talking to Kreacher in a very concerned tone.

"Kreacher, what is it you are trying to tell me?"

Harry realised at once that some previous instruction, perhaps even his own order, was preventing Kreacher from talking properly to Hermione.

"Kreacher," he said as he approached. "You may tell Hermione anything you wish to and you may not tell her anything you don't wish to."

"Thanks, Harry," said Hermione with a smile.

"Has either of you seen my Firebolt?"

"It is under Master's bed," replied Kreacher. "Shall Kreacher fetch it for Master?"

"No thanks, Kreacher," said Harry as he dashed up the stairs. "I need to change anyway."

It was only when he got to the landing and he heard Hermione ask, "Now, Kreacher. What did you want to say to me?" that Harry became worried. Perhaps he had been a little too impulsive in granting Kreacher such a wide-ranging permission?

He immediately assured himself that unless Kreacher had learned to become a Legilimens there shouldn't be a problem.

"Kreacher thinks Miss Hermione looks terribly ugly in those robes!" said the elf, cackling loudly.

"Kreacher!" bellowed Harry from the top of the stairs. "What did I say about making rude remarks? Call me names if you want, but Hermione deserves to be treated with more respect. Besides-"

"It's alright, Harry," called Hermione, who didn't sound at all bothered or surprised by Kreacher's insult. "Kreacher, please tell me what you really wanted to say just now."

*

Harry and Hermione Apparated right at the very peak of the high Cumbrian hill and at once were almost blown off their feet by the strong gusts of wind.

Hermione ducked down and looked at her folded map of the region.

This was the first candidate location for the village.

"Well, Harry. Does anything look familiar?"

"No, not really. I think this hill is a bit higher than the one we flew over. We should check from the air to make sure, though."

"Well, go on then."

"Hermione," said Harry with a grin, "You agreed we should stick together. If I fly, so do you or we go back now."

"Harry, you know how much I hate flying."

"Yes, that's why I thought it would be a good idea to have a little practice. Just the two of us."

"You think I'm afraid, don't you?"

"Yes, but I'm more concerned that you won't be able to get yourself out of trouble if you need to."

"I can fly, remember?"

"So fly with me now," he suggested gently, and his Firebolt instantly rose up ready to be mounted.

Hermione gave a groan and stuffed the map back into her pocket.

"No dives and stay out of the clouds," she ordered before climbing onto the broom.

"Well, shift up then," he said with a grin. Hermione had pushed herself to the back of the broom, clearly expecting him to fly from the front.

"How do you expect to fly properly from behind me?"

"You said you could fly, Hermione. I'll just be a passenger this time."

Harry got on behind her and wrapped his arms tight around her middle, expecting a fast take-off. It was easy to hang onto a speeding broom when you were in control, but both he and Ron had fallen off at various times when they were the passengers.

Of course, they were invariably doing something stupid at the time.

They took off at a sedate speed and flew around the hill at a height barely above the long grass.

"Well?"

"Um, I can't really tell from this low. How about climbing a little higher?"

"Harry, you can see perfectly well from here. If this isn't the right place, we should move onto the next one."

"Okay, Hermione. I'm sure this isn't it."

Hermione landed gently and began to dismount.

"Hang on, Hermione," said Harry, fumbling with his pack and bringing out his invisibility cloak.

"What do you need that for?"

"I thought we could fly to the next location. It's only a few miles from here and if we wear my cloak we won't risk being seen."

"Harry, it's miles away! What if we get lost?"

"Well, I remembered to fit that broom compass you gave me. See?"

"There must be at least three Counties between here and the next one," she continued doubtfully. They had agreed that although they believed the village was in Cumbria, their search area should extend beyond the modern county borders.

"Hermione, I was hoping we could, er, fly a little quicker than we did just now. In fact," he continued cautiously, "I was hoping we could pretend some Death Eaters were after us."

"Harry, this is just silly."

"Yes, Hermione, but we only brought the one broom. Otherwise I'd be chasing you and firing spells for you to avoid. By the way, that's exactly what we'll be doing on Saturday. Ron and the others are all up for it, but I wondered if you'd prefer to have a practise beforehand."

"Do we really have to do this?"

"Not if you don't want to, no," he said gently.

"Harry, we both know I'll never fly as recklessly as you."

Harry just grinned at her.

"How about you fly us part of the way?" she suggested. "Maybe then you'll get it out of your system."

Harry shook his head and said, "Hermione, whenever we've flown together before all you ever do is shut your eyes and scream."

They laughed and Hermione said, "Well, it seemed the thing to do."

"Come on, let's at least try."

Hermione rolled her eyes but climbed back onto the broom in front of him.

Just then they heard shouts coming from their left and both turned.

Without thinking, Harry reached forward around Hermione and grabbed the Firebolt. In an instant they were in the air and diving out of sight behind a rocky outcrop several feet below.

It was only then that Harry realised there was no actual threat to themselves.

Two children were running up the path towards their position, apparently intent upon racing each other to the peak of the hill. Two small dots, which Harry took to be their parents, could be seen far below.

"Sorry, Hermione," he said as soon as they slowed.

"I don't think they saw us."

"You okay?" he asked with concern.

"Of course, Harry. Why?"

"Well, you didn't scream as usual. You had me worried."

This remark earned him a dig from her elbow.

Harry laughed and said, "Actually, we appear to be pointing in the right direction. How about we carry on?"

"Shouldn't we put the cloak on first?"

Harry released both hands and hoisted the cloak over them both, leaving just each end of the broom partly visible. Talking a fist of the cloth in both hands, he again wrapped both arms around Hermione.

"Ready?"

"Go!"

They dived down, following the dropping ground level.

"When we get to that barn ahead, direct the Firebolt upwards and urge it to accelerate!" directed Harry.

If Hermione had any doubts, she didn't express them. Instead she accelerated upwards towards the low clouds.

*

The second possible location for the village was a coastal town. Harry knew at once it wasn't the one and they decided not to stop.

Harry managed to persuade Hermione to fly out to sea a short way so they could circle a slow moving tanker heading for the main port a few miles away.

She was now flying faster but still hesitated before making turns or approaching obstacles on the ground. Hermione also disliked making abrupt mid-air changes in course, but he decided not to push her too much this soon.

"Hermione?" he shouted as they sped back towards the beach. "What do you think that tower is? We've been past a couple already!"

"Yes, Harry. I think they are old lookout towers. Do you want to investigate?"

"No, but how about flying around them with a tight turn?"

"Never give up, will you?"

Harry laughed and yelled, "I'll give up when you give me a scare!"

Hermione's first tight turn around the closest tower almost had them both off. Harry took control just in time.

"You have to lean into the bend. Make the Firebolt do all the work. See?"

He flew the broom around the tower again to show her, travelling much closer and at twice their previous speed.

"Let's go on to the next one so you can have a good run at it!"

Hermione's next turn was much better and her turn at the third tower was as good as Harry could have done.

"That's more like it!" shouted Harry.

"Which direction, Harry?" Hermione yelled back, accelerating fast.

"Slightly to our right, but watch out for those power lines!"

Hermione made a slight course correction but Harry was a little concerned that she hadn't changed altitude yet.

With the high voltage power lines fast approaching, he decided that either she wasn't aware of the danger or wanted to give him a little scare of her own.

Harry released an arm and reached up to squeeze her shoulder. If it had been Ron, he'd have punched his back to get his attention, but he was afraid of distracting her too much.

"What?"

"Power lines!"

Hermione immediately began to pull up but Harry shouted, "No! Dive under!"

Feeling Hermione hesitate, possibly the worst thing to do given the speed they were travelling, Harry reached around and directed the Firebolt under the lines with a safe clearance. He continued on to a small clump of trees and landed them safely in the shadows.

Harry reached out and just held her close. She was shaking but not daring to breathe yet and he could feel her heart thumbing through his chest.

"We're safe, Hermione. It's okay."

"I didn't see them," she said shakily. "I could have killed you."

"No, Hermione. Those cables are spaced quite wide apart. We probably could have flown right through them."

"I didn't see."

"That's because it's easy to get a kind of tunnel vision when you fly that fast," he said gently. "I've done it myself. You see what's on the horizon but forget the near obstructions."

Hermione nodded and twisted a little to face him. They both extended their legs and the Firebolt lowered them gently the last few feet to the soft ground.

"I'm sorry, Hermione. I should have reacted sooner. I think wearing the cloak gives a false impression about how fast we were going."

"I'm going to have nightmares about this, you know?"

"Me too," he replied with a grin, "except I'll be worried you'll always fly faster than me. I think you almost broke the sound barrier back there!"

Hermione snorted and said, "I'd like to change over now."

"We can go back if you want?"

"No, Harry. I'm fine."

Harry didn't argue. He hopped off the back and climbed on again at the front before arranging the invisibility cloak over them both.

Hermione snaked her arms around him and held on tight as they took off again.

*

Harry slowed and shouted, "There are some people flying kites up ahead, Hermione. I think we should skirt around them, just in case."

"Okay!"

Harry turned and dived in one natural fluid movement before climbing out of the dive in a new direction. Hermione gasped and redoubled her grip.

"Do you really have to do that?"

"I'm sorry, Hermione," he shouted with a laugh. "Hey! Look over there!"

Harry put on a burst of speed. He wasn't sure, but from this direction the profile of one of the hills ahead looked familiar.

"This way isn't towards any of our candidates!" shouted Hermione.

"It looks similar, though. I think we should check it out while we are here."

He knew Hermione thought he just wanted to perform another fast turn; especially as he lined himself up nicely with the centre of the picturesque valley below.

"Oh dear, I may just have to start screaming again."

"No, Hermione. You can open your eyes," he assured her. "See that lower hill over there? I'm sure that was the hill from which Christopher showed me where the camps were."

"Let's go and look then!"

They sped towards the hill, but Harry felt Hermione thump him on the back. He pulled away at once and headed back towards the larger hill behind them.

"Did you see it?"

"A kind of shimmering at the bottom of the valley?"

"Yes! I'm sure it has some kind of shield. Can you land at the top of the hill so we can get a better look?"

"There is a lookout on the lower hill," observed Harry.

"Really?"

"Yes, I could see the camouflage netting as we flew over. We should be careful and check out the higher hill before landing."

Harry made two slower passes before finally selecting a landing position.

They observed the shimmering area for some minutes. It looked a little like heat haze, except the day was actually rather cool for the time of year.

"What do you think?"

"Is that where the village was, Harry?"

"Not really, but it is close. I remember it being closer to the smaller hill. I also remember these two hills but I'm sure the ones on the other side were much, much smaller. There is clearly a valley down there that I don't remember being that big. The river looks different too."

"I'm wondering if, at some point in the future, these hills were relocated or somehow duplicated at the same time the village was relocated."

"Is that even possible?"

"In theory, yes. Mind you, I've never read about anything this large being relocated. I wonder how it was done?"

"What about the shimmering?"

"Oh, that's much simpler. It looks like an illusion charm. The village isn't actually shielded or invisible, but we must have passed a charmed line that makes us believe we can't see the village."

"By why is it shimmering then?"

"Perhaps we were too high for the charm to be fully effective," she suggested.

"Perhaps," he agreed slowly. "Actually, is that likely? I mean, won't they be expecting wizards to travel on broomsticks?"

"This was supposed to be an abandoned Muggle village."

"You think our timeline may be different?"

"Well, yes."

"Okay. Do we go down there?"

"How confident are we that we can get through any more wizard protections? Perhaps we could try. I suspect the initial wards will just turn us back the way we came anyway."

"Well, we'd better travel in on foot. I don't fancy being knocked unconscious in mid-air."

Hermione pulled out a scrap of paper and wrote a quick note.

"What is that for?"

"The most common form of ward would affect our memories. This is simply to remind us where we came from and where we wanted to go when we set out."

"Good idea."

They flew down the hill and landed on the other side of a line of trees before they set off on foot.

"We should do more of this," said Harry, taking hold of her hand as they walked.

"Mm," agreed Hermione, although she hardly seemed to relax at first.

He chided himself for scaring her like that.

Harry worked hard not to mention the power lines for fear of upsetting her further but discovered, in his attempts to engage her in conversation, that he was quite uncomfortable expressing his own feelings.

Part of him wanted desperately to explain everything to Hermione. How he felt obliged to harden his attitudes and allow the line between right and wrong to become a little more blurred. His conscience seemed to be less bothered the deeper he tried to bury his emotional reactions. Each time it became easier, but he hadn't expected his emotions not to be there when he called to them.

He knew it was usually Hermione who dragged his admissions out of him, but now she didn't seem to need to.

Harry wondered if she already knew, as she so often did in matters concerning himself, without being told.

He wanted to hear her tell him everything would be alright; that even if he forgot how to feel, she wouldn't.

A small part of him worried that she might not say that at all, and at this yet another uncomfortable feeling got pushed deeper inside.

After over an hour of walking, Hermione suddenly stopped and pulled out her note.

"Harry, according to my note we are travelling in completely the wrong direction."

Harry blinked and looked around. The moment he recognised the hill behind them he laughed. They must have been affected by the wards without even realising it. He guessed they had been walking in completely the opposite direction for a good half-hour.

"I think we should go and come back when we've had a better idea about how to get in there," he suggested.