Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Battle Standard by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Battle Standard

jardyn39

The Battle Standard

by Jardyn39

Chapter 15 - Paranoia

Harry flew back towards London, using almost any group of lights as an excuse to take a wide detour. By the time he got to the London suburbs, he realised he might as well fly directly to Moody's house in the countryside.

All through the night, Harry worried what exactly Hermione would say to him when she finally decided to talk.

He knew she was unhappy; and he felt sure he was the reason she was unhappy.

It occurred to him that since they had been together, they had never quarrelled. They had both teased each other, but never argued.

Even when they had become annoyed with each other, they had made up quickly.

Harry had to acknowledge that of those times, it was mostly Harry that had been the annoying one. He now very much regretted all those times when he had pestered Hermione when she clearly wanted to continue her researches.

He also knew she increasingly missed Hogwarts and the studies that meant so much to her.

Hermione had given those studies up just for him.

Perhaps she was now regretting that decision.

Perhaps she felt Harry no longer deserved such a sacrifice.

He was sure he didn't.

How long had it been since he had seriously pursued the remaining Horcruxes? Weeks, he told himself. No, more like months, he admitted with disgust.

It was just the same routine as usual and he was sure Hermione must have realised he was dragging his feet.

Any excuse not to return to Godric's Hollow.

Even Dumbledore had expected him to have visited there long before now.

When Moody opened the door out into his back garden, he found a cold and miserable Harry sitting at his garden table.

"Since you're early you might as well make breakfast."

Harry nodded and went inside, the warmth of the kitchen merely adding to his already dark mood.

*

That night Harry went to bed feeling at once thoroughly ashamed of his behaviour towards Moody and Ollivander, whilst also feeling quite unable to apologise. This later feeling was quite easy to explain, he knew. If he apologised he'd have to explain. Then he'd have to admit that the one thing he had been sure of might no longer be there.

Harry turned over, his agitation preventing sleep from coming despite the fact that he hadn't slept at all the previous night and had been worked hard all day.

He thumped his pillow again, wishing it were something that could fight back.

Harry decided he would get up and make himself a drink a glass of water.

He attempted to throw off the blankets from his cot, but like everything else that conspired to annoy him that day, they refused to allow his legs to free themselves.

Kicking wildly, Harry fell out of the cot and landed on grass.

Harry blinked in the bright sunlight but quickly got to his feet.

The hundreds of wizards now pointing and laughing at him did not improve his mood one bit.

"Ahem," said Dumbledore, in an amused tone. "In your admirable haste to join us, you appear to have forgotten to dress properly this morning."

The laughter grew greater at these words.

Harry drew his wand out of his pyjama top pocket and flicked it. The broadsword beside him flew straight past him towards Dumbledore.

There was a crack and the sword fell in two as Harry turned.

"I'll wait while you dress yourself, Harry," said Dumbledore waving a hand down at Harry's feet. "I've no wish for you to suffer any unwarranted embarrassment on my behalf."

Harry looked down. Before him were just the shield and swords.

"Perhaps you'd like some help?"

Dumbledore flicked his wand and instantly the shield leapt up and banged Harry hard in the back.

He angrily threw the shield off again and advanced on Dumbledore.

They circled each other once.

"I grow tired of this dance, Harry. Allow me the honour of permitting you to defend yourself."

Dumbledore's hex and Harry's shield seemed to be conjured in the same instant. The hex flew off high into the air.

Harry didn't wait, firing volley after volley of the strongest hexes he knew. Dumbledore defended himself easily until Harry felt his anger grow.

The Kemmynadow's dark magic surged up inside him.

The difference was that now Harry, rather than feeling an urge to suppress the terrible magic, actually wanted nothing better than to release the dark magic against Dumbledore.

His wand glowed warm as the first barrage of spells flew towards Dumbledore, who fell back a few paces.

Harry's burnt arm flashed with pain, provoking yet another stream of the darkest hexes. He had no idea he'd learnt so much from the Kemmynadow.

Dumbledore fought back against the torrent of spells, his face now at last showing signs of anger.

Then Harry saw it.

In just an instant, Dumbledore's familiar features took on a terrible appearance. It was something about the eyes and how his mouth distorted.

There was fear there. Fear where usually there was supreme confidence.

This was an expression of fear Harry had seen only once before.

That was a night when he'd faced another wizard, in a graveyard several hundred miles away.

Harry knew then.

He wasn't fighting Dumbledore anymore. He wasn't even fighting Voldemort, whose features he now recognised.

He was fighting himself.

Dumbledore's face was no longer showing fear. He was drawing himself up, and his features seemed younger somehow.

They each raised their wands to each other and Harry felt Dumbledore's power radiate out towards him.

They fired at the same time, and Harry became monetarily blinded as their spells crossed.

*

"Merlin's beard!" yelled Moody at the top of his voice. "We're under attack!"

"Calm down," said Ollivander.

"Get down, will you? Merlin, I hope Potter managed to get away!"

"Alastor, we are not under attack."

"No? Why did almost an entire outside wall, that floor and quite a bit of the roof decide to collapse then?"

"The wall was blown out, not in."

"So?"

"So, I suspect we'll find Harry somewhere under the rubble. That is, if you'd care to help. Of course if you'd rather fight an imaginary enemy outside, I'd quite understand."

"Blown out, you say?"

"Indeed."

"Hello?" called Harry.

"Potter? You okay?"

"My legs are trapped, but yes, I think I'm alright."

"Don't move," ordered Ollivander. "We'll come to you."

"Can't I just Dissapparate?"

"No," advised Moody. "You sound pretty shaky, Harry. You might leave more than you intended behind. Just be patient a moment longer."

Moody and Ollivander managed to get downstairs and began levitating the rubble off. While they worked, Ollivander explained that the most likely explanation was that the walls had fallen outwards. The floor and Harry, having nothing to support them, fell into the ground floor. The roof, and quite a bit of masonry, then fell on top.

"Damn Muggle construction techniques," complained Moody. "You can't beat magic built housing, even if it is twice the price. Why did the walls fall out, anyway?"

"I'm afraid that was my fault," admitted Harry, coughing from all the dust. "I had another bad dream."

"You fought Dumbledore again?"

"Yes, well, kind of," replied Harry.

"The boy's obviously concussed," concluded Moody, levitating off the last three ceiling joists and a large panel of lath and plaster to reveal Harry lying awkwardly underneath.

Harry tried to push himself up but Ollivander said, "Wait a moment while we check your legs for breaks."

Moody climbed awkwardly over and ordered, "Move your toes, Harry."

Harry did as he was told and Moody said, "Good. Nothing broken, although you've a few fairly deep cuts."

They got Harry out and helped him outside to a garden seat.

"My wand?" he said as soon as he remembered.

"In your top pocket," said Ollivander with a smile, wrapping a rather dusty travelling cloak around him.

Moody came over and handed Harry a large glass of water.

"I think we should get away as soon as possible," said Moody seriously. "The Floo connection was broken when the chimney fell. Fortunately, the brooms were outside."

Harry looked back at the devastation he'd caused and said, "I'm so sorry."

"Tell us about the dream," suggested Ollivander.

Harry took another deep drink and began to tell them what had happened. He was surprised how well he remembered.

"So," said Ollivander slowly when Harry had finished. "Dumbledore in the dream wasn't actually him."

"No. At first I thought it was really Voldemort. Then I realised, the whole time I was really fighting myself."

"Well, you can be pretty proud of the damage you managed to cause," said Moody brightly.

"I'm feeling pretty ashamed, not proud, to be honest. I'm sorry; and not just for all this. I behaved terribly towards you both yesterday."

"We could see you were upset," agreed Moody with a wry smile.

"I'm afraid I suggested we antagonise you further, rather than just leaving you alone yesterday," admitted Ollivander. "Well, I believe I'll be off before a nosey neighbour decides to report a gas explosion. Harry, I trust I can rely upon your discretion?"

"Of course, but won't you reconsider?"

Ollivander smiled but shook his head, no.

"You've made a good start, Harry, but this is only the beginning. Alastor, please make sure that all of Caedo's equipment goes with Harry. He will have further need of it."

Ollivander Disapparated away with a pop!

Harry sighed and asked, "Are you insured for the building damage?"

"Insured? No, of course not."

"I'll pay for any repairs, but nothing will be able to replace the more sentimental things."

"Harry, I'm not exactly a sentimental person at the best of times."

"This was your home!" exclaimed Harry. Then he realised Moody was probably in shock at losing so many possessions.

"Harry, this isn't my home."

"What?"

"No, I just borrowed it for a while."

"Well, it still needs to be repaired. I mean, this is hardly normal wear and tear, is it?"

"You'd hardly notice anything was amiss from the front of the house."

"Moody! Half the house has collapsed!"

There was a light bell ring that interrupted their argument.

"Damn. We've got company."

"Could it be the Gas Board already?"

"Too quick and I didn't hear a van."

"Hello?" came a voice from the front garden.

"Go and stall him!" ordered Moody.

Harry hurried over to the side gate and opened it.

"Harry! I was hoping you'd still be here," said Minister Scrimgeour. "Good grief, what has that mad old fool being making you do?"

"He's been training," barked Moody as he approached the gate.

"So I see."

"We've just about finished, actually. I was about to get Harry packed off back to Hogwarts. We'll need the protection of the grounds to finish the last stages."

"Excellent. I hope the facilities weren't too basic for you."

"No, this place has been ideal, actually. Harry and I are most appreciative."

"Not at all," said the Minister with a smile. "Was there a problem with the Floo network? I couldn't get a connection when I tried a moment ago."

"I had it disconnected for security," lied Moody. "You can never be too careful, even in a place as isolated as this."

"Well, you were right of course to take every precaution. Harry, I would like a word with you, if I may?"

"Um, sure," said Harry, opening the gate and walking through to the front.

"I'll just go and finish packing up the equipment," growled Moody before stomping off again.

"Harry, I've been receiving reports of a lot more Death Eater activity. He's up to something."

"Really? Have you any idea what?"

"The Aurors managed to catch a couple of low level sympathisers. They knew virtually nothing, of course, but Kingsley Shacklebolt is convinced he is about to go on the offensive."

"What's the target?"

"The obvious ones are either the Ministry in London or Hogwarts."

"Yes, I suppose that's true," agreed Harry.

"Kingsley thinks there is a third, more likely, target."

Harry looked up and said, "Miss Alice?"

"That's right. The Muggles won't tell us anything, so we don't know if they are making preparations or not."

"You'd like me to talk to them?"

"Yes. Find out what you can and offer our help."

"You think this will be serious, then?"

"I'm convinced of it. What's more, Kingsley has this mad theory that Miss Alice actually intends You-Know-Who to attack."

"Well, she's certainly planning something," agreed Harry. "Somehow I can't believe she's ready to defend against an all-out assault just yet, though."

Scrimgeour took hold of Harry's arm and said seriously, "There's something else, Harry."

"Go on."

Scrimgeour hesitated before speaking.

"I, er," he began. "Harry, this is going to sound a little paranoid," he finally admitted.

Harry smiled and said, "I've been around Mad-eye for a week. Believe me, nothing will sound like paranoia compared to his ravings."

Scrimgeour smiled weakly.

"Harry, I meant it when I said we would help. The thing is, I can't help wondering what will happen. I mean, what if she actually won?"

"You are afraid she'll seize power?"

"Frankly, yes."

"Well, I can tell you she has planned out a strategy for what will happen after Voldemort. She called it her end-game."

"Merlin!"

"I'm not about to let her take power, any more than I'd stand by and let Voldemort. Personally, I think Voldemort is by far the greater threat right now, though. I also think Miss Alice may have badly miscalculated this time, although I'm only guessing. She hasn't let me in on any of her plans yet. I think there's a reason for that too."

Scrimgeour frowned slightly, considering Harry.

"I know what you're thinking, Minister," said Harry quietly, but before he could elaborate, Moody came back dragging a large trunk with several racing brooms tied on top. The familiar roll of tied carpet was under one arm.

"Harry, we need to be off. Minerva said she'd open the wards for just us but we need to be quick."

He picked up a small rusting watering can and handed it to Harry. He mouthed, "Make a Portkey."

Harry nodded and whispered, "Portus!" as Scrimgeour went around them and opened the gate.

"Well, goodbye, Minister, and thank you," said Moody, shaking Scrimgeour's hand.

"Not at all. I'm just glad I could be of help. We generally let the place out as a holiday cottage," said Scrimgeour conversationally, now walking away from the gate.

Harry held out the Portkey and said, "Three."

"Can you hear sirens?"

"Two."

There was a horrible sound of more falling masonry towards the back of the house.

"Whatever is making that noise?"

"One."

"MOODY!"

*

"You're keeping something from me, Harry," said Miss Alice with a smile. "Don't you trust me anymore?"

Kreacher had presented him with Miss Alice's invitation for them to meet almost as soon as he and Moody arrived back at Hogwarts. They were currently sitting in a tent at a remote Auror camp, considered neutral ground, which was about to be relocated.

Moody had escorted him there and had strict instructions from Professor McGonagall to then return to Scrimgeour's ruin of a house to apologise and assist in the repairs.

"I'm beginning to question your judgement, not your trustworthiness," replied Harry. "I think you are in too much of a hurry."

"People's lives are at risk, Harry. The longer this goes on, the more lives will be lost."

"You've never been shy about sending people to their deaths before, have you?"

"This isn't the same."

"No," he agreed. "Those times you didn't have such a great motive."

Miss Alice frowned slightly.

"You will be in a perfect position to seize control once Voldemort is gone, won't you? You showed us all how easy it was for you to assume control of the Aurors. My guess is that the Ministry would soon fall into line too."

"That's very perceptive, Harry. Most imaginative."

"The only problem I can't quite see is how you will retain control in the longer term."

"Absolutely. I'd need to consolidate my position. After all, what if the Aurors decided to end their co-operation?"

"You'd need some kind of power base. A task force of some kind."

"Surely, a wizard army at the very least."

"So, do you have such an army?"

"It would have to be practically invisible, wouldn't it? I'd need to hide it from both Voldemort and the Ministry. That wouldn't be easy and I'd probably need to keep them hidden from the Muggle world too. How many hundred wizards and witches would I need to keep concealed?"

Harry shrugged and turned for the door.

"Harry?" said Miss Alice. "If I did have an army, don't you think I'd want you to lead it?"

"No, you'd want to retain control. That means controlling the leader. You'd have no trouble influencing me. Right now, though, I don't have the necessary military experience for that kind of role. You know I'd insist that Bear guide me, but I don't think he would co-operate if it meant compromising himself with me."

"Go on," she insisted with a smile.

"That's about as far as I've got, really."

Miss Alice strode over to him, grinning from ear to ear, and held both his arms.

"Oh, Harry! I didn't think you'd get it this quickly. You should see them!"

"Them?"

"Yes! My, Invisible Army, of course!"

"Are they located at Torvais?" asked Harry.

Miss Alice smiled before responding. She returned to sit again and Harry followed.

"Did you attempt to visit the camp?"

"No, I came away after only seeing the village."

"The sentries were under strict instruction to detain both you and Hermione. Unfortunately, you appear to have slipped away before the order came through. Hermione is fine, of course," she added quickly, seeing Harry's concerned look.

Harry sat back.

"How many have you got in this army, anyway?"

"Oh, enough to put up quite a fight. We're currently accelerating the training programme as more and more volunteers join up."

Harry frowned slightly at Miss Alice's evasion of his question.

"Scrimgeour told me the Ministry believes Voldemort is preparing to launch an offensive. They think you and presumably your army will be the target. He said they would be prepared to help."

"That's preposterous, Harry."

"Yes, I agree they don't have enough resources to protect themselves let alone you as well."

"Indeed."

"But he's probably right about Voldemort, isn't he?" pushed Harry.

"Yes, probably."

"Look if I found Torvais, then so can he. I even met Pansy Parkinson while I was there. Why on earth did you let her in? Or, did she work out how to break your wards as well?"

"She was invited into the Village, Harry, as have many I'm sure you would deem unsuitable."

Harry shook his head slowly.

"Harry? How did you know how to look for the village at all?"

"Through my vision of the future. Hermione and I compared the landscapes and histories. We short-listed about half-a-dozen places."

"I see."

"How quickly can you relocate?"

"That's quite impossible."

"The Aurors have to move camp every few days in order to evade Voldemort. Surely staying in one place is a very bad idea, especially since you no longer control who knows where that place is?"

"The camp has moderate natural protection, although I clearly hoped the location would remain secret for a while longer."

"Come off it!" exclaimed Harry. "Voldemort knows you now. He is bound to know you planned this weakness. You fully expect him to attack, don't you?"

Miss Alice smiled and said, "Perhaps."

"Voldemort isn't stupid. He may have underestimated you before, but you can't expect him to do the same thing again. You must assume he knows you are preparing a trap for him!"

"I have ensured that Voldemort receives all the right intelligence indicators. I agree there is always a risk that he won't act in accordance with our expectations, but that risk should be minimal. His own advisors will lay everything out."

"He doesn't trust anyone but himself."

"I prefer to take a less defeatist view, Harry."

"I want Hermione and her family out of there now," Harry said firmly. "When can I see Bear?"

"Why don't you return with me to the village? You can speak with John and inspect the camp together if you wish. I have nothing to hide from you. All I ask is that you respect our need for secrecy."

Harry nodded.

"When you leave, you may take the Grangers with you should they agree to leave."

"That sounds fair," agreed Harry, surprised by Miss Alice's invitation. "Thanks."

"Of course, you will have to assume full responsibility for their safety."

"I have no problem with that."