Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Battle Standard by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Battle Standard

jardyn39

The Battle Standard

by Jardyn39

Chapter 17 - Late for Tea

Careem nodded for Harry to follow Bateman down the corridor. Careem himself stayed behind at the entrance with the two sentries, presumably to discourage them from telling anyone of their investigations.

The brown quarry tiled floor was still wet from recent cleaning and the newly painted blockwork walls were sprayed with drying splashes of dirty water. Presumably whoever was doing the mopping was in a hurry. The air was heavy with a sickly mixture of disinfectant and new paint smells.

The corridor sloped down and Harry realised that they had only seen part of the building from above the ground.

They went through a pair of fire doors where the corridor widened.

Bateman paused again to listen. There were four door openings on each side of the corridor and a single high level window at the far end that must have been just above ground level.

They walked forward, passing the first set of doors but listening at the next.

Harry listened intently.

There was a radio playing somewhere within the building, but Harry thought he could here something else.

Bateman looked back at Harry before opening the door and nodded seeing wand ready.

The heavy door was much thicker than normal and the moment it was opened they heard the sound of quiet sobbing from inside.

"Please," begged the weak and emotional voice. "I can't tell you anything. I don't know anything."

Two voice activated voice recorders clicked on and again off as he spoke.

The two others in the room had not noticed the presence of Bateman and Harry at that point. One was sitting on a stool with his back to them, hunched over a chipboard. The other, who wore plastic overalls, stood across the room at a stainless steel sink.

The captive looked fearfully at Bateman just as the sitting interrogator looked up.

He turned at once and shouted, "Hey! You shouldn't be in here!"

The one at the sink turned and picked out a lethal looking stainless steel object from the bowl and held it out in front of him as the sitting man rose and began to withdraw a sidearm.

Harry stunned them both and the tape recorder reels continued to turn while they crashed loudly to the hard floor.

Harry was about to say, "Sorry," when Bateman indicated for him to keep quiet. He then crossed the room quickly and switched the recording machines off.

"Can't be too careful," he observed.

"This is Barlow," said Harry, stepping over and releasing the young man's shackles. He was too weak to get up, though.

"We spotted him as we approached the camp and left him unconscious under some camouflage netting."

Turning back to Barlow, Harry said, "I'm sorry this happened to you."

"How did you get captured?" asked Bateman.

"I got lost," replied Barlow. "I lost my map and my wand. When I woke and tried to sound the alarm, I must have gone in the wrong direction. A patrol caught me in the forest."

"Harry, his fingers have been broken and his knees have been smashed. Can you patch him up enough that we can get him out of here?"

"Sure," said Harry, "but there is something about this place that feels strange. My stunners just now were far weaker than they should have been."

"You can't do magic in the actual camp," offered Barlow as Harry worked. "None of us can, although it is just about possible on the outskirts."

"Why not?"

"I heard something about the underlying rocks."

"I'm going to search the other rooms," said Bateman, who had been tying up the two interrogators.

"How did you know my name?" asked Barlow.

Harry smiled and said, "I just assumed you were the one being talked about. We overheard a conversation in the camp. I'm Harry, by the way."

"Call me Thomas."

Harry helped Barlow to his feet and Bateman was back almost at once with Careem and the two sentries in tow.

The two sentries were pushed up against the far wall.

"Right," said Bateman. "It looks like this is the only interrogation room in use here. Is this the only facility here?"

"No," replied the one who had first spoken. "This is an overflow. Most of the questioning goes on elsewhere."

"How many?"

"We don't really know. Last week we were detailed to remove the bodies. Then there were about four a day."

"Are all of them terminated after questioning?"

"No, but some are questioned over a long period."

"Have any of your own men gone missing?" asked Careem.

"Yes, several patrols have not come back. We were told that if our patrols stray too far towards the camp we risk being reassigned punishment duties. We assumed that's what happened."

Silence fell around the room.

"Did you know," began Bateman slowly, "that you are risking life imprisonment? Even standing by and not intervening is conspiracy. No officer can enforce an illegal order, and there is no way you didn't know these practises are illegal."

The two sentries looked down at the floor.

"Now, as we're clearly outnumbered, I'm going to give you a choice. You can either side with those two," he said, pointing down at the two bound interrogators, "or us. Remember, I'm not promising you won't be punished, but you may just redeem yourselves in the eyes of a court-marshal."

The one who hadn't spoken at all yet said, "I'll side with you, Sergeant."

"Me too," added the other. "We didn't ask to get involved, you know? We were just afraid of what they'd do if we refused."

Bateman nodded and Careem returned their guns to them.

"Were you taken from 217 Brigade?"

"No, Sarge. These are borrowed jackets so we look like we belong with the other patrols."

"We're not allowed to mix, though."

Bateman nodded and asked, "So that's one good thing. If the lower raking officers had no knowledge, they can probably still be trusted."

Careem allowed himself a low groan and Harry realised then that Bateman had no intention of leaving without excising those responsible.

"So, what about our young friend here?"

"I had nothing to do with what's going on in that camp!" said Barlow urgently. "I volunteered to fight against You-Know-Who."

"Why were you spying on us?"

"Because they won't let me near the other side of the camp," replied Barlow at once, completely misunderstanding the question.

"You understand that you are at risk while you are here?" said Bateman seriously. "I need your assurance you won't do anything stupid and will do as we say."

"Okay," said Barlow.

Harry fished out Barlow's wand from his pocket and returned it to him.

"Right. You can start by making sure those two will be out cold for a while. Then we'll run through how we are going to get out of here."

*

Bateman introduced the two sentries as Gamble and Hepplewaite to Harry, saying that as they would probably die together escaping they might as well know each other's names.

He then directed Careem to go with Barlow, Gamble and Hepplewaite to the village. There they were to collect Hermione and her parents and then make their escape any way they could, but they were not to harm other civilians nor kill military personnel unless they were attacked with lethal force first.

Careem refused outright, having some idea what Bateman planned to do before he and Harry made their own escape.

They compromised by agreeing that Careem would lead the others to the village only after Bateman had, "made his presence felt."

Once more Careem and Harry followed Bateman up the short flight of steps and into the cabin. Harry noticed Careen quietly slip his small automatic machine gun off his shoulder and immediately withdrew his wand.

Bateman came to a halt just inside the door. Harry peered around him to see that the cabin was surprisingly big. There were three people present, looking over a map table. There was standing room only around three sides of the wide table.

"Wait outside, Sergeant," drawled the senior officer on the right without looking up. "We'll be with you in a minute."

Bateman just folded his massive arms.

"I do hope I won't have to repeat myself, Sergeant."

Careem stepped to Bateman's side and levelled his gun at the three.

Harry stepped to his other side and held up his wand, although he felt this was fairly pointless. Careem more than had the situation covered.

"You Special Forces people really do need taking down a peg or two," continued the officer calmly.

A wall telephone rang loudly and the nearest officer picked it up quickly. The receiver was at his ear before he realised that it might have been more sensible to just let it ring.

With a fearful look at Bateman, he listened for a moment before saying, "Yes. Yes, he's here."

There was an abrupt click as the connection was terminated and he replaced the handset.

The senior officer looked up at last, and was about to make another comment when he looked at Harry and asked, "Who on earth are you? I don't permit prisoners in my operations room."

"Sir," said Bateman firmly. "You are responsible for everything that goes on in this camp. I, and others, witnessed the illegal interrogation and torture of a prisoner. You also may be held responsible for a number of deaths amongst prisoners."

"So? Going to arrest me, Sergeant?"

"No, Sir. I'm probably going to kill you."

At this, one of the officers reached for his sidearm. Harry fired a stinging hex at his face at he fell back, screaming in agony. He then hit the officer who had answered the phone with a stunner and he fell heavily to the floor.

Harry quickly crossed over and past the narrow side next to the table to get a clear shot at the collapsed man. He then silenced him, now crying, "I'm blind. He's blinded me!"

Before the red flash had died away, Harry levelled his wand at the remaining officer's heart.

They heard thumps as someone rushed up the steps and into the cabin. Careem wheeled around and pointed his gun at his young Lieutenant.

"Careem?" he asked in alarm. The gun was lowered at once.

"Sir, these officers are suspected to have ordered the illegal interrogation of prisoners," said Bateman. "I'm afraid I need to ask you to take command."

"Um," said the Lieutenant nervously, as the remaining officer gave him a thunderous look.

"Lieutenant, disarm these people," he ordered.

Harry wondered if he would have to stun them both, but then the Lieutenant said, "I'm sorry, Sir. Sergeant Bateman isn't the only one to bring these matters to my attention. It is my regrettable duty-"

"Your career will be finished if you dare," began the officer venomously before Harry's stunner hit him.

The telephone rang again.

It seemed even louder when Harry was standing right next to it. He picked up the handset just to silence it.

He listened and was surprised to hear a voice he recognised.

"Oh, dear," said the Lieutenant shakily. Then he seemed to draw himself up and said, "Well, I suppose we should make the best of this. Sergeant, it might be prudent if you took Mr Potter here to safety. You may take Corporal Careem if you wish. My Sergeant is just outside and we will take these three into custody."

Harry replaced the handset and passed on the message.

"We're late for tea."

*

Harry and Bateman were greeted by a smiling Miss Alice as they boarded her train.

"I expect you could do with drink after shouting all day. Enjoy yourselves?" she asked with a grin, but then seemed to see that they were hardly in the mood for frivolity.

"Whatever is the matter? John?"

"How much did you know about what was going on?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Tell me about the prisoner interrogations," demanded Bateman. "Did you order them?"

"Yes. All volunteers have to be screened, you know that. Voldemort keeps sending us spies."

"How many were discovered to be spies?"

"Six for sure and another twelve possible or probable."

"What happened to them?"

"Well, three committed suicide. The remainder were transferred but remain in custody. Why?"

Bateman looked at her seriously.

"What interrogation techniques have you authorised?"

"Ah," she said, as if understanding his concerns. "I know you are sensitive about the treatment of prisoners," she said gently, "but sometimes it is necessary to use unpleasant techniques.

"The interrogators routinely use truth serums, sleep deprivation and extensive questioning at all hours. They may threaten physical violence and use deceptions to make the prisoners believe that torture is being carried out upon other prisoners."

"What else?"

"Um, I'm not too sure what you mean. I know that the instruments are often paraded before the prisoners for psychological effect."

"How many personnel have gone missing?"

"Missing? No-one has gone missing. Well, that I'm aware of."

"We were told that patrols who ventured too close to the camp disappeared," explained Harry.

"No. I did read a report about one patrol that got a little too curious. They were posted up on the hill as punishment, but that was a few weeks ago now."

She continued to look completely nonplussed between them.

"Please tell me what is really the matter?"

"Order the train to make ready for an immediate departure and we'll talk," said Bateman seriously.

"Um, of course," she replied, pulling a cord behind her. It was one of several housed in a brass recess.

Almost at once there was a bell ring.

"The train will be ready in ten minutes."

They went inside and sat down.

"We discovered some very disturbing things," began Bateman. "First of all, all of the defensive measures anticipate an attack from outside the main outer perimeter."

"Well, yes," agreed Miss Alice.

"The problem is we have an enemy that can Apparate and Portkey and whatever all over the place. Once they get behind the perimeter, there is no defence. The only way tactically to defend against such an enemy is to invite them in. You need to create kill boxes and traps for them to be forced into."

"Major Otterworthy set out the defences, John. He's very experienced and has indeed created your kill boxes. He has a separate force inside the camp that will attack from within."

"Are really sure who they will attack, though?" asked Harry pointedly. "The defenders or the attackers?"

Mary shook her head in consternation.

"Major Otterworthy will explain everything to your satisfaction, I'm sure."

"He's in custody," said Bateman flatly. "Together with his immediate staff officers."

"Oh, John. What have you done now?"

"I'm afraid I intervened when we discovered a boy from the camp being tortured. When we got there they'd only broken his fingers and smashed his legs. Harry patched him up so we could get out of there."

"His name is Barlow," said Harry. "Thomas Barlow. He's a wizard."

Miss Alice immediately got up and pulled open a varnished timber filing cabinet that looked just like the train décor.

"Barlow," she muttered, pulling out a thin file and opening it. "He came through screening five weeks ago. He's never had any associations that would indicate a connection with Voldemort."

"Um, he was the one being tortured," Harry reminded her. "They grabbed him after he got lost in the forest. He said those running the camp didn't trust him and wouldn't allow him in certain parts."

"What do you really know about what's going on in that camp?" asked Bateman.

"There has been nothing in the reports that indicate anything out of the ordinary. The wizards there cannot perform magic and they continue to be trained in conventional warfare by the Commanding Officer there."

"What animals do they keep there?" asked Harry.

"Animals?"

"There were several large, open cages. We wondered if they were for Werewolves, since we didn't see any dogs or anything."

"Cages?" repeated Miss Alice.

"Careem thought we found a shallow grave too. There was a strange smell around the place and the earth was freshly disturbed, but I didn't see any bodies."

"You could be mistaken about that."

"Yes," admitted Harry.

"Careem knows the smell of decaying human flesh," said Bateman darkly.

"We also saw a blood covered chair being cleaned out of general sight, but what disturbed me more was the person who brought the chair outside. I recognised him. He was one of the men who attacked Fred, George and me. He was associated with Ollivander."

"Name?"

"I've no idea," said Harry. "Ron might know from my description of him."

"Mm," said Miss Alice, frowning slightly.

"We also overheard a few things. Someone spoke about an irony, but was told off for saying it out loud. They were talking about the expected attack."

"Mary, what would be the greatest irony in this situation?" asked Bateman.

Just then there was a commotion out on the platform. A moment later, a panting messenger entered and immediately thrust a note into Bateman's hands.

Bateman read quickly and asked, "Does the track still go quite close to the top end of the village?"

"Yes, but we never use it because it passes through the camp."

"It was pretty dense forest around there," he mused, "I wonder if they bothered to pull up the tracks?"

"You've come from the village?" asked Miss Alice.

"Yes," the messenger managed to gasp.

"I need a runner to get an urgent message to Lieutenant Pembrooke," said Bateman.

"I'm fit," said the messenger at once.

"Good man," said Bateman. "I need a map of the area."

"Here," said Harry, bringing out Barlow's map.

"Okay, tell Pembrooke he's to withdraw all his men to Point Bravo. He must go in an orderly and quiet manner, and tell him not to bother disabling the guns. We'll pick him up at Bravo as soon as we can. If Bravo is over-run, he is to make for Echo."

The messenger saluted and ran off.

Bateman threw the note to Miss Alice and hurried for the door. As soon as he emerged onto the platform he was bellowing orders.

Harry watched as Mary unfolded and read the note.

"Goodness," she said shakily.

"What is it?" asked Harry.

"The message is from Careem. The Grangers refused to leave without the rest of the villagers too. There are over a hundred of them and Careem reports movement outside the village. He suspects the attack will come through the village. There should be outer patrols, but he thinks they have been over-run."

There were shouts and the sounds of people running. These became thunderous as the infantry solders boarded the carriages and began to set-up gun emplacements.

"Harry?" shouted Bateman from somewhere unseen.

Harry got up and asked, "Will you be okay?"

Miss Alice was now very pale, but she nodded shakily. "Go, Harry. I'll be fine."

Harry hurried off to find Bateman.