Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Battle Standard by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Battle Standard

jardyn39

The Battle Standard

by Jardyn39

Chapter 24 - The Black Door

Harry fired and an instant later an explosion rocked south London and a large section of the Embankment fell into the river.

-

Harry looked down into the amazed eyes of Miss Alice. It was a moment before they each began laughing at the same time.

"I don't know what was more incredible," she admitted. "Voldemort falling for that rubbish or you making it up in the first place!"

Harry quickly cut her bindings and helped her up as the others rushed over to them. They had Apparated up onto the far side of the Fort roof.

"You're not to do anything that stupid again," he said evenly, quiet enough for the others not to hear.

"I didn't ask to be kidnapped."

"It's what you intended to happen. Voldemort is too dangerous to play games with like that."

Their hasty argument was cut short as Bateman reached them first and grabbed them both in a massive hug.

"I was sure I'd lost you!"

Harry extricated himself as Ron managed to get Hermione over to join them. She looked in a terrible state.

"I'm sorry, Hermione," Harry began.

Ginny screamed as Voldemort Apparated onto the roof next to the parapet. His robes were torn and dusty. Clearly his escape from the bunker had been a little too close for comfort.

"Lord Voldemort always knows!" he shouted madly, levelling his wand at Miss Alice.

Bateman swung her behind him as Harry ran forward, firing a stream of hexes at Voldemort.

Voldemort turned and fired a barrage of curses back at Harry as he ran at him flat out but Harry's conjured shield was too strong.

"Avada," began Voldemort, but Harry thumped into him before he could complete the curse.

Hermione screamed as they both tumbled off the roof.

Harry fired again and again, but Voldemort had got away.

He felt a strange clarity at the moment and everything seemed to happen very slowly. Even the blustery wind from being so far up seemed to calm, as if stopping a moment to watch him plummet to earth.

Still falling, Harry wondered if he could also Disapparate away. These few seconds before he hit the ground seemed an inadequate period in which to learn a new skill like Disapparate while falling.

He twisted around, hoping to catch a glimpse of Hermione before the end. If not, then anything would be better than just watching the ground rushing towards him.

To his amazement, Hermione had also dived off the roof, only she had the foresight to have brought a broomstick.

In a dive Harry would have been proud of, she managed to catch up with him. Harry grabbed hold of the handle and Hermione urged the broom back up into the air just before he hit the ground.

*

Open Warfare Brings Two Defeats to You-Know-Who

Minster for Magic Rufus Scrimgeour announced two significant gains in the ongoing fight against You-Know-Who in a press conference held this evening, writes Rita Skeeter Special Correspondent. Several hundred of the Dark Lord's followers were killed or captured in a Muggle inspired military action last night. This was followed by a previously unknown Wizard fighting force engaging forces lead personally by You-Know-Who.

Casualty figures are not yet available but the Dark Lord's losses are believed to be significant. His feared Death Eaters left the field of combat in complete disarray leaving several hundred dead and dying, including several Giants.

Minister Scrimgeour expressed deepest sympathy for the friends and families of those killed fighting You-Know-Who and promised their sacrifice would not be in vain. It emerged that the Minister himself was also amongst those who had suffered a personal loss. His long time mentor and friend Louis Bellick, the noted military historian and retired Ministry Advisor on International Affairs was confirmed as being killed during the hostilities.

The Minister personally oversaw the Aurors while they protected Hogwarts and forcefully rejected criticism that he should have been where the fighting was.

Speculation continues as to the identities of the Non-Ministry Task Force leadership responsible for the recent victories. With the admission that Muggle Forces swung the balance of victory in the second engagement and the mounting evidence of direct Muggle intervention, pressure is increasing on the Minister to make a full statement.

In a separate development, rumours that several significant items were stolen from the temporarily abandoned Ministry in London were denied this evening. More on Pages …

*

Harry threw aside his copy of the Evening Prophet and sighed deeply. Most of them had come back to Grimmauld Place, but almost at once Hermione had been whisked away upstairs by Ginny and her mother with Luna following them interestedly.

Mary had insisted upon personally delivering a report on what had happened and the events that lead there. Bateman had accompanied her; clearly concerned that the shock of her brief capture might leave longer term consequences. Harry also suspected he wanted to hear first hand exactly what she hoped to achieve with her recent plans.

Whilst the Ministry may have declared two short term victories, Harry couldn't bring himself to see things like that. Now that he had time to think, the more he was certain that many lives had been lost through his own mistakes.

He could wait to finally have things out with Miss Alice. It was by no means clear whether she would be allowed to maintain her current level of authority, either. Harry also suspected that she may have over-stepped her mark this time.

What Harry was very much less patient about was Hermione. He knew full well that by not stopping and consulting her, it had been much easier for Miss Alice to manipulate him. Harry recognised that he was responsible for his own actions and decisions, but he knew Hermione's clear and rational thought processes were too valuable an asset to ignore.

More than anything, though, he missed Hermione herself. The sight of how upset she had looked haunted him. He had an anxious ache in his chest that just refused to go away.

Harry would have forced his way in to speak to Hermione properly, but since he seemed to feel the villain of the peace, he thought he'd do better to bide his time. If he was honest with himself, he wasn't entirely sure what he would say to her anyway.

Ron, meanwhile, was playing cards with Neville and Mr Granger. They had invited Harry to join them but he'd declined, feeling too agitated to concentrate.

"Hogwarts was crawling with Aurors and Ministry officials, Harry," said Ron.

"Good. I wasn't sure if Mad-Eye could keep them there."

"To be honest," said Neville, "we had the impression the officials were rather glad to be away from the fighting."

Harry frowned.

"Yeah," agreed Ron. "We wondered how many would stick around if You-Know-Who really had attacked."

"Maybe Hogwarts shouldn't rely on Ministry protection in the future," suggested Harry. "I wonder if Professor McGonagall would consider training up a local force to help out?"

"Well, she certainly wasn't too keen on the Ministry people who kept interrupting the lessons," added Neville.

Ron snorted and nodded as he placed a card down.

"Why were they disrupting the classes?" asked Harry.

"Well, they kept finding excuses because the corridors weren't safe."

"Safe?"

"You know, Hermione free."

"What are you talking about?"

"You know how she gets sometimes," said Ron absently. "She just went a bit berserk," he added before he suddenly realised Mr Granger was taking a keen interest in what he was saying about his daughter.

"That's not entirely fair," said Neville quickly. "Hermione was just concerned that you might be fighting for your lives while we were all safe up in Scotland. For a long time we had no idea where you were, of course. She gave up on the Ministry when Sergeant Bateman arrived. He and Mad-Eye agreed at once to come. They re-deployed the airborne forces before they even landed but the tanks came from a southern barracks apparently."

"How did you know where we were?" asked Harry.

"Kreacher went up to Hogwarts," said Mr Granger, still eyeing Ron.

"Oh."

They were quiet for a few moments.

Then Harry remembered that Neville had been interrupted from telling him something earlier.

"Neville, sorry I just remembered. Was there something you wanted to tell me earlier?"

Neville turned and began to say, "Well yes, Harry."

Just then, though, Ginny walked into the Living Room closely followed by Luna and Mrs Granger who were bringing along a rather reluctant Hermione. Harry found himself standing up and quite unable to look away from Hermione. She looked a little flushed and puffy eyed, but otherwise okay.

When Hermione was safely seated, Ginny turned and said, "Neville has an announcement to make."

Everyone looked at Neville who immediately went very red.

"No he doesn't," he said at once.

"Neville," said Ginny threateningly.

"It's private," he said bravely. "I mean, if Harry and Hermione want to tell you, that's fine but it really isn't for me to tell all of you. It wouldn't be right."

"Sorry?" said Harry, completely confused now.

"Neville, are you ever going to get around to telling Harry, though?" said Ginny, her arms crossed now.

"Nice try, Ginny," said Neville with a smile. "Of course, it may not be something just to tell. How did you know, anyway?"

"Your Gran and I have had plenty of time to discuss all sorts of things on our walks around the lake," Ginny said lightly. "She, like me, thinks you should just get on with it."

"You want to watch out, Neville," warned Ron with a smile. "Sounds like Ginny has decided your Gran should be her new role-model."

Ginny turned at once, ready to have a go at Ron. Neville was about to interrupt her before she got up a head of steam but Mrs Granger opened the door again and Hermione got up and left the room quietly.

Mrs Granger raised her eyebrows at Neville who still looked torn between stopping Ginny and Ron having a row or not. Finally he quietly got up from the table and followed Hermione out of the room. Harry saw his chance too and crossed the room to the open door. Luna sat down where Hermione had been and Mrs Granger closed the door after them.

Outside the room, they could hear the familiar sounds of Ginny shouting at Ron.

"She's missed him really," said Neville dryly.

"Let's go down to the kitchen," suggested Harry.

"Is your fireplace still connected to the Floo network?" asked Neville as soon as they got down to the basement.

"Yes, Neville," replied Harry.

"I was going to suggest we go to Gran's to talk, if that's okay?"

"Sure," said Harry. "Just let me tell Kreacher where we're going."

*

Harry and Hermione followed Neville, but were surprised to find they had emerged from a fireplace in a small gazebo in the garden.

They immediately withdrew their wands and looked around.

"Where is he?" asked Harry.

"Is this Mrs Longbottom's place?"

"Yes, I recognise the garden. There he is, talking to his Gran on the terrace," he said, pointing.

"I suppose we had better wait for him here then," said Hermione, sitting down.

Harry sat down next to her on the simple wooden bench. The moment he did so the gazebo floated off for a slow tour of the flowerbeds.

Harry desperately searched for the right words to begin with, but none came.

"These gardens look quite extensive," observed Hermione.

"They are. Mrs Longbottom said we'd need brooms if Neville had gone off to the large greenhouses."

Hermione smiled faintly, looking out at the views.

They drifted gently in the opposite direction from the route Mrs Longbottom had taken him and Harry waited until they gone a fair way before speaking, only Hermione beat him to it.

"You're almost back to normal, Harry."

"Normal?"

"Yes. Your aura has been changing quite a bit just lately. It was quite horrible looking sometimes. The worst was when you were going after Mary."

"I suppose I was feeling murderous," admitted Harry. "Actually, I wasn't. I just knew I had to pretend to be in order to stand any chance of getting her away from him. It wasn't really like yesterday when I Apparated into the middle of the Death Eaters."

"That was a very stupid thing to do, Harry."

"Well, you weren't there to tell me not to go."

"Would you have listened?"

"I always listen to you, Hermione. You're the only one I do listen to."

"Why did you go?"

"I was upset anyway, but I thought the only way I would satisfy the desire for revenge would be to kill as many of them as I could."

"That's ridiculous, Harry."

"Well, yes. It didn't happen anyway, did it?"

"So then you went and discovered the location of Miss Alice's Invisible Army."

"Your parents did most of the discovering, actually."

"You shouldn't have gone without us, Harry."

"I can't agree with that. Well, I don't want to, anyway. Okay, maybe I should have told you more, but I didn't want you to feel obliged to help. Remember, we had no idea what we might find. All I knew was that it was a lost cause. I knew so many would lose their lives; I couldn't risk yours as well."

"That's not a decision you have any right to make for me, Harry."

"True, but I'd do the same thing again," he said, as the gazebo did a neat pirouette before continuing on slowly.

"I keep seeing their faces. They were so afraid, but I kept bullying them to form the circle and fight on for as long as possible. I just feel so guilty that I lived but so many of them didn't."

"You took the same risks as they did; besides, the faces I saw didn't look afraid."

"I should have done better. I'm sure I could have taken more of them out from the air."

"Mary told us the Giants presented the greater risk."

"When?"

"Before she and John left. She wanted to tell us much more, but the helicopter was waiting to take them. She was still a little distracted that you'd managed to turn her plan on its head. How did you know Voldemort would believe your lies?"

"I didn't, but Bear got away with it before. I think Voldemort finds it difficult to concentrate when he's angry or emotional. Besides, once I mentioned the Prophecy, I knew he'd concentrate on listening rather than reading our minds."

"He almost managed to get her again, though."

"Yes, I shouldn't have brought her back there. I didn't think it through. I suppose I just wanted to get back to you."

"Why, Harry?"

Harry hesitated. It seemed such a strange question.

"Um," he said stupidly.

"I'm surprised you didn't return directly to your banner," she said lightly, but steadfastly looking away from him. "It was rather good, by the way. You should ask Luna to show you how to make it roar too."

"Don't change the subject, Hermione," said Harry gently. "Why would I go there and not back to the roof where you were?"

"Pansy was there, wasn't she?"

"So? I already thanked her for saving my life. I've still no idea how she got there. Miss Alice claimed everyone in her army had been completely isolated for ages."

"Harry, I saw," began Hermione, but her voice caught. "I saw you. Looking," she finished, her voice very strained.

"Well, I suppose that is true. Her new look does seem designed to draw attention to herself. Just ask Luna. I mean, what kind of chest armour has-"

Harry stopped himself, knowing that Hermione was probably less forgiving than Luna.

"Harry, I saw you with her in the Village."

"Oh."

"Mum and Dad were introducing me to some friends they'd made. They invited us in for tea and their upstairs room looked out across the street. You can imagine the shock I had seeing you in the opposite window, and then Pansy appearing. You didn't exactly hurry away, either."

"Nothing happened and nothing will happen. I even told you I'd seen her, remember?"

"Right from the moment you first saw her, you've been attracted to her. She was all over you when we rescued her. I dread to think what happened when Ron and I left for the Burrow that night."

"Ah," said Harry, understanding at last. "I wondered what had upset you so much."

Hermione dabbed her eyes with a small handkerchief.

"So, where does that leave us?" asked Harry.

"Where do you want it to leave us?"

"Obviously, I'd like you to believe me when I say absolutely nothing happened with Pansy. I can't pretend I don't find her physically attractive, especially with her new look. That doesn't mean my feelings for you are any less, or that you aren't as beautiful to me as ever.

"You know I only twisted round when I fell of the parapet so I might see you one more time. It wasn't Pansy I was thinking about in my last few seconds, either then or when the defensive circle collapsed."

Harry placed a hand gently on her shoulder.

"Remember that tower we were held captured in?" he said gently. "That was the moment when it was over for me. I knew I was lost to you from that moment. Discard me if you want, Hermione, but I'll never love anyone as much as I've loved you from that moment."

Harry waited, but all he received in reply was a tsk noise from Hermione. He wished she would look at him.

"Go, on," she finally said.

"You want more?" he said indignantly, and Hermione snorted. She finally turned to him, very red faced but smiling.

Harry held out his arms and she lent forward into his embrace as the gazebo continued its stately tour.

"Honestly, Harry. You are hopeless."

"True."

"It's a good job you've got Kreacher, that's all I can say."

"Yes," he said absently. "Um, why?"

"I finally worked out what he was trying to tell me. Well, actually he was trying to give me clues. You know? All those labels in the kitchen."

"Um, actually the reminders were for me," admitted Harry. "He wasn't too subtle, but he was reminding me how much I love you. I think he's quite a romantic, really."

"Perhaps Kreacher was giving us both a message. Anyway, thanks to your instruction that he could tell me anything he wanted, Kreacher was able to come up to Hogwarts and tell us where you had gone. By the way, you should say those three little words more often, Harry."

"I'll try and remember that," he promised. "I am glad Neville got you away from that posse, though. I was wondering if I'd ever get to speak to you alone."

"Hey! That posse is my mother and my best friends," Hermione reminded him. "As a matter of fact all I heard was a continuous series of pleas that you deserved to be forgiven."

"Really?"

"Try not to sound so surprised, Harry. It just makes you sound more guilty."

"Didn't you see how upset I felt when you cold-shouldered me?" he asked gently.

"To tell the truth I've not been able to bring myself to look properly at your aura for ages," she admitted. "At first you kept changing wildly, as if torn between good and evil. Then it just went dark and I thought you were lost."

"So, am I still a bit dim?" he asked smiling.

Hermione gave half a laugh and said, "You'll always be a bit dim, Harry, but your aura is burning brightly enough now."

*

Harry and Hermione stepped hand-in-hand through the open terrace doors into the newly restored room.

"Hi," said Neville, who had entered the room at the same time through the internal door.

"I don't need to ask how you two are," he said smiling, gesturing for them to sit.

They smiled back but said nothing.

"First of all, I'd like to apologise about Ginny's outburst earlier. She's been dying to know all about it since she overheard Gran having a go at me about not telling you yet. Gran's refusal to tell her anything has just made her more curious."

"There's no need to apologise, Neville."

"Still, I'd have preferred her not to have said anything. Now you are bound to feel pressured to share this. Anyway, the reason I didn't say anything sooner was, well, because of Hermione."

"Me?" said Hermione in surprise.

"Yes. I've not seen much of either of you lately, but it seemed to me that Hermione was becoming increasingly unhappy with what you were becoming involved with, Harry. I saw for myself how you were changing," she added to Harry, "when we released you from the Ministry. I've a feeling that what you were feeling with Hermione was just making things worse."

Harry nodded slowly.

Neville opened a drawer in the massive desk and quickly pocketed a couple of small items.

"Come on," he said smiling and getting to his feet. "I've something to show you, and something to give you."

They followed Neville back out into the garden. This time he walked straight ahead along a wide grass path until they arrived at an ornate circular stone building. They went around to the far side where a solid black door was set into the wall.

Neville took out a large black key and unlocked the door but didn't open it.

He handed the key to Harry and said, "Lock it when you are done and come up to the house. Gran is expecting us for tea, but there's no hurry. Take as long as you like. No-one will disturb you."

Harry nodded and accepted the key. It was much heavier than it looked.

"Before you go in, I'd like you to accept something," he said, fumbling around in his pockets. "I never properly thanked you for helping Gran. I honestly don't know what I would have done if she'd been hurt."

Neville handed Harry a small box. Harry opened it to reveal Gryffindor's gold ring.

"Neville, I can't accept this," said Harry at once.

"Harry, I know you are worried that the vision you saw might come true. Personally, I don't think you did see your future. Anyway, while Gran's been staying at Hogwarts, she actually did a little research into the ring.

"You see it wasn't presented to our family all those years ago just because we are related to Gryffindor. It was given in friendship as a reminder to someone close who might have been tempted to forget the ideals that this ring represents.

"Harry, I'm loaning this ring to you, because right now I think you need something to remind you what those ideals are. You will return it to us when you are ready, not before."

Harry nodded shakily.

Neville smiled warmly and was a few feet away before Harry could say, "Thank you, Neville."

He waved and continued back to the house.

Harry couldn't take his eyes off the ring glinting brightly in the sunlight.

He knew it was all true, of course. He had forgotten.

His mind considered how many people died today because of his failure but his heart knew he should care more.

He did care, he told himself, but those feelings seemed so remote. There was no anguish about those lives there at all, in fact.

He'd lost count of the number of people he'd killed when the circle was besieged. He'd fired without even looking sometimes, knowing full well that many wouldn't have been willing conscripts.

Yet Dumbledore had stopped the fighting at once, simply by attacking the leader, Caedo. He hadn't even bothered to attack anyone else that day.

Ollivander had helped him see that, as well. Harry had seen and yet failed to learn Dumbledore's lesson.

So what if Voldemort couldn't be killed yet? He should have tried so much harder. If he'd driven him from the field, the fighting would have stopped so much quicker.

Harry absently removed the ring from the small box to see it better, although he had absolutely no intention of putting it on again.

Hermione turned the iron handle to the black door and opened it inwards. She then guided Harry inside.

Lanterns lit up the moment they entered.

Hermione closed the door and Harry looked up. It was a mausoleum and the air smelled cool and dry. Small carved stone plaques were set into the curved walls all around and there was a simple stone seat. The centre of the open space was dominated by a high white marble plinth, the top of which was set at a slight incline.

The marble top had been carved to look like flowing blankets. There were pillows too that looked like they would be soft to the touch.

Lying on top were two figures, effigies of a man and a woman dressed in finest wizarding robes. They were hand-in-hand and their heads were tilted slightly so they were forever looking at each other.

"Oh my, Harry," breathed Hermione once she had read the inscription on the plinth. The neat script advised that the bodies of James and Lilly Potter briefly rested there for a few weeks before they were finally laid to rest in accordance with their wishes.

No explanation was given as to why they would have been here, but Harry knew that they had been friends with Neville's parents.

He tried not to dwell on his parents' deaths and wondered briefly if they too had taken a turn around the gardens in the floating gazebo.

They walked slowly around the plinth and Harry touched the cold smooth surface of his mother's cheek and then his father's wand hand.

"I've never seen more lifelike marble effigies," said Hermione, as they sat down.

Harry nodded, his throat tightening.

"Did you see the ring?" asked Hermione in hushed tones.

Harry was still toying with Gryffindor's ring in his hands and said, "Sorry?"

"On his hand. Your Dad is wearing that ring too."

Harry got up again and looked properly. There was no doubt the ring was the same Gryffindor ring he now carried.

"Why was my Dad wearing it?"

"We'll probably never know. Maybe it's a tradition to lend it."

"Maybe. I thought Mrs Longbottom said the ring never left her sight. What did she say? Frank Longbottom asked to use it once."

"Perhaps she meant he lent it to your father, or something."

"What would be the point of that? She said the ring never left her sight, so he couldn't have had it long, could he?"

"On the other hand," said Hermione, picking the ring out of Harry's hand and finally putting it on his finger, "perhaps we should just trust that Neville knows what he's doing."

She was too quick for him and the wave that hit him was such a shock he could hardly breath, let alone pull the ring off. Harry fell forward onto his knees. He screwed up his eyes as Hermione held out her arms and held him to her.

Finally, Harry let out a great sob, clutching desperately onto Hermione.

Breathing heavily, he began to calm and a clarity descended upon him.

He seemed to understand now.

He would only need to wear the ring for a few minutes and somehow knew he'd be returning the ring to Mrs Longbottom at tea.

He'd still remember what the ring represented, though; unlike his other, older self.

"We'll make our own future," Hermione promised, kissing him. Then she seemed to realise something.

"Hey, Neville didn't explain why I was the reason he didn't tell you about this place."

"He didn't need to, Hermione," said Harry with a smile, kissing her again. He knew, of course, that the ring, or rather what it represented, meant little to him without her. Perhaps that is why he'd needed to keep the ring for so long; his older self had lost his Hermione.

They sat huddled together for several minutes, Harry clutching her and Hermione comforting him as the last of the emotional barriers he'd built up were lifted away.

"I've decided to go to Godric's Hollow, Hermione," Harry said much later. "I know I've been putting it off, but I think there's more to find there. I'd also like us to visit my parents actual graves too. I think I'm ready now, if you'll come with me?"

Hermione smiled and nodded.

"I've waited so long for you to say that," she said, kissing him again.

"Future," Harry repeated, breaking away.

"Harry!"

"No, I just remembered something. We need to go and see Madam Pomfrey!"

"Why, are you hurt?"

"No, not me, you! He told me you died because you were hit with the same curse twice. The treatment wasn't effective the second time because of something they missed the first time."

"Nonsense. How do you know I haven't been hit the first time yet?"

"I don't," Harry admitted, "but we're not taking any chances."

"Poor Madam Pomfrey. You'll be nagging her every time I have so much as a near miss."

"Well, we could try Healer Spunge again. Mind you, he's probably fed up with me bringing him distressed girls at all hours."

"Girls? I think you mean hags, Harry. Hags with no sense of decency or morals and bad-"

He cut her off with a kiss.

END

-

AN: That it! Thanks for reading. Once again I've enjoyed reading and responding to your kind reviews.

If was, of course, Neville who sent Old Harry out in search of his younger self. Harry's appearance not only "balanced the books," it also helped Slytherin Harry realise how he could redeem himself slightly.

I'll decide later whether to continue this series or not. Although I quite like the idea of Moody and Bateman getting themselves into trouble somehow, so maybe…

Before then, I'm hoping to complete a couple of one-shots but there will then be a delay before the next longish story which is looking like a sequel to "Journey Home."