Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dumbledore Answers Harry by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dumbledore Answers Harry

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J. K. Rowling, not me.

Dumbledore Answers Harry - Chapter 24 - The Sound of Victory

Darkness and quiet. That's all that was in his world. Deep down he had some vague memory of a world that wasn't like that, but for the past eternity all Harry Potter knew was emptiness. If he concentrated hard enough, he could recall looking through a ghost and seeing a huge snake just before his senses stopped working, but he usually didn't bother. He had no way of knowing how much time had passed, nor what time of day it was. Concepts like that had lost all meaning for him. He simply existed. He knew there was more to life than this, but he realized that it wasn't for him anymore. Sometimes that thought made him happy as he now understood he wouldn't have to face his enemy anymore. Suddenly his peaceful world started changing.

He felt his senses slowly begin functioning as light began to shine into his dark existence, hurting his…eyes, if he remembered right. His…ears (yes, that's it) began to hurt as they picked up the sounds of many voices that he couldn't separate just yet. His mind began functioning at full capacity once more as his memories became much clearer. He heard a familiar voice saying his name as he began blinking his eyes.

"Harry?"

He blinked his eyes again and managed to turn his stiff neck in the direction of the sound. He saw the image of a girl with bushy brown hair, and for the first time in a month, his facial expression changed. It was harder to smile than he recalled, so he didn't smile as widely as he wanted to. He opened and closed his mouth, remembering its use. His raspy voice managed to speak. "Hermione?"

"Yes!" she said as she engulfed her boyfriend in a tight hug. "You're awake!"

After a few seconds, another familiar voice said, "Miss Granger, I believe you'll need to allow Mr. Potter a few minutes to readjust. His petrification won't have any lasting affects on him, but his muscles haven't been used for awhile, so he'll have to practice using them again. He should be back to normal by tomorrow."

"I'll bet I know what muscles Hermione wants to help Harry practice with," said another female voice, causing him to blush. Harry looked around and saw that Ginny had made the last comment, and then he looked around again to see who else was there. He smiled even more broadly as he realized so many people were there with him.

"Hi, Ginny, Ron, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Fred, George, Sirius, Professor Dumbledore, and Madam Pomfrey. What happened?" He glanced around again. "Where am I?" He coughed lightly. "I'm thirsty."

While Madam Pomfrey fetched a glass of water for her patient, the others explained how he'd been petrified by a basilisk almost a month before (it was now December 27th), Hogwarts had been closed, and he'd been brought to Potter Cottage in Scotland. After he'd emptied his glass, Madam Pomfrey had him get up, which was a difficult process, but Harry was stubborn enough to make his legs walk. After an hour, all his muscles were sore, even his facial ones after his healer had him make faces at her. "You get some rest for a few hours and walk to the dining room when you wake up."

-

Hermione was sitting at a rather large table eating lunch with Sirius and the Weasleys that had been in Harry's room earlier that day. Percy had elected to stay at the Burrow rather than visit the reason he didn't make Head Boy. Bill and Charlie had gone back to their jobs in Egypt and Romania respectively after spending Christmas with their family.

Once he'd left Harry's room, Dumbledore had gone back to Hogsmeade, where he'd been staying at the Hog's Head. He was fearful that Voldemort would take this opportunity to attack Hogwarts, so he made it public that he was still guarding the castle, along with an undisclosed number of supporters. He was hoping this would discourage or at least delay Riddle from making any such plans.

Despite the news of Voldemort's activities that were still being reported, Hermione was happier now than she had been for nearly a month. She was brought out of her reflections by Ron's voice.

"Do you think Dumbledore's gonna make Harry take him into the Chamber of Secrets now that he's awake? Assuming that you guys are right that he's a Parselmouth, I mean?"

"I hope not," said Ginny, "That would be horrible. Can you imagine what else might be in there besides the basilisk? Nothing could make me go down there!" She cringed.

"Don't worry," said Mrs. Weasley, "I'm sure that Professor Dumbledore wouldn't do that. Even if he absolutely needs Harry to open the Chamber for him, I'm sure he'll…"

"Open the Chamber for him?" came Harry's voice from the other side of the room. He was walking slowly but normally. "How could I open the Chamber of Secrets if he can't?"

Hermione looked nervous as she got up and walked toward her boyfriend. "Well, er, you see, we think you're a Parselmouth."

"A what?"

"A Parselmouth. It means you can talk to snakes."

"Sure. I once set a python after my cousin…er, accidentally of course. But I'm sure a lot of people can…" Every eye was on Harry now.

"No they can't. It's a rare gift, Harry. Right now, Voldemort is the only known Parselmouth in the world. That's why Professor Dumbledore needs you. He's found the entrance to the Chamber but believes that only a Parselmouth can open it."

"You are quite correct, Miss Granger," said Dumbledore, who'd apparently just returned. He turned to Harry. "I'm afraid that I do need to request your assistance, Mr. Potter, if Hogwarts is to ever reopen. I do have a plan, but require your talent if it is to succeed."

"So basically if I ever want Hogwarts to reopen I've got to help you?"

"I'm afraid so," Dumbledore agreed sadly. "I do feel bad about putting you back in danger, but it is the only way. We'll talk privately after lunch and I'll explain the plan. If you and Madam Pomfrey, who will be here after dinner, will agree, we, that is myself, you, and Sirius, will go to Hogwarts first thing on the day after tomorrow. Everything is ready except you."

Professor Dumbledore and Harry joined them at the table, and Harry got his first meal in nearly a month. Hermione kept quiet, but she was angry that the headmaster would guilt-trip Harry into helping as soon as he was given the mandrake potion. She felt that he needed a bit more time to heal up properly. She knew it would be useless to try talking Harry out of it now, and she also knew she'd never forgive Dumbledore if anything happened to Harry down there.

Other healers had helped the other victims at St. Mungo's about the same time that Harry had been treated. She'd heard that Mr. Filch had had a nervous breakdown when he was told of Mrs. Norris' demise and was moved to the mental health ward when he began listing the punishments he expected Theodore Nott to endure for his crimes. His healer intends to find out if Mr. Filch actually has the torture devices that he described once Hogwarts is safe.

-

When Harry, Sirius, and Albus came out to the living room after their talk, all three of them were smiling brightly. Harry stopped as he noticed something he didn't expect to see.

"You've still got a Christmas tree up, with presents underneath. They can't all be mine."

"Of course not, silly," answered Hermione. "It's got the presents you bought for me, Sirius and the Weasleys."

"Actually," said Sirius, "It's all of mine."

Harry smiled even more. "You didn't have to wait for me…"

"We wanted to celebrate Christmas with you," said Ginny, and looking at the others, he saw they all agreed.

-

Two days later, Harry, Sirius, and Dumbledore arrived in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom via portkey. They were all wearing what appeared to be tinted safety glasses that were strapped on their heads so they couldn't fall off. Harry got off the floor where he'd fallen when they arrived and looked around. He saw that Dumbledore was still holding the cage he'd brought with him that contained a rooster that was wearing a miniature version of the same goggles they were wearing. Dumbledore had charmed the rooster's glasses so that they wouldn't be noticed by the bird so he wouldn't be uncomfortable. The cage itself had been charmed so that nothing (like Nagini) would be able to break into it and attack the occupant.

"Are either of you unclear about any aspect of the plan?" asked Dumbledore.

"We get the rooster down there, make sure the basilisk shows up, and you use the Imperius curse to make it crow while Sirius and I protect you and the bird."

"Quite right, Mr. Potter. I would like to remind you that the use of this curse on a human being would put you in Azkaban for life. It's not something I'd do lightly, even to an animal, but it's the only way I can be sure that it will crow at the proper time."

"Are you sure these glasses will work, Albus?"

"As sure as possible without testing it, Sirius. I believe that we will be able to look the beast in the eyes with no ill affects, however, I would suggest trying not to test it, just in case. Do both of you have your emergency portkeys?" When they both nodded, Albus continued. "Good. Harry, I want you to leave immediately if anything goes wrong or you are in immediate danger."

"Okay."

"Now, I want you to focus on this carving and tell the sink to open."

Harry looked at the carved snake for about thirty seconds, and hissed, "Open!" The trio watched in wonder as the sinks moved around, eventually revealing a hole.

"Although logic suggests that we look before we leap, circumstances dictate otherwise. I'll go first. Don't follow me until I've called back to you." With that said, the old man, holding the birdcage to his chest, walked up to the hole and jumped in. Harry and Sirius grinned at each other when they heard him shout, "Weeeeee," like a little kid. Eventually, they heard him shout, "My, my, I haven't had this much fun in years. Do hurry up."

Harry went first, followed closely by Sirius. Padfoot was the first to speak. "I have to admit that it was the best slide I've ridden in a long time, even if it did leave us filthy."

"I'd suggest not cleaning ourselves until we are finished getting dirty," said Dumbledore sagely with a twinkle in his eyes. "I would suggest that we carry our wands from here."

They began walking after Dumbledore lit his wand. None actually commented on the rat skeletons they were stepping on. They soon found something. "Interesting, it appears to be a snakeskin."

Harry swallowed. "H, How big would you say the snake that shed it is, Professor Dumbledore?"

"Well, it's bigger than twenty feet long, that much is certain."

"Twenty feet?" exclaimed Sirius. "Bloody hell!"

"Actually, this appears to have been shed years ago, so the basilisk is no doubt much bigger now." Upon seeing the looks on the younger faces, Albus said, "It is ironic that no matter how big it is, all it takes is a rooster crowing to kill it. It is further interesting that while its sight can kill others, its hearing can kill it."

"As interesting as that is," said Sirius, "I'd like to get this over with if you don't mind."

"I quite agree," said Dumbledore, "It wouldn't due to let an old man's ramblings delay us from our quest. Come, Harry."

They continued walking down the path, which kept twisting and turning until they ran across a solid wall on which two entwined serpents were carved, their eyes set with great, glinting emeralds.

Upon quickly examining them, Dumbledore looked at the youngest member of his party. "Mr. Potter, if you please."

Harry looked into the emeralds and hissed, "Open," revealing the legendary Chamber of Secrets. All three of them looked at the statues of snakes as they walked around the apparently empty room until they faced the huge statue of Salazar Slytherin.

"That is one ugly git!" exclaimed Sirius.

"You've got that right," agreed Harry, "but where do you suppose the basilisk is?"

"If I may make a suggestion," said Albus, "As you both know, the Dark Mark features a snake crawling out of the mouth of a skull. What if it was inspired by this chamber?"

Harry's eyes widened in comprehension. "You mean that the basilisk comes out of Salazar's mouth?"

"Precisely."

"It's as good a guess as any," said Sirius. "Harry?"

He walked up to the statue and hissed, "Open." Nothing happened. "It's not opening," he said in English.

"Perhaps there's a password," suggested Dumbledore. "Probably something complimenting how great Slytherin was. According to every reference I've read, Mr. Slytherin was quite arrogant."

"But what could it be exactly?"

"Speak to me, Slytherin, greatest of the Hogwarts Four."

Harry looked back at them in disbelief. "Do you really think it would be…"

"That wasn't us talking," said Sirius urgently, "It was something hissing!"

"What?" shouted Harry before he heard the mouth of the statue opening. "Oww!" He fell to the floor as he felt something bite his leg.

"Harry!" shouted Sirius as he took a step toward him.

"No! Watch Dumbledore. The snake is coming!" While Harry was talking, he was pointing his wand at Nagini. "Reducto!" The blast deflected off of the snake's powerful skin, but caused it to turn back, giving Harry a perfect, "Reducto!" shot into its mouth just as the basilisk made its appearance.

-

At the same time that Harry was bitten, Albus Dumbledore pointed his wand at the rooster. "Sonorus. Imperio!" The bird went perfectly still, ready to take any orders. Dumbledore waited, listening to Harry's spells, until finally he saw the basilisk's nose. He instructed the rooster to start crowing and keep on crowing until he told it to stop. Soon the entire chamber was reverberating with the sound. Only Albus noticed the extra scream that came with Nagini's death.

-

At the same time Harry watched the basilisk that hadn't even fully emerged fall dead, he noticed something else appear right above him. He couldn't hear the customary phoenix song over the noise of the rooster, but he did see and feel the bird land on his leg and begin weeping into the wound, stopping the poison from filling his body.

"Thanks, Fawkes."

Dumbledore released the rooster from both spells, much to the relief of all present, who were growing tired of its amplified song. Sirius ran over to Harry and helped him to his feet.

"Are you alright, Harry?"

"I'm fine, Sirius," he assured him. "Fawkes sorted me out." The bird, which was now perched on Harry's shoulder, chirped in agreement.

"Thank you very much for your help, Harry. You'll be receiving an award for special services to the school, as will Miss Granger for her information. If you'll stay here with us, you'll get an opportunity for extra credit in potions. The body of a basilisk is filled with many rare, valuable potion ingredients."

He looked at Dumbledore and then the dead sixty foot snake. "No thanks. My potions grade isn't that bad." He then activated his portkey and disappeared just as Fawkes flew to Dumbledore, leaving Sirius and Albus to examine the basilisk's insides.

=

Please review. Thank you to those who have. Sorry I took so long to update.

I've taken some liberty with my description of Harry's petrification since the books actually don't describe what it was like. Many believe that the victims could see and hear, and were therefore aware of what was going on during the process, and that might even be true, but not in this story. I also think that muscle that hasn't been used in a month would need to be worked a bit before going back to normal.

I know they didn't test the glasses, but would you want to be to one to do it? I hope you agree that under these circumstances Dumbledore would use the Imperius curse on a rooster, only making it crow.

-->