Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dumbledore Answers Harry by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dumbledore Answers Harry

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J. K. Rowling, not me.

Dumbledore Answers Harry - Chapter 4 - A Day of Surprises

The first Hogsmeade visit for students in third-year and above came quickly. Harry had begun learning offense now in his class with Flitwick. He'd been taught expelliarmus and rictusempra. Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny were sitting at the Gryffindor table watching Percy. When he finished eating, he got up and walked over toward the Ravenclaw table, and tapped his girlfriend Penelope on the shoulder, and the youngest Weasley siblings got up and walked toward the couple. When Ron found out that they were pranking Percy, he wanted to help. Hermione had searched the library and found the perfect spell, but it required two people to perform it. It required about sixty seconds of the victims standing still while the hex was performed. It was decided that Ginny and Ron should be able to distract their brother that long while Harry and Hermione performed the spell behind Percy's back.

As Ron and Ginny were headed toward the Ravenclaw table, Penelope got up and started walking toward the exit with her boyfriend. Harry and Hermione got up and started walking while Ron called out, "Oy! Percy and Penelope! Could you come here?"

With an annoyed look on his face, Percy muttered something to his girlfriend and they walked toward his younger siblings. "What is it, Ron?" Percy asked with impatience.

"Well," said Ron. "You're going to Hogsmeade, right?"

"Yes," said Penelope.

"We, that is Ginny and I, were hoping you could pick up some things for us."

Percy sighed as his ears turned pink. "Why couldn't you ask Fred or George to do that?"

Ginny looked at Percy as though he was insane. "Would you trust Fred or George to get you something besides trouble?"

Percy smiled slightly. "I suppose not."

"We know that you're much more reliable and can be trusted," said Ginny.

Behind the couple, Harry and Hermione were having a hard time concentrating on the spell and not laughing at the way Percy was eating up the compliments.

Percy stood a bit straighter. "Yes, I certainly see why you would trust me over those two. If those clowns picked something up for you, they'd probably hex it to explode. They are so irresponsible! It's good to see that you two are beginning to respect the sense of responsibility that I have, but the twins rather lack. If you start following the rules better, I'll bet both of you could be prefects like me when the time comes. What is it that you've chosen to trust me to pick up for you?"

Ron looked over Percy's shoulder at Harry, who gave him a thumbs-up. "Ten chocolate frogs, and everything on this list of Zonko products."

As Ron was trying to put a parchment in Percy's hands, the prefect said, "I'll get you the candy, but I must insist that you give up the idea of those joke materials. You'll end up acting like the twins and get in trouble."

Ginny looked to the ground solemnly. "You're right Percy. We're sorry. We'll stop trying to pull off jokes."

"Yeah," said Ron. "I guess you two better get off to Hogsmeade. I hope you have a good time."

"Indeed we should," said Percy as he took Penelope's hand, "and indeed we shall." They walked away and out the doors while the quartet watched them.

Once Percy and Penelope were gone, they started laughing. "I can't believe that Percy is so thick he actually believed us!" said Ron, chuckling.

"With Ginny's performance, those repentant, sorrowful eyes, it would be hard not to believe her," said Hermione.

Ginny said. "Thanks. That was a brilliant spell you found, Hermione. How long before it takes affect?"

"About five more minutes," said Harry, chuckling. "You were all brilliant! I just wish we could go to Hogsmeade to watch them!"

Dobby suddenly appeared in front of Harry. "Harry Potter is wishing to go to Hogsmeade. Dobby can be bringing him and his Weezies and Grangy there!"

Harry was startled. "Er, Dobby. That's great. I'd like that, but, why are you doing this? I'm not your master."

Dobby shifted uncomfortably.

"That's a good question," said Hermione. "I mean, I thought before that you simply wanted Mr. Malfoy to go to jail, but there's more to that, isn't there? You only appeared when Harry said he wished he could prove Malfoy bribed Fudge. And just now he wished for transportation."

"Why are you granting Harry wishes?" asked Ginny and Ron together as Dobby squirmed more.

"I wish you'd answer my question," said Harry with a smirk.

"Well, Dobby is needing employment, and er, Dobby is hoping that Harry Potter would consider hiring Dobby for wages."

"Y-You want me to hire you?" asked Harry in shock as his eyes bulged out.

"Why would Harry want to hire a house elf?" asked Hermione. "He doesn't own a house."

"Pardon me, Miss Grangie," said Dobby timidly, "But Miss is mistaken. When Mrs. Malfoy is giving Dobby clothes, Dobby is fleeing to Dobby's friends that is goblins working at Gringotts. When Dobby is talking to them, they is telling Dobby that Harry Potter is having several houses, and they is wondering why Harry Potter never is visiting them."

"What?" said the four of them together.

"Are you sure?" asked Harry.

"The same goblin is telling Dobby about Master Malfoy's bribes."

"I'll need to go back to Gringotts and ask them about it. "Anyway, how much money are you hoping for, Dobby?"

Dobby looked very apprehensive. "Er, a sickle per month, and, er, one day off every year?"

"That's ridiculous!" exclaimed Hermione. "You should get at least ten Galleons a week, and weekends off!"

Dobby looked horrified. "Oh no! Dobby is not greedy! Dobby would be ashamed of having such wealth and being so lazy!"

"What's the most that you would accept, Dobby?" asked Ginny kindly.

Dobby looked rather nervous. "Er, maybe, Dobby is supposing he is accepting one Galleon per week and one day off per month."

Harry thought for about a minute. "Well, I'll check it out with Gringotts, but if it's true that I have all those houses, I should have someone keeping them from getting really bad. I'll need you to take me to Gringotts today, and if that's true, I guess you've got the job. But first, take us to Hogsmeade after I summon my cloak.

-

A few minutes later, the group of kids appeared near Percy under Harry's invisibility cloak, and started watching the show silently.

Percy and Penelope were talking to a Ravenclaw girl named Teresa. Percy said, "That's certainly right, isn't it Penelope?"

Penelope looked confused and asked, "Why'd you start mouthing the words instead of talking to me?"

Teresa said, "He wasn't mouthing the words. You must not have been paying attention."

Percy said, "I wasn't mouthing words, but Penelope was." He turned to his date. "Why were you doing that, Penelope dear?"

Penelope was getting frustrated. "I'm not mouthing words! And will you speak to me, and not just Teresa?"

Percy's cheeks were getting pink. "Will you stop acting like a child and speak up! Stop this foolishness!"

"Guys," said Teresa, "You're both speaking out loud! I think you should have Madam Pomfrey check your hearing."

The quartet was laughing as Percy and Penelope both argued that they could hear fine and accused Teresa of lying to them as part of a prank. Neither suspected that a spell had been cast that made the two of them unable to hear each other for five hours.

After they calmed down, Harry said, "Dobby," and the elf reappeared and bowed low.

"Yes, Harry Potter, sir."

"Take these three back to an empty classroom near Gryffindor Tower and then take me to Gringotts. I'd like to keep the cloak. Make sure nobody sees them."

"I'd like to go to Gringotts with you," said Ginny.

"Why would you want to do that?" snarled Ron, "so you can find out how much more money he has than us!"

"Actually Ronald," said Hermione, "I think it would be good to offer him moral support while he asks about his parents' possessions. I'd like to go as well."

"Whatever," said Ron.

"Are you girls sure?" asked Harry. "This could be boring."

"Yes," they both said at once.

Harry saw the determined look on both their faces and said, "I know it's pointless to argue with either of you. Dobby, take Ron to Hogwarts and then take the three of us to Gringotts."

-

A few minutes later, the three of them popped into Gringotts under the invisibility cloak. Harry said, "Stay under the cloak until I get a private room. Stay close."

Harry snuck out from under the cloak when no one was looking and walked up to the counter. He put his hands together and said, "I am Harry Potter, and I wish to discuss my family's property in private."

The goblin behind the desk looked at him appraisingly for about thirty seconds before motioning toward a door and saying, "Go into that room. The one who handles your account is inside."

Harry walked up though the open door, waited thirty seconds, and closed the door. His friends emerged from under the cloak. They walked up to the desk where a goblin Harry recognized was sitting. Harry put his hands together and kneeled. The girls followed suit.

"You may speak, Mr. Potter," said the goblin. "May I ask the identities of your companions?

Harry and the girls stood up straight and faced the goblin. "Manager Griphook, it is a pleasure to see you again. This is Hermione Granger, and this is Ginny Weasley." Harry indicated each as he introduced them.

Griphook stared at Harry and grinned. "You honor me, Mr. Potter. Most wizards don't bother learning our names. They seem to be under the impression that we all look alike. We have a Weasley vault, but unless I'm mistaken we do not have a Granger vault."

Hermione said, "That's correct, Manager Griphook. I'm muggleborn."

"I see," said the goblin. "How may I help you?"

Harry nervously said, "Er, well, I'd like to know everything I inherited from my parents. I've heard that I have a house, and I'd like to find out if it's true and where it's at."

The goblin chuckled to himself as he clapped his hands together once, making a rolled up scroll appear in front of Harry. "You actually own several houses. You also own three vaults. That scroll is charmed to give you whatever information you require that Gringotts has regarding your estate, and it is always accurate to the sickle. Pick up the scroll and say what you want to see."

Harry hesitantly grabbed the scroll and said, "My houses."

"Now unroll it."

Harry unrolled it and saw a listing of several homes with a location and photograph. The first one on the list was called 'Potter Manor' and appeared to be a mansion located about twenty kilometers outside of London. He had a cottage in Scotland near Hogwarts, as well as in Paris and Rome, to name a few places. He continued unrolling the scroll until he ran across the picture of a destroyed cottage labeled, 'Godric's Hollow.' His face paled as his hands began trembling. Both girls immediately put their hands on his shoulders as they gazed at the wreck that used to be a house.

"Roll it up, Harry," said Hermione. "There's no reason you have to look at that."

He looked up at Hermione and said, "I guess not," and rolled it up. He gave her a half smile to try to convince her he was ok. "My vaults," he said, and unrolled it again. He saw 'Harry Potter's Trust Vault,' which had nearly two hundred thousand Galleons in it, along with a picture. He then saw a picture of another vault that made the first one look empty. It had over one hundred million Galleons in it. It was listed as the 'Potter Family Vault.' The third vault was labeled 'Potter Family Valuables,' and it had a picture that had several things in it, but he couldn't accurately make out what they were based off of the small photograph. Fortunately, there was an organized list. The first category was portkeys. It appeared that there was a portkey for every house he owned. "What's a portkey?" he asked.

Hermione gave her textbook answer. "A magical way to travel wherein a common object is charmed to bring anybody touching it to its destination in seconds. They can be charmed to be voice-activated, time-activated, or touch-activated. Personally, I think voice-activated is the most convenient type, and I'm glad to see that's what they all are."

Harry kept looking down that list and exclaimed, "There's a portkey to the Shrieking Shack in here!"

"Who would want a portkey there?" said Hermione fearfully. "It's one of the most haunted houses in the world."

"My parents, that's who," said Harry without emotion.

"I'd like to go there," said Ginny excitedly.

"Me too," said Harry, "I'd also like to visit Potter Manor. I'd also like to find a better way to carry money." Harry then turned to Griphook and said, "Is there a more convenient way to carry money, both wizarding and muggle, than just taking a bunch of gold and pounds with me wherever I go?"

Griphook smiled. "Certainly, Mr. Potter, although most customers don't think to ask that." The goblin clapped his hands and a black pouch that had an ornate gold 'G' on it appeared in front of him. "It is charmed to always contain ten Galleons and one hundred pounds in it. As you remove money from it, it keeps on replenishing from your vault until it's empty. You're the only person who can open the pouch. If you wish to have it, we charge fifty Galleons."

Harry smiled. "Alright."

"Excellent. Which vault do you want it tied to?"

"Er, actually, could you simply combine both of my money vaults? I don't really see the point in having them separate if I can access both."

"Very well, Mr. Potter. We'll arrange for your trust vault to be emptied into the main vault. Do you wish to give up that vault?"

"Ye-hold on. Hermione?" said Harry.

"Yes?"

"Would you like a vault?"

Hermione's ears went a bit pink. "Er, I don't know, maybe. It would be nice to have a place to keep my money instead of my trunk. My parents always give me more money than I spend, so I save it. I would like it if you don't mind."

Harry handed Hermione his key and said, "Manager Griphook, I'd like it to become Hermione Granger's vault." He then looked at Ginny, who seemed sad, and said, "How much would another vault like that cost?"

Ginny blushed and said, "Harry, you don't have to…"

"Until I make a choice, I'm not going to favor one of you over the other," Harry replied quickly.

"One hundred Galleons."

"No way, Harry," said Ginny firmly. "I won't accept it! I'll never have enough money to justify it! If you insist on getting me my own vault, which you honestly don't have to do, make it a small one."

Harry sighed, "Alright. What other sizes are there?"

Griphook listed different sizes, and Harry settled on one for twenty Galleons that could fit the fifty thousand Galleons that Ginny had just gotten from the Malfoy-Fudge incident, with a little room to spare. Her parents had insisted that it was her money, although they didn't wanted her splurging it, so she thought it wouldn't be bad to keep it in her own vault. Griphook handed her the key to her new vault, and then asked, "Mr. Potter, do you have the keys to your vaults?"

Harry looked scared, "Er, no. I thought you had them."

"Not to worry, Mr. Potter. We'll just need a drop of your blood, and we can produce new keys, while at the same time causing the existing keys to vanish. It's a service your family chose long ago, just in case they lost their keys. Anyone with Potter blood, which right now is only you, can use this procedure." Griphook turned to the girls. "If you wish, you may have this done for your vaults as well. It will only require a drop of your blood, and until you have children, you'll be the only ones who can get a replacement key."

Both girls agreed, so they all had it done. They would prick their finger with a type of pin and make sure to get a drop of blood in a small silver bowl. Griphook would say an incantation in what was presumably goblin language and clap his hands once, at which point the drop of blood was replaced by a key (or in Harry's case two keys).

They stopped by Hermione's vault, where she deposited twenty Galleons, and then went to the Potter Family Valuables vault. There were various beautiful and expensive things in there, but they didn't have time to spend there. Hermione noticed some books and asked if they could take them with, which Harry agreed to. He forced himself not to focus on anything but getting some of the portkeys.

They were all necklaces with a silver charm that had a picture of the destination carved on one side while a number was on the back. He handed each of the girls a portkey to one on the cottages and said, "I want you both to always wear this, so that you can quickly escape if you're ever in danger." They both reluctantly took it and thanked him. He found the Potter Manor and Shrieking Shack portkeys and put them both on, as well as one that he found that went directly to that vault.

"Harry," said Hermione, "there's a letter in a muggle envelope in here that's addressed to you."

"Really?" Harry walked over to investigate. He took the envelope from Hermione and opened it to find paper in it. It read,

"My dearest Harry,

If you are reading this letter, then it means that both your father and I have died, but somehow you've survived. I left this letter in the vault so it wouldn't be lost. I've instructed Professor Dumbledore to give the key to this vault to you and Sirius immediately if we die. The first thing I want to say is that we both love you more than we ever thought possible, and that if our deaths have somehow allowed you to survive, then we haven't died in vain. You matter more to us than anything, and our only regret is that we weren't around to watch you grow into a man.

We went into hiding to try to protect you from Voldemort. He has targeted you because of a prophecy that was given to Professor Dumbledore. If you don't know about it yet, demand that he show you the memory in his pensieve immediately! His heart is in the right place, but he has a habit of withholding information when he believes it is 'for the greater good.' I can't risk writing it down here, but it is extremely important that you know about it as soon as possible so that you can prepare! We've told everyone that Sirius Black is our secret-keeper, but that's not true. In actuality, Peter Pettigrew is our secret-keeper, and if we are dead, it may be that he has betrayed us. If that happened, then everyone may think Sirius was the traitor. If they arrest him, the truth should come out in his trial when they question him under veritaserum, but if the truth hasn't come out, then tell the authorities about this immediately! Sirius Black is a good man, and shouldn't have to pay for another's crime.

We hope that Sirius Black has survived, stayed out of prison, and raised you. If he has, then I'm sure he's already told you about us. I just want to make sure you know what your father was like from my point of view. When I first met him, I thought he was an arrogant git that half the girls at Hogwarts wanted to date for reasons that I couldn't fathom. He always was handsome, and even as a baby, you appear to have inherited that trait. I eventually came to know him as a good-hearted man who simply enjoyed pulling pranks on the deserving, usually Slytherins.

I used to try to defend his and his friends, "The Marauders," victims until one day he was picking on a Slytherin by the name of Snape. After I defended him, he had the nerve to call me a mudblood. I didn't admit it at the time, but at that moment, I realized that the bigot had it coming. Snape eventually became a Death Eater, although rumor has it, he's working for Professor Dumbledore now. I wonder what the Headmaster's playing at.

Anyway, after that incident, I came to realize that the Marauders actually were bringing justice to people that society was unwilling to punish. When people at school get into a fight, both parties are punished, no matter what it was about. People like Snape who strut around full of themselves insulting others who are only trying to help them deserve to have someone demonstrate that they're not as great as they think. I'll never admit it to your father, but I hope you do the same thing to people like them. After I realized what they were doing, I was more open to his flirting with me, and eventually went out with him. We fell in love, got married, and along came you. James loves you and I more than anything, and he would duel Voldemort himself for either of us.

I, on the other hand, have been more or less a bookworm. More than once I've been called an insufferable know-it-all. I've been accused of memorizing the entire Hogwarts library, but it's not true. There were many books in the restricted section that I didn't have time to read. At least a dozen. What can I say, I think knowledge is very useful, and I love learning. I hope that you inherit that trait, at least partially.

Your father says I'm pretty. Sirius and Remus should have photos of me, as well as your father and our friends, so you can decide for yourself whether I'm pretty. As a muggleborn bookworm who got the best grades in school, I was often the target of pranks by bigots, and when I started dating James Potter, their pranks only increased. Most of the time I was able to defend myself against those idiots who thought that they were automatically more powerful than me simply because of who their parents were. They didn't realize that studying and practicing hexes helps one to be very formidable, and allows one the pleasure of humiliating pureblood bigots.

Please take your studying seriously, but don't forget to enjoy yourself. I'll never understand his obsession over the game, but your father greatly enjoyed quidditch. Maybe you will too. I don't know how old you'll be when you read this letter, but I hope that one day you'll meet a nice girl (whether muggle or witch) that loves you as much as I love your father. I also hope that one day you'll know the joy of fatherhood, and understand how much James and I care for you.

I guess I've rambled on and on, but that's my privilege as your mother. There isn't enough space on this paper or enough words in this language to tell you how much your father and I love you, and I hope you love us too. I don't know what comes after death, but if it's possible, we'll be watching over you.

I will love you forever. Never forget that.

Your mum,

Lily Potter"

Harry was weeping by the time he was done reading the letter. He hugged it to his chest whispering, "You are beautiful," for a moment and set it down. The girls read it together and were both silently weeping by the time they were done. They group-hugged Harry for a few minutes until Harry wiped his eyes and awkwardly said, "Er, sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry for loving your mum, Harry!" said Ginny.

"We're your friends, Harry. You don't have to pretend you don't cry around us," said Hermione.

"I-I need to show this letter to Dumbledore," said Harry with no emotion.

"Harry," said Hermione, "Do you know about this prophecy?"

Harry put his hand on his forehead and swore under his breath. "Yes, but I can't tell anyone about it. What I want to talk to him about is Sirius Black. Dumbledore told me he's in Azkaban right now for betraying them."

"Oh! They need to get him out of there," said Hermione. "I've read that it's an awful place!"

"I'll try to see him later tonight. Maybe I can ask him who this Remus person is while I'm there. If he's still around, maybe he can tell me about my parents. In the meantime, let's get out of here.

They left Gringotts and Harry called out, "Dobby." Dobby appeared, and before he could speak, Harry said, "You're hired!"

Dobby started crying. "You is most kind master. To complete our bond, you is shaking Dobby's hand."

Harry shook Dobby's hand, and there was a bright white glow that surrounded them for a second. "Do you know where my houses are?"

"Yes Master Harry Potter. Bonded elves is knowing where their master's homes is."

"Good. I'd like you to inspect the condition of each of the houses and report to me. By the way, could you not call me master? Just call me Harry."

"I is trying mas-Harry Potter. I is punishing myself for disob…"

"Don't ever punish yourself!" Harry said quickly. He then sighed. "If you feel you've done something wrong, tell me."

"Yes, Harry Potter, sir. Dobby is going now to obey mas-Harry Potter!" Dobby then disappeared.

"Well girls," said Harry, "I'd like to do a bit of shopping before we leave."

-

They walked around Diagon Alley under the cloak except for when they were actually buying things, and it's a good thing too. At one point they walked right past Mrs. Weasley. Ginny nearly freaked out when she saw her mum, but Harry reminded her that they were invisible. After they were a good distance from her, Ginny said, "I wish I had a cloak like this." When Harry asked if she knew where he could buy one, she said she was kidding.

They went to a store that sold magical trunks, and Harry said to the saleslady, "What kind of trunks do you have?"

The dark-haired middle-aged witch glanced at his scar, and then at the girls, and smiled slightly. "Well, we have a wide variety. There are some that have five compartments, each charmed to be twice the capacity of a normal trunk. One of the compartments is longer so that a broomstick can fit in it. They're charmed to weigh ten pounds. We used to have them weightless, but it got unwanted attention from muggles. They're forty Galleons each. There are also options that can be added for more gold. We also have more advanced trunks, some of which can even be used as a furnished apartment."

Harry looked at his companions. "Would you like one of those?"

"If you're sure…" said Ginny.

"Of course I'm sure."

"Then I would."

"How about you, Hermione?" asked Harry.

"Well, it would help to hold my books…"

"Ok, I'd like two of those, and I'd like to hear about that apartment trunk."

The saleslady smiled. "Well, it's exactly like the other trunk, except that it has a sixth compartment. When you open that one, a staircase appears, and you can walk down into it to find a room. The cheapest just has the one room. A kitchen, bathroom, and as many bedrooms as you want can be added."

"How much for one with a kitchen, bathroom, and three bedrooms?" asked Harry.

"No," said Hermione.

"One hundred and ninety Galleons."

"Alright," said Harry, "I'll take one. You mentioned options," said Harry.

The witch, who was obviously getting commission, was now very happy. "Yes, we have security features that can hide the extra compartments from other people, so that the trunk looks like an ordinary one. We can also charm it so that only the owner can open the trunk. We can shield the trunk so that it can't be broken into by anything short of the killing curse. We can also add a feature that allows it to be shrunk down to a wallet. The first two options are five Galleons; the third is ten; the last is fifteen."

Before the girls could object, Harry said, "We'll take all the options on all three trunks."

"Excellent," said the witch. "That'll be three hundred seventy-five Galleons plus the ministry's six point seven percent tax. That makes it an even four hundred Galleons."

The girls stared at Harry as he said, "Alright."

"Excellent," said the saleslady. "Now all you have to do is choose the colors."

Harry's trunk was black, Hermione's was orange, and Ginny's was purple. Harry also chose the basic color scheme for the furnished apartment inside his trunk. He was going to have black carpet and furniture (the sheets and blankets for the bed) with white walls, but he let the girls sway him into choosing burgundy instead of black.

After he paid for the trunks, they each had to supply a drop of blood for the security charm on their trunk. When they'd finished that, each of them shrunk their trunk by grabbing the handle and saying, "Shrink." The trunk shrank into the handle, so that they were still holding the trunk a second later when it appeared to be an empty wallet except for an identification number and a request to mail it to an address if found.

"Muggle mail goes to that address. If anyone besides you is holding it, they'll get an overwhelming desire to return it to the owner, so they'll mail it here, and we'll contact you. By the way, you can bring the trunk back here to add any new features you decide you want."

After that, they went to Flourish and Blotts, where Harry stipulated that he'd buy each girl the same amount of books. Harry was amused watch Hermione keep trying to convince Ginny that she needed one more book. In the end he bought ten books each for the girls (including getting Ginny a copy of the book he was using in his advanced defense class), along with five books on defense for himself. After they'd put their purchases in their new trunks (and shrunk them back), they got ice cream cones at Fortescue's and took them out of site so they could enjoy them in peace. When they were done eating, Harry said, "I'd like to go to the Shrieking Shack now if you don't mind. It's near Hogsmeade, so we might be able to walk back to Hogwarts from there." He took off the correct necklace and said, "Grab onto this portkey." When they were all holding it, Harry said, "Activate Shrieking Shack."

They felt a pull from beneath their navels, and before long they had landed in a heap inside an old abandoned shack with broken furniture. They quickly got up and stood perfectly still, waiting for some horrid ghost to appear. After nothing happened for five minutes, Harry said, "I think it's safe to move. It doesn't seem like there's any ghosts in here at all."

"But people have heard screams coming from here," said Ginny.

"Well," said Hermione, "I don't know what caused the screams in the past, but nothing scary is in here now. There's a door. Why don't we try it?"

Despite how safe they said they were, all three of them had their wands out when they opened the door. They walked out, Harry in front, and walked down the stairs and followed a long passage. When they reached an exit, Harry poked his head out for a few seconds, and pulled it in fast. "We're under the Whomping Willow!" he exclaimed.

"Oh dear," said Hermione, "How will we get out of here?"

"I don't know," said Harry, "But if this passage was built here, there has to be a way."

"Of course," said Hermione, "The tree is a guardian of this passage. There has to be a way to stop the tree from moving so that we can exit safely! Harry, feel around for something to stop it, like a button."

"A button?" said Ginny skeptically.

"Do you have a better solution?" asked Hermione.

"No," admitted Ginny. "By the time we could cast a spell on the tree, we'd already be hit."

Harry moved his hand along the outside of the hole until he found a knot in the tree. As soon as he touched that knot, he noticed that the tree stopped moving. "This is it!" he said excitedly, "Come on!"

They got out from the hole, keeping an eye on the tree, just in case it moved, and walked out of its reach. "Well that was scary," said Hermione. "We should get back under the cloak before we're seen."

They successfully snuck back into the castle and took off the cloak inside an empty room. They walked into the Great Hall to find that lunch was still being served. Ginny said, "Fred and George are staring at us."

Harry and Hermione looked toward the twins, and they turned back to their plates. At that moment, Dobby appeared behind Harry and bowed low. "Dobby is inspecting mast…Harry Potter's homes and is reporting."

Harry turned his attention toward his house elf. "Hello Dobby. What did you find?"

"The houses is in need of cleaning and is having infestations of boggarts and doxies and such. Dobby is leaving from here to be taking care of it if Harry Potter is wanting Dobby to. The houses is being good as new when Dobby is finishing."

Harry smiled. "That sounds wonderful, Dobby…"

"Hey scarhead!" shouted Malfoy as he approached them. "What are you doing with my worthless house elf?"

The elf defiantly said, "Dobby is no longer working for the Malfoys! They is bad wizards! Mrs. Malfoy is giving Dobby clothes when Dobby is showing aurors the bad things they is hiding! Dobby isn't caring! Dobby is now working for the great Harry Potter!"

"What!" screamed Malfoy. "Bash your head against the wall for speaking to me like that, slave!"

"Dobby," said Harry politely, "Would you send Malfoy to the Slytherin common room?"

Dobby smiled, "Yes, Harry Potter, sir!" He snapped his fingers and Draco disappeared.

At that moment, Snape walked up and snarled at Harry. "What are you doing with one of the filthy vermin that work in the kitchens?"

"I'm afraid you're mistaken, Professor Snape," said Harry calmly, infuriating the greasy git, "Dobby is in my employ. He was delivering an important message to me."

"Is that so?" snarled Snape.

Snape stared into Harry's eyes, and Harry could feel his attempt at legilimency. Ginny and Hermione watched, fully aware of what was happening. While Harry stared fiercely back at Snape, the git's face was getting redder and redder as he was getting more and more frustrated. Harry smiled and said, "You'll have to try harder than that to read my mind."

"Fifty points from Gryffindor, and a week's worth of detentions!" shouted Snape.

"What for?" asked Harry.

"For your cheek!" growled Snape.

Harry calmly said, "No. I'm going to take this up with the headmaster. I'll show him this memory of your attempt to invade my mind in his pensieve and see who he thinks should be punished. Hermione, Ginny, would you come with me as witnesses to see Professor Dumbledore?"

Both girls stood up with him and started walking toward the head table. "Fine!" shouted Snape. "I'll let you off, this time!"

Snape turned around and started walking away from them when Harry heard Malfoy's voice shout, "Tarantallegra!"

Harry wasted no time grabbing his wand and shouting, "Protego," as he turned to see where Malfoy was standing with his wand pointed.

The silver light that was coming from Draco's wand dissolved when it hit Harry's shield.

"Mr. Malfoy!" shouted McGonagall's voice, "I saw that! Fifty points from Slytherin for that disgraceful attack on Mr. Potter, and a week's worth of detention cleaning the floors with Mr. Filch!"

At that moment, Lockhart walked up to Harry and said arrogantly, "Excellent shield, Mr. Potter! No doubt you've been reading my biography, 'Magical Me,' and learned the shield from that book. I've been thinking about forming a dueling club, and would like you to be my assistant. It would certainly help your reputation here."

Harry stared at that idiot incredulously for a few seconds before replying, "No. No thank you professor. I'm not interested."

Gilderoy chuckled, "I can understand your nervousness about assisting someone of my reputation, but I assure you, I'll train you personally so you don't make a fool of yourself at the club."

Harry said stiffly, "You misunderstood me. I'm not interested in attending the club at all, sir."

Lockhart seemed shocked. He gave Harry what he thought was a threatening look. "If you feel that you have no need to learn proper dueling from me, perhaps we can have a friendly duel tonight. If you last for two minutes, you don't have to attend the club, and get fifty points extra credit in my class. If you don't, then you must be my assistant in the dueling club."

Harry smiled and reached out his hand toward Lockhart. "You're on."

The teacher paled, but nervously shook Harry's hand. McGonagall, who'd watched the conversation, said with a smile forming on the corners of her mouth, "Excellent! I'll make sure the headmaster reserves the hall for this. It should be most educational. Perhaps right after dinner."

Harry could swear he saw Lockhart's face turn blue. "Right then," said Lockhart, and he rushed out of the room.

-

A half hour later, Harry was sitting in the common room with Hermione and Ginny when Fred and George walked up to them. "Where were you before lunch?" said Fred.

"We know you weren't on the grounds anywhere," said George.

"And then you came out of the Whomping Willow," said Fred.

All three paled. Ginny finally said defiantly, "How do you know that?"

"That's beside the point," said George.

"We just know," said Fred.

Hermione said, "You don't care that we broke the rules. Why do you…Of course! You want to know how we did it so you can try the same thing." The twins' ears both went pink.

Harry said calmly, realizing they wouldn't turn them in, "We went to Diagon Alley. Dobby, my house elf, took us there. I had some business at Gringotts and then we did a little shopping. That reminds me, I need to see Dumbledore." Harry got up and walked out the door headed toward the headmaster's office.

-

Please review. Thank you for all the kind words that have been said already about this story.