Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dumbledore Answers Harry by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dumbledore Answers Harry

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J. K. Rowling, not me.

Dumbledore Answers Harry - Chapter 30 - The Triwizard Tournament Begins

"Can you believe that security?" complained Ginny as she sat down on the Hogwarts Express. "I thought they were going to have us strip-searched." She turned her gaze out the window, where a bad storm was raging.

"Minister Bones just wants to make sure that there are no Death Eaters at Hogwarts this term," said Hermione, "and I don't blame her."

"It did seem a bit excessive," said Harry, "but with Voldemort out there we can't be too careful."

"I agree with checking everybody for the Dark Mark," said Ron, "But to have Ministry people doing rounds instead of prefects seems a bit much."

Neville looked at Ron like he'd grown a third eyebrow. "Don't you remember last January when the Death Eaters stopped the train?"

"I suppose," said Ron, who, unlike everyone else in the compartment, was still standing. "I'm gonna go find Lavender." He then walked out the door, closing it behind him.

"I guess he wants a good snog," said Ginny with a grin.

"I wonder how much security the people from the other schools will have to go through next month," said Hermione thoughtfully.

"Probably a lot more than us since they're foreign," said Neville.

"I'm just surprised that we're having the tournament at Hogwarts," said Ginny. "Actually," she added, "It's a bit disappointing. Instead of watching seven Quidditch games, we only get to watch three events. And only one person from all of Hogwarts gets to participate instead of twenty-eight."

"I hate the age restriction," said Harry with a neutral expression.

"Well, then I'm glad for it," said Hermione. "You've had enough adventures without getting involved in something like that."

"But Hermione," he argued, "This would be right up my alley, and for once, it wouldn't involve Voldemort."

"You're too young," she argued.

"But I did better at my O.W.L.s than anybody at the school. You can't deny that." She remained silent. "I think it would be fun."

"Me, too," said Ginny. Neville didn't appear to agree, but wisely kept his mouth shut to avoid arguing with his girlfriend.

Harry, on the other hand, had a bit of a dreamy expression on his face. "I'd like to enter."

"Harry! You can't…" said Hermione, with a worried look on her face.

"If I can find a way to submit my name, I will," he said firmly.

"You'll do great," said Ginny. "I'll bet you win."

"Harry, you can't," Hermione repeated. "It's against the rules."

Her boyfriend took a deep breath to calm down a bit. He looked her in the eyes. "Do you honestly believe that any seventh year at Hogwarts is better at defense than me?"

She looked uncomfortable. "Er, well…"

"And don't you think that training for the tournament would be good for our independent study?"

"Um…" She seemed to be squirming in her chair. He put his hands on his girlfriend's shoulders, without losing eye contact.

"If I manage to get in the tournament, will you be mad at me?"

She looked down, breaking eye contact as she seemed to be contemplating that question. After about five seconds, she answered softly. "I won't be happy about it, but if you want to enter the tournament that badly, I won't try to stop you, and I won't be mad. Just don't ask for my help to enter."

He smiled and gave her a quick kiss. "I wouldn't dream of asking you for help in rule-breaking. However, you will help me train if I do manage it, won't you?"

She smiled and shrugged her shoulders. "Of course. Like you suggested, it would help us focus on our N.E.W.T. training this year. Besides, I do want the Hogwarts champion to win, no matter who it ends up being." She then put a hand on his cheek. "What's more, I'm glad you talked about it now rather than after you're chosen. I would've been furious if that happened."

He looked flabbergasted. "But I thought it was easier to gain forgiveness than permission."

"Not from me," she said with a smirk.

-

"Y'know," commented Harry as he was riding on a thestral-drawn carriage in the heavy rain, "it really seems strange to not have anyone pestering us on the Hogwarts express. He looked at each of his companions - Hermione, Neville, Ginny and Luna, who they'd run into when they exited the train. Ron and Lavender were attached at the lips on the carriage in front of them.

"Yes it is," agreed Hermione. "I think that last January's incident eliminated everyone willing to show support to Voldemort. If anybody left is sympathetic to his cause, they know better than to get in a fight with you."

"Not to mention that the larquats have left the Hogwarts Express," added Luna.

Ignoring Luna's statement, Neville asked, "Will Potter's Army still be patrolling the halls?"

Harry looked thoughtful for a moment. "I don't think it'll be necessary with the aurors stationed at the school, but if trouble does break out, we'll start back up, but we'll get a new name."

"Why?" asked Hermione with a smirk. "I like the name."

"I don't," he replied.

"But you're the one who started it," said Ginny. "And you're our leader."

"And I say it needs a different name," Harry said triumphantly, just as the carriage stopped. They dismounted and walked toward the school.

Suddenly, two voices ahead of them called out in shock and anger, "Peeves!"

"You were already wet! Didn't do nothing," the poltergeist called out happily as he looked for another victim. He was holding a bag full of water balloons.

"What happened?" asked Hermione, causing Ron and Lavender to turn toward them. The right side of Ron's head and the left side of Lavender's was drenched and red. It was obvious that they'd been kissing and got hit with a water balloon where their faces met.

"He got us with one of those bloody water balloons. That's what," said Ron angrily. "He's a bloody menace!"

-

As they made their way into the Great Hall, Harry noticed two things. First, it appeared that Dumbledore had re-hired Filch this year. He'd hoped that Mindy Weaver, who had replaced Filch after he'd been petrified and stayed on for the rest of the previous year, would have kept the job. Apparently, she didn't. Argus Filch was back, looking as venomous as ever, and had a cat that looked just like a younger version of Mrs. Norris. The other thing he noticed was a man sitting at the staff table that he'd met before. He noticed that he was very scarred up, and a piece of his nose was missing. However, the strangest thing about this man was that one of his eyes wasn't natural. It was bigger than the other and electric blue in color, and it spun around crazily.

"Look who's here," said Harry, pointing at him.

"It's rude to point," Hermione said as they sat down at the Gryffindor table. "and I suspect that he's the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"That eye of his always gives me the creeps," said Ginny. "I'm glad we won't have to go to his class."

"Quiet," said Neville. "It looks like the sorting's about to begin."

When Harry looked, he saw that Professor McGonagall had indeed placed the hat on a stool, and there were a bunch of nervous firsties staring at it. They looked soaking wet. The smallest of them looked completely drenched, and was wearing what appeared to be Hagrid's moleskin overcoat. Harry wondered if the kid had fallen in the lake.

Colin Creevey looked like he was trying to get Harry's attention before the hat began its song.

"It's time for the sorting

But first may I say

This year will be different

For he that will play

Whoever's selected

May feel they're alone

Yet among their housemates

This feeling is gone

If brave like a Gryffindor

He'll beat every foe

Perhaps clever Ravenclaw

Will prevail, although

It may be that Hufflepuff

Works hardest to win

But a tricky Slytherin

Has more ambition

Four houses - one Hogwarts

We must all unite

Against all our enemies

Together we fight"

"The hat must know about the Tournament," whispered Harry.

"It does stay in Dumbledore's office, so it's bound to overhear a few things," responded Hermione as names started being called.

It wasn't long until Harry realized why Colin had been trying to get his attention. The fifth person called was named Dennis Creevey. He turned out to be the one wearing Hagrid's coat. Now that Harry got a better look at him, he did look like a younger version of Colin, with the same mousy hair. He figured they had to be brothers. The hat announced that Dennis was a, "GRYFFINDOR!" When the boy got to their table, both of Harry's suspicions - him being Colin's brother and falling in the lake - were confirmed.

Once the sorting was finished, Dumbledore began the feast, during which Nearly Headless Nick informed them that Peeves had been causing trouble for the elves in the kitchens. Hermione, who knew that elves loved working, started berating the mischievous poltergeist for being so cruel.

"Now that we are all fed and watered, I'll like to introduce you to our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Moody," said Dumbledore once the plates had disappeared. Harry noticed that the applause for the new teacher was minimal.

Dumbledore went on to announce the new items on Filch's list of forbidden objects, and then that the Triwizard Tournament was going to be held. Harry and his friends weren't surprised at this, nor at the announcement of the age restriction. However, neither Harry nor the Weasley twins had any intention of letting something as silly as a new rule stop them.

-

The next morning, when Harry arrived in the Common Room, he saw Hermione staring at the bulletin board with disgust. He walked up to it, and it didn't take long for him to discover what was upsetting her. The Weasley twins were offering jobs of product testers to kids.

"It's times like this I wish I were a prefect!" said Hermione, for the first time acknowledging her boyfriend's presence.

He sighed. "When you were a first-year, would you have volunteered to test their products?"

She turned quickly from the sign to face him. "Of course not, Harry. I was never…"

"That stupid?" Harry finished. "You see, Hermione. Any kid who takes that job has no excuse. They're all old enough to know better." She seemed to relax a bit and began walking with him toward a couch. "Besides, I don't think Fred and George would hurt any of them."

Hermione sighed. "I suppose not. I just wish the Weasley twins wouldn't…"

"What about my brothers?" asked Ginny, who'd just come downstairs.

"They've got an ad over there," Harry replied as he pointed.

Ginny quickly read it and smiled. "Oh, good. They're going to test our products before offering them for sale."

"Our products?" repeated a shocked-looking Hermione. Ginny's face turned pale. "What do you mean, our products?"

"Er, well," she said, looking down. "I, er, didn't want to tell anyone right now, but I suppose I can tell you." She looked up and leaned toward Harry and Hermione conspiratorially. She whispered, "I invested 1,000 Galleons in their business a week ago."

"What?" exclaimed Hermione.

"Shhhh!" said Ginny.

Harry grinned at his friend. "Hmm. That sounds like a good idea. Too bad I didn't think of it."

"Harry!" whispered Hermione.

"Don't worry," he whispered back. "I think 1,000 Galleons is more than enough for them. I won't give them more money."

"Good," said Hermione, who then turned to Ginny. "Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

"Of course, Hermione. Making jokes is the only thing those two work hard at, and so I think they'll make a fortune. Now they have to give me thirty percent," she added with a large grin. "They're planning on perfecting their products this year and determining what the average Hogwarts student wants in their joke shop. Once they've got enough products ready, they'll place an order in the Daily Prophet. They figure they'll be running the mail order store by January. They'll become adults in April, so they'll be able to get premises by the time the school year gets out. They plan to open up their shop on July first. I'm making sure they give me a copy of all their financial stuff so they can't cheat me."

-

The next few weeks went by quickly. Harry, Hermione and Ginny were working very hard on their N.E.W.T. Defense studying, especially because Harry intended to participate in the tournament. Professor Flitwick had agreed to tutor them all for one hour per week, mainly to test their progress. Dumbledore had given them a syllabus that condensed the D.A.D.A. N.E.W.T. studies down to one year, and the Charms teacher who had once been a dueling champion would test them on what they were supposed to have learned. He had suggested requesting additional help from Professor Moody, but they were reluctant to do that. They were glad they hadn't consulted Moody when Neville told them that Mad-Eye had shown the fourth-year classes the three unforgivable curses, and mentioned that Harry was the only known survivor of the Killing Curse. Hermione was outraged.

"How could he?" she exclaimed.

"I'm glad we weren't there," said Harry. "I wouldn't want to watch him do that, even if it was to spiders."

"I'll bet Ron couldn't stand it," said Ginny, "with the way he feels about them." She then looked at her boyfriend, who was telling them about it, with concern. "Are you alright, Neville?"

Looking down nervously, he said, "Yeah. I'm fine."

"Good," said Ginny with a fake smile. She got up and took his arm. "Why don't we take a walk? We could use some alone time."

"Sure."

As the couple walked off, Harry thought that had been a very tactful way to get Neville alone to talk about his feelings from watching the cruciatus curse performed.

-

A few days later, Mad-Eye did approach Harry and ask him to lead a dueling club like the one he'd assisted in for the past few years, after congratulating him on his O.W.L. score that he'd heard about. He'd be the staff sponsor, but would leave the running of the club to Harry's discretion. He happily agreed and started meetings the next week.

-

Before long, it was September 19th, Hermione's fifteenth birthday. Harry had arranged a private, romantic dinner for just the two of them, followed by a small surprise party in an unused classroom. Hermione made sure to show Harry just how much she appreciated it in a broom closet later that day.

That was also the day that the Daily Prophet reported that Igor Karkaroff, the former headmaster of Durmstrang that had disappeared right after You-Know-Who's return, was found dead with a Dark Mark over his body. The article further stated that he was a former Death Eater who'd turned in several Death Eaters after the first war had ended to get out of Azkaban.

-

A few weeks later, Harry received a note from Professor Dumbledore during breakfast that said,

Harry,

If it's convenient, would you meet with me in my office at eight o'clock this evening? You may bring Miss Granger and Miss Weasley as well.

Albus Dumbledore

P.S. I recently took a liking to the muggle candy bar known as Snickers.

Therefore, the trio found themselves standing outside of the headmaster's office, having correctly used the password `Snickers' to persuade the gargoyle to move.

"Come in. Come in," called Dumbledore's voice as the door opened of its own accord. "Good evening, Mr. Potter, Miss Granger and Miss Weasley."

"Good evening, sir," said Harry. The others wished him a pleasant night as well, and then the aged professor invited them to sit down.

"Would any of you like a lemon drop?" he offered.

"No thanks," said Harry and Hermione, while Ginny took one and popped one in her mouth.

"The reason why I called you three here is because I feel that you deserve the right to know that I believe that I've discovered the location of another Horcrux."

"Can we go with you to get it?" asked Harry before he could help himself.

Albus smiled at the trio, all of whom were eagerly awaiting his answer. "I don't believe that any of your parents," he turned to Harry, "or guardians will have any objection to my taking you on a small field trip to this location," he said, surprising all three of them. "Especially since they've escorted you to this location themselves many times."

Harry's eyes bulged out. "Where?"

-

Platform Nine and Three Quarters, although very busy six days per year, was deserted for the rest of the time. It had been over a month since any human set foot there. The sign was still there, as was the empty track.

Suddenly, the air was disturbed as four figures materialized, all of them holding onto a length of rope. Because of his frequent portkey use over the past few years, Harry managed to stay on his feet, as did the others.

Dumbledore pulled his wand out, and the others followed his example. "Now, I want you all to begin scanning everything here for dark magic. If you find any, let me know immediately and don't touch it."

As Harry began his scanning, he asked, "Professor, do you really think he would hide a Horcrux here where anyone could find it?"

"Could they, Harry?" the wizened old man asked. "It's been a long time since I've ridden the train, but back when I used to, this platform was crowded with people trying to board the Hogwarts Express. None of them were interested in searching for dark artifacts. The rest of the year, it's completely abandoned, so he could have hidden it any time he wanted."

"I suppose," said Harry as he continued moving around, scanning the sidewalk.

"Ah hah," said Dumbledore. "I believe that I've found it." He was pointing his wand at the sign that said Hogwarts Express, yet didn't show any time of departure.

"You detected dark magic in the sign?" questioned Hermione.

"No," he calmly replied. "I detected no magic at all."

"Then how…"

"Yet I know for a fact that there is magic operating within the sign that tells it whenever the train will be arriving or leaving. You see, I made this sign."

Harry muttered, "You did," but was not heard because Hermione spoke more loudly.

"So the absence of a magical signature indicates that someone suppressed it, and the only reason to suppress it, is if you didn't want a magical object that didn't belong there to be detected," she said.

"Exactly," said Dumbledore while Harry worked out what his girlfriend had explained.

"So Tom didn't want a simple scan for threats to reveal his Horcrux," said Ginny.

"I would like you all to step back and put up your strongest shield while I attempt to dismantle the sign."

They did as they were told, and soon the front of the six-inch-thick sign was gone, revealing a small area upon which were carved runes that obviously controlled the sign's display. Lying down inside there was what appeared to be a large black feather. The old man looked closely and said, "Oh my. It looks like Ravenclaw's Quill," before a strong wind pushed him back ten feet, causing him to fall swiftly toward the floor. The others felt a strong breeze coming from the sign, but were not knocked off their feet because they were far enough away.

Fortunately, Harry had enough presence of mind to cause the air element to stop the headmaster from injuring himself, and instead he was floating about a foot off the ground when a purple beam of light hit the spot where Albus would have landed. Harry moved him to a far corner and lowered him gently.

"Harry!"

He heard his girlfriend shout his name, so the Boy-Who-Lived turned in time to see a dark purple beam of light originating from the sign shooting straight at his gut. He dived to the ground, narrowly avoiding the curse, although he'd later discover a hole in his robes where the spell passed through. He noticed the girls moving around as well to avoid spells, so he used wind to move the sign so that the part shooting at them was facing the ground, where spells were still being shot at. Harry carefully moved the quill away from the sign, and then let both drop to the ground.

He turned to see that Hermione was already checking on the headmaster, who was conscious, though winded. In the meantime, Ginny was using her elemental ability to produce a fire more powerful than Fiendfyre, yet completely under her control. They all heard a loud scream as the quill/Horcrux was burned to ashes.

"Very good," said Dumbledore, while breathing heavily. "I suppose that I'm not as young as I used to be. You should burn the sign, too. It would be too dangerous to attempt repair. It appears that I'll have to build a new sign. Fortunately, I have a few months in which to do it."

Harry then helped the headmaster up. Once all four of them were together, Harry levitated the rope to right in front of them, and they all grabbed it together for the return trip, after which Hermione insisted that Dumbledore see Madam Pomfrey, which he promised to do.

-

They found out the next day that the headmaster was none-the-worse for wear. After that, time seemed to go by swiftly, and so far there hadn't been any trouble in the school, so Potter's Army wasn't patrolling. Before long, it was October 30th, and the representatives of the two foreign schools had arrived. Everyone had been impressed with Beauxbatons' flying carriage as well as Durmstrang's ship.

The headmaster of Durmstrang was a man named Ludwig Chekov. He had short jet-black hair with a well-trimmed beard that was just beginning to gray. The Beauxbatons students were seated with the Ravenclaws while the Durmstrangs were at the Slytherin table. Ron had been excited that Krum had been among the visiting students, but Harry was a bit upset when he noticed Viktor looking at Hermione.

"Harry," said Hermione, who was sitting next to Harry at the feast. "Do you see that boy from Beauxbatons?"

"Who, Krum?" he said.

"No, not Krum," she said. "That one over there." She pointed at a tall boy with long blonde hair in a ponytail that was sitting at the Ravenclaw table with the other Beauxbatons students. He turned away quickly.

"What about him?"

"He was glaring at you a moment ago."

Before Harry could respond, he saw a French girl with silver blonde hair walk up to their table and ask Ron for some foreign food that was in front of him. He grinned when he saw the spaced out look on the redhead's face.

"Ron's in love," declared Ginny when the girl walked away. Ron turned red while the others laughed.

"I am not," he said while still hiding his face. "That girl is a Veela."

Dumbledore then explained that the Goblet of Fire would be the impartial judge, and that he would be drawing an age line around it to prevent younger students from submitting their names. Harry overheard the Weasley twins talking about an aging potion, but figured that Dumbledore wouldn't be fooled by that.

"Are you still going to try and enter?" whispered Hermione.

He nodded his head as he muttered, "Yeah, if I can think of something."

"Well," she said, shrugging her shoulders. "I hope you're not successful, but I'll help you as much as I can if you are."

He turned to look her in the eyes. "Thanks. You're really amazing." He then kissed her for a few seconds. When they separated, he glanced at Krum to see him glaring back. Harry grinned and Viktor turned his head.

-

That night, at around 3 a.m., using his invisibility cloak, Harry snuck down to the Great Hall holding a piece of muggle paper he'd pulled out of notebook in his trunk. He wasn't entirely convinced that parchment would work for what he had in mind. He wasn't sure precisely what to put on the paper, so he simply wrote `Harry Potter - Hogwarts' on it. He approached the age line and made sure that his feet didn't touch it.

He got his right arm out of the cloak (he didn't want to be identified if he was spotted out after curfew) and moved his hand into position to throw the paper that he'd folded into an airplane. He'd been practicing aiming it for hours. He threw it straight toward the blue flames of the goblet and watched it soar. It went right into the flame and continued soaring to the other side of the line, although it had caught fire. He quickly ran to it and stomped out the flame. He picked up the still-hot paper and unfolded it to see that his name was still intact, although the edges of the paper were burned so that it couldn't fly as a plane anymore. He had brought extra paper with him, but he didn't really want to let that sheet go to waste. He crumbled the paper into a ball and tossed it. It landed perfect in the goblet and Harry saw it burning as it got in. He released the breath he'd been holding and pumped his arm in victory.

"What do we have here?" came Mr. Filch's voice. Harry quickly turned, to see the caretaker, along with his new cat, whom Harry had learned was named Mrs. Philips. He was glad that most of him was still under the cloak and quickly got his right arm inside and began moving quickly, but quietly.

"I know you're in here, even if you've got an invisibility cloak. Go find the student that's out of bed, my sweet."

Harry didn't waste time to look if the cat was on his trail as he raced out the door and to the nearest secret passage toward the Slytherin dormitory, not wanting to get Gryffindor into trouble. As he was running, he pulled out his wand. First, he cast a silencing spell on his shoes, and then he turned to see Mrs. Philips in hot pursuit. He stuck his wand out and stunned her. Then he silently ran off. He heard Filch scream in anger just before he was out of earshot. He waited until he was safely inside his common room before he laughed. He'd enjoyed hexing that cat!

-

The next day, Harry slept a bit later than usual, but it was a Saturday, so it didn't matter. His roommates had already left for breakfast, so he hurried up and changed so that he could eat something before the food was gone. He arrived at the Great Hall just in time to see the Weasley twins on the floor growing long, white beards. He looked at his girlfriend, who said, "Good morning, sleepy-head. Those two just tried using an aging potion."

Harry laughed. "I knew that wouldn't work."

"It was rather dim-witted," Hermione agreed. She then lowered her voice while Dumbledore was complimenting their beards. "Did you get your name in?"

He nodded with a neutral expression. His girlfriend gave him an appraising look. "Professor Dumbledore announced that someone assaulted Mrs. Philips last night. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

He chuckled and Hermione glared at him. "Harry!" she hissed.

After looking around to make sure no one was paying attention to him, he controlled himself enough to whisper, "All I did was stun her when she was chasing me."

"That's all?" she said with a smile. "The way Filch was acting, it seemed like you'd crucio'd her."

"So," asked Harry, still smiling, "Who else has entered the tournament?"

"Well, I saw Angelina Johnson, Cedric Diggory from Hufflepuff, a Slytherin 7th year I don't know, and everyone from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. There are still several hours before the Halloween Feast, not to mention anybody that snuck in here last night." She winked at him.

-

The rest of the day passed uneventfully. Harry and Hermione spent most of the day studying for classes, and Harry was happy for the break when it was time for the Halloween feast. When they were done eating, Dumbledore gave a small speech, and then the goblet sent the first name out. Albus caught it and said, "The champion for Durmstrang will be Viktor Krum." Viktor shook Dumbledore's hand and left the room. When the next name came out, he said, "The champion for Beauxbatons is Fleur Delacour." She shook Albus' hand and left the room. Finally, the third paper came out of the Goblet of Fire. "And the Hogwarts champion is…" He paused, looking a bit worried before reading, "…Harry Potter."

Harry grinned as he gave Hermione's hand a squeeze. She squeezed his hand back. He saw looks of admiration from Fred, George, Ginny, and most members of his dueling club as he got up. He knew that others, including Ron, who was glaring at him, weren't happy, but then again, how often was everybody pleased with him? He walked up to Dumbledore, ignoring the murmuring coming from the crowd. He didn't notice the extremely flabbergasted look on the French boy Hermione had pointed out to him the day before.

He took the paper he recognized from the night before from the headmaster, who was frowning at him, although he had a slight twinkle in his eye. He shook Albus' hand and began walking toward the room where Fleur and Viktor had disappeared to. Before he reached the door, however, he heard collective gasps. He turned to see Dumbledore catch another sheet of paper and decided to wait until he heard the name of the fourth champion.

"Harry Potter," muttered the wizened old man.

"What?" asked Harry, with a confused expression on his face, as he began walking back.

The headmaster cleared his throat. "Harry Potter's name has come out a second time." The blue flame from the goblet died. Harry stood rooted to the spot until Dumbledore turned toward him, looking just as confused as the teenager felt. A quick glance from the aged professor told Harry to go into the room with the other champions.

"What? You cannot be ze `Ogwarts champion. You are just a little boy," said Fleur as he entered, followed by Dumbledore, with Mad-Eye, McGonagall, Madam Maxime, Professor Chekov, Barty Crouch, and Ludo Bagman following behind.

Dumbledore looked Harry in the eyes. "Did you put your name in the goblet of fire?"

"Yes, sir," he answered confidently.

"How?"

"I crumbled the paper up into a ball and tossed it in," he answered with a smirk. Dumbledore paled.

"Surely something as simple as that couldn't get past Dumbledore's age line," said Crouch arrogantly.

"I'm afraid that it did, Mr. Crouch. I prevented any object propelled by magic to cross the line, but failed to consider the muggle way of doing things. I must say that was an excellent shot, Harry."

"Thanks."

"The more important question is this; how many times did you put your name in?"

"Just the once," said Harry firmly. "I don't know why it came out again. I didn't even know it's possible."

"It's not supposed to be," said Moody.

"But it is quite extraordinary," commented Bagman enthusiastically.

"What iz to be done about it?" said Maxime. Harry noticed that she didn't seem upset about his name coming out. He figured that she believed that having a fourth-year compete would increase Fleur's odds of winning.

"The rules are absolute," said Crouch. "Mr. Potter will have to somehow compete twice."

"I vill not `ave `im scored twice!" shouted Maxime indignantly at that suggestion. Now she was upset.

"I quite agree!" said Chekov.

"What if," suggested Bagman, "he faces twice the…challenge in each event?" Dumbledore looked scared for a moment, while the other two headmasters looked happy.

"But he receives scores just the once?" clarified Chekov.

Dumbledore said, "Mr. Krum, Miss Delacour, and Mr. Potter, could you please wait outside?"

The walked outside, and the door was closed and silenced immediately. Fleur faced Harry. "How could you possibly believe zat you can compete, even if you are clever enough to get past ze age line? You are just a little boy and could get killed, even if you are ze Boy-Who-Lived."

Harry didn't like being called a little boy. "Because last semester I took the Defense Against the Dark Arts O.W.L. and got the highest score since Dumbledore. Because I run a dueling club and have beaten several seventh-years in demonstration duels. Because I've actually faced Death Eaters, not to mention Voldemort himself."

"You vrun a dueling club?" asked Viktor. "Vould it be alright if I attend?"

"Sure," he said, "as long as you sign a magically binding contract that you'll never help Voldemort. It's hexed so that if you break the contract, you will regret it," he said seriously. "I don't want to train Death Eaters."

"I do not know vhat you have heard about my school, but I am no Death Eater, and vill gladly sign this contract."

"I'm glad to hear it," Harry said evenly. He was forcing himself to behave professionally and not hate Krum simply because he might be interested in Hermione. "Our next meeting is tomorrow night right after dinner." He turned to Fleur. "You're welcome to come as well. Both of you can tell your classmates that they're invited, too, as long as they can sign that agreement."

At that moment, the door opened, revealing Professor Dumbledore. The others were behind him. "It has been decided that Mr. Potter will face each challenge once, but it will be twice the challenge that the others face for the first two events. However, the third task can't be made more challenging than it already is, so Mr. Potter will simply face it like everyone else. His scores will not be doubled for the first two events. I realize that it's not fair to you, Harry, but the others were adamant."

Taking a deep breath to control his temper at that news, he said, "I know you did your best."

"That I did," he answered.

Barty Crouch then said, "The first task will take place on November the twenty-fourth, in front of the other students and the panel of judges. Since it is designed to test your daring, we will not be telling you what it is, except that Mr. Potter will be facing twice as great a threat." After a few more details were explained, the champions were dismissed.

-

Harry found a party in Gryffindor tower that he happily participated in. When asked how he entered twice, he told them, "I only entered once, and that was by tossing a wadded up paper ball into the goblet. I don't know how my name came out a second time." The rest of the room didn't seem to hear the last part of his statement as they clapped their hands, praising him for his genius. The Weasley twins seemed upset that they hadn't thought of it.

"That's all you had to do?" asked Hermione. "How could the headmaster have overlooked something that simple?"

"I guess he wasn't thinking like a muggle," said Harry, causing the crowd to burst into laughter.

After he explained that he was facing twice what the others were for the same amount of points, it seemed that all of Gryffindor was outraged, but none more than Hermione.

"That's totally unfair!" she exclaimed. "You're doing twice the work for the same prize. I know you could win the tournament normally, but now…"

"Now I'll just do the best that I can."

-

Ron wasn't speaking to Harry, but he didn't actually notice until it was pointed out to him by Ginny at dinner the next day.

"That prat thinks you should've told him how you were entering."

"Why?" asked Harry. "I figure that every cheater has to come up with his own method."

"We quite agree," said George from behind him.

"We didn't give Ronnikins our aging potion, either," said Fred.

"Anyway," said Harry. "I think it's time for our meeting. We might have new members tonight."

-

Harry was correct about that, as several foreign students, including the two champions, lined up and signed the contract that Hermione had made for Harry upon his request when he started the club up a little over a month before. Harry noticed that Ron hadn't shown up, now that he was aware of the problem. However, right now he had more important things to worry about.

Once the last new member had signed up, Harry stepped behind the podium in the room they used. "Alright. It's time to begin. For those of you that are new, I welcome you. The way we do things here is that I'll talk for a few minutes about a spell or technique, and then demonstrate it. After that, everybody pairs off and practices for the rest of the hour."

"Vhy should we listen to a fourth-year like you?" asked one of the Durmstrang students.

Harry calmly replied, "I have passed my Defense O.W.L., and we are going over N.E.W.T. level material. But if you don't want to listen, there's the door." He then pointed at the exit.

"I did not mean to insult you. I merely wished to understand your qualifications, so that I can decide if you have anything you can teach me."

Harry fought his impulse to duel his challenger, as Hermione had told him that if he dueled everyone who challenged him, he'd never be able to rest. "How about this? You stay here for this lesson and participate. If you don't feel you've gained anything from it, then don't come back. No hard feelings. Agreed, Mr?"

"Bulgarov, Michael Bulgarov. Agreed."

Harry then began his lesson as he always did, and had Cedric Diggory assist him with the demonstration of his `spell of the day.' He used different assistants each lesson for the demonstrations. The qualification for it was to working toward N.E.W.T.s. Moody had told Harry that he'd count it as extra credit for his class, so he had to report who helped him for each meeting. For that reason, Harry didn't use Hermione or Ginny for the demonstrations. They couldn't use extra credit for a class they weren't taking.

At the end of the meeting, Michael Bulgarov came up to him and said that he was very impressed with the class, and would definitely be returning. Both Krum and Fleur made similar statements, the Beauxbatons champion going as far as to apologize for saying he was a little boy, and saying that he was a worthy opponent.

-

A few weeks later, Harry entered the Gryffindor Common room at about 1 a.m. looking very pale. Hermione, Neville and Ginny had waited up for him that night, because Hagrid had asked him to visit him with the invisibility cloak earlier that day in Hogsmeade.

"D-Dragons," muttered Harry.

"What?" asked Hermione as she was walking toward him.

"Four dragons. Two for me. I saw them."

Hermione paled this time. "Y-you've got to fight two dragons? They're mad!"

"Maybe signing up wasn't such a good idea," said Harry as he sat down.

"How can you fight two dragons at the same time?" asked Neville, looking a light shade of green.

"It's impossible," said Hermione, "unless…you've got no choice. Use your fire and air elements. It's either that or…"

"I've got an idea," said Ginny, excitedly. "What if you out-fly them on your Firebolt?"

"I can't bring a broom in there. All I can bring is a wand."

"Well," said Hermione thoughtfully. "You could summon it and try it that way, but remember, if you get in trouble, don't hold back, even if it means revealing those abilities."

"I guess I should start practicing my summoning charm."

-

Sooner than Harry would've believed possible, November twenty-fourth arrived, and he found himself inside a tent with the other two champions. He definitely believed that he was twice as nervous as his opponents, although they did seem anxious as well. Viktor Krum walked up to him while Fleur was pacing up and down the tent in her own world.

"It is unfair that they are making you face two of them, is it not?"

"I think so," agreed Harry.

"This girl you are dating, Hermy-own, is quite special, no?"

Harry's features hardened. He wanted to make things very clear to Viktor. "Her-my-oh-nee is indeed very special. She's been my best friend since I was eleven, and I've been dating her for over a year now." He then added, "And I intend to keep dating her for as long as she'll have me."

"So, you are very serious about her?"

"Very," said Harry, looking Krum straight in the eyes, as though daring him to question that.

"I just vondered, is all. You are a very lucky man."

Before Harry could respond, the judges entered the tent.

After they revealed the secret that everybody knew (that the task was dragons), they told the champions that they had to retrieve the golden egg - in Harry's case, two golden eggs. They had a bag with four dragon models in it, and let Harry pick first and last. He ended up with a Swedish Short-Snout with a number one tied around its neck and a Hungarian Horntail with a four.

"Since your highest number is a four, Harry, you'll be going last, and facing both dragons together. Fleur will be going first, facing a Welsh Green, while Viktor will go next, facing the Chinese Fireball," said Ludo Bagman.

Afterwards, Ludo tried to offer Harry help privately, but Harry politely refused, saying, "I've got a plan worked out. I know…" At that moment, the whistle blew, and Bagman had to hurry out to announce Fleur.

Harry waited in silence, pacing the floor while Fleur, and later Krum, faced their dragons. When his name was called, he pulled out his wand and stepped outside the tent, saying, "Accio, Firebolt!" before he even looked at the two monsters he had to face.

The blueish-gray Swedish Short-Snout wasn't paying him any attention, but the black, monstrous Hungarian Horntail was glaring at him with her yellow eyes, but not moving. Both dragons were on the other side of the enclosure, guarding their nests. Harry stood where he was until finally his broomstick came into view. He jumped on it and began to fly toward the dragons, not even noticing the tremendous applause that filled the stadium.

As he drew closer to the dragons, they began paying him more heed, until the Short-Snout sent a fireball at him, which he barely dodged in time. But now, he was too close to the Horntail, which swung its tail at him. He began flying away, but was hit in his left arm, which began bleeding as he screamed in pain. Even so, he managed to `roll with the punch' so he didn't lose control of his broom. He flew straight up to recuperate and form a plan.

`There's no way I can fight two dragons at once,' he thought to himself as he performed a simple healing charm on his arm that stopped the bleeding. `I need something to distract one…' A daring, and some would say crazy, plan formed in his mind. He decided to do it and hope for the best.

He pulled his broom into a dive, stopping right in front of the Short-Snout's belly and shot a stinging hex at the Horntail's snout. He knew that it wouldn't hurt the dragon much, but if it annoyed her enough…His plan worked. The Horntail shot a fireball directly at Harry, who flew up and out of the way just in time for the Short-Snout to be burned. It roared in rage as Harry watched from above, spewing fire back at the dragon that had attacked it. The Horntail moved its wings, flying toward its opponent, swinging its tail into the Short-Snout's face, knocking it down. Harry dived to the Horntail's nest and grabbed the first egg, still not noticing the applause or announcements.

Putting the egg under his left arm, he streaked at top speed toward the other egg, while the dragons battled it out, grabbing it just before the Horntail noticed what had happened and blew a fireball at Harry, which hit the back of his robes as he hurried to the medical tent, knowing that he'd drop an egg if he tried to remove his robe.

Once he got inside, he let go of the eggs and pulled off his robe as Madam Pomfrey hurried up to him. The dragon handlers were out there breaking up the fight while someone else was putting out the fire on Harry's robe. He was wearing a pair of pants and a t-shirt with holes that had been burned in the back. The healed performed a spell, banishing the ruined shirt so that she could better examine him.

"You've got first degree burns on your neck and back. You're lucky your hair didn't catch fire. Let me see where the Horntail cut your arm." She looked at his work. "I see you stopped the bleeding. I'll just finish up the healing so you don't get a scar. I don't think you'll be scarred from your burns, either. I won't make you spend the night in the hospital wing, but if you have any trouble at all, I want you to come see me."

"Harry!" shouted Hermione as she ran into the tent. She was followed by Ginny and Neville. She engulfed him in a hug and kissed him thoroughly. Madam Pomfrey simply began treating his burns.

Finally, the kissing was interrupted by the loud voice of Hagrid proudly shouting, "Yeh did it, Harry! I knew ya could! An' against two dragons!"

When they separated, Harry noticed fingernail marks on his girlfriend's face where she had obviously been clutching it in fear. "You were absolutely brilliant!" she declared.

He was congratulated by the others, and Professor McGonagall conjured him a new t-shirt while praising his flying ability. "Now, make sure you change out of it as soon as you get back to Gryffindor tower. It'll disappear in a few hours."

He went out to see his scores. Dumbledore and Bagman gave him ten points each, while Crouch, Maxime (with a reluctant look on her face) and Chekov (with an unreadable expression) gave him nine points. He figured that they were easy on him because he'd faced two dragons. His total score was forty-seven points, which put him in first place.

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

Special thanks to zeropolis79 for consulting on this chapter.

By the way, if you want the details of certain events that I breezed through, such as the arrival of the other schools, I'd suggest reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It's a really good book, and it's not my intention to rewrite what I'm not changing.

-->