Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dumbledore Answers Harry by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dumbledore Answers Harry

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J. K. Rowling, not me.

Dumbledore Answers Harry - Chapter 5 -Sirius Situations

"Hello Harry," came the cheerful voice of Dumbledore from behind his desk as Harry entered his office. There was a twinkle in the headmaster's eyes as he said, "Please sit down. To what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?"

"Sir," said Harry, making sure to remain calm, despite the fact that he was hurt that Dumbledore hadn't told him about his inheritance, "I've just been to Gringotts and found out about my inheritance that you haven't told me about despite the fact that my mother asked you to." He allowed a moment for that information to sink in as the twinkle left Dumbledore's eyes. "I found this letter from my mother inside my family's vault, and have questions about it." Harry put the letter on the desk in front of the aged wizard.

"Well," said Dumbledore, "You've had a busy day, and I understand it's not over yet. Perhaps you could tell me why you snuck out of the castle to visit Gringotts."

Harry sighed, making up his mind about what he'd tell the headmaster. "Dobby told me about my houses this morning. He asked me for a job. I wanted to confirm that he was correct, so I had him take me to Gringotts. I got to find out just how much money and property I own and visited the Potter Family Valuables vault. Among other things, I found the letter. I'd like you to read it and then explain why you never told me about this."

Dumbledore picked up the letter and began to read, his eyes bulging out from behind his half-moon glasses when he read about Sirius. "I must get this information to the ministry. May I make a magical copy of this letter?" When Harry nodded Dumbledore pointed his wand at the letter, which glowed pink for a moment, and then an exact copy appeared next to it. Harry immediately took his copy and looked at Dumbledore expectantly. "What can I say, Harry? I felt that if you were aware of the resources available to you, you'd probably run away from the Dursleys."

"So you specifically went against my parents' wishes because you thought you knew better than them?"

The aged man appeared to be sweating now. "Er, yes." He sighed. "I made a mistake disobeying Lily's wishes, and a man has spent ten years in Azkaban without a trial because of it. I will turn give this letter to Acting Minister Bones. What I don't understand is why Professor Snape thought that Sirius Black was the traitor. He was working as a spy against Voldemort at the time. He seemed very happy that Sirius Black got justice without even a trial. Perhaps Voldemort was feeding his people false information."

Harry couldn't hold back. "Sir, isn't it possible that Professor Snape was lying to you and never really was on your side?"

The headmaster seemed shocked. "Of course not. I know that he turned from Voldemort. He felt bad about…something he'd done and wanted to make up for it. He saved your life last year. I know you have difficulty getting along with him, but you must look at it more objectively."

"Pardon me, sir, but I'm not convinced that you're looking at it objectively. I honestly think you've convinced yourself that you're right about Snape, and won't hear a word against him, no matter how much evidence there is that he's done wrong. For example, if he was sorry for what he did as a Death Eater, why does he still act like one in his classes."

"You surely must be exaggerating about PROFESSOR Snape."

Harry stared at Dumbledore for a few seconds. "Haven't you ever, as a concerned headmaster who's heard numerous complaints about your potions master, spied on one of his classes?"

"Of course not. That would be unethical."

"Not as unethical as subjecting students to Snape's teaching methods!" snapped Harry.

"I will consider your suggestion of inconspicuously observing my professors. Now I've got to deal with the fact that you have broken school rules. Why didn't you just come to me when Dobby informed you of your inheritance? I thought we've built a good relationship where you felt you could talk to me. Truthfully, the subject of your inheritance has never come up in our conversations. I obviously didn't know about that letter, or else I would have visited the vault immediately after leaving you with the Dursleys. But answer me this. Would you have run away from the Dursleys if you knew about your houses?"

Harry's ears turned pink. "Er, yeah probably. I honestly was excited about the idea and asking you didn't occur to me since Dobby was already there. I'm sorry about that. At least I didn't skip any classes to go."

Dumbledore smiled. "I suppose that in a small way, it's partially my fault for not telling you about the vault, and you did come to me about it. You won't be severely punished this time, but I must warn you that next time I won't be so lenient. Ten points from Gryffindor, and you will serve one detention with Professor McGonagall. She'll inform you of when and what it is. Do you have anything else you wish to discuss?"

"Yes, a few things. Who is Remus?"

Dumbledore smiled. "Remus Lupin was one of your father's best friends. I've been thinking about asking him to teach here next year. I suppose you'll want to meet him."

"Yes," said Harry. "I'd really like to."

"I'll owl him and see if he's agreeable to it."

Harry smiled. "I'd appreciate it."

"You said there were more things you wished to discuss?"

"I'd like to visit Sirius Black, sir."

Albus raised his eyebrows. "I suppose I could try to arrange that. I'll let you know. Anything else?"

Harry looked down. "Er, I was wondering if it would be alright if I visited Potter Manor and my other houses some time."

Dumbledore stared at Harry for a few seconds before smiling. "I suppose if I say no you'll do it anyway. Dobby can probably take you there without my knowing."

Harry blushed but did not answer.

"I suppose a short visit to one house per weekend until you've seen them all could be permitted provided that it doesn't affect your classes and no one else knows about it. Just let me know in advance when and where you are going."

"Tomorrow after lunch I'd like to see Potter Manor. But would it be alright if I told Ginny and Hermione about it and took them, as long as they know it's a secret?"

"In other words, they probably already know about it and want to visit the mansion. I assume Dobby is taking care of the house now to make sure everything's fine there and it's safe?"

"Yes."

"Alright, but only stay two hours."

-

Harry left excitedly, and then visited Professor Flitwick to ask any advice about his upcoming duel with Lockhart.

"Personally, I don't think he's half as good as he says he is," said Flitwick, "But don't underestimate him. Use everything I've taught you. Remember that if you lose you'll have to spend extra time with him."

Harry burst out laughing. "I guess you don't like him either."

"Not really. Have you chosen your second yet?"

"No. I didn't think about it."

"I'd like to volunteer."

Harry smiled. "Thanks!"

They practiced dueling until it was time for dinner. Flitwick taught him some particularly humiliating hexes, along with some serious ones.

-

Harry walked up to the table and sat in the space that Ginny and Hermione had saved between them. Ginny immediately asked, "Where have you been? Some people thought you ran away."

"Practicing dueling with Flitwick. He asked to be my second."

"That's great!" exclaimed Hermione.

Dinner went by quickly, and then Dumbledore made an announcement. "And now we have some exciting entertainment!" A beetle flew into the Great Hall without anybody noticing. "Professor Lockhart and Harry Potter are going to have a friendly duel. Those of you not interested in watching are excused. The rest of you should stand against the walls for a few minutes while I turn the Great Hall into a dueling ring."

The students all got up, and soon there was a raised platform where the duel was to take place. Harry and Flitwick climbed the stairs on one side. Harry looked around and saw the bleachers full of students that had been protected by a shield the headmaster had conjured. Harry turned his attention toward Lockhart, who had just walked onto the other side of the platform, and removed his purple cape, throwing it at the girls who were cheering him on. He was wearing a shiny lilac outfit waving at the crowd with a smile on his face that didn't reach his eyes. Behind him, another figure emerged, with black, greasy hair and black wizarding robes. Harry was surprised that Snape would be Lockhart's second, but then realized that the greasy git would use any opportunity to curse him.

Lockhart cheerfully said, "Harry, Harry my boy. You still can back out if you want to. Nobody would think less of you for not wanting to duel me."

Harry responded by pulling out his wand. Dumbledore came in front of the dueling ring and announced with a magically enhanced voice, "The rules are simple. No unforgivable curses allowed, and the dueling will continue until one contestant can't move or surrenders. The duel will begin at the count of three. 1, 2, 3."

Harry immediately raised a protego shield and began quickly moving around the platform. Lockhart had pointed his wand and said, "Stupefy," and a very weak-looking beam slowly shot toward Harry's starting position.

Harry wished he knew the bat-bogey hex, but settled for the one he'd practiced. He pointed his wand at Lockhart and shouted the incantation, causing Lockhart's robes to disappear, revealing him wearing nothing but pink boxer shorts with purple hearts on them. Harry ignored the audience's laughter. Lockhart's face turned red and he moved his hands to cover his underwear, and Harry sent another hex at his opponent. It was the leg-locker jinx. The famous fighter fell flat on his face in front of his twelve-year-old opponent. He pointed his wand at Harry, shouting, 'Stupefy,' yet again. His weak beam missed yet again, and Harry shot him with a powerful cheering charm, making Lockhart start laughing uncontrollably, dropping his wand. Harry summoned the wand into his left hand, and pointed both at Lockhart.

Harry shouted, "Do you surrender?"

The idiot professor tried to pick himself up with his hands, saying, "I've got you right where I want you. I'm warning you to surrender now, or you'll regret it."

Harry shouted, "Petrificus Totalus," making the imbecile go rigid.

Snape immediately said with a smirk, "As Professor Lockhart cannot complete this duel, I, as his second, wish to finish what he started."

Dumbledore shouted, "This duel is over! Professor Lockhart lost without hitting Mr. Potter with one spell."

"According to the rules, the second can continue it under these circumstances."

Albus looked older. "Very well. On the count of three. 1, 2, 3 go."

Harry re-raised his shield and moved quickly, but not quickly enough. Snape pointed his wand where he knew Harry would be and shouted, "Sectumsempra."

Harry felt the curse hit his leg and he fell, screaming in pain as he started bleeding. He pointed his wand at the sneering professor and shouted, "Reducto!" hitting the startled professor's wand hand, separating it from his body. Harry then pointed his wand at the furious git and said, "Stupefy," before he lost consciousness from loss of blood.

-

He opened his eyes to see the blurry image of both Ginny and Hermione waiting with him. Ginny gave him his glasses when she saw his eyes open. Ron was also in the room, and appeared relieved that Harry woke up. He tried to move and felt a jolt of pain in his leg. He winced.

"Madam Pomfrey said you shouldn't try to get up until tomorrow morning," said Hermione, "and even then you'll need a cane for about a week."

"What happened?"

"You won," said Ginny proudly. "Professor Dumbledore jumped into the ring as soon as you stupefied Snape. He healed up the cuts on your leg as best he could, and then enervated that greasy git. Last night Dumbledore completely lost his cool! He was shouting at him for using that curse on you in front of everybody while Snape was still bleeding from losing his hand. Dumbledore fired Snape before he finally let Madam Pomfrey help him."

Hermione added, "Snape said he had the legal right to use any curse but the unforgivables in that duel and couldn't be fired. Dumbledore said he had a list of complaints by students and that that was the basis of his decision, not his attempted murder of a twelve-year-old boy."

"How is the greasy git, anyway?"

Ginny said, "She managed to reattach his hand, but because of how long it was separated, he'll never be able to use it as well as he used to, so he was advised to learn to write and duel with his left hand before he was sent to his quarters to pack. He left the castle a few hours ago."

"So it's Sunday morning then?" asked Harry.

"Oh, yes," said Hermione, "Sorry. We should have told you."

"Sorry about this," Harry whispered, "I'd gotten us permission to visit Potter Manor this afternoon before the duel."

"Don't be silly," said Hermione. "We can probably see it next weekend when you're better. That's what you need to concentrate on, recovery. I hope you don't have too bad of a scar from that curse."

Harry then looked at his bedsheet and picked it up so that he could look under it. He saw that he was in a hospital gown but couldn't see his leg clearly. He moved the gown up some. "Bloody Hell! My whole leg looks like I slept on a bed of nails! It's cut up all over!" he quietly hissed.

"We know," said Hermione, taking his right hand in hers. We saw it while it was still bleeding. Professor Dumbledore said that Snape invented the curse himself, and that it should be unforgivable. By the way, somehow the Daily Prophet found out about your duel." She handed him the day's paper and he read the headline.

"Two Professors at Hogwarts Attack Harry Potter

By Rita Skeeter

This reporter has witnessed something no parent ever imagined when sending their children to Hogwarts for an education. The famous Gilderoy Lockhart challenged one of his students, the young Boy-Who-Lived to a duel, and being the courageous soul that he is, he accepted. The duel was last night in the Great Hall.

Potter actually humiliated Lockhart, making this reporter believe that the achievements the famous author has claimed in his books, which, by the way, no one has ever substantiated, were either false or exaggerated. The so-called-wizard showed no more talent that a squib while young Potter showed incredible dueling skills for someone his age. But after Lockhart was down, his second, a 'supposedly former' Death Eater that Professor Dumbledore has defended numerous times against accusations by students, as well as ministry officials who have wished to lock him up in Azkaban for his many crimes while working for He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, insisted on continuing the duel.

Professor Severus Snape started immediately with a dark spell that would've cost Potter his life had he not moved so quickly. As it is, he almost lost his leg. While he was on the floor bleeding severely, he managed to win the duel against Snape while he was gloating, injuring his wand hand and stupefying him before losing consciousness from his loss of blood. Immediately following this, Dumbledore finally did something to help Potter.

After stopping the bleeding and placing him in the care of the Hogwarts Nurse, the headmaster had an argument with Snape that ended when Dumbledore fired the man who'd tried to kill the Boy-Who-Still-Lives. Potter is currently in Hogwarts Hospital wing where he is expected to fully recover. After this display, I believe that we can expect great things from the famous Harry Potter. I do however wonder what future blunders we can expect from Professor Dumbledore, and which students will be in danger because of it."

Ginny pointed to a table full of candies and cards near his bed. "These have been coming in steadily since the Daily Prophet came out. I just don't know how they knew about the duel. No reporter was there."

"Lockhart probably told them about the duel, hoping to get me to surrender in front of everybody," said Harry, "Where is he anyway?"

Hermione chuckled. "He seemed to vanish soon after he was released from your hex."

At that moment, Professor Flitwick came in and said, "How are you feeling, my boy?"

"Alright, Professor, except for my leg."

"That was an awful thing to do to you," said Flitwick. "But you still beat him! Very good show! Very good show indeed! But you should've let me handle him."

Harry smiled. "No, I'm glad I'm the one who beat him, even if I do end up with a scar."

Not long after Flitwick left, Dumbledore came to the hospital wing and talked to Harry. "I guess you were right. I was so sure of myself that I couldn't see the truth about Professor Snape. Anyone who could use a curse like that against a child in a friendly duel is nothing more than a murderer. I'd believed he'd gotten past that life. I'm sorry that I refused to listen to anybody else about him. My arrogance almost got you killed last night. But I must say I was impressed by your dueling skills."

"Professor Flitwick is an excellent teacher," said Harry. "Thanks for getting him to give me those lessons."

"That was my pleasure. It may interest you to know that due to Professor Lockhart's disappearance, I've written to Mr. Lupin, offering him the Defense Against the Dark Arts job. I'm still waiting for his answer."

"I hope he takes the job. Then I should be able to get to know him better. What about Sirius Black?"

"No word yet. I'll floo Minister Bones next week if I haven't heard from her yet. I'll also give her your request to visit Mr. Black. By the way, since you're obviously unable to visit Potter Manor today, you have permission to visit there either next Saturday or Sunday, whichever day suits you best. Just let me know in advance."

-

Harry was visited by many admirers and well-wishers that day, including the entire quidditch team, Hagrid, and many girls fourth-year and younger (which annoyed Ginny and Hermione, who were with him at all times, only leaving the Hospital wing one-at-a-time for necessities). Harry gave most of the candy that admirers owled in to Ron. Hermione and Ginny (and himself) ate some, but there was just so much. Hundreds of people sent him so much candy that they would never finish it by themselves. However, he kept the cards from all the chocolate frogs. Monday morning, Harry got out of bed with some difficulty, and walked to the Great Hall with Hermione and Ginny, to be met with an incredible amount of applause from everyone but the Slytherins. Harry whispered to the girls, "I guess they're happy I got Snape fired."

"No you git, well yeah, that too, but they admire the way you handled yourself in that duel! You were incredibly brave and level-headed. We're certainly proud of you," said Hermione.

"Of course we are," said Ginny. "I would be clapping too if I didn't know how much you hate that attention. Take a look at Malfoy's face."

Harry obeyed and immediately burst out laughing. He looked like Dudley did when he didn't get enough birthday presents. "His father's in jail. His money is gone, and with it his so-called friends. His enemy is being honored. His favorite teacher is gone. He's not been having a good month."

"Hopefully he's learning that this is what happens to Death Eaters," said Ginny.

"But no one deserves…" said Hermione.

"Yes he does," interrupted Ginny. "His father should've been in Azkaban since he was one-year-old, so he's already had a lot of time with his father that he shouldn't have. He was born with money that he didn't earn, so he didn't deserve that. He didn't ever deserve the favoritism Snape gave him. He never had friends. He's enemies with Harry simply because Harry does the right thing. So Malfoy has finally gotten what he deserves, and I don't feel any pity for him. If this lesson in humility changes his attitude then that's great, but I'll never say he doesn't deserve what happened."

"I agree with Ginny," said Harry. "I'm not gonna pretend that he's some kind of saint or martyr because his family has finally gotten some justice. Just yesterday he tried to hex me from behind!"

"You're right, he does deserve it," admitted Hermione.

He sat between the redhead and brunette, much to the annoyance of the other girls, some of which shouted that they wanted to join his other girlfriends, earning a glare from both Ginny and Hermione.

-

That week, Dumbledore taught DADA in Lockhart's place, while McGonagall doubled as Potions Master. They both did very well in those positions, making the classes much more enjoyable than they had ever been. Minerva actually explained what they were doing instead of just giving them instructions, so they actually learned more than just the recipe for the potions they brewed. Dumbledore surprised and embarrassed Harry in class by having him describe his duel from his perspective. He held them all mesmerized as he explained why he kept moving to avoid getting hit, and then how he knew he couldn't let Snape win. When he was finished, Dumbledore awarded him fifty points for Gryffindor.

On Friday night, Harry was summoned by Fawkes to the headmaster's office. He was happy to finally be rid of that cane as he walked up the stairs. His leg was scarred a bit, but not badly. When he got there, he was surprised to see that the headmaster was not alone. There was a man in obviously old robes with him. Dumbledore said, "Harry Potter, meet Professor Remus Lupin."

Harry's face brightened up at the name. He walked up and shook the man's hand, saying, "It's good to meet you sir!"

"It's good to see you again, Harry. The last time I saw you, you were one year old."

"Professor Dumbledore called you professor. Does that mean you'll be teaching defense?"

"Yes, Harry. I'd be a fool to pass up that opportunity."

"I've called you here tonight because Madam Bones has graciously allowed you to visit Sirius Black tomorrow afternoon, and Professor Lupin would like to accompany you if that's alright."

"He was an old friend of mine and your father's," said Lupin sadly. "I've never visited him because I believed he was the traitor."

"That'll be fine, sir. Is Sirius going to have a trial?"

"Yes," said Dumbledore, "in a month. Acting Minister Bones has already linked one of Mr. Malfoy's bribes to the day it was decided that Mr. Black didn't need a trial."

"When will there be a vote to choose the next minister?" asked Harry.

"In six weeks," said Dumbledore, "She wanted to make sure that he had a fair trial before the election for two reasons. One is that she could make sure he finally gets justice. The other is that she hopes that it will help her election campaign." Harry's face fell. "Harry, just because she wants to be Minister of Magic does not mean she's like Fudge. She wants to have the opportunity to undo all the damage that Fudge has done, and knows that she needs to win the election to do it. She simply hopes that there are enough voters who believe in justice. It wouldn't hurt if well-known people like ourselves supported her publicly. That is, if you do support what she's doing."

Harry smiled. "You're right. You can tell her that I'd be willing to make a public statement that I support what she's been doing. She deserves that just for what she's already done." He then turned to Lupin with a smile on his face, "So Professor Lupin, I'll bet you could tell me a lot of stories about my dad."

Remus chuckled, "I could, but I don't think I should tell the tales in front of the headmaster. He may change his mind about hiring me when he hears about the mischief we used to get into that we weren't caught doing."

-

The next day, at twelve fifty p.m., Harry showed up at Dumbledore's office. He decided to visit Potter Manor on Sunday, and had made sure Dobby knew so that he'd take care of any problems at that house first. He'd told the girls about Lupin and Sirius, and they were very happy about it. When he stepped into the office, he saw that Lupin was there with Dumbledore, and there was a pair of muggle handcuffs on the desk. Dumbledore saw Harry looking at them and said, "Don't worry, we're not going to handcuff you. That's simply the portkey you'll be taking at exactly one o'clock. I have to go through this checklist for you. As I said yesterday, you are not allowed to bring any portkeys, invisibility cloaks, potions, or other magical items with you. You may bring your wand with you, but you'll be required to leave it with the guard when you go into Sirius' cell. They are moving the normal guards, called Dementors, away from the immediate area around his cell, as they tend to ruin visits, leaving only aurors to make sure you make no attempt to break their prisoner out of his cell."

Harry had put his portkeys into his wallet/trunk, and left that in his regular trunk. He'd tried giving it to one of the girls, but the strong desire to return it to the owner kicked in and each immediately refused it, tossing it back to him before he realized what was happening. At the appropriate time, Harry and Lupin each grabbed one of the bracelets of the handcuffs and were whisked away to the most depressing place either of them had ever been.

-

Harry got up off the filthy floor he'd fallen onto to find that his hands were dirty and his leg was starting to slightly bug him a bit because he'd landed on it. There were five aurors there with their wands out pointing at them. They were two wizards and three witches. They were wearing black robes with a badge that showed a magic wand in between two sheaves. They looked and acted completely without emotion. "Names and wands?" one of the witches asked.

"Remus Lupin," he said, handing one of them his wand.

"Harry Potter," said Harry as he handed his wand to one of the wizards.

"We were told you wish to see the prisoner, Sirius Black."

"That is correct," said Lupin.

One of them pointed his wand at Lupin and said, "Scan," while another did the same to Harry.

After they each glowed blue, they were told, "This way." Two of the aurors were in front of them and three were behind. The hallway was black without much to see. They passed a few cells where the occupants appeared to have lost their minds as they stared at the group that was walking. They didn't go far until they saw Sirius in his cell lying down with his eyes open. He silently turned his head to face his first ever visitors. While one kept his wand trained on the visitors, four of them pointed their wands at each corner of the door and sent a nonverbal spell at each one at the exact same moment. Then one of them took out a key and put it in the cell door, turning it and opening the cell. After Harry and Remus went in, the door was closed and locked again. "You have ten minutes," said one of the aurors. They all stayed nearby.

-

Sirius Black knew the Dementors had temporarily left his wing. Briefly he wondered why, but then decided to try enjoying the few minutes of peace he was getting. He heard footsteps in the hallway but didn't pay attention until they stopped in front of his cell. He turned and looked at them. He recognized them, and immediately wondered if he was dreaming. His friend Remus had aged, but the boy with him looked almost like James had when he met him, maybe a year older. He squinted to see in the poorly lit room and could just make out the green hue in the boy's eyes. He knew who that boy must be!

-

As soon as the visitors were in the cell, Sirius, with a scratchy voice that obviously hadn't been used for a while, said, "Remus Lupin and Harry Potter. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Remus spoke first, "Er, Sirius, Harry was just given access to the Potter Vault last week and he found a letter from Lily that said Peter was the Secret-Keeper, not you."

His eyes widened. "He did? Why didn't he go there before?"

Harry said, "Dumbledore never told me about my inheritance. He didn't want me to take my money and run away. He had no idea about the letter. I found out about my inheritance another way."

Sirius started laughing. "So the whole time I've been in this Hell there's been evidence waiting to be found that the great Albus Dumbledore didn't tell anyone about. Am I going to be released? Or has Fudge decided he doesn't care after he got more Malfoy money slipped to him."

"Actually, Fudge is somewhere in here, along with Malfoy," said Lupin. "Harry got evidence about the bribes a little while ago and now Madam Bones is Acting Minister. You're getting a trial next month."

Sirius nodded. "It's about bloody time." He then turned to Harry. "So Harry, tell me about yourself."

-

They had a pleasant, albeit short, conversation with Sirius, and then the guards took them back where they came and gave them their wands back, along with a portkey to take back to Hogwarts. When Harry got back, Ginny and Hermione immediately accosted him with questions about Azkaban and Sirius. He told them all about his trip, and then they talked about what they expected to find the next day at Potter Manor.

-

Please review. Thanks to all who have.