Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Heart That Doesn't Mend by yomoedmb
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Heart That Doesn't Mend

yomoedmb

Ginny woke up alone a couple of hours later. It wasn't the smell of pancakes that awoke her this time, but rather the voices of girls gossiping. She sat up quickly and looked around; this was her dormitory not Draco's! Had it all been a dream? She wondered. This thought was quickly dashed when she saw a note on her bedside cabinet addressed to her.

Ginny,

You need to deal with this all on your own.

I can't help you. Once you're better and if you

still want me I'm here like I promised, but get

better by yourself.

Draco

Tears ran down her cheeks wildly. How could such a cold letter be signed with love? How could he leave her when she needed him the most? Didn't he just promise her and Hermione he'd help her through it all? She guessed she had been deceived; Draco Malfoy was still a Malfoy.

Ginny hopped out of her bed and ran to take a quick shower hoping it'd wash the hurt away, but to no avail. She quickly got dressed and ran down the stairs to the common room with one thing on her mind - Draco.

She ran past the curious looks of Ron and Hermione and sprinted to the dungeons with calls from portraits telling her to slow down. Ginny approached Malfoy's room and uttered the password desperate to know what could be going on. She searched around for him, but found nothing but another note.

Ginny,

Don't look for me. I have left Hogwarts

for now, but will be back at some point. Please

get help, real help, not the held I could give you.

Draco.

Ginny was angered by this letter. How dare he just leave like that, and only in a matter of hours! Quickly she tore through his drawers for his hiding places, but only found empty bottles and parchment. Finally, while looking at the bottom of his wardrobe she spied a loose board and pried it up. Her eyes glowed at the sight of pills, so many pills! She grabbed as many as she could fit into her pockets and sat back against his bed. She opened a bottle with the name Vicodin printed on it and swallowed three. She would get the help she wanted, Draco and his advice could sod off! Suddenly she started feeling guilty for stealing these bottles, but figured he could get more, she needed them now anyways.

Tears started flowing down her cheeks as she got up and lay on his bed. She had pushed the one person she had away. Maybe if she hadn't gone so fast with him… But she just wanted him so badly. He was the only person that could numb all the feelings that coursed through her. The pain of losing Harry and the utter ignorance she got from her family Draco and his drugs numbed away. After a few minutes she started feeling the effects of the drugs. She began to calm down and finally got to thinking.

Finally she decided what she needed; her mum. She needed someone to help her decide what to do. Ginny grabbed the pen barrel and cards from the hole and shoved them in her pockets. Then she put the floor board back into place and made her way to McGonagall's office. She paused outside her door to make sure she was still crying and looking distraught despite feeling the calming lull of the drugs. Then she walked into the new Headmistress's office after saying the password.

"Professor McGonagall," Ginny sobbed, "I need to go home!"

"We knew the transition back to normal routine would prove difficult. But I thought we agreed it was for the best, Miss Weasley, yes?"

"I'm pregnant," she whispered not wanting to be stuck in the office too long.

"Merlin's beard… Are you really? Have you seen Madam Pomfrey? Well, I suppose you'll want to be getting home anyway. Of course you can go immediately. I'll send an owl to your parents; you'll need your things sent home. I'll speak with your professors as well…" McGonagall trailed off as she reached the fireplace.

Ginny smiled weakly in response.

"Off you go, then," said McGonagall, as if she were ushering a student to class, attempting to gather a semblance of normalcy.

"Thank you Professor," Ginny sniffled before stepping into the green flames and stating her destination as clearly as possible.

She landed in the Burrow's fireplace and ran into the kitchen knowing her mum would be there.

"Mum!" Ginny yelled with relief flooding over her and embracing her mother.

"Ginny, what's wrong sweetie?" Mrs Weasley asked filled with concern over her only daughter crying. She knew Ginny had been through so much in the past month and had been hesitant about letting her return to Hogwarts at all. Her husband on the other hand said the studies would help Ginny heal, and so would her friends. Obviously he was wrong.

"Mum, I'm pregnant with Harry's baby," Ginny declared, just wanting to get it out in the open.

Mrs Weasley stood shocked about the words her baby just said. "Harry's baby?"

Ginny nodded looking straight at her mum, surely she couldn't be upset. "I still love him mum, even though he's gone and we're young, I really do love him."

"Oh sweetie I know you do, I could always tell how you two felt about each other. You're going to be a mum at sixteen. I'm just a bit shocked, but I know you'll be amazing."

"It means so much that you're all right with this. I've just been so lost since I found out. Harry's not here anymore, I don't talk to anyone at school because of the look, and Draco left me," Ginny declared.

"Draco? What do you mean Draco left?"

Ginny sighed and sat down, silently scolding herself for mentioning it; these pills really did make you tell the truth. Her mum had always been the one that protected Draco when he joined the Order though. She admired him risking his life for the sake of the wizarding world. Whenever someone brought up his past she jumped in to protect him like he was her son. She had practically adopted him like she had Harry.

"Well, ever since he comforted me after the battle we've been really close. He understands what I went through losing Harry and he's been amazing in distracting me from the looks I get at school. Well…I don't know. We were close, that's all, I guess. But then he left me a note saying I need to heal without him. This is after he told me he'd help me with the baby and getting over Harry's death."

Ginny was crying hard again, feeling the emptiness she had felt when she lost Harry coming back to her. She felt so alone and helpless. Was she that pathetic to need a guy to depend on? Was she one of those girls that did nothing for herself after years of proving her independence?

Mrs Weasley walked over to sit next to her daughter and held the hand that was lying on the table. She knew Draco pretty well since for a while she was the only one who trusted the boy and got to know him well. She had a hunch Ginny wasn't telling the whole truth, but decided her daughter was too upset to push the reason out of her.

"I'm here Ginny. I will help you every step of the way through this pregnancy, I have been through it six times. And if you need help with the Harry thing I'm here too, it was like a losing a son to me when he died. He was the son that I didn't bear from my own womb, but might as well have. I can't imagine smiling right ever again knowing he won't eat a healthy dinner, or bring about trouble like he always did. And the Draco thing, I'm sure he has a good reason for leaving. The Draco I've grown to love has good reasoning, and I know he'll be there to care for you."

Ginny looked up at her mum with the hint of hope in her eyes. She knew she had failed to mention the drugs and the new twist on her friendship with Draco (if you could still call it that), but those were her own private things that no one else need know.

"Do you mind if I stay here for a little while? I just can't bear going back to school right now. Plus, this morning sickness is absolutely killing me, I feel like I haven't eaten in weeks."

"Of course sweetie, I'll send Arthur to Hogwarts to get all of the things that you need. I'm sure Minerva wouldn't mind sending updates of your school work to help you keep up with your peers. But honey do you know how far along you are?" Mrs. Weasley asked. She knew her daughter didn't eat much even before Harry died, and was curious to when she could have gotten pregnant.

"About two months. I'm not completely sure. I'm guessing it was before the Diagon Alley battle," Ginny said knowing why her mum was asking. She knew she probably wasn't having morning sickness anymore, but a reaction to the drugs.

"All right, well you just go up to your room and rest for a little while. I'll bring you up some food you can probably keep down," Mrs. Weasley said with her motherly manner. She needed to get Ginny out of the room so she could contact Minerva and her husband. They needed to know what was going on, and she needed to find Draco before she lost not only her daughter, but her grandchild too.

-->