Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Heart That Doesn't Mend by yomoedmb
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Heart That Doesn't Mend

yomoedmb

Ginny finally awoke three days later with a napping blond boy attached to her hand. Her heart warmed at the sleeping boy. She had no idea how anyone could think him to be a cruel murderer. She saw him as the best friend she had. A prat, maybe, a lot of the times but not a cold murderer. Ginny looked around to take in her surroundings; she remembered getting very high and that was all. How had she gotten to be in a room with two single beds and potion bottles everywhere? Oh sweet Merlin, I hope they don't know about the drugs! she thought while scrambling to sit up and look around frantically, all the while forgetting about the sleeping wizard holding onto her.

"Am I dreaming?" a raspy voice asked below her.

Ginny looked to see that she had pushed Draco off the bed, and in the process woken him up. "You're not, but I might be. Where am I, Draco? What happened to me?"

"Your body was trying to reject the baby. They don't know why, but I think I have a thought," Draco stated, and gave her a questioning look. He knew she was aware of what he was insinuating, and wanted to know if he was right.

"I was so upset, Draco. Everyone had left me; everyone I had loved and trusted wasn't there. Ron's avoiding me, except when he insists on shoving food down my throat. Hermione just wants to know what really happened to Harry, and Mum sees me as a fragile vase. Then you…" Ginny said, having some of her previous anger return. "Oh you, Draco Malfoy! You comfort me, feed me drugs and kind words and then leave me! All of a sudden I was back on the battlefield holding a dead corpse that had filled me with hopes and promises!"

"Gin, please," Draco pleaded, trying to explain himself.

"No! I'm so sick of people's excuses. Everyone is trying to help me; if you want to help, stop treating me differently! I want to go back to how everything was!" Ginny yelled with tears pouring down her cheeks.

"That'll never happen, Ginny. Nothing will be that way again," Draco stated matter-of-factly. "Harry's gone, and with him a piece of everyone who loves you. Ron is reminded of Harry because of you. Hermione is always looking for answers because she's an insufferable know-it-all. And Gin, I wish you could understand where I was coming from. I would never hurt you. I'm looking out for your best-"

"My best interests? Draco, I already have one father and I don't need another. Right now I need a friend, a close friend. I need help to be happy again, and happy with this pregnancy. It was not the drugs that put me here, I know that. Something else is happening to me, to us," Ginny said, putting her hands on her stomach. Draco looked into her eyes and put his hand on top of hers.

"I'm so sorry, Ginny. I've been such a wreck without you," Draco confessed, looking longingly at her.

"Then be with me," Ginny whispered.

Draco leant into Ginny and gently kissed her. He felt the familiar warmth flood over him that only Ginny could cause.

"Get the bloody hell off of my sister!" Ron roared, barging into the room.

Startled, Ginny jumped. Draco turned around too quickly, knocking over the chair and tripping. With a loud thump his head came into contact with the metal bar of the bed.

"Fuck, Ron! Look what you've done! Clean up your own personal messes before causing others!" Ginny scolded her older brother while scrambling from the bed to help the knocked out Draco. "Out!"

Ron rushed out of the room before his sister could put one of her gruesome hexes on him.

"Draco? Draco, can you hear me?" Ginny asked, frantically stroking Draco's hair out of his face to look at the product of the incident.

"Is it okay with you if I kill your brother?" Draco breathed out, coming back to consciousness. Ginny laughed at his question and kissed his head softly to make it all better.

"I'm fine with that, as long as it's quick and painless. If it's not then Mum will be rather angry about it."

"Never mind then; it's no fun if it's painless," Draco responded.

Ginny laughed and swatted Draco's shoulder playfully. "You're just fine, get up," she said while attempting to stand.

"No, my head, the pain!" Draco exaggerated, holding the side of his head that had not met the bed.

"Oh, you…" Ginny started, but fell back down in her attempts to stand up, clutching her stomach and writhing violently about.

"Oh shit, Ginny? Someone help! She's sick again!" Draco yelled, getting up and running to the door. Immediately the room was filled with mediwizards and witches scraping Ginny off the floor. Draco stood in the corner, watching helplessly as Ginny was administered a Calming and Sleeping Draught. Silently, the main mediwizard scanned Ginny's body with his wand, trying to detect what was happening to the girl.

"Nothing," he finally said, exasperated. "This makes no sense at all. How can her body possibly be trying to reject the child when the baby is perfectly healthy? We need to get fluids and food into her!"

Swiftly, Draco was escorted to where Ginny's family was firmly planted. Draco dropped into a chair between Ron and Hermione, not noticing who he was sitting between. He put his head in his hands and shook his head, not understanding what was happening to Ginny. Draco flinched when he felt a hand rubbing his back. He looked to see whose it was, only to be stunned that the Mudblood was trying to comfort him. Confusion was the only thing to be seen in his eyes, confusion about the 180 degree turn his life had taken without him knowing.

"All right?" Hermione asked, with worry showing in her eyes.

Draco shook his head slowly. "I don't know what's wrong with her. We were laughing and then all of a sudden she was clutching her stomach and an odd look was on her face. It wasn't pain or fear; it was almost like it wasn't her inside of there."

"I think you need some real rest, Malfoy," Hermione suggested to the stubborn man.

"I don't…" Draco started protesting, but was interrupted by shadows over him.

"I'm heading back to the Burrow. Why don't you join me, and Mum will cook you a nice meal and you can get some sleep," Charlie stated. It wasn't really a question, but more of an insistence. While Draco was still not the most welcomed person to their family, he seemed to have an odd attachment to Ginny, and Charlie seemed to appreciate that.

Draco started to protest again, but Charlie put his hand up to stop him. "I'm sorry; you thought that was a question. I really meant, you're coming to the Burrow with me and that's that."

Deciding that he was too tired and worn to fight a dragon specialist, Draco stood up. He had forgotten about his fall and head injury until it started throbbing at the sudden movement, and he swayed a bit. Charlie caught him before he fell and Apparated them quickly to the Burrow. Arriving just outside the yard at the Apparation point, Charlie practically carried the swaying Draco to the house.

"Mum!" Charlie yelled, entering the kitchen, "I need a little help here with this fat boy!"

Molly approached her son and their guest, wiping her hands on her apron. She helped her son take Draco into the living room so he could be laid on the couch.

"What did you all do to him?" Molly asked curiously of the blond lying in front of her.

"Your brilliant youngest son made me fall and get to know the edge of Ginny's bed personally," Draco groaned, holding onto his head.

Molly swept his shaggy hair to the side to see an already protruding bump on his head. "Oh dear," she tutted at it. "I'll go fetch some headache potion," she stated before scurrying off.

"What's your deal, Malfoy?" Charlie asked, spinning on Draco.

Draco was taken back at the sudden confrontation. His head was spinning still and had no idea how someone could move that fast. "What are you on about?"

"Don't play dumb, Malfoy. Are you trying to catch her on the rebound? Couldn't be content with the fact that she was your friend; you also have to have her as yours too? She's very vulnerable right…" Charlie's sentence was cut off by Draco sitting up abruptly, despite his aching head, to give Charlie a deathly look

"You Weasleys think you all know about your sister, but do you have any idea what is really going on with her?"

"She's upset about losing Harry, you prat! We all are, except you, of course!" Charlie spat at the young Malfoy.

"You know nothing about how I feel or the extent of Ginny's condition!"

"Then what…" Charlie was interrupted again by his mother entering the room and making a surprised noise.

Molly surveyed the scene cautiously. Charlie had been one of the more accepting people about Draco and she had no idea where his behaviour was coming from. Charlie gave his mum a stern look that stated he was handling the situation and to leave. Getting the hint, she gave Draco an apologetic look and the potion and left the room.

"I love Ginny; I have for so long now. I have had the courtesy to respect her up until now, why would that change all of a sudden? She's always been the only one to hear me out about anything and to break down the wall that my father helped me put up. I know she's vulnerable and hurting right now and I have no intention of harming her. All I have done is help her ease the pain she's feeling right now."

"How have you done that?" Charlie asked, narrowing his eyes at the younger man.

"I have my ways," Draco drawled, looking at his nails haughtily. When he took a peak up at Charlie he was looking down the unwavering wand of a dragon trainer.

"She only loves you when she's high, Malfoy," Charlie stated slowly, letting every word cut deep into the boy. Draco eyed him curiously. "I'm not stupid like you think all of us Weasleys are. I know Ginny, and slurred words and small pupils are not in her usual description."

Draco sat eyeing the elder Weasley son, wondering if he truly knew since he had not even seen Ginny in the past couple of months before seeing her at the hospital.

"Hermione told me when we got to St. Mungo's. Only me though, but I assure you that if you do not leave Ginny alone you will have to deal with more red-headed fury." Charlie lowered his wand and walked calmly from the room.

Draco sat watching where Charlie had just left with a still-splitting head. Forgetting the potion that Molly had given him, he reached into his pocket and retrieved a pill bottle Ginny hadn't found in her raid through his room. Opening it up and putting two pills in his mouth he leant back against the sofa and sighed. He realised that Ginny wouldn't stop doing the drugs since it helped her emotional pain, but what was causing her physical pain? Getting an idea he stood up quickly and Apparated back to St. Mungo's.

Running down the hall, he ran into the person he was searching for.

"Oy, Malfoy, look where you're going! Wait, didn't Charlie take you home to get some rest?" the bushy haired girl asked.

"Couldn't sleep if I tried, Granger, and no I don't want a Sleeping Draught so don't ask. I wanted to know who, besides Charlie, you told about the drugs."
Hermione hesitated a bit, curious about how Charlie had approached Draco about the subject, and why he was still in one piece in front of her. "Well… I only told Charlie and Ron."

"You told Ron? How in the bloody fuck could you tell Ron that she's doing drugs?" Draco yelled, flailing his arms about.

"I didn't exactly tell him that she was doing drugs as much as I told him that you were giving them to her," Hermione confessed hesitantly, eyeing Draco as if he could attack at any moment.

Draco let out a large sigh and ran his hand through his hair. He was normally so put together and calm, especially about what the Weasleys thought of him. Today was different though; he was in love with Ginny and wanted nothing more than to be with her. He knew that if Ginny's parents thought he was potentially harming her and precious Potter's baby then he was pretty much on the curb without family again. Suddenly, he stopped in his path and opened his eyes widely at the realisation that he had taken Potter's position. He was Ginny's man and the Weasley's adopted son, he was a member of the Weasley clan. Angered, he approached the wall and ran his fist into it. His parents were surely having seizures in their graves, and he was surely in a lot of pain.

Everything came back fast when he heard Hermione yelling for help, and he remembered he was in St. Mungo's. For the second time that day he was passed out cold on the institution's floor, only this time it was due to reality hitting him instead of the edge of Ginny's bed.

-->