Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness Year 4 by spacegal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness Year 4

spacegal

Chapter 6: Visitors, Surprise and Problems.

When it came time to make their way down to their Care of Magical Creatures once again, they did so with a sense of trepidation. They hadn't forgotten their last class and they weren't about to any time soon.

"Maybe one of us should talk to Hagrid about his lessons plans," Hermione suggested as she and Mia hung slightly behind the boys. Both girls glanced at each other before they looked at Harry, who just snorted at their implicit suggestion.

"Forget it - I'm not getting involved," Harry informed them. "If you want to sort out his lessons, talk to him yourselves." When they looked at Ron, he just put his hands in the air in another gesture of refusal.

They were making their way down from their next session of Defense Against the Dark Arts and found that Moody was focusing more on telling them about the spells rather than showing them. Harry, Ron, Draco and Hermione were quite relieved because they had a feeling that Mia would have seriously lost her temper if they had had to go through their first day again.

When they arrived at the paddock they say that Hagrid was pulling out fewer crates than before.

"Hagrid, what happened?" Ron asked hesitantly as he looked at the crates and Hagrid sighed.

"They got into a fight and it resulted in death for some of them," Hagrid told them, much to the relief of the students as Hagrid brought out a less dangerous animal.

It was cross between a mouse and a rabbit, much to the delights of the girls. It had soft black fur and a pink nose with bright blue or green eyes. That colour changed apparently depending on the mood of the animal.

Hermione couldn't help but grin at the animal that she was working with, a look that Harry noticed.

"What's so funny?" Harry asked curiously and Hermione turned her smile to him.

"He reminds me of you," Hermione admitted as she turned back to the animal, which just sat there and stared at her before moving closer and sniffing her fingers and rubbing its head against her palm. Harry rolled his eyes at Hermione, amused by her antics with the animals before he turned back to his.

Soon, class was over, much to the disappointment of the students, but Hagrid promised them that they would be able to come back and see the creatures any time they wanted. Harry got an idea with that statement about something he could do later.

As they made their way up to the castle they saw McGonagall standing in the doorway, waiting for the students to finish approaching her.

"Students, I want you to go up to your dorms and get changed into your best clothes," McGonagall informed them, leaving them all staring at each other about what that announcement could possibly mean.

"What's going on, Professor McGonagall?" Mia asked their Head and she sighed.

"We have visitors from the other schools coming today. You all must be on your best behaviour," she informed them, sending Mia a pointed glare, which she took offence too.

"Why, when it comes to behaviour, everyone looks at me?" Mia complained, causing everyone to look at her with an arched eyebrow and she rolled her eyes. "I'm nice!"

"Kids - change, now!" McGonagall spoke up and everyone hurried up to their dorms so they wouldn't risk the wrath of a teacher they all respected and feared.

So, everyone found themselves in the Great Hall. They all were freshly washed and had changed into clean clothes as they waited for these special visitors to come by whenever they were to come by. Ron was getting a bit impatient because it meant they had to wait until the visitors came before they could eat.

"You'd think they would speed up a little bit," he grumbled, much to the amusement of the other students around them, who were used to Ron's attitudes when it came to food. Dumbledore stood up and the doors slammed open, causing everyone to look towards the Hall entrance.

A procession of girls came in, all dressed in a silvery grey cloak in a dancing pattern that had most of the boys swooning. Once they reached a certain point, the girls opened their hands and released butterflies that flew around them as they continued down the Hall.

Mia just watched the whole scene with a look of disbelief on her face before she shook her head as an extremely large female stepped into the Great Hall with the rest of the females walking beside her.

"Oh…man," Seamus started only to get a threatening glare sent his way by Mia and wisely kept his mouth shut.

"Madam Maxime!" Dumbledore greeted as he moved down to greet the female and kissed her hand.

"Albus Dumbledore, it was nice of you to invite us here for this occasion," she informed him and Dumbledore waved it aside.

"I hope you will enjoy your stay," Dumbledore told her before he led her up over to the head table and sat her down. The doors were slammed open once more, drawing everyone's attention to the entrance once again.

This time a group of men came in to the Great Hall in a much more angular dance while slamming their staves onto the ground, sending off sparks.

A tall dark haired male stepped into the Great Hall with a shorter male next to him. Ron grabbed Mia's sleeves when he recognised the boy.

"That's Viktor Krum!" Ron exclaimed, causing the Gryffindor table to look at him before they looked back at the Quidditch star with awe on their faces. Harry stifled his laughter at this and Hermione rolled her eyes.

Mia just tugged her sleeve out of Ron's grip before she watched the men make their way towards the head table and finally settle down before she spoke.

"That is one big show off," Mia remarked into a sudden silence, causing the students from the other two schools to look at her and the table to bite back their sniggers.

"Mia," Lavender hissed, obviously embarrassed, but Mia didn't get the hint.

"What?" Mia asked. "They just came in here and started dancing - excuse me for not being impressed."

"Oh, Mia," McGonagall moaned as she covered her face before shaking her head in amusement.

"I'm sorry for not being entertaining enough for you," the dark haired male spoke up and Mia narrowed her eyes at the man.

"I know you... how do I know you?" Mia muttered to herself.

"Attention students!" Dumbledore called their eyes back to him. "Best behaviour," he reminded with a grandfatherly tone and amused glint in his eyes before he turned back to the man. "Welcome Igor," he greeted, causing gasps from Mia and Harry, who leaned over together - causing the rest to lean in, interested in hearing what they had to say.

"Wait a minute, Igor Karkaroff? As in the one who supported Voldemort but sold out nearly half of the Death Eaters to the Ministry in exchange for his freedom?" Harry asked.

"Dad is going to freak when he finds out that he is here!" Mia told Harry, who nodded in agreement.

"What's the problem?" Hermione asked, confused, and Harry turned to address her.

"Karkaroff was one of Voldie's Death Eaters. When he was captured, he gave up the names of a lot of death eaters in exchange for his own freedom. A lot of those are currently in prison thanks to him, and they want blood," Harry explained. Hermione winced as they sat back and watched the rest of the scene before Dumbledore turned to face them all.

"I'm sure you are all wondering what is happening. Well, this year Hogwarts is hosting a very special event - the Triwizard Tournament!" he informed them all and gasps of murmurs and excitement rose throughout the Hall. McGonagall tapped her glass to get everyone back under control. "The age to enter is 17 or over!"

This time, there were shouts of annoyance. The younger students weren't happy about the age restriction. As the noise grew progressively louder, Mia got more and more annoyed as a slight pounding started up in her temple.

"WILL YOU ALL SHUT UP?" Mia shouted and everyone looked at her. "I've read about these contests. They actually cancelled it because of the death rate -, everyone who is seventeen and above knows more spells. This contest is extremely dangerous, so if you wish to die a very painful death, then be my guest," she informed them and saw that they were all looking at her in amazement at what she had revealed while Harry covered his face in his hands.

"I knew it was a bad idea for her and Hermione to become best friends," Harry moaned only to jerk to the side when Hermione elbowed him in the stomach. "I meant that in a nice way."

"Sure you did," Hermione informed him, not convinced at all. She turned back to others. "Mia is right. That was why the Triwizarding was cancelled."

"As Miss Black and Miss Granger told you, the tasks ahead for the future champions of each school are very dangerous and injuries WILL be a part of the course," Dumbledore told them before he turned grave. "I warn you all to be very careful before you make your choices. Once your name is called out to participate, there is no going back." He clapped his hands, bringing everyone back to reality. "And now - dinner!"

Dinner appeared on the table and everyone launched into the food, desperate to assuage their hunger. Not long into the meal Mia noticed that the new boy kept looking over her way.

"What is it with that boy?" Mia demanded. "He keeps looking over here!" Everyone near Mia turned to see that Hunter was continually sneaking looks over at the table while Seamus shrugged.

"He probably fancies someone," Seamus told her dryly when Neville snorted into his drink, causing them to look at him and he blushed.

"Sorry, it's just…He does fancy someone from over here," Neville admitted.

"Who?" Lavender demanded as she fluffed up her hair and Neville rolled his eyes.

"He's been asking about Mia," Neville told them and Mia's eyes widened before they narrowed intensely.

"What do you mean, he's been asking about me?" Mia asked dangerously, and Dean rolled his eyes.

"Mia, it obviously means he's interested in you and is asking around to get an idea of you first before he approaches you," Dean told her. Mia just rolled her eyes.

"Why doesn't he just ask me himself?" Mia asked and the boys choked on their drinks, causing her to narrow her eyes at them. "Well?"

"Oh come on Mia," Fred exclaimed. "Any guy that comes near you ends up getting frostbite."

"No they don't," Mia informed him, insulted, while Hermione winced as she touched Mia's arm and drew her attention towards herself.

"Mia, you do have a habit of freezing guys out - the only ones you don't freeze out are the boys here at this table and Cedric," Hermione explained and Mia snorted softly.

"I think these guys are just making a bigger deal out of it than it is," Mia told them before she looked at everyone and doubt started niggling at her. "Do I really, though?"

"Sorry," the boys apologised, confirming their earlier statements. Mia sighed as she slumped down in her seat. "Hey, it's not a bad thing," Dean told her as he leaned over closer to her. "You just need to tone it down a bit. But the fact that Hunter is still asking about you indicates he really likes you."

"Right," Mia informed him before rolling her eyes. "Come on... why on earth would Hunter like me? He's the type of boy who would go for someone who takes cares of herself and actually gives a damn about what they look like."

"And I'm telling you that you're wrong and that he likes you," Dean informed her and she glared at him, causing the twins to jump in.

"Okay, how a small side bet?" Fred asked and they both looked at him. "If Dean is right, Mia has to do something for him. If Mia is right then Dean has to do something for her."

Mia and Dean looked at each other before turning to the twins.

"You're on," they both stated at the same time and Hermione covered her eyes. She had a feeling that this bet was going to blow up in everyone's faces in a bad way.

"You look like how I feel," Harry told Hermione, who shot him an exasperated look.

"Hey," Seamus hissed and everyone looked toward him and he nudged his head toward the Head Table. "Is it just me or does Hagrid seem smitten by Madam Maxime?"

Everyone's head spun around to look at the head table and they saw Hagrid was staring dreamily in Maxime's direction and Mia grinned.

"He's in love," Mia informed them and the girls sighed with delight while the boys rolled their eyes.

"How can you tell?" Ron asked and Mia grinned.

"Because we're girls," the girls all informed him at the same time. He shook his head and turned back to his food as everyone talked about what tasks could be in the tournament. After dinner was finally over they were all sent to bed.

*****************

A few days later Hermione was sitting in the Great Hall reading her book when she felt a cold shiver run down her back.

She looked up and saw Viktor Krum standing in the doorway with Igor speaking in low voices before another Drumstrang student hurried over and dragged Viktor away so that he could place his name in the Goblet.

Hermione frowned when Viktor looked at her before he placed his name in the goblet of fire before walking away. She didn't know his look was, but there was something about the guy that just made her feel weird.

She turned when she felt someone sitting next to her and smiled when she saw that it was Harry.

"Hey," she greeted. "What's up?" Harry shook his head.

"Nothing really. Ron wanted to come down here - apparently something is going to happen so he wants to be here to see it. I saw you sitting here and decided to join you," Harry explained and Hermione grinned.

"I'm glad you did," she told him and he arched an eyebrow. "That Krum guy has been giving me the creeps lately, but I don't know why," she admitted and Harry nodded.

"He fancies you," Harry told her and she gaped at him before laughing.

"Oh good one, Harry," she told him but Harry just looked at her seriously in such a way that caused her laugher to fade as reality set in on her. "Oh, please tell me you are kidding!"

"Sorry, but he's been asking about you," Harry told her and Hermione groaned as she grabbed his jumper.

"You are not leaving me alone at any time - you hear me?" she demanded and Harry nodded as he touched her hands.

"Relax, Hermione. I'm sure he won't do anything and even if he was, you can kick his ass no problem. If he still bothers you after that, I'll deal with him personally," Harry promised her and Hermione nodded, reassured as she let his lapels go before leaning into him.

They looked towards a loud commotion and saw that Cedric was being dragged over to the Goblet of Fire to place his name into it. Cedric shrugged at them before placing his name into the fire. As it went in the flame turned a bright blue, showing that it had accepted the name.

Everyone cheered while Hermione sighed.

"I'm so glad that you can't enter the tournament yourself," she informed Harry, who laughed and kissed her forehead.

"I have a feeling you would kill me yourself if I did," Harry told her before running his hand through her long brown locks. "Trust me - I have enough danger in my life already without entering a dangerous tournament."

"Did Cedric just enter himself?" a female voice asked and they turned to see Mia sitting down behind them.

"Yeah," Hermione told her. "Did he not tell you?" Mia rolled her eyes as she grinned down at her best friend.

"Despite what you may believe, Cedric and I are not attached at the hips," Mia reminded Hermione, who just grinned and Harry groaned.

"Come on girls, please," he begged and they laughed at his reaction. The doors slammed open and the twins came running, each with a bottle in their hands.

"We did it!" Fred exclaimed and the students near them started cheering, leaving Harry and Hermione confused and Mia rolling her eyes.

"Did what?" Harry asked softly.

"The twins created an aging potion - they want to enter but because of Dumbledore's aging line, they can't get close enough to put their names in," Mia explained.

"But that won't help them," Hermione told Mia and Harry. The twins overheard this and looked toward her.

"What do you mean by that?" George asked and Hermione arched an eyebrow.

"Age lines are not fooled by potions and all that - they go by your body age and your brain - because it's ingrained on what year and date you were born. The line can tell when someone is faking it," Hermione explained.

"We will prove you wrong," Fred informed her and Harry raised his eyebrow at the statement.

"Prove Hermione Granger wrong? The smartest student to walk in Hogwarts since Lily Evans Potter and Voldemort himself?" Harry asked before shaking his head. "Not possible."

"You are such a great ego buffer to have around," Hermione informed him jokingly, secretly pleased with his praise and Harry shrugged.

"Just stating the facts," Harry told her and they turned back to the twins, who took their potions and jumped over the age line.

Everyone watched with bated breath for a moment and then let out relieved laughter when the twins weren't chucked out. The twins slapped high fives and placed their names into the goblet. Everyone watched to see what would happen.

The fire went bright blue before a loud bang came from the inner circle, sending the twins out and burning the papers that had their names on them.

Once their eyes were back to normal, everyone looked towards the twins and laughed when they saw that each of them were sprouting beards that rivalled Dumbledore's.

"Told you guys," Harry informed the twins as he shook his head in vindicated amusement. Meanwhile the twins started to blame each other for messing the potion up and started fighting.

Professor McGonagall came in at that moment - she had wished to speak to Harry about something - when she caught the boys rolling around on the ground.

"Fred! George!" she shouted, causing everyone to jump and the twins to stop fighting. Fred was on top of George with his hands wrapped around his neck and McGonagall took in their appearance before she planted her hands on her hips. "Hospital Wing, now! And detentions with me!"

The twins grumbled as they got off the ground and headed out of the Great Hall as McGonagall turned to Katie and Angelica and asked them to accompany the twins so that there wouldn't be any more problems.

Professor McGonagall let out a long sigh before shaking her head and walking right back out of the Great Hall, obviously forgetting what she had entered for in the first place. The remaining witnesses from Hogwarts just sniggered to themselves as the students from the other two schools just looked at each other, obviously not amused at the antics from the students of their hosts.

************

After the entry period was over, everyone gathered once again in the Great Hall and waited for Dumbledore to start outlining the procedure to select the champions.

Dumbledore moved closer to the Goblet of Fire and looked around at his students and those from the two other schools before he spoke.

"Now is the time!" Dumbledore called out and everyone turned to look at him. "Now we find out who will represent each school in the Triwizard Tournament!"

There was a buzz of excitement building as they watched the scene. The goblet's blue flame flared higher and higher before it turned bright red, indicating it had chosen a participant. A loud roar came from the fire and a piece of paper shot out into the air before it slowly floated down to Dumbledore, who picked it clean and looked down at the paper before announcing a name.

"And the champion from Drumstrang is…Viktor Krum!" Igor clapped as Viktor stood up and punched the air. His school mates cheered, and Ron cheered as well, causing Mia to move away from his ear piercing whistle. "Yes, well done, Viktor. Now, if you please, head down into the back room," Dumbledore told Viktor as he handed him the piece of paper and watched him make his way obediently into the backroom.

The goblet changed colour again and another piece of paper shot out and floated down. Dumbledore grabbed it and looked out over the students. "And the participant from Beabuxtons is…Fleur Delacour!" The girls cheered and Fleur seemingly sighed in relief before she hugged her friends and hurried over to Dumbledore, who handed her paper over and allowed her to go into the backroom.

The goblet changed colours for a third and final time, picking its last champion. Dumbledore reached for the paper and looked at it. "The champion for Hogwarts is…Cedric Diggory!"

Everyone at Hogwarts cheered. Mia just sent Cedric a look of pride but she couldn't stop the niggling feeling that was now coiling up in the pit of her stomach. She brushed it off as being paranoid after everything that had happened to them over the years.

Cedric made his way over to Dumbledore, who clapped his shoulder and handed him the paper before Cedric made his way over the backroom.

"Now that all of our champions have been named, the tasks will begin shortly," Dumbledore informed them and turned around to head up to the head table.

Dumbledore was about to move toward Snape when he saw that Snape's eyes were fixated back towards the Goblet. Startled, Dumbledore spun around and saw that the Goblet of Fire was glowing brightly once again.

Dumbledore moved towards the Goblet just as it spat out another name into the air. Everyone stared in complete silence as it floated towards Dumbledore, who grabbed it and looked at it carefully before his face paled.

"What's going on?" the whispered murmurs ran around the Great Hall. Everyone was confused about why there had been a fourth selection.

"Did the Goblet just spit out another piece of paper?" Mia whispered to Ron, who nodded at her.

"Yeah," he told her before agreeing. "I thought it should only spit out three."

"It is - and that means we have a problem," Mia told him as she continued staring at Dumbledore. His blues eyes were looking around the room like he was searching for someone.

"Harry Potter!" Dumbledore shouted.

Harry's eyes widened in a mixture of shock and fear. Hermione gripped his arm as fear coursed through her body. Mia stood up in shock, while Ron just looked at Harry with fear in his eyes - it was no coincidence of what was going on.

Draco closed his eyes before he opened them carefully. His emotionless grey eyes landed on Harry - they were all going to have to be on their toes even more.

Harry slowly rose against the stares and silent accusations of all three schools and started his way to the front of the Hall.


TBC