Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness Year 4 by spacegal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness Year 4

spacegal

Chapter 7: Trouble, Solace and Annoyance.

"Harry, you need to go," Hermione whispered but Harry shook his head - he was convinced it was all one big nightmare. He had read what happened in various tasks of past tournaments and he didn't want to go through it.

Sirius' words from the summer kept bouncing about in his brain - this was a set up. But there was no way they could prove it.

"Harry Potter!" Dumbledore shouted again. Mia reached down and pushed Harry off the bench and shoved him in Dumbledore's direction - she needed him to get a move on so that they could figure out what happened.

Harry stumbled over to Dumbledore. He couldn't believe that this was happening to him. Wasn't he in enough danger each year he came back to Hogwarts thanks to Voldemort? Someone else has to put him in danger?

He stopped in front of Dumbledore, who handed him the piece of paper. Harry took it and saw his name clearly written on it before he woodenly headed over to the backroom, just wanting to get it over and done with so he could wake up and pretend it was all a bad dream.

Harry stepped down in the back room where the other champions were being held so their teachers could come and explain to them what was going to happen.

They looked up and saw Harry standing there. Cedric frowned when he saw the pale look on Harry's face and the slightly wild eyes.

"Harry?" Cedric asked as he moved closer to the younger boy before he saw something in Harry's hands. He reached out and gently tugged the paper out of Harry's grip only for his eyes to widen when he saw Harry's name on it and realised what must have happened.

"What's going on - do they need us back outside?" Viktor asked but Cedric shook his head for Harry.

"No, he was named a champion as well," Cedric told them, speaking for Harry when Dumbledore came rushing in and grabbed Harry's shirt, shaking him.

Meanwhile, outside, Snape was about to enter the backroom after the rest of the adults when three people came rushing over to the door. He sneered at them as he blocked the doorway to prevent them from entering.

"Where do you three think you are going?" Snape asked and Hermione gaped up at him.

"To protect Harry from your abuse!" Hermione informed him before they simply pushed past him and made their way into the backroom.

They stopped short when they saw Dumbledore shaking Harry by his shirt. Mia quickly moved over to them and pushed her way in between them. Dumbledore took a step back when he saw the dangerous glint in her eyes as Ron and Hermione slid next to her, all three of them protecting Harry.

"You three shouldn't be in here!" Crouch informed them but Mia just ignored him.

"Harry isn't going to enter the tasks," Mia informed Dumbledore with a deadly tone to her voice.

"He shouldn't have been picked in the first place!" Madam Maxime demanded.

"One must wonder how Potter got his name into the Goblet," Snape informed everyone and Harry lost it.

"Oh sure - blame me," Harry remarked, causing everyone to look at him. "That's the highlight of your day - blame me for everything that went wrong and hope that it will actually stick - what? I don't have enough problems in my life that you need to make it seem like I'm asking for everything?"

"Mr. Potter!" Crouch uttered, scandalized but Moody waved his hand, telling the man to be quiet.

"Potter, despite what you may believe, my life does not revolve around you," Snape sneered at him and Harry snorted.

"Excuse me if I don't get that impression - you want to blame me for everything that goes wrong - why? Does it make you feel like a better man? Next time, quit using me to take the spotlight off your soul!" Harry snapped, causing Dumbledore and Snape to share a brief quick look at each other before they looked at Harry, hoping that no one had seen them.

But one person did - Hermione, who frowned, wondering what had startled the two men.

"He could have easily confunded the cup," Karkaroff informed everyone and Mia snorted.

"It takes extremely dark magic to confund a cup like that," Mia remarked.

"She's right, that one," Moody muttered. "It's not an easy thing to bewitch a powerful object like that. Someone went to a lot of trouble to put Harry's name in it and to make sure it came out."

"How would you know something like that?" Karkaroff demanded as he looked at Moody.

"When you chase after Dark things all the time, you figure some things out," Moody retorted back before taking a sip from his flask.

"Why not just take Harry out of the Tournament - he's only fourteen years old and it's obvious that it's a set up," Ron told them. Dumbledore turned to Crouch for answers.

"What can we do?" Dumbledore asked Crouch, who just looked hard at Harry before sighing.

"The rules are clear - Harry Potter must complete the Championship," Crouch told them. "He has no choice."

"No," Hermione snapped and everyone looked at her. "No, I refuse to let Harry go through this! He could die!"

"Hermione," Harry whispered as he reached out and took gentle hold of Hermione's arms with tears pooling in her eyes. She shook her head in disbelief. Harry just pulled her into his arms and held her close as she clutched the back of his robes, burying her face into his neck.

McGonagall spun around to look at the others after watching her two favourite students hold on to each other for dear life.

"There must be something you can do!" she exclaimed. "Harry is too young to go through this!"

"Sorry, but it's a binding contract on his name. He has no choice but to compete," Dumbledore told them. Hermione just held onto Harry tighter.

"So, anyone could write Harry's name and not get into trouble?" Mia demanded. "What the hell are you guys trying to pull? This kind of stuff is ridiculous!"

"Miss Black," Crouch started but Mia was on one of her rolls.

"Not to mention illegal - you are not allowed to have a binding contract based on someone's name - it has to be based on his signature and that's not Harry's handwriting!" Mia informed them, throwing the piece of parchment at them.

"There's nothing we can do!" Crouch demanded.

"Declare a tie - Harry and Cedric both come from Hogwarts and therefore, it's null and void. Start the Goblet of Fire up again," Mia informed them.

"It doesn't work like that!" Crouch snapped; annoyed with this silly little girl who thought she knew everything.

"What?" Mia demanded. "Are you telling me that Harry has to compete - he's fourteen years old for fucks sake!"

"Miss Black, mind your language!" Professor McGonagall snapped. She might be in agreement with Mia, but she wasn't going to put up with foul language in her castle.

"Sorry Professor McGonagall," Mia apologised before she took a deep breath and closed her eyes, counting to ten and hoping to God that she wasn't going to punch anyone. "Harry can't compete - he's too young and this is too dangerous."

"He has no choice," Crouch snapped and Mia threw up her hands as she spun around to face Harry.

"You see why I never wanted to come back to this world?" Mia demanded and Harry nodded his understanding.

"Harry, come on mate - let's go to bed. It's obvious that none of the adults except Professor McGonagall actually care about your welfare," Ron told him, disgusted with the adults' reactions.

Ron couldn't believe what was happening right in front of him and it sickened him that they would willingly allow a fourteen year old to participate - against the rules - without putting up any kind of fight at all.

"Yeah," Harry agreed as he turned Hermione gently and all four of them walked out of the room, leaving the three champions and the adults alone.

**************

McGonagall was walking after Dumbledore at high speed. She was determined to get Harry out of the situation he was in and she wanted to make sure that everyone knew about her displeasure with it as well.

"You have to get Harry out of this!" McGonagall informed Dumbledore as they made their way into the Headmaster's office. "It's far too dangerous!"

"One must seize the opportunity," Snape informed them and Dumbledore nodded, getting the message. McGonagall looked at Snape for a moment till her eyes widened in comprehension and shock.

"What? Offer him up as bait? Harry is a human being, not a piece of meat!" McGonagall exclaimed. "Besides, I have no doubts that Miss Granger would try and kill anyone who dares to hurt Harry!"

"We have to play along with this plot - this could be our chance to finding out who did this to Harry," Dumbledore informed McGonagall.

"Are you serious?" she demanded. "Harry has been in danger since he arrived back in the Wizarding World - You-Know-Who has been trying to get him! Are you seriously going to put Harry through this when he is a fourteen year old boy?!"

"One who has seen enough danger to learn caution!" Dumbledore shot back and she glared at him.

"He is forced to be cautious because of who he is! You-Know-Who killed his parents! He was orphaned at the age of one! Mia is a half orphan because her mother was killed at Voldemort's hand too! Those children have been through too much for you to put them through this!" McGonagall informed the headmaster with an icy glare. "If you thought last year was bad enough - what the hell do you think this year will be?"

"This discussion is over!" Dumbledore snapped at his Deputy Head, causing her to take a step back in shock. "Harry is one of the champions, and we must now focus on learning who is behind this plot. Anyone could be the traitor, and we have to make sure that we do not startle them into making a fatal mistake." Dumbledore lifted his wand and placed the tip of it to the side of his head. He pulled out a slivery strand and brought it down to a large bowl that had blue liquid in it already filled with similar sliver strands.

The bowl changed as the new strand joined it and it turned itself into a picture of the parchment that had Harry Potter's name written on it.

"We must be on our guard more than ever," Dumbledore told them, leaving the other two staring at him in silence.

****************

The next morning, Harry sighed as he made his way out of the common room. He wasn't interested in going to the Great Hall to have breakfast and was about to make his way to the kitchens when he saw Hermione walking towards him.

"Hey Harry," Hermione greeted as she walked up over to him. He looked at her and noticed that she had a bundle of toast wrapped up in a napkin in her hand. "Why don't we take a walk around the lake?" Harry smiled as he reached out and wrapped an arm around her waist. They both walked out onto the grounds to get away from all the gossip.

Mia, on the other hand, was coming from the library when she bumped into someone.

"Sorry," she told them as she knelt down to pick up her books only for a hand to land on hers. She looked up and found herself staring in to the dark eyes of Hunter Wolfe.

"It's no problem," Hunter told her as he helped her pick up her books before handing them to her as they stood up.

"Thanks," Mia informed him warily, which Hunter noticed, and grinned.

"You do realise that I don't bite, right?" Hunter asked teasingly and she nodded, though obviously not letting her guard down. Hunter sighed. "You are one tough cookie to crack."

"Yeah - considering the fact you've been asking around about me - excuse me for being a little cautious," Mia informed him and Hunter sighed as he ran a hand through his locks.

"Yeah, I was hoping that you wouldn't find out about that," Hunter admitted and Mia arched an eyebrow at that.

"Why?" she asked. "If someone was asking about me, I have the right to know about it."

"Look, it's kinda complicated," Hunter started and Mia nodded.

"Okay, let me know when it gets uncomplicated," she informed him before walking past him and striding off, leaving Hunter staring at her behind before he snapped his eyes and shook his head.

"Not going there," he warned himself as he walked into the library.

******************

Harry and Hermione found themselves sitting at the base of the large tree that was next to the lake. Hermione was leaning into Harry as her head rested on his shoulder as they both stared out over the water.

They had finished their toast long before and were currently enjoying the calm silence together with nothing around to annoy them. Their moment was interrupted when a flash of white caught Harry's eyes.

Looking up, he saw Hedwig heading towards him with a letter in her claws. Harry extended his arm and Hedwig circled the tree first before swooping down and landing on Harry's arm, adjusting herself until she got comfortable.

"You got a letter for me girl?" Harry asked as he stroked her breast feathers. Hedwig hooted softly in pleasure and her eyes closed before Harry reached down and gently extracted the letter from her claws.

Harry, I'm worried about this. I don't like the fact that someone put your name in the Goblet of Fire and that it's now a magical contract based on your name. I will be coming up - keep a close eye out for anyone who may wish you harm. Keep an eye on Mia too.

Sirius

Harry read out before sighing. Hermione reached out and touched his shoulder in comfort.

"It'll be okay," she whispered. "It has to be."

"Yeah, I've gotten out of tighter spots than this," Harry half joked to her only for it to fall flat when he got a sad look in his direction. "I'll be fine Hermione, I promise."

"You can't promise that," she informed him softly and Harry sighed. He wrapped his other arm around Hermione's shoulder while Hedwig moved up to Harry's own shoulder and settled herself there.

"I know," Harry admitted as he rested his head on top of hers and they both stared out over the lake, wishing that the rest of the world was far away.

**************

Harry was making his way to class. He was walking along the castle path and was about to enter the courtyard when a bunch of Slytherins stopped him at the doorway. Harry arched an eyebrow when he saw that Pansy was leading the group.

"What's the matter Pansy - can't pick on Mia so you decided to see if you could pick on me?" Harry asked, boredom filling his tone. Pansy flushed at the insult before she flipped her hair back and showed off her new badge.

"Like our badges, Potter?" Pansy asked and Harry obligingly reviewed it. It showed Cedric's face with the saying 'Support Cedric, True Hogwarts Champion' before it changed to Harry's face with the saying 'Potter stinks'. Harry arched an eyebrow.

"Boring and unoriginal," Harry informed Pansy, who gaped at him and Harry grinned. "Man, you purebloods need to get out into the muggle world more often - they are already three steps ahead of you on that."

He was about to brush by them but a new voice spoke up.

"Got a problem here?" a female voice asked and everyone spun around to see Mia standing there with her arms crossed over her chest. "Because if there is, well, let's just say that I'm good when it comes to fixing problems."

"No problem here," one of the Slytherins stated nervously and Pansy snorted.

"Oh please, she's just a half blood - she can't do anything to us," Pansy informed her group before she smirked at Mia. "She wouldn't dare."

"Interesting badge," Mia informed her, ignoring the dare. "Childish - but then again, what should I expect from a pureblood who can't even tie her own shoes?"

"You filthy little…" Pansy started only for Mia to wag her finger in her face.

"Uh, uh - if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all," Mia informed her, quoting the line from the Bambi film that Thumper's mother had used on him.

"Cedric is the real Hogwarts Champion - you'd do well to stick by him," Pansy informed Mia, who rolled her eyes.

"Hello - I know this is a little too much for your tiny brain to comprehend, but the Goblet of Fire was only supposed to spit out three names. It spat out four - so why don't you do the math and wake up," Mia informed her before she reached over and linked arms with Harry. "Besides, blood is thicker than water."

With that, both of them walked off. But Pansy wasn't going to allow her to get away so easily, so she whipped out her wand and pointed at Mia's back only for a loud voice to make them all jump.

"OH NO YOU DON'T LASSIE!" a loud male voice shouted and everyone spun around to see a dirty brown ferret standing where Pansy used to be.

"Transfiguration," Harry and Mia stated together as understanding dawned on them.

"Using your wand at someone's back - what a cowardly thing to do!" Moody raged as he moved closer to the ferret, which was squeaking and squealing like mad.

Moody flicked his wand and the ferret started bouncing up and down on the ground with a hard thud each time it hit. After a few bounces, it stopped in the air and started spinning around faster and faster, almost making everyone dizzy just watching it.

Moody then flicked his wand and the ferret landed on one of the other Slytherins and slipped down the boy's shirt, causing it to scramble as it fought to get out from its trap when a voice interrupted them all.

"Professor Moody!" a female voice cried out and everyone spun around to see Professor McGonagall bearing down on the group. "What are you doing?" She stopped next to Moody with her hands on her hips.

"Teaching a lesson," Moody informed her as he continued to once again bounce the ferret.

"Teaching a less…" McGonagall trailed off as understanding dawned on her. "Is that a student?" she demanded.

"Yes Madam," Moody informed her, incensing McGonagall even more.

"NO, NO, NO!" McGonagall shouted as she whipped out her wand and pointed it at the ferret, restoring Pansy. "We do not use transfiguration as punishment - you issue them detention and talk to their head of house!"

"Ah, I forgot about that," Moody admitted as he scratched the back of his head before he grabbed Pansy by the collar and yanked her up. "Your Head would be Snape, wouldn't it? I've been meaning to have a word with him." And with that, he walked off, dragging an insulted and banged up Pansy behind him.

"Lovely," Mia whispered to Harry, who just grinned.

"You do realise that Ron is going to kick himself for not being there, right?" Harry told her and Mia grinned back.

"We just won't tell him then," she told him and they both walked off laughing.

McGonagall just stared after them with a light heart. She was glad to see that Harry wasn't letting anything keep him down for long. She had a feeling that he would need all the laughter he could get.

They were back in Potions class and Harry was about to start collecting his ingredients when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in!" Snape barked and the door opened to reveal Colin Creevey standing in the doorway. "Yes Mr. Creevey?"

"The Headmaster requests Harry Potter in the Great Hall for photographs," Colin told Snape, who sighed.

"Fine Potter, leave your bags and supplies - you'll catch up when you return," Snape informed Harry.

"Actually, Harry is to be excused from his class - he won't be coming back," Colin jumped in and Snape sneered at the young man.

"Fine Potter, you have homework - take your stuff and get out of my sight," Snape informed him. Harry sighed as he grabbed his stuff before shooting a look at Hermione, who gave a small nod, understanding what Harry wanted.

Harry left the Potions lab and looked down at Colin as they made their way out of the dungeons.

"What does Dumbledore want me for?" Harry asked.

"You have a photo-shoot and wand weighing," Colin informed Harry, who let out another sigh before shaking his head.

"Great," He muttered as they arrived at the Great Hall.

"I'll catch you later Harry," Colin told him before he left Harry standing at the entrance. Harry looked up at the doors for a moment before he pushed one of the doors open and stepped in.

Looking around, he saw Cedric standing off to the side. Cedric looked his way and shot him a small smile. Viktor Krum and Fleur Delcour also looked his way but didn't show any reaction. Obviously they weren't happy that a fourteen year old has to participate in the Tri-Wizarding. When Harry moved closer to Cedric, Ollivander stepped into the room after Dumbledore, Crouch and the other two heads.

"Is everyone here?" Crouch asked, looking around and smiled when he saw that all four of them were present. "Good - I have called you here for the weighing of the wands and photo-shoot."

"If you all would please get your wands out and hand them to Ollivander so he can look at them?" Crouch ordered. Harry brought out his wand, grateful that he had gotten the wand cleaning kit and cleaned his wand every morning - Hermione had lectured him on the cleanliness of a wand.

"A clean wand means a wand that will work properly," she had informed him. Harry shook his head to come back to reality when he heard Ollivander calling his name.

Harry handed his wand to Ollivander, who took it and shot Harry a secret smile before winking.

"Harry's wand is in perfect condition," Ollivander told the others before handing Harry his wand back. Harry took it and placed it into his front pocket when all of a sudden the doors slammed open, causing everyone to jump slightly.

A short blonde woman stepped in. She had on dark red lipstick and she wore strange glasses. She had on a dark green suit while a crocodile handbag scuttled after her. She was holding a long quill in one hand and a notepad in another and a photographer chasing after her.

"Who are you?" Cedric and Harry exclaimed at the same time before they looked at each other and then back at the new visitor.

"Rita Skeeter!" Rita exclaimed before she smiled brightly at the champions. "And those are our new champions?"

"Yes, they are," Dumbledore informed her and Rita clapped her hands together before snapping her fingers and her photographer came forward.

"Let's take a picture of our wonderful champions together!" Rita told him and he nodded as he set up the camera.

Harry sighed as he crossed his arms as Rita and the photographer started fighting over who was to sit in the chair in front and where the others would stand.

After the fifth time of moving them about, Harry lost his temper.

"Just take the goddamn picture!" Harry snapped. "I have better things to do with my time than stand around here and act like I'm happy being forced into this stupid game!" Rita's face lit up when Harry said this and moved closer to him.

"Harry, mind if we have a little talk?" Rita asked and Harry scoffed.

"Yes, I do mind - I'm not talking to any reporter who thinks Fudge is the best thing since chocolate," Harry informed him. "Besides, I'm busy. I do have an education to attend to." With that, Harry walked quickly out of the Hall, leaving the rest of the champions and Rita stunned - though Cedric and Ollivander were staring after the young man with an impressed smirk on their faces.

TBC