Unofficial Portkey Archive

At the Beginning With You by husker_fan_2006
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

At the Beginning With You

husker_fan_2006

Chapter 15: The Whole Truth and Nothing But the Truth

-------------------------

Life is a road
And I want to keep going
Love is a river

I wanna keep flowing
Life is a road
Now and forever
Wonderful journey

I'll be there when the world stops turning
I'll be there when the storm is through
In the end I wanna be standing
At the beginning with you

- `At the Beginning' by Richard Marx and Donna Lewis from the movie Anastasia

-------------------------------

That Monday, Harry was bored to death all day long. With Hermione at school teaching, and no Teddy, he didn't really know what to do during the day. He read a few books, watched TV, and just lounged around, trying to keep his mind off of his problems. All he had for company was Kreacher, and even though the house elf was nicer and loyal to Harry, he wasn't the same as having someone like Hermione to talk to. The one thing he wished he hadn't read was the update in the Daily Prophet about the story that appeared the day before. The article (again written by Rita Skeeter), basically was telling the public that Harry had been sacked, and Teddy had been taken away from him permanently. Which was true, just not the permanent talk. He ended up throwing the paper away without reading much else in it.

Along with the paper that morning, an enormous pile of mail had been delivered to him, most of it hate mail. Kreacher helped Harry sort through it, sorting the hate mail from the support mail. Because for every stack of hate mail there was, a stack of support mail almost as big was next to it. His hate mail varied, some were full of guilt and implied shame, others were worse. Harry didn't read a lot of them, but one did catch his eye that he really thought he needed to read, and that was a letter from Mrs. Weasley. Harry was worried about what would be written on the page inside the envelope; Ron had told him that most likely all of the Weasleys besides himself and George believed that Ginny was telling the truth. So honestly, he was dreading opening the letter. When he finally got up the courage to read it, he found that it wasn't full of disappointment or malice. Actually, her letter belonged in his support pile. It read,

Dear Harry,

I read the article in the Prophet about what has been going on between you and my daughter at school. And I have to say, I believe that you had nothing to do with this. I never thought Ginny was capable of telling such horrible lies just to get back at someone for something petty as a relationship. This is her way of throwing a fit just because she didn't get her way, and I'm sorry to say that Arthur and I are part of the reason she's like this. She's our only daughter. For years, we wanted a girl, don't get me wrong, I love all my boys, but we wanted a girl too. And since Ginny was our only daughter, I'm afraid she got a little spoiled. And so she's always used to getting things her way. We never meant for her to grow up like that, but when you've hoped and prayed so much for a daughter after having six boys, we did it without thinking.

Believe me, Harry; I'll be talking to her about all this. And I won't be gentle about it either. I know right now it seems like things are very bleak, and that there's no light at the end of the tunnel, but I know everything will turn out alright. This mess will get all sorted out, I'm sure of it. It has to. And I'll try to do everything I can to help, I promise.

Molly

I promise. That sentence was one that Harry had heard the most in the last two days. I promise. He just hoped that all the people that were promising him things would pull through. He was glad to have Mrs. Weasley on his side, and he supposed that Mr. Weasley too was on his side.

He decided to stop reading his letters; he was getting tired of being reminded of the situation he was in. For the rest of the day, he lazed around the house, watching TV, reading, and towards the end of the afternoon, since he really did nothing of consequence all day, he got tired and ended up taking a nap. He was brought out his nap by someone shaking his shoulder.

"Harry," the voice said softly. "Hey, Harry." Harry woke up to find Hermione kneeling next to him, her hand still on his shoulder.

"Hermione? What are you doing here; don't you have classes to teach?"

Hermione smiled. "It's six o'clock in the evening. Classes are done for the day. I decided to come and check on you." Harry rubbed his eyes and sat up. Once he had made room on the couch, Hermione sat next to him. She said teasingly, "I see your day amounted to a lot."

"Yeah, I was really busy today," Harry said sarcastically.

"I saw the pile of mail on the kitchen table. Anything worth reading in there?"

"Mrs. Weasley sent one."

"What'd she have to say?"

"She believes me."

"Really? I would've thought she would've sided with Ginny. But that's good."

"Other than that, most of the letters are from people saying I should be burning in hell and all that other bull."

"Well, I have some good news for you."

"What is it?"

"Professor McGonagall said to tell you that they're going to bring Ginny in tomorrow evening to ask her about this whole situation. There will be an impartial person there, and maybe a couple more people. But they're going to get it straightened out."

"Good. Are you going to be there?"

"No. I don't think I'd be much of a help. I'm far from an impartial party."

"But I need you there, Hermione. I need you to by my eyes and ears for the whole thing; I have to know how it goes. Please." Reluctantly, Hermione shook her head.

"Alright. I'll be there."

"Thank you so much, Hermione," Harry grinned. "You're the best friend a guy could ask for. What would I do without you?"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Hermione said, waving the flattery off. "You owe me now, you know." She tried to look serious, but couldn't keep herself from smiling.

"You're right. I'll grade all your classes' papers for a month."

"Hermione snorted and laughed, "Yeah right."

-----------------------------

Hermione arrived early to Professor McGonagall's office the next evening. She explained to the Headmistress that she was Harry's representation and he wanted her to be there. She fully agreed, and they sat chatting while waiting for the other people to show up.

"Well, one of the members of the Wizengamot is on her way here. Patricia Webber is one of the interrogators on the Wizengamot and is a very fair woman. She'll be impartial. Professor Slughorn has provided the Veritaserum, Madam Webber thought it best that the potion be placed in a cup of tea. A reporter from the Daily Prophet will be here, no it's not Rita Skeeter," McGonagall said when Hermione made a face at the mention of reporters.

"No, this one is a male, so I'm told. Oh, and also, Molly Weasley contacted me this morning and has offered to be present. She said she'd help the interrogation along, try and make sure it all goes to plan" Hermione's eyes widened in surprise.

"Really? Well, I suppose. She sent Harry a letter yesterday saying she believed him. So I guess that doesn't really surprise me."

"So as far as I know, those are all the people who'll be here tonight, including you and me.

"Do you think he'll get cleared?"

"He's got the truth on his side. Hopefully everyone will be able to see that."

"I hope so too." Mrs. Weasley was the first one to arrive. When she came into the office, she greeted the two already there right away, and gave Hermione a hug.

"I haven't seen you in so long, Hermione. How've you been doing?"

"Well, alright until this whole thing came about."

"I understand. I'm sure Harry's feeling the same way. He's probably been pretty lonely lately without little Teddy, hasn't he?"

"Yeah, he has," Hermione said nodding.

"Well, I hope we can get this all straightened out so Teddy can live with him again. And he can get his job back." They didn't get a chance to say anything more to each other at that moment, for the next member of the interrogation party arrived, the interrogator herself. Madam Webber was an older woman, with streaks of gray in her long auburn hair that she had pulled back into a loose bun. She was on the short side, and a little stout. But she looked friendly and fair. She smiled and shook Professor McGonagall's hand.

"Headmistress, good to see you." She also shook hands with Mrs. Weasley and Hermione. "Molly, it's good to see you again. How's Arthur doing?"

"He's fine, how's Robert?"

"Pesky. He's downright ornery now that he's retired from Healing. Gets all these crazy ideas about things he wants to do. Just last week, he decided he wanted to swim the English Channel without using any magic. The man's crazy. So this must be Miss Granger. I've heard a lot about you. Robert had mentioned at one time that you were interested in becoming a Healer, right? St. Mungo's was really looking forward to having you on staff. But from what my granddaughter tells me about how good of a teacher you are, I think you've found your niche."

"Who is your granddaughter?"

"Aldys Moore. She's a first year."

"Oh, ok. Ravenclaw, I enjoy having her in class, she has a lot of good insights at times."

"Yes, she's a deep thinker. We've all got high hopes for her."

The reporter was the next one to arrive at McGonagall's office. He introduced himself as Barrett Smyth. He was quite handsome. He was tall with dark brown hair and deep blue eyes. He wasn't all that much older than Hermione, probably in his early to mid twenties. He introduced himself to McGonagall, Mrs. Weasley, and Madam Webber, and when he got to Hermione, he smiled and said,

"So you're Hermione Granger. I've heard a lot about you."

"None of it good, I suppose, since you work at the Prophet."

"Well, you're right. Lately the talk about you hasn't been friendly. About you or Harry. But I'm glad to be able to meet you finally. I've wanted to for some time."

"Really?"

"Yes, like I said, I've heard a lot about you. You're much prettier than the pictures."

"Aww, that's sweet."

"Well," Barrett said to McGonagall, "Is Miss Weasley on her way?"

Looking at the clock, Professor McGonagall said, "Yes, I said I wanted to meet with her at seven, she should be here soon." Ginny arrived a little after seven. She looked a little surprised to see her mother there, along with Hermione and another woman she didn't know. She didn't see Barrett, for he had placed himself in a corner in the back of the office where he could hear and see without being seen.

McGonagall smiled a forced smile, "Have a seat, please Ginny. Now, I think you know what this is about. And this is all part of procedure; we need for you to stat exactly what has been happening so an appropriate action can be taken. Madam Webber here will be asking you a few questions, and your mother is here for support."

"Well, what about Hermione-sorry, Professor Granger? Why is she here?"

Madam Webber stepped forward, leaned against McGonagall's desk and folded her arms and said, "Since this is dealing with the law, the law requires there to be three witnesses plus the interrogator present. That's why we've asked Professor Granger to be here." Ginny seemed to buy it, they all had to make sure she didn't start getting too curious, otherwise the Veritaserum wouldn't work if she knew what was coming.

Madam Webber said, "Professor McGonagall, would you maybe get us all some tea?" McGonagall nodded and busied herself getting the tea. Hermione glanced over just as she was pouring the crystal clear liquid that was the Veritaserum into Ginny's cup. The tea was served, and Madam Webber began her questioning, killing time until the Veritaserum kicked in.

"So, Miss Weasley, please explain to us everything that has been going on lately with you and Professor Potter."

"Well, Harry and I used to date. And after some..." she looked at Hermione. "issues, we broke up. He used the excuse that I wasn't mature enough to be able to stay in a relationship with him. So I let it go," Hermione about snorted at that comment, "and then nothing more was said about it until I got to school. After my first class with Harry, he asked to see me after class and talked about wanting to get back together. I told him I didn't want to since he was my teacher and all, but he wouldn't leave it alone."

Hermione bit her tongue to prevent herself from speaking out. She was absolutely furious, and couldn't believe how Ginny could just sit there so calmly and tell an enormous bald faced lie. Even Mrs. Weasley looked as though she wanted to say something too. She knew for a fact that Ginny didn't "let it go" after Harry broke up with her. Just then, the Veritaserum started to kick in. Ginny's eyes became unfocused and her jaw slightly slackened.

"Alright, Miss Weasley, explain this all again, please."

"Harry and I broke up this summer after he adopted Teddy. I didn't want him to adopt Teddy because I was afraid. Afraid for Harry, for Teddy is a werewolf, and afraid that if he adopted Teddy, along with Hermione's help, everything I've feared since I was in second year would happen."

"What would that be?"

"That Harry and Hermione would see what everyone has seen as long as they've known each other. That they're meant to be. I've heard that a baby can bring people together, and I was afraid that it was bound to happen once he and she adopted Teddy."

"So what was the reason for the first article? Why did you go to Rita Skeeter the first time?"

"I was angry."

"And what's been going on since school began? Is what was in the article true?"

"It was semi-true. Only I was the one initiating the whole thing. Even if Harry wanted to, he wouldn't have gotten involved since I'm his student."

"Then why did you tell the newspapers otherwise?"

"I wanted to get back at them. I hated this whole situation with them teaching, and then the fact that they were always inseparable. I wanted to get back at them."

"Them?"

"Harry and Hermione. It's been so frustrating for years, even when Harry and I were dating; Hermione was still up on a pedestal that no girl could ever be measured up to. Even when they were having a little tiff over a book their sixth year, she still was up on that pedestal, and no matter what anyone would say about her, he'd never take her off of it."

"So you fashioned a story to get back at Harry and Hermione for being close friends. What made you think to go this far as to make up a story that could ruin a man's career and life?"

"Because he wouldn't help me, I needed his help."

"Whose help?"

"Malfoy's. He talked with me earlier this year and offered to help me get back at them. But then when I agreed and asked him what his ideas were, he chickened out and had this whole weird change of heart. Said it had something to do with something Harry said to him. So since I didn't have his help, this was the best I could come up with." Madam Webber sighed and shook her head.

"Well, I think we've got all we need. Miss Granger, you can let Mr. Potter know how things went tonight. And tell him tomorrow I'll stop by to see him after I've discussed with the school governors about the action they plan to take on this. But, Headmistress," she said, turning to McGonagall. "As far as I'm concerned, Professor Potter can have his job back. And we'll speak with the social services to see about getting Teddy Lupin back to Harry as soon as possible."

Hermione could hardly contain her smile as Madam Webber was speaking. She couldn't wait to get back to Grimmauld Place to tell Harry.

"Alright, I told the governors I'd meet them after the interrogation to discuss what happened, so I should probably get going," Madam Webber said. "Molly, the Veritarserum should wear off in about a half hour or so. She'll be a little disoriented right away, but she should be fine in a few minutes."

"We'll keep her here till the potion wears off," McGonagall said. "Just to be sure she'll be alright to return back to the Common Room."

"Well, then I should get going then. Molly, it was good to see you again, say hello to Arthur for me."

"I will, it was good to see you again too, Rachel, I just wish it had been on different circumstances." Madam Webber and Mrs. Weasley spoke for a little while longer before Madam Webber politely said goodbye to everyone else and left the office. Barrett came out of his corner and came up to say goodbye and that the article would be in the morning Prophet the next day. With a charming smile and a wink to Hermione, he left the office too.

When Hermione got back to Grimmauld Place, she found Harry pacing the living room floor. He nervously ran a hand through his hair and stopped pacing when he heard her come in. He gave her a questioning look that was mixed with fear.

Hermione smiled and said, "Welcome back, Professor."

A/N: Hey everyone, here's chapter 15 for you all! Sorry it's been so long since I've posted, I've had a couple papers that were due these last two weeks and I would always feel so guilty for writing on this chapter when I should've been writing my papers. But I think I've got all my papers written, so hopefully I'll have more time to write. But then there's three weeks left of school, then after that I'm off to Europe, so between now and the first week of June, I'd be lucky if I get at least one more chapter out. Spring is so busy!! Anyways, hope you enjoyed the next chapter; things are looking up for our characters!!

Husker_fan_2006

-->