Unofficial Portkey Archive

Pride and Prejudice by magpie_igraine
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Pride and Prejudice

magpie_igraine

Author notes: This is a mini-chapter that I should've posted yesterday, but I wanted some feedback and got it. Thanks guys. I'll be updating every three days or so…

Disclaimer: I own nothing (except for Pride and Prejudice. I own that. It's mine. But apparently I have to share it with everyone because it's 'public domain.')

Summary: Harry and Hermione's conversation begins on the balcony…

--------------------------

When the light reached his face, the first thing she noticed were his eyes and their indescribable loveliness.

So green…how do eyes get that green? she asked herself, awed by their color and intensity.

She shook off the thought, angry that she had so little control over her reaction to such an odious, horribly rude man.

Very horribly horribly rude, she repeated to herself, hoping to drive the point home.

Harry approached her wordlessly and stood next to her by the railing, apparently intent on observing the crowd with her. Still surprised by his appearance, Hermione turned and did the same. She followed his gaze around the room (all the while silently formulating a plan of escape).

"This is a nice view," Harry offered without much expression.

Hermione didn't want to encourage any conversation so she just shrugged.

Nope, no conversation…no eye contact…none at all…especially no eye contact, she thought. I'll just stand here until he leaves or the balcony collapses…either one will do.

She grumbled, frustrated with her self-imposed stupidity. Fine, she told herself evenly, I won't be rude. I'll just treat him like any other person. And then he'll go away and I'll never have to speak to him again. Or look at those amazing eyes, because, really. Wow.

Aloud she replied: "I come up here sometimes. It's nice to get away from the crowd."

Harry nodded in agreement. "I'm not fond of parties either."


Hermione bristled. "I didn't say I'm not fond of parties." She bit back her rising annoyance with him and took a breath.She adopted acalmer tone and cleared her throat: "I just like taking an occasional moment to be by myself." She gave a tight smile for the sake of civility.

"Oh, I understand. The company is usually better,"Harry quipped, giving a self-satisfied smirk.

Urgghh. Insufferable man, Hermione thought as she rolled her eyes. It's amazing that there's room enough for me on this balcony, what with him and his horse-sized conceit.

"This is a nice house," Harry said nonchalantly, jarring her out of her internal ramblings.

"Thank you," she automatically replied, "It's my aunt's."

"Do you live nearby?"

"No….um. I mean yes. I mean, I live here. We live here. My sisters and I," Hermione stammered, knowing what the next question would be.

"What about your parents?" Harry asked.

"They died four years ago," Hermione answered softly.

A long pause followed.

"Oh…I didn't know," Harry finally muttered, "M' sorry."

Hermione waited for the usual stream of questions and condolences, but he didn't offer any. She waited for him to say something…anything, but he didn't seem inclined to resume the conversation either. Instead they stood in silence for several minutes and watched the party continue down below. This afforded Hermione an opportunity to wonder why he was standing with her at all, why he'd come up to the balcony in the first place, and why, if he was so tired of the conversation, would he bother to stay. She was certain that he wouldn't have any qualm about showing his impatience with her.

She sighed. He'd probably just come right out and say it: "Sorry Ms. Granger, but I'm quite bored now. You're plain and quiet and nothing compared to you lovely sister. And now I'll take my leave of you. Good luck with your dead parents and all…I'll tell my ethereal eyes you said 'hi.' "

After what seemed like an eternity, Hermione quietly excused herself. She was halfway to the staircase when she heard Harry call after her.

"Hermione…"

She turned, her eyes wide with surprise.

Harry suddenly looked uncomfortable and nervous. He shifted his feet and cleared the lump that had inexplicably risen in his throat.


"wouldyouliketodance"

Hermione shook her head. "What?"

Harry gathered his courage and stepped forward, his green eyes boring into her stunned brown ones.


"Would you like to dance?" he asked softly.

She was almost certain he'd held his hand out to her, but she couldn't be sure because she couldn't tear her eyes away from his.

She tried to think of an excuse. She wracked her brain for one. "I'll tell him I don't dance, or don't like music, or only dance with people who aren't him…"

They lapsed into silence again, and Harry took a moment to study her. He took in the mass of lustrous, brown corkscrew curls that cascaded down her shoulders, her perfect cheekbones, her pouty lips, and her porcelain skin. He found that he was indeed right: her large eyes were the color of rich chocolate and were just as lovely as he remembered them.

Gorgeous… Harry muttered as he admired her. It had bothered him immensely when Ron pointed out the rather obvious fact, but it didn't take more than a few harsh words about her to make Ron realize that he was already dancing with the pick of the night. With Ron fully occupied, Harry was left to his own ends, or more specifically, to find out more about the other Granger girl (incidentally one of the few women who hadn't acted like he was the bloody Prince of Wales as soon as she found out his surname).

Harry's thoughts were interrupted by Hermione's stuttering answer.

"I'm sorry. No…I...um…some other time." Hermione gave a half curtsey and walked steadily to the stairs, not bothering to look back at his stricken face.

At the bottom of the stairwell, she was swept away by Tonks, who absolutely-in-every-way had to meet the handsome blond curate in the corner. Soon, Hermione found herself much too occupied with Tonks and Luna to notice that Harry had abandoned the party well before Ron and Ginny.

When Hermione realized he'd gone, she breathed a sigh of relief and began truly enjoying the company of her friends.