Unofficial Portkey Archive

Pride and Prejudice by magpie_igraine
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Pride and Prejudice

magpie_igraine

Author notes: For those of you who've read P&P, I'm envisioning Lupin as a more-charming Mr. Collins-type. Oh, and in this A/U story, Hermione doesn't mind so much about having house-elves.
DISCLAIMER: I don't own Harry Potter and never will. And with the way the series ended, I wouldn't want to.

Chapter 3 Summary: Tonks encounters Lupin for the first time, and Hermione encounters Harry for the not-so-first time.

----------------

The next day, Hermione slept in well past nine o'clock and decided to have her coffee in the morning room. She dressed quickly and trotted through the chaotic mess that used to be her aunt's lavish townhouse. But no matter how disheveled the party rooms were, Hermione knew that the morning room would be in perfect order. Hildegard, the head house-elf, was very particular about it.

Sure enough, Hermione walked through the swinging doors and smiled at the familiar scene: fresh white linens and curtains lined the room, the sun was pouring in through the bay windows, and Luna and Aunt Aurora were at the table quietly finishing up their breakfast. Hermione silently joined the two, nodding a good morning to them before pouring herself some coffee. Aunt Aurora opened a letter, Luna stirred her tea, and Hermione had just brought her coffee cup to her lips when the door slammed open and Lavender burst in with her usual energy.

"Morning everyone!" Lavender said cheerfully as she leapt into the chair beside Hermione, who was now mopping up the spilled coffee from her jostled cup.

"It was such a fun night!" Lav cried as a tray of scrambled eggs floated toward her. "I danced with every red cloak who came. I know I made poor Seamus so terribly jealous. Parv said he was grumbling about how he wished I'd paid more attention to him. Imagine!" Lav let out a high-pitch giggle and went on without waiting for anyone's reply. "Did you like my dress? I got at least twenty compliments on it. Tonight I'm going to change its color and wear it to the Christmas Ball at Pomona Lodge. Mrs. Trelawney is selling the new dyeing spells in her shop. What color do you think I should get? Oh, I can't wait!"

Lavender took a breath and began hungrily eyeing Hermione's toast.

"Lav," Hermione said as she shielded her toast from Lavender's creeping fingers, "be careful with those spells Trelawney sells. Remember the last one you bought? The one that was supposed to tie your ribbons for you?"

Lavender laughed, delighted by the memory. "The ribbons split into a thousand pieces and began tying themselves to anything nearby ….doorknobs, bedposts, Crookshanks. It took hours to clean it all up. It was sooo so so funny."

"Yes Lav," Luna said in her soft but serious voice, "Hermione and I know it took hours to clean up because we had to do all the untying."

"Well," Lav said insistently, "I said I was sorry about all that. How was I supposed to know that the silly old spell didn't work? Lots of the new ones do though. Like that flu-preventing potion that Hermione made." Lavender frowned. "Hermione makes new spells and stuff all the time and nobody yells at her when she botches them up."

"That's because I don't 'botch' spells up. And I don't go around shoving potions at people like their pumpkin pie," Hermione answered simply. She'd been through this a thousand times before with Lavender. For years, Hermione had had an insatiable interest in healing and spent most of her free time researching new potions and treatments. Lavender sometimes teased her for always having her nose stuck in a heavy textbook, but Hermione's talent for medicine was something even Aunt Aurora appreciated (especially when Hermione prescribed potions to members of the upper crust who in turn invited the family for dinners and socials and such).

"Girls, girls!" Aunt Aurora cut in before Lavender could begin whining again, "We're going to have a guest over for dinner!" Aunt Aurora handed the letter she was reading to Luna and began excitedly twittering.

Luna showed the letter to Hermione, who quickly scanned the long, elegant handwriting. Apparently, an old friend of their father's, Remus Lupin, was coming to visit friends in the neighborhood and would like to spend a night or two with the Grangers.

Aunt Aurora beamed. "He's arriving at six o'clock sharp. Oh, it's such an honor. He's head advisor to none other than Sir Sirius Black!" Aunt Aurora squealed happily.

Now Hermione understood why her Aunt was so eager for the visit. Sir Sirius Black was one of the most respected, wealthy, and well-connected men in England. The Black Trading Company was the largest importer/exporters of magical ingredients in the country and having a connection so close to such an important man was sure to send Aurora into a frenzy.

Sure enough, Aunt Aurora immediately left the room and began barking panicked orders to Hildegard.

Luna shook her head fondly at Hermione and continued stirring her tea. Unfazed but slightly confused, Lavender dug into her eggs, while Hermione resumed drinking her coffee. For a moment, the sisters were alone together, peacefully enjoying the sunny morning and relaxing in the quiet of the everyday.


But Hermione couldn't shake the feeling that all that was about to change.

------------------------------------------------------

For the rest of the day, Aunt Aurora's large form hurried round the house, hoping to make the place as spotless as inhumanly possibly. Lavender (sensing housework) disappeared immediately after breakfast, so Luna and Hermione had to suffer their aunt's near nervous collapse alone.

Since Hildegard and the other house-elves were busy picking up the mess left by the partygoers, Hermione and Luna volunteered to prepare one of the guest rooms for Lupin. Luna (with her usual odd insightfulness) divined that Lupin had a "green aura," so they prepared a room to match. Hermione spelled the walls soft sage color and spent much the morning casting scrubbing charms along the dusty floors. Luna cleaned and aired the cranberry-colored curtains and bed linens and left them smelling of mint and clover. Poor Aunt Aurora spent most of her time running up and down the stairs, knocking over end tables and bothering the cooks about what she wanted served for dinner. For hours she struggled over what garnish to serve with the duck: blueberry or plum. (She finally chose plum).

"Oh the house isn't ready. It isn't ready at all," Aunt Aurora cried when six o'clock drew near. "Look at these floors. I wanted them polished and stained a shade darker to match the new color on the walls. And I wanted to change the sofa's shape, or maybe move one of the fireplaces…" Aunt Aurora tearfully ticked off the things on her to-do-but-too-late-now list.

Hermione herself had barely enough time to change into a light pink dress. She adjusted the large white bow on Luna's own butter yellow gown as Aunt Aurora paced around the foyer, fretting over the state of the house.

"Aunt Aurora, the house looks fine," Hermione reassured her aunt with an affectionate pat on the shoulder. Hermione nudged Luna.


"Oh, yes," Luna agreed, following Hermione's lead, "the house looks wonderful. You've done such a good job Aunt."

Aunt Aurora took each girl's hands and looked grateful for the compliments. "Now girls, I expect the both of you to be very welcoming to Mr. Lupin. You look so lovely tonight." Her voice lowered. "Remember, he's a well-connected, single man, and I'd like you both to make the best impression you can."

Hermione and Luna knew what their aunt really meant: Behave so he'll marry you.

Suddenly, a tangle of blue ruffles came scrambling round the corner, nearly colliding with Luna. "Am I late, is he here?" Lavender asked, flustered.

"No, he's not here yet dearest," Aunt Aurora cooed as Lav straightened her baby blue ribbons and flashed her best smile. "You look wonderful. Now, as I was just telling your sisters, you have to be on your best behavior tonight. No silliness."

Lav looked sweetly at her aunt and nodded.

"I'll send for the chloroform and wheelbarrow," Hermione whispered to Luna, as they both shared a conspiratorial grin.


There was a knock the door and everyone turned in a stunned silence.

Aunt Aurora waved her hands as if to say "look marriageable" and waited for Hildegard to open the door. A tall, thin man entered and greeted the house-elf politely. As he set his case down and took off his hat and cloak, all four women strained to see him. He looked up, and Hermione sensed Lavender's excitement deflate slightly.

No surprise there, Hermione thought, she'll dismiss any man who isn't in a regimental uniform.

Hermione saw that Remus Lupin was an older gentleman with an unusually pale complexion. He had a long nose and nondescript sandy-brown hair, but Hermione noticed he also had brown intelligent eyes and a warm smile.


He stepped forward and bowed to Aunt Aurora.

"Ms. Granger," he greeted her politely as Aunt Aurora curtsied.

"Oh Mr. Lupin," Aunt Aurora said brightly, "I'm so glad you've decided to visit us. Here come and meet my nieces." She pointed to each eagerly. "This is Luna, the eldest, and next is Hermione, and last is our little Lavender," she said proudly.

As Remus bowed to each, Aunt Aurora gestured wildly behind him, smile girls, smile, smile!"

Each of the girls managed a curtsy before Aunt Aurora insisted they all sit down for supper, as she was convinced that Remus must by famished from his travels.

------------------------------------------------------------

Aunt Aurora jostled everyone into the richly furnished dining room. The dark oak table was long and narrow and could seat as many as twenty people. Red velvet drapes framed several large windows and shelves upon shelves of bronze platters lined the room. The dining room was Aunt Aurora's pride and joy, and she loved entertaining in it. Tonight the table was set with the best silver and her finest white linens. The centerpiece was a large holly wreath that contained several fat red candles.


Aunt Aurora sat at the head of the table. Hermione took a seat next to Lupin, while Luna and Lavender seated themselves across from them. On Hildegard's command, five bowls of hearty beef soup floated onto the table. The elderberry wine poured itself into glasses while the dark rye bread divided itself onto their plates. Lavender quickly tucked into her soup while Aunt Aurora attempted to make conversation.

"Mr. Lupin," Aunt Aurora began, "we were so happy when we received your letter. You're soooo kind to pay us a visit."

"It's my pleasure Ms. Granger, but please call me Remus," he replied merrily, addressing the whole group. He studied his wine before tasting it carefully and humming his approval. "The wine's excellent Ms. Granger."

Aunt Aurora smiled so brightly it looked painful. Hermione spoke up to save her aunt the trouble of talking through her gleaming teeth: "Aunt Aurora always orders the best wines. She's something of a connoisseur."

"I notice you're not drinking any wine Hermione," Remus pointed out with a smile.

Hermione glanced at her wine glass, which was filled with water. "I don't drink wine…" she started to explain, but she was cut off by a knock at the front door.

Everyone turned and listened as the heavy door opened and a voice that sounded suspiciously like Tonks' resounded through the empty foyer.

"Tonks?" Hermione asked incredulously as a blur of silver-blonde hair skipped into the dining room and collapsed into a chair next to her.

"Hello all," Tonks said merrily as she adjusted her spotless white gown and happily scooted up to the table (apparently prepared for a meal).

"What are you doing here?" Hermione asked, thoroughlyconfused.

"Yes, what are you doing here?" Aunt Aurora hissed.

"Dinner," Tonks answered simply, as if the reason was perfectly obvious. She then gave Hermione a just-trust-me look and smiled obligingly at everyone. "Hermione invited me for dinner."


Aunt Aurora remained silent (not wanting Remus to think that any of her nieces, especially Hermione, were forgetful). She forced a smile and then rose to see if they had another helping of soup for Tonks, muttering something about "of all the girls to invite to dinner" before disappearing into the kitchen. She came out a moment later with a bowl of soup floating behind her.


Still confused as to why Tonks was there, Hermione introduced Remus to her: "Remus Lupin, this is my cousin Nymphadora Tonks."

In return for his own polite smile, Tonks gave a mischievous grin. "Oh, Mr. Lupin? Hermione's told me so much about you."


I have? an embarrassed Hermione mouthed to Tonks.

Tonks ignored Hermione and continue, "I'm sorry I'm late. What have I missed?"

Remus kindly regarded the newcomer and took efforts to fill her in on the conversation: "I was just learning why Hermione here doesn't drink wine."

Tonks chuckled. "Probably because she's too busy ruining it."

Remus looked puzzled, and Aunt Aurora buried her head in her hands. She knew that the explanation would invariably reveal Hermione's interest in science (a very non-marriageable quality).

"What Nymphadora [Tonks cringed at the use of her first name] is trying to say is that I don't drink wine, but I do appreciate it for its medicinal value." Hermione shrugged and sipped her water.

Remus was amused. "Medicinal value?"

"Oh yes. Red wine is a key ingredient in several household healing potions: Peppermint Parasolia, Snapdragon Draught, Strengthening Solution…the list is endless." Hermione told herself to stop there, but she couldn't quell her excitement. It wasn't often that she could discuss her knowledge of healing with an appreciative audience. "In fact, I've found that the properties of the wine base, the vitis vinifera, can actually affect the strength of the potion it's used in. I've yet to discover to what degree, but I'm sure that the growing conditions of the grape can noticeably alter a spell's potency."

Remus looked impressed, while Aunt Aurora silently signaled for Hermione to "be quiet, think marriage."

Paying her aunt no mind, Hermione continued: "I've been trying to separate the vitis vinifera from the wine, just to test my theories. That's why Nymphadora tells everyone I ruin wine. I'm afraid that after I get done with it, it's quite unpalatable."

Remus seemed to mull over this for a moment, allowing Luna to speak up.

"Hermione is one of the best healers in the county. She's so clever with potions and such. Everyone owls her for advice." Luna looked proudly at her sister. "She's even developed a potion to keep Phylollexa away."

"Phylollexa?" Remus repeated as Aunt Aurora groaned and rubbed her forehead.

Luna began explaining just how deadly Phylollexa creatures could be; however, she didn't know that Hermione's miraculous repellant was merely grape jelly and ginger ale. (Hermione often humored her sister's fascination with fanciful creatures)

"Remus…" Aunt Aurora interrupted, desperate to change the subject of the conversation. So far, Hermione had revealed (at length) her scientific pursuits, Luna had revealed her interest in nonexistent creatures, and Lavender had done nothing but slurp her soup. In fact, the only presentable girl at the table was Tonks.

"…you mentioned in your letter that you were staying with friends?" Aunt Aurora asked with forced cheer.

"Oh yes, I'm staying at The Burrow with the Weasleys."

"The Weasleys?" Aunt Aurora squealed excitedly. Luna blushed a bit and even Lav looked up from her soup. "But we've just met them yesterday. They attended our Christmas party," she declared proudly. Aunt Aurora then went into great detail about the goings-on of the party and what an honor it was for the Weaselys to attend.

After a dessert of caramel rice pudding, everyone adjourned to the music room to listen to Luna play the harp. Coffee was served and everyone gathered round as Luna began. Hermione took a seat next to Tonks so that the two might whisper without being overheard.


"Tonks what are you doing here?" Hermione demanded in a hushed tone.

"You invited me," Tonks replied innocently, sipping her coffee.

"I did not invite you."

"Ha. Too late now," Tonks said playfully. She leaned over to study the houseguest.

"You never mentioned how yummy he is," Tonks muttered, cocking an eyebrow.

Hermione followed her headygaze to Lupin. "No Tonks," Hermione warned, shaking her head sternly.

"Why not?" Tonks pouted. "He's tall and smart and probably well endowed...withmoney I mean."

"You did not mean'with money' and you know it. Besideshe's… nice. He's polite and not at all your type."

"Oh, and whose type is he? Yours? Oh, wait, no. He's not your type at all. Hedoesn't have green eyes and messy hair," Tonks teased.


Hermione bristled and assumed an indignant tone, "That. Is. Not. Funny. Nymphadora."

"That. Is. Funny. Mione...Look, I can tell you're upset because you think I'm horning in on the fresh meat, but honestly, I've been hearing rumors all day, and I just came to see if they were true."


"What kind of rumors?" Hermione asked, half-interested.

"Rumorsabout how he's looking for a suitable wife and your family gets first dibs."

"Well there's a surprise," Hermione said impatiently, rolling her eyes. "Every time someone visits the neighborhood, the whole town thinks it's because he's secretly engaged to one of the Granger girls."


"Yeah, but, word about town is that this specific someone (she motioned to Lupin) was indebted to your father and feels the need to repay the debt." Shepaused dramatically. "Repay the debtwith loooove...." Tonks added in a sing-song voice.

"That's ridiculous. That's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard."

"Well wait til you hear the rumor that I'm going to start," Tonks said confidently.

"Hmmm," Hermione pretended to give it a great deal of thought, "Let me guess… Remus has an ardent, uncontrollable passion for none other than Nymphadora Tonks?"

"That's not a rumor Hermione, that's the near future," Tonks winked at her.

Hermione shook her head, laughing at her incorrigible cousin.

They were interrupted by Luna, who was done playing. She informed them that everyone was invited to play a game of cards. Arms linked, Hermione and Tonks followed Luna and joined the rest of the family in the still overwhelmingly gold drawing room.

----------------------------------------------------

The rest of Lupin's visit was fairly uneventful. The next morning he set off for The Burrow, leaving behind a slightly disappointed Aunt Aurora, who was hoping that one of the girls would've tempted him to stay on.

The next few days crept by quietly. Rain replaced the snowfall and the girls kept indoors. Luna practiced her harp, Lavender played with her ribbons, and Hermione buried herself in her studies. Around them, the townsfolk were busy making merry and settling their plans for the holiday.

The only ball left before New Years was the one hosted at Pomona Lodge, and ever since the Weasleys arrived, it seemed to be causing something of a stir. As the ball neared, Lavender suddenly became frantic. She'd given up on dyeing her gown and realized that she had only had two days left to buy another one. She dragged an unenthusiastic Hermione to the downtown shops, hoping they would find a dress that would drive Seamus crazy.

"Lavender, wait a second!" Hermione cried as she trotted down West Street after her exuberant sister. Lavender was a good ten meters in front of her, ducking pass people and deftly working her way down the sidewalk. The streets were crowded with shoppers and Hermione struggled to get past them. On top of that, the early morning rain had made the cobblestones slippery, and Hermione had to be careful not to slip.

"Hurry Hermione!" Lav called out behind her. "There won't be many dresses left if we don't get there soon. Everyone's buying new things for the holidays." Lavender jogged ahead and disappeared into one of the shops.


Hermione craned her neck to see which store Lav had gone into, but couldn't see through the noisy throng. Suddenly somebody bumped her elbow and sent her reeling to the ground.

Hermione braced herself for hitting the hard cobblestone, when she felt somebody catch her about the waist from behind, wrapping their arms around her to keep her from falling.

"Oh, thank you…" she stammered as the stranger helped her to her feet. Her hair had fallen over her eyes, so she couldn't see who'd rescued her. The hands about her waist had her tightly secured, and she could tell she was being supported by a very strong and very masculine body. She turned to him, trying to shake the stray strands of hair from her face.

"It's my pleasure Hermione," Harry Potter said, softly brushing back a few curls as he held her firmly. Her cheek brushed against his chin and he noticed her perfume, a mixture of vanilla and apricots.

Hermione froze when she recognized the voice. She hadn't expected to see him again so soon…or ever really. She brushed aside her unruly hair and found herself gazing into his luminous eyes.

"Are you all right?" Harry asked, concerned etched on his features. He began looking her over for injuries, and his eyes fell on her exposed shoulder where the sleeve of her gray dress had slid down a bit. His heart quickened as he reached up to adjust it.

Hermione's breath caught as his fingers touched her bare shoulder. Her skin tingled where his fingertips grazed her, and she couldn't help but notice that his strong arm was still wrapped around her waist (though she wasn't in danger of falling again). She knew she should step aside and thank him properly, but something unexplainable kept her in his encircling embrace.

"Thank you," she whispered. She tried to speak louder, but her voice didn't cooperate.

Luckily Harry was close enough to hear her. Mere inches separated them.

"You're welcome," he replied quietly, gazing at her with his dark, unnerving stare.

He couldn't tear his eyes away from her lovely, perfect mouth, which was still half open from surprise. Thoughts about kissing her flitted through his mind and, knowing the impossibility of it, he quickly shook them off… however, he still couldn't stop himself from staring at her full, inviting lips.

"I almost fell Mr. Potter…" she began, silently groaning of the stupidity of the statement. Well done Hermione, she muttered to herself. Brilliant repartee

"I know," Harry replied with a half-smile. "I caught you. And please call me Harry."

Hermione grinned back at him, surprised to find that she really really liked his smile. It was almost as beautiful as his eyes.

Hermione was about to reply when somebody suddenly bumped into Harry, knocking him forward. Before Harry or Hermione could react, the gap had closed between them, and Hermione found her lips pressed firmly against Harry's.

For a second, neither one could move. Both of their eyes went wide as they were completely overcome with embarrassment. They both pushed each other away at the same time, looking everywhere but at each other.

"Well," Hermione said, shaking with mortification, "I…um…thank you again."

Harry glanced at her. "Oh…yes…goodbye." Harry quickly bowed to her, and in a flash his green cloak and messy black hair had disappeared into the crowd.

Hermione reached up to touch her lips and felt her cheeks grow warm with embarrassment. First Harry Potter had saved her from a nasty fall, and then...then she'd kissed him! Or did he kiss her? Was it even a kiss at all since it was an accident? How was she going to act around him now?

I'm not going to worry about how to act around him because I'll never see him again…which is a good thing…a very very good thing, she told herself. She repeated this a few times just to convince herself.

In a daze, Hermione climbed up onto the sidewalk and absently walked into the first door she came to. She could tell it was dress shop, and it wasn't long until she saw Lavender talking eagerly to a tall man in a regimental red cloak. Hermione didn't pay them any mind. Her thoughts were with a flash of green cloak and messy hair that was no doubt rushing back to The Burrow. She shook herself out of her revelry when she heard her name.

"Hermione, oh there you are! I was wondering what was keeping you." Lav hugged her sister eagerly and took her hand. "Come on, I want you to meet the most handsome wizard in the city."

She didn't know why, but an image of Harry came to mind.

Lav stopped in front of a tall soldier with brown hair and brown eyes. "Hermione Granger, this is Viktor Krum. He's here on assignment from Bulgaria." Lavender pronounced the word "Bulgaria" as if it were the most wonderful and exotic place on earth.

Viktor Krum gave a formal bow. He greeted her with a thick accent, and Hermione knew Lavender would find it adorable.

"Her-mi-o-niiny," Viktor repeated with a grin.

Hermione cringed at the mispronunciation of her name but returned his bow with a curtsey.

"Very nice to meet you," Hermione said absently, her thoughts still occupied with what happened with Harry.

"Und it is very nice to meet you," he replied.

Lavender giggled and took Viktor's arm.

"Viktor, you have to help me pick out my ribbons for the Christmas Ball at Pomona Lodge. Are you going to come? Captain Finnigan can get you an invitation if you'd like. Oh, you just have to attend. There really aren't enough men there to dance with." Lavender gave a bright smile. "And I do so love dancing. Oh please come, oh please."

Hermione winced at her sister's pleading, but knew that most men found it terribly endearing. Viktor certainly didn't seem immune to it, as he soon gave his assurances that he would come.

Lavender suddenly turned to Hermione: "And what kept you so long? I saw three dresses I liked and now I can't remember where they are." Lav smiled at Viktor. "Hermione's absolutely rubbish at shopping."

"I bumped into someone…um…Harry Potter," Hermione answered, not meeting either Viktor's or Lavender's stare.

"Harry Potter?" Viktor's eyes narrowed.

Hermione nodded as Lavender rattled on about how Harry had attended their Christmas party last week. Hermione took the opportunity and left them.

Intent on distracting herself, she began looking around the shop, wondering if she might also get a new gown. It had been a while since she'd splurged on herself, and she had plenty of pocket money for a new dress.

Hermione was admiring a rose-colored gown when Viktor sidled up to her.

"Her-mii-o-niiny," he said with his trademark grin. "How vell do you know Harry Potter?"

Startled, Hermione turned around and answered automatically. "I don't know him well at all." We just kiss in the street is all…but no, I don't know him well… she silently added.

Viktor nodded. "Me, vell, I unfortunately know Potter a great deal too much. He does not do much with the manners."

Hermione laughed, thinking back to her first encounter with Harry. "I guess you do know him well. No, he's not very polite."

"No hiz not," Viktor leaned in. "Hermioniiny, let me warn you. He iz not one to trust."

Hermione didn't understand. She shook her head. "I'm sorry?"

Viktor went on: "I did grow up wiz him and his father. His father left me a great deal of money, but, vell…"

"Well what?" Hermione asked. She suddenly felt very uncomfortable.

"He would not grant hiz father's wishes. I never saw any of ze money." Sadness clouded Viktor's face. "It iz why I joined the regulars."

"Oh…" Hermione didn't know what to say. Strangers never confided to her. It was a serious breach of propriety; however Hermione assumed that Viktor's faux pas had something to do with his being foreign. They stood in awkward silence until Lavender came galloping up, holding a long silver gown

As Lavender began excitedly discussing her find, Hermione considered what Viktor told her: Yes, Harry Potter is a rude, insufferable man who insults me one day and rescues me in the street the next, but cheat a man out of his inheritance? Hermione had never heard anything so low.

Hermione rejoined the conversation in time to hear Lavender tell Viktor how wonderful she was going to look in her new gown. Lav then wanted to buy some shoes to go with it, but Viktor begged off.

"I am sorry, but I have the engagement to make. But perhaps you vill both save me a dance at the ball?" Both sisters nodded (Lavender's nod was much more enthusiastic than Hermione's). He then bowed to Lav and sent a lingering gaze to Hermione before striding out the door.

After his departure, Lavender pouted for a few minutes, obviously missing the male company; but soon enough she began looking over the reams of ribbons, finding at least three kinds of silver ones that would work.

Hermione leaned toward her sister: "Lav, have you heard anything about Viktor? About him and Harry Potter?"

Lav turned to her, surprised. "Oh, yes, Seamus told me all about it at our party. About how Harry Potter refused to give Viktor his inheritance and how Viktor had wanted to study law, but, well… it takes money, so he enlisted." Lavender gazed after him and sighed, obviously touched by the story.


"But why would Harry Potter do such a thing?" Hermione demanded. It couldn't be true. Yes, she thought ill of Harry, but still, he was a gentleman in good standing; she had to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Lav lowered her voice. "Seamus said it was because Viktor's a Muggle-born."

Hermione gasped as her sister nodded. Lav shot her a meaningful look as she turned back to the silver ribbons.

Hermione had heard of the cruel discrimination practiced against Muggle-borns, but she'd never seen a case first hand.

Could it be true? she asked herself. Could Harry Potter do something so despicable to his childhood friend because he was Muggle-born?

Lavender interrupted her thoughts by suddenly grabbing Hermione's arm and forcing her to come to the ribbon cutting counter.

Hermione ended up buying a rose colored gown and a set of ribbons to match. She then took Lavender to a tea shop where Lav ate too many pastries and went on and on about her purchases and what she thought everyone else would wear to the ball and how her dress would outdo them all. Around them, bells rang in the streets, carolers sang on the sidewalks, and hazelnuts roasted in every hearth. But for some reason, Hermione couldn't share in the town's good spirits.