Unofficial Portkey Archive

Safe Harbour by i found nemo
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Safe Harbour

i found nemo

Disclaimer: JKR owns.

Safe Harbour

Chapter 8: Last Hope

---

[AN] Something happens in this chapter that I think we've been waiting for since LFL. Hope you enjoy :]

---

Harry was just rounding the corner, about to reach for door handle to Hermione's hospital room, when he bumped into someone coming out.

Harry narrowed his eyes in annoyance, but smoothed the look over when he recognized Dr. Hammond standing before him.

The woman gave him a friendly smile, "Oh, I thought I was going to miss you."

"Is everything okay?" Harry asked gruffly, not returning the smile.

"Well… she's lucky. You both are. Like I told Hermione; it's a team effort to keep your baby healthy. These final weeks are key for the baby to get all the nutrients it needs from its mum to keep growing after birth. So please, be careful."

Harry nodded, "We will be."

Dr. Hammond gave him a sympathetic smile, and patted his shoulder motherly, "I'll be seeing the three of you soon then."

Harry nodded again. He didn't bother giving her a final goodbye; just hurried into Hermione's room.

Hermione shot him a glare as soon as he came in, "We're fine. Thanks for asking."

"So you can go home?" Harry asked, ignoring her attitude.

"Yes, I've already finished the paperwork with the nurse."

"Let's go then."

Harry held out his hand for Hermione to use while getting out of bed. She stubbornly ignored him, and tried to struggle off the thin mattress herself. Harry rolled his eyes and stopped her, grabbing her arm and forcing her to loop it through his. She shot a glare at him, but he was too preoccupied with tugging them towards the door to notice.

As they walked out into the hospital corridor, they noticed the medic from earlier getting off the elevator. Luckily, Harry didn't have to go out of his way to talk to him, because the man was walking right at them.

"Hey," Harry called out to him. The bloke looked up lifelessly at first, but then his face sparked into expression after he realized who had addressed him. "So is that guy going to be okay?" Harry asked.

A disturbed, sombre look came over the EMT's face, "Ehh… it's not looking too good for him. They'll have to transfer him to another hospital. We don't have enough of his blood type in storage here, and one of his lungs is going to have to be transplanted. If all that works out for him, there will still only be a slight chance that he'll have any brain activity."

Hermione grimaced. She wanted to comment, perhaps say how awful his circumstances were, or something like that. But truth be told, if that man was a spy, then he deserved whatever he got.

"Well hopefully he'll pull through," Harry muttered distractedly.

"Yeah, hopefully. Take care you two. Congratulations," he added, nodding off at Hermione's stomach.

Both Harry and Hermione nodded blankly, clearly disconcerted with his final comment.

They quickly made their way through the rest of the small hospital. Outside, they were able to hail a taxi in no time, and when they did, Harry hurriedly settled Hermione inside. He couldn't be sure if anyone was watching, or if anything else was going to happen that day…

About five minutes into the cab ride, Hermione jolted in her seat. Harry gave her a questioning look as she glanced down to her swollen belly, a distressed look adorning her features.

"Mione?"

Hermione didn't answer, too busy concentrating on the movements within her abdomen. She placed her hand on the left side of her stomach as a tear rolled down her cheek. The baby kicked again, and this time Hermione had to close both of her eyes as tears poured out of them.

Harry watched her the entire time, not knowing how she would best be comforted.

He glanced down to her hand, still clutched over a single spot on her stomach. Slowly, he reached out and placed his hand over hers. Obviously, the meagre attempt did nothing to console her. But honestly, Harry wasn't sure if anything could right now.

About another five minutes passed before the cab driver pulled up in front of Harry and Hermione's building. Harry threw some cash at the driver before hurrying out of his side and rushing over to Hermione's door.

"Here," he offered, unbuckling her seat belt and holding out his hand for her.

Hermione felt like glaring at him. Oh, so now he decides he wants to be the attentive gentleman and help her out?

"I can handle myself," she muttered instead, levelling herself out of the cab.

Harry sighed but didn't move away, "Well, obviously you can't."

"What?" Hermione asked, turning on him with a wounded look.

Harry shook his head, and again tried to grab her hand, "Nothing. Let's get inside."

Hermione jerked her hand away, "No. What the hell does that mean? You think I can't take care of me and my baby?"

"Come on Hermione, you weren't even eating…"

Hermione stared at him in betrayal, "My mind was in other places! I didn't see you eating!"

"I'm not the one carrying our child!" Harry snapped. At least he was back to using 'our' child…, "You put our baby's life in danger!" he raged on, pointing a finger at her.

Hermione scoffed coldly, not recognizing her words as they spilled from her mouth, "Oh please, you're the reason our baby's life's in danger- not me."

Harry blinked, "What?" Had she really just said what he think she said?

"Do you think this is just a coincidence Harry?! This wouldn't be happening if it weren't your child!" Hermione shouted at him, the cold look in her eyes almost rendering her undistinguishable.

Harry stared at her blankly, the hurt in his eyes starting to spread over his face.

Without saying anything, he turned and walked up the stairs, leaving Hermione behind in the cold.

Harry walked impassively up the stairs to their flat, and through their door, not even caring to watch out if anyone was there or watching him. He left the door open as he walked in and headed straight for their bedroom.

Hermione was standing in shock at the entrance of their building. She didn't know what she was more concerned over- the fact that she had actually had the ability to say those awful words to Harry, or the fact that Harry had turned his back on her and his child, and just walked away.

'Well of course he walked away, he probably wants nothing to do with you. He probably already regrets ever getting you pregnant…' she told herself bitterly.

There was a loud crack that sounded like an engine backfiring somewhere on the street. Hermione glanced about her surroundings, one hand on her stomach, as she started to fervently remind herself that it wasn't safe for her to be out here by herself. Taking a deep breath, Hermione started pulling herself up the stairs, using the handrail for support.

She had to take several breaks for air, but she eventually made it all the way up to their flat about ten minutes later. Hermione walked in through their open door cautiously, glancing around for Harry or any sign of somebody else. Looking down the hall, she noticed that their bedroom door was closed. Harry most likely locked himself in there, consumed with guilt…

Hermione sighed before turning and locking their front door. She knew that she'd have to talk to Harry and explain to him that she, in no way, actually meant her hurtful words. Obviously, the time wasn't now, so Hermione headed off towards the nursery. She felt like it was the only place she'd be able to calm down.

Oh, how wrong she was.

As soon as she stepped through the door, the smell of lingering fresh paint and the sight of the half assembled baby crib brought her to tears. It was a harsh reminder that she'd probably never get to put her child to sleep in their crib, or that they'd never get to play with the assortment of toys that Harry and Hermione had already collected for them.

There was a sudden bang coming from their bedroom. Hermione glanced up from the crib, knowing that it was probably Harry having a fit. She knew she couldn't go in there; it'd probably only set him off more. Honestly, all she wanted was to give Harry a healthy baby and a happy life that went along with that. Why was fate so cruel to them? Couldn't they hold on to some happiness in their life?

Hermione looked back to the crib, laying in a heap on the floor. Well, if she wanted to be a mother, then she better start acting like it.

Slowly, she moved over to the wood pile and eased herself onto the ground in a sitting position. She summoned the book of directions over to herself, and started off on putting together the crib that her baby would sleep in for the first years of its life.

---

Meanwhile, back in their bedroom, Harry was perched on the edge of the bed, holding his head in his hands. Never in his broodiest dreams would he ever think that Hermione would admit that it was all his fault.

Could he really blame her? Yes; they were supposed to be in this together, and she was focusing on the negative. But was there a positive to this situation? Maybe…

He glanced over to the hole he had punched in the wall, and knew that he had to get control of himself. If not for himself, or Hermione, then for their baby.

Was it his fault? Everything bad seemed to happen to him, and the people closest to him. He had a prophecy made of himself; seems like that quality was passed on from him. Deep down, he knew that no matter if this was directly his fault, or some bizarre coincidence, that this was his baby. Everything he did, from this point on, needed to be in the best interest of him or her. After all, it wasn't the baby's fault that this was happening to them.

The thing that Harry feared most, besides losing Hermione, or losing their baby, was that his child would have to grow up in life, always looking over their shoulder. He wanted his baby to live in a world where this evil didn't exist. Harry could never escape his own identity… but maybe he could save their child's.

'It's your job to protect them… to protect your baby's innocence… You're not going to grow up with cruelty, that I promise.'

Harry scrubbed a hand over his weak, emotion ridden face, and replaced it with a solid, hard look. He got up from his spot on the bed, and walked over towards the door. In one swift move, he had it open and was walking down the hall, in the direction of Hermione's little library. He needed to look up some wards to use once Neville sends his care package over.

---

Hermione's brain was jumping all over the place as she was fixing the crib. She suddenly halted at the thought of her parents.

'They'll be so disappointed, but hopefully they'll understand where I'm coming from. But what if they don't? They're going to call me an idiot for not using protection. And what if we had? What if I wasn't pregnant? Well… I'd probably still be in school. Possibly have a job. Maybe even be with Ron… and I'd still be just as miserable…'

Hermione took a deep breath as she finished fastening the legs onto the wooden frame, "You're the happiest you've ever been with Harry," she reminded herself confidently.

Of course she'd always known that her and Harry worked best together. She's always been happy with him- just this time, the feeling was a little different in realizing so.

She needed Harry. More than anyone else…

Her mind went back to the dream she had at the hospital. A smile spread over her lips as she thought of the little messy-haired boy. If it was a boy, then the prophecy would be false. And maybe then these idiots would back off…

A shadow passed across the open door of the nursery, and Hermione instantly recognized Harry walking down the hall. As quickly as possible, she struggled up and waddled out into the hall. Her heart jolted as she watched Harry get close to the front door.

"Harry?"

He didn't answer, and kept walking.

"Harry, please don't leave," she pleaded, not caring how desperate she sounded.

Just as she spoke, Harry crossed over and headed for the study, "I'm not leaving."

Hermione sucked in a relieved breath. Still staring after him, she figured now was as good a time as ever. She didn't want to have to spend anymore time upset at the way she treated him, "I'm sorry about what I said. I didn't mean to say-"

Harry rolled his eyes and turned to look at her, "Why not? It's the truth. If this was Ron's baby-"

"But it's yours," she cut in ardently, "and I wouldn't want anyone else to father my child."

Harry shook his head, "That's a lie-"

"No it's not," Hermione argued, taking a few troubled steps towards him, "I want your babies, not Ron's!"

Harry frowned, but not in anger. He stared at Hermione who was starting to fidget under his gaze. "What are you trying to say?" he asked in a way that surrendered his hostility.

Hermione bit her lip and shrugged, "I just, I love me an you together like this. Before this I was the happiest I've ever been and it's because of you…" Hermione trailed off, opening and closing her mouth, obviously trying to say more. She wasn't used to feeling so vulnerable around Harry.

"And?" Harry probed.

Hermione closed her eyes and took a deep breath, "And I think together, we'd make pretty good parents to our baby. So we shouldn't give up hope yet, because- because we can get through this." She wished that sounded stronger than it came out. It was the truth though- they'd overcome so much, but this was entirely different. Lives had always been at stake, but this life, the one growing inside her at this moment, was so much more cherished and valuable to her.

Harry was currently refusing to get his hopes up at her last sentence, "I never wanted to lose you 'Mione."

"You won't have too. I'll always be here for you- you know that."

"Like, I-I think I'd be able to deal with losing any other girl, but you… it'd kill me."

Harry stood there, fumbling over his words. 'Wow, it really was hard to try and tell someone that you love them…'

Hermione nodded, the tears pooling up in her eyes again, "It'd kill me too."

Not knowing what else to do, or having nothing else he wanted to do, Harry walked forward and kissed her. "I'm going to give you the happy ending you deserve," he muttered against her lips.

"And you're going to be with me in this happy ending, right?" she asked timidly, hoping that he wasn't going to back to his 'even-if-it-kills-me' strategy.

There was a brief pause before Harry nodded, "Of course."

Hermione closed her eyes again and took a deep, shaky breath. When she opened them again, she stared unwavering at Harry.

"I love you."

Harry's cheeks tugged back into a fitted smile. For a second, he marvelled over the fact that of course she'd be the one to say it first, but then all he could do was let his heart respond, "I love you too."

A flash of need passed over Hermione's face as he replied the fated four words.

Knowing that nothing else had to be said, they came together in a hungry kiss. It wasn't long before Harry was pushing her back towards the bedroom…

---

Hermione was combing her hand through Harry's hair as he rested on the pillow next to her, one of his hands laying over her belly. The baby had been especially active that night, preventing both Harry and Hermione from getting any sleep.

"I had a dream, after I passed out at the hospital," Hermione suddenly spoke through the comfortable silence.

"Good or bad?" Harry asked, not looking away from her stomach.

Hermione smiled, "Good."

"What was it about?"

"You and me… and a little boy that looked just like you," Hermione told him, glancing

down to see his reaction.

Harry grinned, "Yeah?"

Hermione nodded, "Yeah, but he had brown eyes."

"How old was he?" Harry questioned, obviously trying to picture him.

"Must have been about two or three," Hermione answered, trying to concentrate back on the dream, "Right around that cute toddler stage."

"And what were we all doing?" Harry asked, thirsty for more knowledge of a time when he and Hermione were happy with their baby, even if that time wasn't exactly tangible.

Hermione lifted her shoulders airily, "Just trying to feed him breakfast. But we all looked so happy…"

Harry pulled her closer, "I wish I could have a dream like that."

"Do you realize what it means though?"

Harry shook his head and gave her a quizzical look.

Hermione perched herself up on her elbows as she stared down at Harry with a more

serious look, "It was a little boy, not a little girl. That man last night said the prophecy referred to a girl!"

Harry too sat up, "A-Are you sure he said 'she'?"

"I'm positive," Hermione said nodding her head excitedly.

Harry stared off into their dark room, a noticeable look of concentration on his face.

"Harry, what if the prophecy was false? What if the baby really is a boy?"

Harry started shaking his head, "That would change everything…"

"I-I think we should go to Dr. Hammond and find out," Hermione said, the anticipation obvious in her voice. It was apparent that she had been dwelling on this thought for a while. Harry, however, was at a loss for words, thinking of the possibility.

Hermione gave Harry a nervous look as a few seconds passed and he didn't respond to her proposal, "Harry?"

"…Yeah…" Harry whispered. He looked back to her to meet her eyes. He tried to give her an assuring smile, "We'll go in the morning, okay?"

Hermione nodded with an eager look and settled back into her pillows, her hand going back to play with Harry's hair.

"Are you hungry?" Harry asked after a few quiet seconds.

Hermione smirked, "Actually, I could go for some ice cream."

Harry chuckled, "Of course. I'll be right back."

Harry pushed himself up and kissed her on the lips, before sliding out of bed and heading for the kitchen.

---

Please review! Next chapter is the one that really changes the tone/pace of the story…

---