Unofficial Portkey Archive

Safe Harbour by i found nemo
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Safe Harbour

i found nemo

Disclaimer: JKR owns.

Safe Harbour

Chapter 9: If Hope Could Only Be So Kind

---

"What are you doing up so early?"

Harry jumped from his seat at the kitchen table, and spun around to see Hermione, still dressed in her pyjamas, giving him a curious look, "Hermione! You startled me."

Hermione nodded off to the opened package in front of him, "What's that?"

"This? Uh," Harry paused, wondering how he was going to explain this to her. He was hoping he could leave her out of this. He didn't want to give her another reason to get stressed out.

"It's just some stuff," Harry mumbled with a shrug.

"Harry…" Hermione trailed off, coming forward. She stopped short when she recognized the object laying next to the box, "Harry, is that a sneakoscope?"

Harry sighed, "Yeah."

"How did you get one of those?" she asked frantically, "Harry, they could be watching!"

Harry shook his head quietly as he got up from the table and came towards her. He grabbed her hand gently, "I had Neville send me some things," he started. Hermione instantly sucked in a hesitant breath, but Harry continued, "I've already set some wards. No one should be able to see or hear us now. I've had to take down all sorts of detection spells in every room. That's how I think they've been keeping tabs on us."

Hermione stared wide eyed at him. She couldn't believe he would go behind her back and take such a huge risk like this. The death eater- or whatever he was- had warned her; if they so much as tried to divert them, then there'd be terrible consequences. How could Harry even think to take such a daring risk?

At her silence, Harry went on, "Although, there was only a scanner and a movement recorder in our room. There wasn't any audio-detection charms…"

Hermione thought his words over for another moment before suddenly shaking her head, "W-Wait! Neville knows where we are?"

"Yes. I told him before we left," Harry answered solemnly.

Hermione sent him a strangled look, "D-Does he knew about…"

Harry shook his head, "No, I just told him I was being sent away here for training."

Hermione again was quiet for a moment. Finally, she spoke, "What if someone's been watching him, too? Harry, he could be-"

"I had to take a chance, Hermione. Neville's a good friend, I'm sure he'd understand if he knew the circumstances," Harry finished, giving her a look showing her that he wasn't any more comfortable about the situation than she was.

"How come you never told me?" Hermione questioned him in a hurt tone. Could he really not trust her with his theories any more?

Harry shrugged, "I didn't want to worry you."

Hermione scoffed, clearly expecting a better explanation, "I think it's a little late for that." Honestly, Hermione wanted to get rid of their enemies as much as Harry did, but he seemed to be taking it above and beyond the utmost extreme. They were supposed to be in this together. Hermione didn't feel comfortable being the damsel in distress. She was supposed to have a say in things as well.

Taking a breath, Harry started on a different topic, "It's almost nine. Do you want to head down to Hammond's office soon?"

Hermione instantly felt better, "Yeah."

She was excited, yet terrified at the same time to find out the sex of their baby.

Everything in their lives had been so ominous over the past two days; however, Hermione couldn't forget about the beautiful dream she'd had. Oh, what she would give to have that dream become her reality…

Hermione was about to turn and head back to her room, before a thought struck her. She turned back to Harry, "So, is it safe in here now?"

Harry paused for a moment, thinking carefully. Finally he replied, "I think now we'll be able to talk about things."

Hermione frowned at his odd tone, but figured he was just getting back into 'protective mode'. She nodded, "I'll get dressed then."

After a quick breakfast, Harry and Hermione left for Dr. Hammond's office a few blocks over. Instead of walking like they normally would, Harry called for a cab. Still though, as the couple walked down the steps of their apartment building and climbed into the cab, Harry kept one hand tightly gripping Hermione's and the other clutched onto his wand.

Even now, as they sat in a patient room at the doctor's office, Harry held his wand, stowed away in his jacket pocket.

Hermione was sitting atop the padded table, and glanced over to Harry with a small smile on her face. She couldn't help but feel optimistic, even though Harry looked as white as a ghost.

There was quick knock at the door, before it opened, "Hey guys," greeted Dr. Hammond in a concerned tone, "Is everything okay?"

"Yes," Hermione answered, "We're doing better. Harry and I just decided that we wanted to know the gender."

Dr. Hammond brightened immediately, "You do? But I thought you wanted it to be a surprise?"

Hermione shook her head, "We really can't wait any more."

"Well there's nothing wrong with that," the doctor said smiling, "Go ahead and lay down and we can get started."

Hermione hesitated, "But don't you already know? Couldn't you just tell us?"

"Oh come on! You didn't come all the way down here just for me to say it to you. It's much more exciting to see it with your own eyes!"

Hermione bit her lip, mentally kicking herself. 'Damn it, we should have just called…'

"Well, okay," Hermione relented with a sigh. She eased herself down on the bed before reaching her hand out for Harry's. Harry automatically grabbed onto her.

Only a second passed before Dr. Hammond started lathering the jelly on Hermione's stomach. She switched on some machines, and then gently pressed the disk to Hermione's abdomen. The screen on the prompter flickered to life.

"Harry, Hermione- say hello to your baby girl. Congratulations!"

A deafening silence passed through the small room. Both Harry and Hermione's hearts dropped into their stomachs. Both felt ready to throw up.

Hermione gaped at the screen showing their daughter curled up in her womb. Harry too looked on, but with cold, dead eyes.

"I-I don't understand," Hermione stuttered after a few seconds, "A girl?"

Dr. Hammond nodded, "Yep. See, if it where a boy then you'd be able to recognize his male reproductive organs by now."

Harry glanced over to Hermione's face. She looked like she was about to cry.

"Oh…"

"She'll probably be just as beautiful as her mother. I expect you're going to be keeping a watchful eye on her, right Harry?"

Harry stared up at the doctor with unblinking eyes. The grin on Dr. Hammond's face began to fall, and she slowly glanced back to Hermione for a better response. Alas Hermione's expression was identical to Harry's, so the doctor got quiet.

"Um, okay then. I'll just leave you two to… celebrate…"

As Dr. Hammond left the office, Hermione finally was able to drop her head in her hands and release her tears. Quickly though, her tears turned into full blown sobs.

Harry was frozen, staring at the new picture of their baby.

A few minutes passed before he looked back to Hermione. He wanted to comfort her, but how could he? Their worst nightmare had just became their reality.

No words had been spoken between the two as they left Dr. Hammond's office and climbed back into another taxi. At least, that was until Hermione let out a shaky breath.

"Is this our fault?"

Harry slowly turned to look at her, stung by her words, "Hermione…"

Hermione scoffed at herself, "It is isn't it? We made ourselves so vulnerable… they probably even knew we were together during the war. And then we left together. Why didn't we- we should have known someone would be after her. Someone's always trying to ruin our happiness… Her life is ruined because of us," Hermione finished in a callous whisper.

"Hermione," Harry started, unsure of what to say. He noticed the cab driver sending them suspicious looks in the rear-view mirror, "Look, let's talk about this later, okay?"

Hermione scoffed again before sniffling, tears still leaking from her eyes. Harry felt even more helpless as she turned away from him and stared out the window.

A few minutes passed as the cabbie drove them closer to home. They were just starting to pass the familiar grounds of Harvard campus, when the sounds of police and ambulance sirens reached their ears. Both peering out of the window, Harry and Hermione saw a crowd gathered around the building that Hermione knew to be the school library.

The two shared a troubled look before going to stare back out of the window. The driver stopped at a red light, and glanced back in the mirror at them.

"You haven't heard?" he asked in a raucous voice.

Harry turned to look at the man before shaking his head.

"Some poor girl was found dead outside the university library early this morning. It's been all over the news…"

Hermione gave the driver a sharp look, "D-Dead?"

The driver nodded, "Yeah. Young too, only a freshman."

Harry sent Hermione a worried look, as she sat back in her seat, looking almost catatonic, "Hermione, are you okay?"

She nodded weakly, though Hermione couldn't stop thinking about the girl she had come to call her best friend here, in Boston. Her clenched knuckles turned white as she prayed for Jess's safety.

Harry stuffed his wallet back into his pocket after paying the cab driver.

The driver counted the money, and then sent Harry and Hermione a smile, "Alright, you kids have a nice day. Enjoy what peace and quiet you have left before you're little monster comes along!"

Harry gave the man an uneasy smile, but Hermione stared at him blankly, "She won't be a monster…"

Harry grabbed her arm, "Come on." He opened the door and stepped out, offering a

hand to Hermione as well. Once they were both on the sidewalk, Harry shut the door and the cab driver drove off.

Hermione was just about to start walking up the stairs before Harry stopped her,

"Hermione-"

"I don't want to talk. I just…" she paused for a moment, refusing to meet Harry's eyes, "I just want to take a kip. So-"

Hermione was suddenly cut off and slammed into Harry's chest. She let out a pained gasp as Harry's arms encircled her and pulled her back slightly to get a clear look.

The reason for Hermione's abrupt impact became evident as he saw a young man getting up from the ground and starting to dust his knees off.

"What the fuck kid, watch where you're going!" Harry screamed, moving to put Hermione behind him.

"Sorry…" the teenager muttered before turning and running past them.

"She's pregnant you fucking asshole!" he yelled after him. He turned back to Hermione, "Are you okay, 'Mione?"

Breathing heavily, she nodded, "Yeah…"

"Come on, let's get inside," Harry said, putting an arm around her waist. Together they walked up the stairs and into their flat.

"So… are you sure you're okay?" Harry asked softly as he closed the door behind them.

Hermione gave him a blank look, and then shrugged.

"… Stupid question, I guess," Harry mumbled.

"That was our last hope," Hermione finally whispered.

Harry sighed. He knew how shitty Hermione felt, because he was currently feeling the same way. Words couldn't describe how hopeless he felt. Alas, Harry didn't want to be the one to tell Hermione that they really had no chance. While he didn't want to sugar-coat anything, he couldn't sit back and do nothing, "Look, we have options…"

"What options?" Hermione sneered, "Everything we've thought of has led straight to a dead end."

Harry shook his head, "We could try to go back to Grimmauld Place."

"And then what?" Hermione asked bitterly, "Spend the rest of our lives trapped there, wondering when they'll finally take our child?" What was the bloody point? She figured that sooner or later, they'd both have to realize that they had no more security.

Harry sighed impatiently, "Alright so if you don't want to run, then what Hermione? What would you have us do?"

Hermione kept quiet. She felt bad that she was being so terrible to Harry. After all, he was only trying to help and she had to remember that he was just as desperate as she was. Immediately, she started to regret her harsh thoughts.

"I-"

Harry stared at her with frustrated eyes. Hermione couldn't bring herself to look him in the face, so she glanced back down before continuing, "I guess it would be worth a shot."

Harry sighed again, this time in a calm manner. Reaching forward, he grabbed her hand, "We have to at least try, right?"

"Right."

Harry attempted a smile and then leaned in to kiss her cheek. It was taking his all to

subdue his emotions enough to comfort her. Truth was, he was just waiting for a moment of privacy so that he could let out the heart-wrenching scream that had been boiling inside him ever since he heard the words that solidified he was having a daughter.

"Why don't you go sit down," he suggested, "I'll make you a sandwich or something."

Hermione nodded, and with a shaking hand pressed against her stomach, she took off for the living room.

Five minutes later, Harry walked in with a turkey sandwich cut in half. He sat down next to Hermione on the sofa, and handed her the plate. She took it, but didn't reach for the food.

"Thanks," she muttered.

A few minutes of silence passed between the two, in which Hermione still didn't reach to take a bite of her sandwich. The dead silence and lack of movement was too forlorn; both Harry and Hermione felt like they were suffocating. To make the situation less dreadful, Hermione grabbed the remote sitting on the coffee table and turned on the telly.

All she wanted right now was a couple oblivious minutes of tranquillity where she could sit there with Harry and their unborn daughter in peace and normalcy. For once, she didn't want to focus on their impending doom. Was a little happy normality too much to ask for?

Yes, it was.

The telly turned on to the local news channel, where the blonde anchorwoman was looking very morose, "And now over to Shannon Cassidy with breaking details on the Harvard campus tragedy."

Both Harry and Hermione instantly perked up, as the screen displayed a view of the grounds near the school library. The camera panned in to show the new anchor, looking even more serious than her co-reporter, "It's a tragic day for Harvard University, having just lost one of their beloved and bright students, Jessica Sacramone; a freshman English major who was found dead early this morning…"

Harry still was staring in shock at the television screen when Hermione's sobs started.

"No, no, no… not Jess…" she cried, putting her head in her hands and shaking her head frantically.

Harry turned to look at her, not having the slightest clue of how to comfort her again. Quite honestly, he felt like breaking down into tears himself. Who could do this to Jess? Who could want to-

The blood drained from Harry's face as he realized that this was not an 'accidental murder', like the news was making it out to be. Someone had murdered Jess, with every intention of who it would effect the most. It was another fucking sign…

"They know," he whispered, turning to face her, "Hermione…"

Hermione looked up, still crying hard, "T-They know what?"

"They know we found out about the detection wards. They know we counteracted them."

Hermione instantly stopped shaking, and gave Harry a frozen look, "How?"

"I-I don't know…" This time, Harry was the one to put his head in his hands. It didn't really make any sense, now that he thought about it. If they knew, then why hadn't they tried to break through the wards? Why would they murder Jess for the off chance that Harry and Hermione would infer some sort of message from the killing?

But, what other reason was there to kill one of their friends?

"Hermione…"

The girl in question had started sobbing again, "It's like one step forward, two steps back. Jess is dead because of us, Harry!"

"Hermione-"

"There's no escaping them, is there?" she asked, now surprisingly sober. The thought that these people would be the end of her was even more terrifying then she could have ever imagined. Now, it all seemed too terribly real.

Harry looked at Hermione, the desperate surrender apparent in his eyes, "I'm sorry."

Hermione stared back at him for a few moments. Suddenly, she found herself shaking her head, "No… no, Harry! I won't let them have her!"

"I know," he said, although in a resigned tone, "I won't let them touch our baby. But…"

"But what?" Hermione asked, confused that there was anything else to say on the matter, "Harry I don't care what we have to do, we just have to protect her from them!"

"Hermione…" Harry started, giving her a strangled look- a look that he had practically mastered in the past few days. The time had now come, where he honestly felt there was no more getting around their inevitable last option.

"Hermione… we can't keep her."

---