Unofficial Portkey Archive

Less Than Tomorrow by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Less Than Tomorrow

leedee

Chapter Seventeen

-

-

Draco woke up to the smell of garlic chicken. They were now hiding in Scotland and, after arriving two hours ago, Draco had needed rest after the long drive. He walked into the small kitchen and saw Mallory on the floor, napping in the babysitter, and Hermione at the stove. He stood and watched them for a while, enjoying the image. Though having children had always crossed his mind, he had never really thought about what having a family would be like.

"Smells good," he said and Hermione jumped. "Sorry," he added. Hermione clasped her chest and laughed, but her shocked cry had woken Mallory who had started crying. Draco bent down and picked her up, trying to comfort her. "It's not working," he complained, intolerantly.

"Here give her to me, you just keep an eye on the chicken in the pan," she said. Draco walked over and gave the baby to Hermione, when he passed her over to Hermione his hand gently grazed her breast and Hermione looked surprised at him.

"Sorry," he said, but didn't seem too sorry. She walked by him and Draco could smell her scent in the air she smelled so lovely. She always smelled like green apples.

He forced himself to snap out of it.

Hermione put the baby down in her babysitter-chair. She finished dinner and set it on the table. While she and Draco were eating, Draco gathered his courage and said, "I'm sorry about what I said at the ball," he spoke so low that Hermione hardly heard him.

"Did you mean it?" Hermione asked and looked intently at him.

Draco thought for a minute, drank some water and answered, "No."

"Well, good," she smiled at him and returned to her food. After a few moments she looked up and added, "Then why did you say it?"

"I don't know."

"Sure you do."

"I guess I wanted to tease Potter, I get a kick out of it."


"Yeah, I've noticed," she smiled at him and he looked down at his plate. "And why did you bring Ginny?"

He looked into her eyes, unable to decide whether it was to make Harry jealous so he'd run back to Ginny…or that he did it to make Hermione jealous.


"To get under Potter's skin, of course."

"So you don't fancy Ginny that way?" Hermione asked carefully.

"No." Draco kept looking at her. Who would have thought? he asked himself, Draco Malfoy smitten by Hermione Granger!

---

"I am going for a walk, will you be all right alone with Mallory?" she asked him.

He nodded uninterestedly. Hermione set off and walked quite a bit before she whispered Harry's name into the ring. This time he appeared faster, he had apparated to an area close to where she was and had flown the rest. He came up to her from behind and startled her. She didn't greet him with any words, she just threw herself around his neck. After a few minutes of passionate kissing she asked, "Any news? Any new suspects?"

Harry shook his head solemnly. "I'm sorry, Hermione, I am really trying my best!"

"I know you are," she whispered and leaned her forehead against his.

"Is Malfoy treating you okay?" he asked, sounding jealous.

"Yes, we are fine." Harry nodded and kissed her again. "But, Harry, I'm not sure how long I can take this….I hate running to somewhere different every day. And if you get caught, you'll be in so much trouble."

"Don't worry about me."

"I always worry about you," she laughed and he kissed her nose. Harry pulled out a blanket and lowered her on it. They made love under the sky, but it was very cold and they hurried it along quite fast.

Hermione sat on the blanket looking up at the sky. "It's going to start to snow soon," she said.

"Yeah, I know," Harry answered as he buttoned his pants.

"I hope I don't have to celebrate Christmas as a wanted criminal," she whispered.

He put his hand on the back of her neck and pulled her closer to him.

"I told the Weasley's about…."


"Us?" she looked shocked.

"No," he smiled, she was so engaging. "I told them about your job. About why you were seeing Connor and why you went with Draco."

"Why?" she asked surprised.

"I couldn't stand them talking about you two as an item," he admitted. This time it was her time to reach for him, and she kissed him.

Hermione hurried back to the cabin and found Draco sitting in front of the fire on the floor with a sad look on his face. She sat down next to him.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, just thinking about my mum. She never got to see Mallory."

Hermione looked at him, he was staring so fixedly into the fire. She reached for his hand and squeezed it gently. The contact startled him and he yanked it away. He immediately regretted it and wanted to hold her hand again.

"I think I will go to bed," she whispered, afraid to disturb him.

"Yeah, you do that," he answered. As Hermione got up Draco closed his eyes to smell a bit of her scent again, but he could almost swear he smelled a man's cologne on her. He was sure he was imagining it, how could anyone have found them?

---

On their fourth week of hiding, everything changed very quickly. Gawain came hurrying into Harry's office. "Connor Cowell is here, he wants to talk to you!" he said.

"Why?" Gawain shrugged and waved at Harry to follow him. Connor was indeed standing outside the Auror entrance, waiting for Harry.

"Cowell," Harry greeted. He still hated the man's guts. He remembered Connor's hands all over Hermione.

"I am here to confess to the murders of Neville Longbottom, Narcissa Malfoy and the goblin Griphook. I also attacked Hermione Granger, opened the graves of Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks. In addition I burned down the house of Hermione's parents," he said and Harry stared at him. Gawain, who had been standing only a few feet away, quickly sprang into action, putting a binding spell on Connor's wrists.


"You're under arrest, Cowell," he said, and escorted him to the dungeon. In the interrogation room he confessed to details only a guilty man could have known. Something about the story still bothered Harry though, why was he confessing? And why didn't he give a motive?

---

Hermione and Draco were eating dinner at the kitchen table of an old manor; they had no idea about Connor's confession. Harry had sent the Auror's best owl to find Hermione, but it was taking time. No owl was as good as Hedwig had been.

"So should we do something fun today?" Hermione asked Draco. He looked out the window, it was grey and wet.

"Like what?"

"I don't know, let's rent a muggle movie or something. They have a DVD player and huge TV."

"A DV-what?"

"You do know what a muggle movie is, right?"

"Of course," he snarled at her.

"So how about it, we'll by loads of sweets and make a fire and just watch movies all day?"

Draco actually thought it sounded like a good idea, but thought more about it as he watched her clear the table. He wouldn't mind staying hidden like this with her a while longer.

"Only if you promise to make me hot chocolate," he finally said. She turned and looked at him and with a smile on her face she answered:

"Do it yourself!"

---

Hermione took the car and drove to the shop, getting the movies and treats. Draco, meanwhile, was holding Mallory, her chubby hand was playing with his finger when he saw what he was sure was an Auror owl outside the window. He gently put down the baby, and took the note from the owl. Before he opened it he took a deep breath and gathered himself. This note could say anything. He knew Harry must have sent it, only he could tell an Owl where to find them. He would address the Owl to Mallory and Hermione at once, and no one else knew they were at the same place.


"Hermione,

Connor Cowell has confessed. Return to London, come straight to ministry!

Love, Harry"

Draco stared at the piece of paper. So it was just that ironic. Just as he had thought about how much he liked being on the run with Hermione, it was all over. He heard the sound of the car outside the house and, in a blink of an eye, he threw the paper in the fireplace. Hermione bounced inside, obviously in a good mood.

"I got us some classics; The Godfather, Grease, Titanic and Scarface. I personally hate Scarface, but I thought you'd like it. I wasn't sure what kind of muggle sweets you liked, so I just got loads." She placed the bag on the table and walked over to Mallory.

"Hello, gorgeous," she smiled at the baby. "You just get more beautiful every time I see you!" she kissed Mallory's cheek.

"Wine? Draco asked and started pouring up two glasses. She threw off her coat.

"It's really raining cats and dogs out there!" she shook slightly.

"You're lucky you got back when you did, it looks like it's going to get worse!"

Hermione reached for the wine glass and the taste was wonderful, just what she needed. She sat down on the floor in front of the fire; she closed here eyes and enjoyed the feel of the heat on her face.

"We're really loving the wine on this trip," she joked.

"Well, we need something to keep us sane," he replied.

Draco stood and leaned with is back against the wall, watching her. There was a loud roar of thunder and Draco looked outside.

"Sit," she said to Draco and gestured to the floor next to her. He did as he was told, and sat down. Hermione quickly finished her glass of wine and jumped up. "I'm going to go change into something more comfortable," she said.

"I like the sound of that," Draco sneered.

"Yeah, right," she laughed and walked into the bathroom. When she came back, Draco was disappointed to see that she really had meant something more comfortable. Hermione had her hair in a large messy bun on her head, and she was in flannel pajamas.

"Sexy!" Draco said and pretended to roll his eyes, she just smiled at him. He reached over and refilled her glass while Hermione popped in the DVD. They were sitting on the floor in front of the sofa, the fire crackling and The Godfather playing, it was the only movie they could agree on. Hermione took a large bite of her Toblerone and looked at the huge TV. Draco had more trouble looking ahead, she looked so lovely. The wine was giving him a false sense of bravado.

"So, you and Krum," he said, it was the only thing he could think of to say.

"What about it?" she asked and looked at him.

"What happened there?"

"I was in my fourth year!" she answered as thinking it was enough of an answer.

"If you think that'll make me believe you're innocent, you should just know what I was up to when I was fourteen!" Draco mocked and sipped his wine.

"Sick!" she giggled. "So it's true, then?" she asked.

"What is?"

"You and all those stories?"

Draco squinted slightly and looked at her face. She was so focused on his words. He wasn't quite used to a girl actually being interested in what he was saying. Or maybe it was the other way around; he was actually listening to a girl for once.

"Hermione, all you have to do is ask!" he said and drank some more.

"Ask what?" she asked innocently.

"If all the rumors are true."

"Well are they?" she asked and looked down at his free hand. It was lying still and steadily on his leg.

"Which ones?"


"About all the girls…."

He met her eye again and thought for a moment, before answering, "Yes."

The thunder beat hard and Hermione anxiously looked outside.

"We'll be fine, right?" she asked him. He raised an eyebrow. "I just mean the house won't get flooded or anything, will it?" she asked and he just rolled his eyes.

"Are you an Auror or not? And I thought Gryffindors were suppose to be brave," he sneered. There was a loud bang on the window and Hermione shrieked. The baby woke up and yelled loudly.

"Bloody hell," Draco said and spun around. Both he and Hermione had already whipped out their wands. A large tree branch was beating against the window, the wind had made several branches of a large tree fall down.

Draco and Hermione both hurried outside, they needed to move the branch before it broke the window. The rain was thrashing them both, and it was painful as it hit them in the face.

"You have to pull it back!" Draco screamed at Hermione. The wind was almost blocking out his voice.

"What?" she yelled back. He waved with his hand.

"It's stuck on the ledge, we have to pull it up, and then out." She nodded and took a hold of the large branch.

"Now!" They pulled with all her strength but it wouldn't budge.

"The window!" Hermione yelled and pointed at the window. The sound of the raindrops were splattering hard around them, almost hurting their ears. Draco looked at her, she was completely soaked, Mallory was inside screaming, and if this window broke the house would be too cold for them to sleep in. He looked down at his wand; if he'd use it they'd get caught.

"Again!" he screamed. Both of them put all their might into it and the branch came loose with a jolt and both Draco and Hermione were flung to the ground by their own force. Draco reached out and helped Hermione up and they hurried backs inside.

"Oh my God, I'm freezing," Hermione stuttered through clenched teeth.

"I'll look for some blankets," Draco said and Hermione hurried towards the crying baby.

"It's okay, sweetie!" Hermione hurried over and reached for baby Mallory, who was whimpering in her bassinet. "I can't pick you up, I am too wet. Shh…." Hermione rocked the bassinet but Mallory was screaming, obviously very frightened by the sounds outside. Hermione leaned down and was about to start singing a lullaby when lightning hit just outside and scared her.

"Oh my…." she squealed. She looked down at Mallory and forced herself not to think about the storm. She caressed her cheek and gently rocked the crib from side to side, careful not to drip cold water on her. She started singing the old lullaby her mother used to sing:

"Sorrow and care, frowns and gray hair;

So smile, my baby bonnie.
Laugh, my baby, beauty; What will time do to ye?
Furrow your cheek, wrinkle your neck, so laugh, my baby, beauty.
Dance, my baby, deary; Mother will never be weary.
Frolic and play now while you may;

So dance, my baby, deary."

Hermione's voice was trembling from the cold, but Mallory went quiet very suddenly, and, just as fast, she had fallen back to sleep. Hermione smiled lovingly at the baby, that very song had so many dear memories for her. Draco returned carrying a blanket, he looked at Hermione singing to Mallory.

"Mum use to sing that one to me," he spoke without thinking, a habit he hated.

"Really?" Hermione whirled around. "I love that song!" she beamed at him, "I didn't know it existed in the magical world."

"I only found this old moldy one!" he said, quickly changing the subject. He didn't want to talk about his mother.


"Better than nothing!" Hermione said. He walked over to her and, throwing the blanket around her, rubbed her shoulders. She was white and shivering.

"Nice holiday, we're on," she joked and he smiled.

"Best I could do," he joked back.

"With all your bleeding money I would have thought a trip to the Caribbean was more appropriate!"

"Come here," he pulled her to him and wrapped his arms around her. He rubbed her arms and the blanket was swept around both of them. Suddenly he stopped and pulled back his head. He looked into her brown eyes and felt an immediate urge to kiss her. Hermione blinked. She knew that look; she had seen it in many men before.

"Hermione," he said in a husky voice and she looked up at him. Thunder roared again and Hermione jumped. Draco leaned closer and his nose was almost touching hers. Water was dripping from his wet bangs that were now plastered on the side of his face. She looked quickly over at the crackling fire.

"It's dying," she nodded towards the fire.

Draco turned his head and looked at it. He was now leaning his head against hers completely. He closed his eyes for a moment. "Better put more wood on it," he whispered softly and then let her go.

They didn't dare put on the television again because they were afraid lightning would strike. Instead they just sat in front of the fire, drinking the wine and talking. Hermione was more than happy to stay in the same room with Draco and Mallory. The rest of the house was still very cold, and the thunder was roaring outside. Draco and Mallory fell asleep on the floor next to the fire. Hermione stared into it for a few moments, sleep teasing her eyelids as she tried to keep them open.

Just before Hermione finally gave up she whispered into the ring, "Harry." She wanted him to come in the morning, she needed to see him.

---

Harry was so relieved when he was called by Hermione. He hurried away at dawn and flew straight to where she was. He sat down at an old stone house and hurried over the lawn. He couldn't wait to tell them about what had happened - they could come home. He ran up to the window and saw Draco and Hermione asleep on the floor, on a blanket. They were lying on their sides and Draco had his arm around Hermione.

What the hell?, he asked himself. He stood an extra moment and looked at them. For weeks they had been alone and now he was left to wonder what had happened. He cast an Alohomora on the door and let himself in. Both Draco and Hermione woke up immediately. Draco let his arm linger around Hermione's waist, only hoping to make Harry jealous.

"Harry!" Hermione shrieked and crawled from the floor. "What are you doing here?" Harry raised his eyebrows and she remembered. She had called him before she fell asleep and she felt ashamed. She had dragged Harry all this way, now Draco knew and she had put them all in danger.

"How the hell did you find us?" Draco asked, suddenly he felt a lot more uncomfortable. He had always had the feeling that Harry was close, and he had smelled what he believed was a man's cologne on Hermione.

"Didn't you get my owl?" Harry asked.

"Owl?" Hermione looked inquiringly.

He told them all about Connor's confession. Hermione covered her mouth excitedly. "I can't believe it!" she shrieked and threw herself around Harry's neck. She quickly let go and ran over to Draco.


"We can go back," she smiled and hugged him. Draco and Harry locked eyes when Draco hugged Hermione. Draco was sure of it; something had changed between Hermione and Harry…he could sense it.

-->