Unofficial Portkey Archive

Less Than Tomorrow by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Less Than Tomorrow

leedee

Chapter Two

-

-

-

"What?" Harry said and looked inquisitively at his boss. Hermione took a seat next to Harry and smiled at him, pushing aside her desire to hug him. It had been six months since Christmas at the Burrow when they had last seen each other. Harry looked at her and flashes from his dream made their way into his mind. He flushed briefly and then quickly pushed them away and turned back to Gawain.

"This is the story," Gawain started and took a sip from his coffee. "Cowell is up to something, I can feel it. I'm sure of it. Now we need someone on the inside, as I said. Ms. Granger has just finished her Auror training abroad, and no one here yet knows that she's an Auror. I, therefore, have asked her to join our team."

Harry looked at Hermione. "But.…"

She looked at him, her grin fading, but not disappearing. "Don't worry, I want to do it. I'm so happy to be back here."

"She just finished her training; you can't send her out into the field yet!" Harry objected.

Hermione's smile faded completely into a hurt frown. "You don't think I can do it?" she asked.

"I hate to say it, but Potter is right. We can't send a rookie to do something like this," Draco said.

Hermione glared at him. "I'm afraid it's our only option. But since Ms. Granger is fresh out of training she will need a partner in this. So Draco, you will be her partner."


"What?!" Harry and Draco shouted, standing up.

"Ms. Granger will be staying at the same hotel as Cowell, her cover will be that she hasn't found a flat yet. She has returned because of her public break up with Ronald Weasley." Harry glanced over at Hermione and saw that her cheeks turned slightly pink. He knew that she hated the fact that Ron's successful Quidditch career had made her, yet again, the victim of gossip magazines. "Hopefully Cowell will take a liking to Hermione here, and she will be our eyes and ears. Draco you will be helping her with the surveillance in her room. Naturally you will keep an eye on her while under cover, so nothing happens."

Harry sighed, he knew what that meant. Draco would spend many hours in the room with Hermione spying on Cowell.

"It will also give you, Harry, a great chance to visit the hotel since everyone knows about your past and present friendship with Hermione." Hermione and Harry's eyes met briefly before they quickly looked away.

---

The meeting was soon over and Hermione followed Harry to his office. He didn't say a word until the door behind them was closed.

"Harry," Hermione said, lovingly, and went to hug him. Harry took a step forward and wrapped his arms around her small waist. Hermione pressed her face against his neck and felt the familiar warmth of his skin. Harry let go after a few moments, feeling slightly uncomfortable.

"I can't believe this," Harry said and waved in the direction of the office.

"Yeah, I know, it's insane. I'm so sorry I couldn't tell you, but it all happened so fast and I couldn't risk Ron or Ginny hearing about it."

Harry nodded and ran a hand through his hair. "So you're back."

"I'm back," she smiled brightly at him. "But you seem very disappointed."

"I really don't like this Hermione. You and Malfoy - in a hotel room… You and Connor Cowell! I can't believe Gawain didn't tell me about this." Hermione walked behind his desk and sat down.

"Oh, stop it, Harry. We don't even know if he'll want to date me. I might not be his type."

"Oh, you'll be his type, all right," Harry mumbled and Hermione smiled sweetly at him.

---

Harry soon found himself sitting across from Hermione in a muggle restaurant. He couldn't believe that she was back. She had been in the States for three whole years. Harry looked up at her face. Her features had matured and sweetened and her hair had tamed since their years at Hogwarts. He couldn't believe how good she looked.

"Harry, you're staring!" Hermione laughed.

"I just can't believe you're back. What did Ron say about you leaving? Was he upset?"

Hermione tensed before answering. "We broke up since moths ago," she said quietly and drank some water.

"Yeah, well, we've all heard that one before," Harry said with a slight bitterness lingering in his voice.

"It's different this time."

"Why?"


"The first two years together was long-distance. He was in the States and I was here. Even then we were breaking up all the time."


"I remember." Hermione rolled her eyes; she was used to people's comments about their constant breakups - especially Harry's.

"Yeah well, living together was hard. I don't really want to talk about it. I can just say that Ronald and I are meant to be friends, best friends. We tried it the other way and it just didn't work. We won't be getting back together again." They were quiet for a while before changing the subject. "So tell me, how is Luna?"

"I think she's fine. Haven't seen her since last summer, she's traveling around Europe."

"That's great!" Hermione beamed. "And Neville?"


"Same as always, loving his job at Hogwarts." Hermione started making her way through the list and finally asked.

"And Ginny, everything is good with her?"


"Yes," Harry answered shortly and they didn't continue the subject.

---

The entire next day Hermione spent with Gawain Robbards being briefed on Connor Cowell. He was a very handsome, older man: tall, dark and dangerously charming. He threw huge dinner parties and balls every few weeks. He knew the wizarding elite from around the world. He had been born a millionaire but had more than tripled his fortune by himself. He had never married even though many had tried to snare him. His hair was always slicked back and he wore a well-trimmed goatee - Hermione thought he looked greasy. He had attractive features; he looked almost Italian.

As soon as her briefing was done, Hermione moved into her suite at the hotel, her view was of the huge, circular pool. The hotel was magical and enchanted to always have summer weather at the pool. It was indeed summer in all of London, but nothing could compare to the heat at the pool. Right across Hermione's window was Connor's suite and they had the perfect location for watching him. Hermione was unpacking her luggage and Harry was sitting on the bed watching her.

"This all went kind of fast," he said. She turned and looked at him.

"Since when do you baby me like this Harry? I'm sure most missions happen quickly. Right?" He agreed, but he still didn't like it. The door opened and a very attractive blond woman entered. The woman picked up her wand and tapped herself, she quickly transformed into Draco Malfoy.

"Meet my friend Melissa," Hermione smiled at Harry and gestured at Draco.

"Wow, Malfoy. You should stick to being a woman full-time. Maybe you'd pick up more dates," Harry taunted and turned his attention back to Hermione.

"Shut it, Potter." Draco sat down on one of the chairs and also watched Hermione unpack.

"So where do I sleep?" he asked and looked over at the large bed.

"On the floor in the next room," Harry quickly answered and sat up straight.

"I'm supposed to be here to protect her, Potter, I doubt I can do that from the next room. Where do you want me, Granger? In the bed? Do you like right side, left side? Are you a top or bottom?" He raised one eyebrow at her and she just shook her head. "Of course," he said turning back to Harry, "I can not guarantee Granger being able to concentrate on Cowell whilst I'm here. Females have a tendency to lose their concentration around me," Draco continued while looking at his fingernails.

"Yeah, no doubt." Hermione said sarcastically.

"Anyway, I've just been told that Cowell is out of town on business. So we'll just have to sit tight for a couple of days. It'll be just the two of us, Granger," Draco sneered and looked at Harry. Harry felt his temper rising. He hated Hermione being with Draco in a hotel room. Draco couldn't be trusted, that was for sure. Hermione would never look twice at the slimy git, but still. He was a known womanizer and it just wouldn't be appropriate for them to live by themselves. He should have been given the mission, not Malfoy!

"Well, tonight I'll be out," Hermione answered.


"Where to?" Draco asked. Harry looked both inquiringly and annoyed at him. "I'm her partner," Draco said, seeing the look on Harry's face.

"My friends are throwing me a welcome home party. We are all going out to dinner, so you'll have the suite all to yourself."

---

Harry was back in his office, finishing the day. He couldn't help but wonder what was going on at that hotel. Hermione alone with Malfoy, the mere though made him angry. He went over Connor Cowell's file again. Gawain was right; something was going on with Cowell. Hopefully they could solve the case quickly and Hermione could spend some more time at the office before being sent out into the field again. Harry packed up his things and headed back to his flat. When he entered he saw a pair of suede shoes in the hallway.

"Gin, are you here?" he called out.

"I'm here sweetie." Harry sighed. He had been looking forward to sometime alone. He and Ginny weren't living together yet, even though they were engaged, but they may as well have been since she was already there all the time.

Ginny came out of the kitchen. "Just making some tea, do you want a cup?" He shook his head and went into his bedroom where he crashed down on the bed. Ginny followed him inside and leaned against the doorpost.

"I'm really looking forward to tonight."

"Good," Harry answered.

"Can't wait to see Hermione. Finally! You've seen her already, haven't you?"


"Yeah, I went by the hotel yesterday."


"I still don't see how she could be staying at a hotel. She could have stayed with me. And how can she even afford an expensive place like that?" Harry looked over at Ginny, the last thing he needed was Ginny getting too nosy.

"You look pretty," he said in lack of anything else to say. She smiled at him and walked over to the bed.

"How about if I crawl into bed with you?"

"I'm really tired Gin, I'm sorry." Slightly disappointed Ginny returned to the kitchen to get her tea. She had mixed feelings about Hermione's return. She liked Hermione, she really did. But she liked her more when she was with Ron. Ginny couldn't help feeling slightly jealous, or maybe envious was the right word. It wasn't that she thought Harry looked at Hermione that way; it was just that he gave her so much more time.

---

Hermione wore one of her many new outfits bought for the mission: a long black skirt and a tight, blood red shirt. She was happy to be reunited with her many friends at one of the busiest restaurants on Diagon Alley. The drinks were flowing, the gossip was high and the music was playing.

"So will Ron ever move back to London?" Lavender asked.

"Why, do you miss Won-Won?" Hermione teased and Lavender turned slightly pink.

"Don't worry Hermione, he's all yours."

Everyone laughed but Hermione added: "Last I heard he was dating a model in the States."

"Really?" Harry asked and looked shocked.

"Yeah, I told you we broke up six months ago. I dated a few guys over there myself," she added before taking a sip of her martini.

"Oh, do tell," Ginny leaned forward. Harry frowned.

"Nothing to tell. Never lead anywhere."

"We'll have to hook you up now that you're back," Ginny giggled.

"I'm in no hurry to find someone."

"No, we're not all as lucky as you and Harry… Found the right one right away!" Parvati added.

Hermione looked at Harry and their eyes locked for a moment. She smiled slightly and then looked back down into her drink.

"Don't look so sad,Hermione," Ginny said as she saw their eyes meet. "Maybe you and Ron will get back together."


"Yeah, maybe."

"Cheers to Hermione's return!" Seamus said and raised his glass. They all followed and downed their drinks. Soon the music was even louder and most of the gang was dancing on the small dance floor. Hermione remained seated, playing with the edge of her glass. Harry moved from his seat and sat down next to her.

"You all right?" She nodded and smiled. "Sure?" he added.

"It's just strange you know, lying to my friends. Not being able to tell them that I'm working as an Auror. I've worked so hard to become an Auror, and now I have the job of my dreams. I wish I could tell them, I wish I could tell Ron," she said thoughtfully. Harry put his hand on hers on the table.

"You will tell them after this is finished. It won't take long."

"You think?" He nodded and quickly let go of her hand as he saw Ginny approaching the table. Ginny sat down on Harry's lap and kissed his cheek.

"Aren't you going to come and dance with me?" she pouted.

His rolled his eyes a little, but Ginny didn't notice. "Yeah, all right." They got up to dance and Hermione was left alone. She looked at her friends on the dance floor. It felt odd being here without Ron, and without Luna. Neville was twirling Lavender in a circle and they were laughing loudly. Suddenly it all felt like it was moving in slow-motion. Just a few days ago she had been in the States, now she was here in Diagon Alley, thrown back into everyone's lives. She looked at Harry and Ginny dancing together and felt a small tug in her heart.

Just forget about him already. He will never be yours, he is marrying your friend, she thought.

---

Slightly drunk she stumbled through the corridor of the hotel. It was late and she wanted to sleep. It took her quite a few moments to try to open the door the room and she finally fell inside. The door slammed behind her and Draco came with his wand drawn.

"Merlin, Granger, you scared me!" he admitted.

"Oh, is that all it takes to scare big, bad Draco Malfoy," she giggled and sat down on the sofa.

He gave her a strange look and then his eyes lit up with realization. "You're drunk!" he said sounding surprised.

"So?" Draco watched in amusement as Hermione stood up to go to the bathroom and lost her balance and fell back down on the sofa. "Shut up!" she said to him before he could say anything. She finally got up and went to the bathroom. Draco could hear her dropping something in there and then mutter some curse words foul enough to make Ron proud.

"Very unprofessional to get this drunk the day before your mission starts," he called into her. The door swung open and Hermione looked angry.

"I didn't do it on purpose, Malfoy."

"Someone force the drink down your throat? Just so you know Granger, you don't have to swallow - you can always spit."

"You're disgusting!" She slammed the door shut.

---

The next day Connor Cowell did indeed return to the hotel and Hermione and Draco spent the day at her window with their equipment. They had magical binoculars that could look around corners and they could sit on the floor while it kept an eye out for them.

"This is boring," Hermione said after a few hours. "We've been at this all day. Why don't I just go down there?"

"We need to see what he usually does throughout the day," Draco answered without taking his eyes of the monitor connected to the binoculars.

"I'll just go down there in one of the tiny bathing suits he obviously likes and I'm sure he'll try to come on to me."

"Bit cocky, aren't we? Not everyone is as desperate as Weasley, you know." Hermione glared at him. "By the way," Draco added, more interested than cynical, "what does he think about you being back here with Potter?"

Hermione looked startled. "What-what do you mean `with Potter'? He is with Ginny, they're getting married." She stuttered. Draco raised both his eyebrows.

"Relax Granger, I didn't mean with Potter, I meant back in the UK without the third of the magic trio."

"Oh," Hermione looked out the window. Draco tried to read her expression; she had jumped a bit too fast at that statement hadn't she? "Come here!" Hermione suddenly called and broke his thoughts. She waved at him to hurry and Draco ran over to the window. They sat on the floor and peeked out.

"Move, I can't see," he said and squeezed closer to her. "What am I supposed to be looking at?"

"There!" she pointed at Cowell talking to a man in his room. The man looked very scared and he seemed to be delivering bad news to Cowell because suddenly he threw his drink at the man.

"Wonder what that's about," Hermione whispered. Draco turned and looked at her. He had never been this close to Hermione before and was surprised that she smelled of green apples.

"Wonder about what?" They both sprung apart and looked at Harry standing in the middle of the room.

"How did you get in here?" Draco asked.

"I've connected the fireplace. Hermione's room is connected with my home and yours, Draco. Just in case." Hermione returned her attention to the window.

"Damn, he's gone," Hermione mumbled. Draco squeezed back next to her and looked as well. Harry got a feeling in his stomach that he didn't like. Draco had his arm on the other side of Hermione. Sure he had it there to balance his body weight, but Harry didn't like it.

"Well, I just came to tell you that we're all connected now, through the floo…so…"

"Ok, thanks, Harry," Hermione smiled at him.

When Harry disconnected himself from the floo, he went straight to Gawain's office. He had to do something about the situation...

-

-

-

-

I love reviews, as we all do… hint hint

Many thanks to my great beta Chelsey

-->