Unofficial Portkey Archive

Less Than Tomorrow by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Less Than Tomorrow

leedee

Chapter Twenty-Five

-

-

"Just stay awake, okay!" Hermione said and patted his cheek.

It felt cold and damp.

She looked around in panic, hoping to find something or someone to help her, but there was no one. The only person who could help them was Harry and he was still trying to fight off Bellatrix. "Harry will arrive any moment, I'm sure of it," Hermione rambled while rocking Draco back and forth. His blood was soaking her dress and she had started weeping uncontrollably. She felt driblets running down her inner thigh and closed her eyes. Draco looked up at her without speaking. She felt his eyes burning into her and opened her eyes.

"You know, when we get back, you're paying for my dry-cleaning," she sobbed.

"We're wizards," Draco whispered.

"Right, so you'll just have to clean it then." She smiled at him. Draco was turning paler and paler every second. He reached out and caressed her cheek, wiping away her tears with his thumb.

"Are you okay?" he asked and tried to smile, but it just looked like a painful grimace.

Hermione smiled back. She could have sworn his pupils were starting to dilate.

"So when we get back, we'll go to the park…or the zoo!" she exclaimed, "Mallory'd love that, wouldn't she?" Draco stopped smiling, reached behind her neck and pulled her down to him. Hermione was unsure for just a moment what was happening until his lips gently kissed hers.

"I love you," he whispered and Hermione eyes overflowed. Her hot tears spilled over and fell onto his face. She looked into his grey eyes and with all her heart she wished time would stand still. She had seen injured men like this before, she knew what Draco was doing; he was saying goodbye. "Just tell me you love me, just lie for me…." he begged and the look in his eye could have killed her.

"Oh, Draco, I do love you," she whimpered and the pain in her heart was killing her. His eyes seemed to smile slightly, even though he had no energy to smile himself. He released her and closed his eyes. Hermione started crying heavier and she shook him. "Wake up, Draco, please!" she pleaded. She looked again from side to side. She looked over at the bed and noticed how ugly it was. She decided that she was not going to let him die beside this stupid, ugly bed - it was inhumane. This bed would not be a part of her last memory of him! "Wake up!" she screamed angrily. "I forbid you!" Draco didn't move. He was limp and heavy in her lap. She leaned close to him, her nose touching his. "Please…." she whispered, her heart honestly begging him," Please!" When he didn't respond she looked at the door and thought:"Harry, I need you!"

---

Harry ran through the door a few moments later and immediately kneeled at Draco's side. "What happened?" he demanded.

"Pansy, she struck him! We have to save him, Harry," she pleaded. Harry ran over to Pansy's dresser looking for the portkey. He'd overheard Bellatrix tell one of the other guards to hide it in Pansy's room. Hermione closed her eyes, knowing that what was about to happen would forever change her life. She gripped Draco's hand hard, though she knew he was gone from her now.

"Grab the baby," Harry yelled to Hermione. He ran over and lifted Draco; the weight made him realize just how exhausted he was from his battle with Bellatrix. Hermione sobbed loudly and they hurried over to the portkey as fast as they could, grabbing it together. They were flung out at Knockturn Alley and from there they apparated to St Mungo's.

---

The scene awaiting them at St. Mungo's was utter chaos. They were all separated, pulled apart by Healers believing them all to be bleeding. Harry struggled to get to Hermione but he was held down. He was held down with such a force, he felt like a prisoner trying to escape. All Hermione could do was cry. People were bombarding her with questions, they wanted to know where she had been, who had done this to her, what had happened to Draco Malfoy, and who the baby's parents were.

Hermione clung hard to Mallory. She thought about Harry losing both of his parents as a baby and wondered if Mallory would have the same fate. She kissed Mallory's head and stroked her. No matter what happens, she will have someone to love her and care for her, she thought. She didn't need to convince herself, she knew that she could never let this child go.

"Will you let us look at you?" A plump woman asked.

"I'm fine," she hissed. "It's not my blood. When will I get to see Harry? Is he okay? And when will you tell me about…Draco, is he…?" The woman shrugged.

---

Hermione was pacing by the window when Ron came running inside. She flung herself around him, and started crying. "Oh my God, Hermione!" he said into her hair, kissing her cheeks fervently. He pulled her from him. He hadn't seen her in months, just seeing her face was an unbelievable feeling. Hermione needed to look at him for a few moments as well. She had seen him die in front of her. The pain had been beyond words.

"Oh, Ron!" she sobbed and kissed him full on the lips. He pulled her close and hugged her hard.

"I love you!" they said at once and clung to each other.

"I thought, I mean for a few seconds I thought… I saw!

"Yeah, I know," he finished for her.

"It was the worst -."

"But I'm fine!" he assured her. She hugged him tight again. Ron, her dear friend, Ronald Billius Wealsey, in her arms... It really took a moment like this one to appreciate all the silliness that came with a person. His stupid Quidditch fixation, his stupid jealousy of his brothers… of Harry, his over-eating… it was all so lovely, so charming! She smiled and kissed both his cheeks.

"You have to help me, they won't let me see Harry or Draco!" she said hurriedly. Ron took her by the hand and pushed his way past the Healers trying to stop them. They hurried down the corridor and quickly found Harry. He was standing in a room yelling at three Healers.

"I have to see her now! I am fine, I'm not hurt!" The healers were trying to calm him down.


"Please, Mr. Potter, you have many cuts we need to tend to, if you would just let us…." Hermione and Ron appeared in the door and Harry ran towards her.

"Are you okay?" he asked, taking her face in his hands. She nodded, tears filling her eyes. "Thank God," he whispered kissing her forehead. Ron just looked between them, he had no idea where they had been or what had happened, but he was so happy that they were back. Hermione buried her face in Harry's shoulder. Ron excused himself and didn't return for quite sometime.

By the time he finally returned, Harry had calmed Hermione down somewhat, and she was walking around with Mallory in her arms. Hermione stopped pacing the moment she saw Ron enter. She looked piercingly at him. Ron walked over to Harry and whispered something in his ear, Harry looked at Hermione and she stopped breathing.

"Please don't say that he is dead…." she spoke quietly.

"We should get you home, Hermione, being here isn't good for you - in your condition…." Harry said the last part quietly, they still hadn't told anyone.

"Is he still alive?" she demanded and looked wide-eyed at Harry. He looked down at his feet. "Ron!" she turned to Ron and now the tears escaped her eyes and ran down her cheeks. He looked down at his feet, not knowing what to tell her - nothing would make her feel any better.

"They're trying, Hermione, but…it's not looking…." Ron started, but Hermione turned her back to them. She rocked Mallory back and forth, kissing her forehead. Mallory still had that sweet innocent baby scent; Hermione smelled the top of her head.

"He's all she has left," she whispered and looked out the window.

-

-

AN: Yeah this chapter is really short, I know. Forgive me : - )

-->