Unofficial Portkey Archive

Forbidden Love by usako99
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Forbidden Love

usako99

Forbidden Love

Chapter 25

"Hermione!" Ginny called again from the sitting room before knocking on the bedroom door.

"Just a minute!" Hermione responded while frantically pushing at Harry's shoulders.

After he hastily scrambled off of her, she gave the dark-haired boy a shove and he quickly ducked under her bed. As she made her way to the door Hermione did her best to fix her hair and adjust her clothing. Assuring herself that she was presentable by giving a quick glance into the mirror, she then opened the door partially to a flushed looking Ginny.

"Hey, Ginny. What's up?" Hermione asked with a weak smile while gently easing her way out of the room.

However she needn't have bothered since the other girl remained oblivious to her friends' odd behavior as she made her way back into the middle of the sitting room. Hermione watched worriedly as her friend paced back and forth in front of her, lightly hugging herself and utterly lost in thought.

"Ginny?" Hermione questioned, approaching the other girl and placing a hand lightly on her shoulder.

Before she knew what had happened, Hermione found herself engulfed in the other girl's arms as Ginny threw herself at her mate and cried heavily on her shoulder. Unsure of what to do, the dark-haired girl just lightly rubbed her friends back as she waited for the tears to subside. About five minutes later, Ginny pulled back and gave Hermione a watery smile.

"Thanks," she mumbled, hiccupping softly and wiping her eyes. "I just needed to get that out."

"No problem- so, what happened?" Hermione questioned, already knowing the answer, but realizing what was expected of her.

Ginny dropped her head as tears began anew, "He dumped me."

Hermione bit her lip but didn't comment.

"There we were in the Room for Requirement for our big Valentines evening and instead of wanting to shag me, he wanted to dump me," the other girl cried with a troubled look. "What did I do wrong?! I don't understand…" she finished softly, her voice breaking as she began to weep once more.

Hermione put her arm around the other girl, giving a brief, guilty look to her bedroom door.

"Ginny," she ventured hesitantly, "I'm sure it'll be ok… who knows maybe now you'll meet a great chap who'll-"

"I don't want anyone else!" Ginny cried obstinately, "I want Harry! I love Harry! There is no one else for me, why don't you understand that?!"

Hermione flinched at the harsh response before quickly recovering and trying again. "Look, I know you feel that way now, but… just give it time. I'm sure in a month or two you'll be feeling as right as rain again," she offered with a weak smile.

Ginny shook her head and gave the brunette a wounded look, "You're not supposed to be saying this!" Hermione's brows rose. "You're supposed to be telling me that he'll realize what he's lost. That he'll come back and beg for my forgiveness. That he does love me and he's just being Harry by ending things out of some twisted sense of duty or concern for my safety!"

"Oh…er," Hermione frowned, then sighed, "I'd love to Ginny but- but I don't know that that's what's going on… I mean," she hesitated under the redheads hurt glare. "I'm not saying that I don't hope it's true… I'm just saying- that- well, there's a chance that maybe it really is over. That he really did mean it when he said he didn't love you."

Ginny's bottom lip quivered as she continued to gaze at her mate with hurt-filled eyes. "I don't think that that's it though Hermione. I think that he- wait… how did you know he said that he didn't love me?" she questioned frowning and closely scrutinizing the older girl.

Hermione fought a panicked look and settled for a shrug before responding in her haughtiest tone. "It was just a simple matter of deduction. You mentioned that Harry would realize that he loved you, so I deuced that he said that he didn't. That's all," she finished with another shrug, holding her breath.

Ginny shoulders fell and she gave a small nod before looking down at her hands; Hermione released the breath with a soft 'whoosh'.

"Hermione," she said after a moment of silence. The brunette responded with raised brows and a questioning look. "Do you think that- well…" Ginny fidgeted with her sleeve before looking back at her friend. "Do you think that maybe you can talk to Harry-" when the other girl opened her mouth to respond, she rushed on. "It's just that you're one of his best mates, I'm going to ask Ron to talk to him too. I figure if both of you talk to him and tell him how crazy this whole thing is then he'll listen… well maybe not so much to Ron, but he'll definitely listen to you. Please Hermione?" she finished with a beseeching look.

Hermione slowly shook her head as her brain tried to grasp what Ginny had just asked her. Ginny actually wanted her to talk Harry into getting back together with her? Not bloody likely!

"Ginny I can't." She help up a hand when the other girl tried to speak. "Look if Harry made a decision I have to respect it. I'm not going to try to change his mind on something that I'm sure he already spent a fair amount of time thinking about. I'm going to respect his wishes and so will Ron. After all, Harry didn't meddle in his decision to break things off with me."

Ginny frowned, "Yeah, but that's because Ron was seeing Luna already, Harry's not seeing anyone else."

Hermione opened her mouth to tell Ginny 'he sure the hell was', before catching herself and hastily snapping it shut.

"Is he?" the other girl asked quickly, having seen Hermione's movement.

"Uh- no, not that I know of…" Ginny gave her a disbelieving look. "Come on don't you think if Harry fancied someone else it would be all over school by now?" Hermione asked arching a brow.

Ginny sighed and looked down at her hands, "I guess…"

"Ginny-" Hermione started before wavering.

"What?" The redhead asked looking at her once more.

She bit her lip before cautiously continuing, "Ginny… are you sure that you even love Harry?"

"What! Of cou-"

"It's just that- I used to think that I loved Ron, but now that we've been apart I quickly realized that perhaps I just loved… well, the idea of him, you know?"

Ginny frowned and gave her a sideways look "What do you mean you quickly realized? The last I checked you weren't talking to either Ron or Harry over what had happened between you two."

Hermione flushed a bit, "Well… it wasn't that I was upset over what happed per'se… it was- well- I just needed some time to gather my thoughts. Get my head together, you know? That's all… in fact the next time I see your brother I'm going to make sure he knows that there are no hard feelings."

Ginny continued to stare at her blankly for a minute before scowling. "Well bully for you then. But what I feel for Harry is love, not just some passing fancy. I've loved him for as long as I can remember!"

"You haven't even known him for as long as you can remember!" Hermione retorted with an irritated look.

"That doesn't change anything!"

"Of course it does! How can you love someone you don't even know?!"

Ginny gave an affronted look, "I do too know Harry," she glared at the older girl. "In fact I'm quite sure I know him better than you do."

Hermione bit back the retort reminding herself that Ginny was just lasing out because she was hurting.

"In fact," the younger girl pressed, "I know him in way's you could never know him, in way's you couldn't even imagine."

The brunette simmered at what she was implying, "Please, I know you're upset right now Ginny but don't say stuff that isn't true."

"How do you know it's not true?"

"Because you told me? Remember at the beginning of this conversation… you said you were thinking about shagging him and he was thinking about dumping you." She responded rolling her eyes heavenward.

Ginny frowned, "We may not have gone all the way, but I still know him better than you."

Hermione sighed, "No you don't Ginny."

"How do you know?" was the petulant response.

"Because no one does," she replied confidently, looking the other girl in the eyes.

Ginny just stared at her for a minute before standing and walking over to the window. After hesitating for a moment Hermione followed.

"If that's true then perhaps you can answer a question for me," Ginny said softly, facing the scenery.

Hermione fidgeted for a moment before responding "I'll try…"

"What did I do wrong?" she turned and looked at Hermione her eyes awash with tears and filled with pain. "Why doesn't he love me?" she whispered in a broken voice.

Before her friend could respond the redhead turned and ran down the stairs, slamming the portrait shut noisily behind her.

--------------

Hermione took a deep breath and turned the knob to the bedroom door, slowly opening it. Upon entering her room she saw Harry sitting on the bed, his shoulders slumped and his head down. Giving a small sigh she softly closed the door behind her and made her way over to where the dark haired boy was sitting. When she reached him she stared at him sadly for a moment before running her fingers lightly through his soft hair.

"I didn't want to hurt her," he whispered, "I didn't mean to..."

Hermione bit her lip and gave a soft smile "I know. But trust me Harry, she'll be fine... just- just give her time, okay?"

He nodded and then looked up at her with haunted eyes. "I can't help the way I feel..."

"Trust me," she gave a cynical smile, "if anyone understands that, it's me."

They regarded at one another silently for a moment before Hermione moved Harry's arms and gingerly took a seat on his lap. His arms immediately came back up, and encircled her waist as he held her in a gentle hug. When he rested his head lightly on her shoulder she ran her fingers though his hair in a slow hypnotic motion and they each became lost in their own thoughts.

"What are we going to do?" he inquired softly after a few minutes.

"What we have to do," she replied, shrugging lightly.

Harry stiffened; pulling back he gave her an apprehensive look. "And what is that?"

Hermione frowned, "Keep our relationship a secret of course, at least for a while... why? What did you think I was going to say?" she asked when she felt his shoulders relax.

He ran a hand through his hair before giving her a sheepish look, "I dunno... I thought maybe you'd say- well, that we shouldn't be together."

"What?" she asked with a surprised look "Are completely you out of your tree? Why would I say something stupid like that?"

Harry shrugged and winced, "Well... I don't know I just figured- you know, since Ginny came to you and all, you would..." he trailed off unsure of how to finish.

Hermione shook her head, "Look I care about Ginny- I really do. But... well, what I feel for you- it's so much- it's so..." she stumbled over the words wondering where her N.E.W.T. level vocabulary had disappeared to. "Harry, I love you. I meant it when I said that- and though I do care about Ginny, she's one of my best mates and my very best girlfriend… I just can't hold back what I feel for you anymore. I mean I tried to at first, but that was mainly for Ron's sake." Harry nodded. "And as much as I care about Ginny... I-I couldn't give you up for her anymore than she could for me." She gave a frustrated groan. "Ugh! I sound like a bloody prat don't I?"

Harry frowned, "Kind of, yeah," he commented, before winking and chuckling. "I'm just kidding," he added when she glared at him. "I know exactly what you mean because I feel the same way."

She gave a small smile in response, leaning back against him, "What a pair we make."

"One hell of a pair if you ask me. I just wonder what took us so bleedin' long?" Harry responded in a light voice.

Hermione giggled in response before leaning down and giving him a light peck, "I don't know but whatever it was, I'm glad we didn't let it stop us from getting here..." she gave an impish smile, "even if it did take us a while."

Harry laughed in response before placing his hand and the base of her neck and pulling her down for a much longer kiss.

**********************

Harry sniggered at the look on Ron's face when Hermione took a seat next to them in Transfiguration the next day. And his enjoyment became even more pronounced when Hermione offered him an easy grin and Ron turned to search the room for who the brunette was smiling at. After seeing no one behind him and only Lavender Brown on the other side of him, Ron gave Harry a questioning look. The dark-haired boy responded with a smile and a nod to the unasked question and Ron looked at Hermione once more, this time grinning.

Harry knew how Ron felt, since he had felt a similar way last night when he had returned to their dorm.

---------------

He had entered the dorm at around ten and was doing his best to sneak quietly to his bed when Ron called out to him.

"Hey mate," the redhead said lightly.

Harry looked over to see the other boy sitting on his bed… reading?

"Yeah, Luna recommended it," Ron commented noticing his friends' confused look. Lifting his hands slightly Harry saw that he was reading an issue of The Quibbler, he also noticed with great amusement, that his red-haired mate was reading it upside down.

"She says it's better that way," Ron mumbled, flushing.

Harry chuckled, "Whatever you say mate."

After he made his way over to his bed and had turned down his sheets Ron spoke again.

"I heard about you and my sister."

Harry tensed, freezing in place he waited anxiously to see what else he would say. "Yeah?" he answered after a minute when Ron still didn't comment.

"Are you sure you don't love her?" He asked, looking up Harry stared him in the eyes and slowly nodded his head yes. Ron sighed, "You knew then didn't you?"

"When?" Harry questioned frowning.

"That day- you know… the day I broke up with Hermione." Ron answered.

Harry hesitated and then nodded.

Ron shook his head lightly, "I thought so, when I asked you if you knew what I meant when I said things didn't feel the same between Hermione and I… well, something in the way you answered made me think that you knew a lot better than you let on."

Harry flushed and rubbed the back of his neck "Yeah…"

"Well, as Hermione would say. No use crying over spilled socks," he continued with a shrug.

Harry arched a brow, "Uh… I think you mean `no use crying over spilt potion', Ron."

The redhead regarded him thoughtfully "Hmm… I suppose that does make a bit more sense." He stated with a small nod, "Good show mate, I'll remember that."

The dark-haired boy laughed, "See that you do," he said as he climbed into bed.

"You know," Ron started, continuing when Harry looked at him. "Ginny wants me to tell you that it's a mistake to break things off with her. I should be letting you know that my little sister is the best thing that's ever happened to you and that you should stop being a git and work things out already. I'm supposed to tell you that's how I feel about the whole breakup and I wish you'll at least listen to what I'm saying and try to work things out."

Harry frowned, "And is that how you feel?"

His mate snorted, "Not bloody likely," Harry released the breath he had been holding. "I'm just glad I don't have to watch my best mate snog my baby sister anymore." Ron said, putting away the magazine and shutting off the lamp by his bed.

"Then why say it?" Harry asked adjusting in his bed and pulling the covers up.

Ron rolled his eyes, "Weren't you listening mate?" he asked in an annoyed tone. "I was supposed to. Now when Ginny asks if I talked to you about everything tomorrow, I can honestly say I did."

Harry snorted, "Why didn't you just lie and say you did?"

Hearing no comment from his mate Harry shook his head and closed his eyes, burrowing deeper beneath his covers. However, just as he was about to fall asleep he heard Ron's response.

"Luna doesn't like it when I lie," the other boy mumbled; Harry smiled.

----------------------

"Hello? Harry? You in there?" Hermione asked from her spot just next to him.

Coming abruptly back to the present Harry looked at his two best mates worried expressions and flushed, "Sorry, just doing a bit of wool gathering there."

Ron and Hermione shared a look but chose not to comment. As they once again faced forward Professor McGonagall started class.

----------------------

"Wow," Ron said a couple of hours later as he walked slowly around Hermione's sitting room fiddling with various knickknacks. "Been a while since I've been up here."

"Well as you can see not much has changed," Hermione commented, gingerly removing a small figurine that the other boy had been tossing back and forth in his hands.

"Sorry," he offered with a sheepish smile.

She gave him a genuine one back, "That's ok… it's just good to- well, you know, to see you again."

"It's good to see you again too," Ron replied, before coming forward and pulling the brunette into a warm hug.

The jealousy was a complete surprise to Harry, all they were doing was hugging and it was a totally innocent one at that. What the hell was wrong with him? Frowning, Harry ran an agitated hand though his hair and looked away briefly, when he turned back Hermione was giving him a concerned look.

"So what changed your mind about everything?" Ron asked, as oblivious as always to the sudden tension in the room.

Hermione shrugged and smiled, "I just needed some time alone to think things over." She responded, as she walked across the room. "Oh and Harry and I had a little talk too," finished approaching the dark-haired boy and taking his hand. She gave it a squeeze and rubbed it lightly with her thumb.

Harry smiled `Of course she would notice,' he thought. When she arched a brow at him, he fought the urge, telling himself that he would not pull her into his arms. `Well, at least until Ron leaves that is,' he thought.

"Good I'm glad you and Harry were able to talk," Ron commented giving Harry an overly obvious wink.

Hermione shook her head, "I saw that Ronald," she stated dryly.

The red-haired boy grinned, "Blimey Hermione, do you realize how much I even missed that haughty, know-it-all tone of yours?"

She laughed, "No, but I'll take that as a complement."

He looked back at her in surprise, "Wow, no snooty comeback? Whatever you did mate, you must have done the hell out of it," Ron stated giving Harry and impressed look.

Hermione's mouth dropped, "How dare you, you, you… infantile, uncouth, odious-"

Harry placed a hand on Hermione's shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

"Don't let him get to you, he's just kidding," he said softly, rubbing her arm.

The brunette visibly relaxed and even offered Harry a smile, "Thanks, I just forgot how he could get sometimes."

Harry smiled back.

"Brilliant!" Ron exclaimed, reminding Harry and Hermione that he was still in the room. "I've never seen you calm down that quickly," he shook his head and stared at Harry in wonder. "I was never able to do that myself, usually she stayed hacked off for hours. Perhaps you should be the one dating her, huh?" He finished with a chuckle as he picked up the photo of himself off of the mantel, failing to notice the color drain from the faces of his two best mates. "Hey can I have this? I can't take a decent bloody picture to save my arse. In fact, I'm pretty sure that this is the only one in existence and-" he paused as he looked up. "Are you two ok?"

"Of course," the replied in unison, before looking at one another and blushing.

"Riiiiiight," Ron commented, rolling his eyes. "So can I have the picture or not?"

Harry smirked, "Having a mirror just not enough, eh there mate?"

The other boy glowered, "It's not for me you prat, it's for Luna. The only photo I had that I was able to give her was from Christmas last year."

Harry grinned, "The one of you in your `R' sweater, stuffing your face with popcorn?"

Ron gave a grim look and nodded, "The one and only… so can I have it?" he gave Hermione a pleading look.

The brunette tried to fight it, but her mouth quirked into a grin anyway. "Of course you can have it…"

"Gee thanks Hermione you're the be-"

"But," she cut him off, holding up a hand, "You have to give me the one of you in your `R' sweater," she finished with a smirk.

"You're pulling my broom right?" when she slowly shook her head `no' he groaned. "Awww, come on Hermione! I was planning on burning that thing as soon as I got a hold of it again," he whined falling back onto the couch.

She gave a shrug and walked towards the other boy, "Suit yourself, but if I don't get that picture- then you don't get this one," she plucked the silver frame out of his grasp and gave a sickeningly sweet smile.

"What's the big bleedin' deal anyway?" Ron complained glowing at her, "What makes it so important?" he added, voicing the question that was on Harry's mind.

She responded with another shrug before falling back onto the chair. "It's not, really."

"Not what?"

"Important."

"Then why do you want it?" Harry asked before Ron could.

Hermione gave him a mischievous smile. "Well that's easy," they watched her expectantly. "Because he doesn't want me to have it."

Harry let out a bark of laughter while Ron groaned.

"Evil, just bloody evil," the redhead mumbled, falling backwards on the couch.

Hermione rolled her eyes, "Fine, take it you drama queen." She tossed him the photo. "Now hurry up and give it to Luna before I change my mind and make you trade."

Ron looked at her in shock.

"I said go, or I'll change my mind," when he continued to look at her as though she were mental she lead forward and glowered at him. "I meant now Ronald."

Recognizing that tone, Ron quickly hopped up off the couch and rushed towards the door.

"Thanks Hermione you're the best! Talk to you later Harry!" he bellowed as he ran down the stairs and out of the portrait door.

Harry shook his head and gave his girlfriend a confused look, "You weren't really going to demand that picture were you?"

"Nah," she replied getting up from the chair.

Harry frowned, "Then what was with the big rush? You know, the whole `I meant now Ronald' thing?"

Hermione rolled her eyes, "I swear boys can be so dense at times."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means I, as you put it, "rushed him" because I wanted him to leave."

Harry's look went back to confused, "But why? I thought you wanted a chance to talk to Ron after all this time."

"I did," she sighed and shook her head. "But I wanted the opportunity to kiss you more."

Harry's eyes widened in understanding before a handsome grin settled on his face. "Well then, what are you waiting for?"

"Funny," Hermione responded, tilting her head. "I was about to ask you the same thing."

Not needing to be told…er, three times, Harry chuckled and then came forward capturing his girlfriends' mouth in a heated kiss.

A.N. That's it for this chapter, see you next time! Please review and Ja ne!!!

-->