Unofficial Portkey Archive

Forbidden Love by usako99
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Forbidden Love

usako99

Forbidden Love
Chapter 8

Once they reached the platform by Hogwarts, all of the students quickly and loudly hurried out of the compartments. There was a barrage of laughing, talking, and playful screaming as the second through seventh years made their way over to the carriages. Harry gave an amused glance to the first years, whose mouths were hanging wide open, their heads tilted back and their faces covered with a looks of complete awe as they gazed up at the humongous grounds keeper.

"Hey, Hagrid!" Harry called out, giving his friend a cheery wave.

"Hiya, 'Arry!" the big, burly man called back "jus' gotta git these first years cross tha' lake in time for th' ceremony. Are you guys gonna stop by tomorrow?"

"Yeah, definitely," Harry responded, ignoring the fact that now he was being looked at with the same awestruck expression that Hagrid had received earlier. "We have a free day before classes, so we'll probably be down shortly after breakfast."

He then gave a quick glance to Ron and Hermione who both nodded in agreement.

"Okay, well I'll see yer, then!" Hagrid called back, then with one last happy wave to the trio, he turned and began the trek towards the lake.

Ron and Harry laughed as the little first years scurried behind Hagrid, stumbling a bit and having difficulty keeping up with his large steps and quick pace.

"You know, you two probably looked similar your first year," Hermione said, frowning at them.

"Yeah, and someone probably laughed at us, too," Ron responded with a cheeky grin.

Hermione glared at him, her lips pursed in a deep frown.

"Hey, guys! There you are!"

The trio turned to see Ginny, Luna, and Neville approaching. Ginny gave a small wave, a broad smile on her face as she neared.

"Hey, Harry," she commented, giving him a shy smile.

"Hey," he replied softly.

Ginny flushed and looked down, giving a few quick glances at his hand and then hers, she looked back into his eyes. Harry gave her an amused look.

"Did you want me to hold your hand?" He asked, teasing. He saw the beginnings of a frown and she looked as though she were attempting not to roll her eyes.

"Only if you want to, Harry. I wouldn't try to make you, after all I'm not pushy or anything," at this statement Ron snorted. "Shut up," Ginny mumbled giving her brother a glare.

"Come on, Gin. What are you playing at?... You just walked up and snogged him a over and hour ago, now you're acting like you're too shy to hold his hand," he said, voicing Harry's thoughts and rolling his eyes. "Oh, and if you're not pushy... then I'm a natural blond."

Harry, who had begun to laugh, quickly covered it up with coughing when Ginny turned to glare at him. Sneaking a glance at Hermione, he saw that she appeared to be ignoring them, choosing to look around the platform instead. However, upon closer inspection he could see that she seemed to be trying to suppress a smile, and his suspicions were confirmed when he caught her eyes and they danced with amusement.

"I'm not trying to act shy you git," Ginny said between gritted teeth "I'm just trying to be more considerate of Harry's feelings."

Ron made a face "Since when do you care about people's feelings?"

"Look you tosser, I have alw-"

"You guys, as interesting as this is, it's time to go. There's only one carriage left and I believe it's for us. It's my first day back, and as Head Girl and I will not be late because you two can't put your childish arguing behind you." Hermione interrupted with a glare before turning and walking brusquely to the awaiting carriage.

Harry grinned and gave Ginny and Ron a shrug before following his brown-haired mate. He reached the carriage right behind her and put a hand on her back as she lifted herself in, to steady her. Hermione turned and gave him a startled look, her eyes flashing with something momentarily before she turned and preceded the rest of the way into the carriage. Climbing in after her, he hesitated for a moment before fighting his instincts and sitting across from her instead of beside her.

A moment later they were joined by Ginny, who took a seat next to him, Ron, who took one next to Hermione and Luna and Neville, who took seats opposite one another. The Weasley siblings continued to bicker for the ride up to the castle. Every once in a while, Harry would catch Hermione's eyes and they would share an amused smile. Feeling content he looked around the small space happy to be around his friends again and finally going home.

While she was arguing with her brother, Ginny finally ended up taking his hand and she slowly caressed the back of it with her thumb while engaging Ron in oral fisticuffs. Harry glanced at his girlfriend before looking down at their intertwined fingers and frowning; for some reason, it just didn't feel as right as it used to. Brushing it off as fatigue, he turned and looking over at the passing scenery. As the minutes passed, he relaxed and slouched a bit in his seat. A moment later, when the carriage hit a bump, Harry was jolted slightly and his leg brushed against Hermione's, his eyes immediately went to hers as he felt a tingle flow through him from the contact. She seemed to have felt it too, because she was giving him a strange look, her head tilted slightly to the right and a few strands of hair falling into her face. Biting her lip she moved her leg and once again brushed him. Harry was surprised to once again feel the connection. Hermione continued to look at him, curiosity evident in her gaze; getting a bit uncomfortable being stared at like a new transfiguration spell he adjusted his position some, unwittingly touching her again. They continued to stare at one another unnoticed by their companions, two of whom were still fighting, one who was watching them fight and the last who was flipping through a magazine.

Hermione slowly reached out her hand and without breaking eye contact with him, brushed her fingertips over Harry's knee. This time he bit his lip as something dangerously close to desire flowed through him, giving Hermione a smoldering look he silently dared her to do it again. She continued to stare into is eyes unmoving, but after a moment she once again tilted her head and her small hand inched forward once more. Harry watched its progress as it traveled from her lap past her thigh, she leant forward a bit as her hand hovered over his knee. Making eye contact with him she quirked a brow and slowly began to lower her hand, he felt the heat from her palm... she was just about to touch him again, Harry felt his body tense. Then... they stopped. He looked to his left and realized that they had finally reached the school.

"Hey, Hermione, you ready to go?" Ron asked, turning to look at her for the first time since they had gotten in.

Hermione had already snatched her hand back when she felt the carriage stop; she gave Harry an almost imperceptible look before smiling at Ron and nodding yes.

When everyone clamored out of the vehicle, they quickly joined the large crowd being herded into the Great Hall. Harry took a seat at the Gryffindor tables across from Ginny, Hermione sat him beside and Ron sat beside her. They began to talk amongst themselves as they waited for the first years to make it up from the lake.

"So, what did everyone do this summer?" Neville asked from his seat next to Ginny "Gran and I went to Euro Disney. It's a Muggle theme park. They had all of these great rides and games and these weird Muggles dressed up as animals walking around everywhere trying to take pictures with you. Gran had heard from a friend that it was supposed to be this great place to go, and while it was fun it was also a bit weird, I mean, for some reason that had this strange fascination with mice. Even the ice cream and pancakes were shaped like a mouse head."

"Really?" Ron and Ginny asked in unison making disgusted faces, while Harry and Hermione shared a look and rolled their eyes.

"Really," Neville scratched the side of his head "it was the weirdest thing, the kids were even clamoring to take pictures with it."

"With what?" Ginny asked, reaching out a hand to smooth Neville's disheveled hair.

"W-w-w...well," he stuttered a bit, suddenly flustered "well, they were trying to take pictures with the mouse."

"They were clamoring, to take pictures with a mouse?" Ron asked with a disbelieving look.

"It's not a mouse Ronald it's a man dressed as a mouse, and to be more specific it's a man dressed as Mickey Mouse," Hermione rolled her eyes at their blank looks. "He's a beloved Muggle cartoon character. He's been around since the nineteen-thirties, and the whole park Disney Land is mainly based off of him along with several other characters."

At their continued blank stares, she gave a sigh and turned to Harry with a look that said `I give up', he chuckled. Just then, the doors flew open to the hall and everyone redirected their attention to the large group of first years who were currently, timidly, making their way to the front. Harry watched as Professor McGonagall retrieved the stool and the old floppy brimmed hat from by the teachers table, placing it on the stool at the front of the hall as it began to sing. They sat entranced for the next ten minutes as the hat relayed the tale of the founders of Hogwarts in a new and exciting way. Everyone clapped as it hit the last note, and quieted down when McGonagall held up a hand for silence. Reaching into her robe, she pulled out a rolled parchment, scanning it quickly with her eyes she called out her first name.

"Henrietta Ashford."

A small, scared-looking girl inched her way through the crowed of first years and sat nervously upon the stool. The hat had barely touched her head when it shouted out.

"Hufflepuff!!"

The Hufflepuff table erupted in cheers, and the sorting began. After about the fourth person was sorted Harry found that he was growing more than a little bored... and hungry.

"So, let me get this straight, Muggles have their kids worshiping a mouse," he heard Ron whisper loudly.

He turned just in time to see Hermione roll her eyes "No, Ronald they do not worship the mouse, the mouse is just a symbol for the company and the cartoons... you know, for family."

Ron made a face, "And they get all of that from a mouse..."

"Just watch the sorting, Ron," Hermione hissed, glaring at him.

Harry was surprised when she quickly turned; one minute he had been looking at her profile and the next her startled brown eyes connected with his. Her mouth formed a small 'o' as she looked at him and Harry felt his eyes dip down to her lips. Looking back into her eyes, he noticed that she was no longer looking into his, but, instead, seemed to looking at his lips; he licked them and her eyes shot back to his. She had opened her mouth to speak when the table erupted in applause. Harry jumped a bit and turned quickly to see a small dark haired boy make his way to the Gryffindor table. He joined in the clapping and casting a quick glance at Hermione, he noticed that she had also turned her attention to the newcomer.

Harry's attention remained on the front of the hall for the remainder of the sorting, by the time they were done there were eight new Hufflepuffs, nine new Ravenclaws, eight new Gryffindors, and six new Slytherins. The hall immediately quieted down as Dumbledore stood from his seat, his long withered hands held up to silence the hall.

"Welcome to Hogwarts; for some it is yet another year in our hallowed halls, for others it is your first time," he said in a soft, but powerful voice "as many of you are aware a lot happened at the end of last year. There was a bit of an..." his eyes scanned the tables, resting on Harry for a moment before he continued "disturbance, however that was duly taken care of and it will please you as well as your parents to know that the proper provisions have been taken to heighten the defensive spells in, and around Hogwarts. To allow you to get used to the new restrictions, I have already alerted the teachers and your house staff that I have decided to give you all one extra day to adjust and learn your way around, so there will be no class tomorrow," applause rippled through the hall and the headmaster smiled for a moment, before it faded into a more serious expression. " I realize that some of you may believe that just because all is quiet, that there is no longer a threat... I would advise you to not embark upon such a dangerous path of thought..." Harry was pulled away from Dumbledore's speech as warm breath tickled his ear.

"Don't forget to go to him after the feast Harry, he needs to know about your dream," Hermione whispered.

He turned his head, noticing her surprised expression when he abruptly made eye contact with her. "I know Hermione, give me a chance to eat first, will ya?"

She rolled her eyes "I am. I was just reminding you."

"As if I could forget..."

"I'm not saying that you would," she gave a small sigh "look, I'm just trying to help, this is very important Harry."

"I know that it's important- you think that I would forget that it's important?..."

"I'm not saying that I... I'm just..." she sighed again "sorry, I wasn't trying to make you go all defensive on me."

"I'm not being defensive, you're being presumptuous."

"I- what- how...excuse me, Mr. Potter. I wasn't aware that you had everything under control and were without need of my aid." she replied in a huffy tone.

Harry rolled his eyes, "Now you're being dramatic."

"I'm not being dramatic, you're being rude, pig-headed and... and stop rolling your eyes at me."

He rolled his eyes again, "Ow, don't hit me, if you don't like me rolling my eyes at you then don't look at me."

"Well, I can't help but look at you, can I? You're sitting right in front of me."

"For now... you know, if you like looking at me so much you could always take a picture, then you could stare at me whenever you wanted." he smirked, scanning the hall. After a moment with no response he looked at her again, Hermione's face was flushed and her gaze was no longer on his face but she was once again staring at Dumbledore.

"Hermione wh-" he abruptly closed his mouth and looked back at the headmaster, his face flushing also as his mind processed just what was bothering his friend. 'Crap... why did I have to say the word picture?'

Harry did his best to push the thoughts of pictures, and Hermione holding pictures out of his mind, instead refocusing on what Dumbledore was saying at the front of the hall.

"... so remember, if you wish not to run the risk of a debilitating injury or an extremely painful and disfiguring death, I do suggest that you stay away from that area." he looked at Harry, his eyes were twinkling and Harry knew that the Headmaster was aware that he had just missed everything that he had said.

"Now, on to more pleasant things, first I would like everyone to give a hand to our new Head Boy and Head girl. Our Head Boy this year is Zacharias Smith from Hufflepuff," almost everyone clapped, but the Hufflepuff table erupted in cheers as Zach stood up. Slowly giving a nervous smile, he waved weakly to everyone before sitting back down amongst his friends.

"Next, I will introduce the Head Girl, although to be honest I believe that there needs to be no introduction for this young lady," he gave Hermione a kind smile "Ms. Hermione Granger from Gryffindor!" Harry gave a huge grin as he noticed that Dumbledore seemed to put a bit more emphasis in Hermione's introduction then Zach's.

Once again, everyone with the exception of the Slytherin table clapped, though Gryffindor burst into loud and boisterous cheers. Hermione stood up, looking slightly less flushed than Zach had a moment earlier, she gave a small uncomfortable looking smile and grimaced when Ron and Ginny let out ear piercing whistles. Harry laughed heartily as she reached over and smacked her boyfriend on the arm, giving him a glare as she resumed her seat.

"I would also like to let everyone know that Quidditch tryouts will be held in two weeks in the Quidditch pitch. Tryout schedules for each house will be given to the team captains and posted on the bulletin boards in the common rooms. If you are unaware of who they are, though I highly doubt that is the case for anyone past their first year," everyone laughed "our Quidditch captains are; for Hufflepuff, Alexander Summerby; for Ravenclaw, Michael Davis; for Slytherin, Eliza Razor and, for Gryffindor, Harry Potter. Could our captains please stand so that me may have a good look at you?"

As the room once again erupted into boisterous applause, Harry reluctantly stood from the table along with the other captains. Blushing a bit when most of the eyes in the room fixated on him. Pulling at his tie, he decided looking at the ceiling was the best course of action.

"You may be seated," Dumbledore said after a really long and uncomfortable minute, and Harry could swear that he heard a tinge of amusement in the Headmasters' voice. "Now on to another important matter, the D.A. will be organizing again this year; enrollment into this organization will be handled by Head Girl Hermione Granger and Gryffindor Quidditch Captain Harry Potter; who will also be your instructor. Hermione, Harry, could you please stand again?" Harry and Hermione shared a look and then reluctantly stood from their seats, the Gryffindor table once again burst into applause followed by Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw.

"For those of you who are interested in joining the D.A., you will have to be at least in your third year," a chorus of groans rippled through the hall from the younger students "you will also have to receive approval from Mr. Potter and Ms. Granger before you will be admitted into the organization. Once you are approved the location of meetings and times will be disclosed... for those of you who do not wish to join, or are unable to meet the requirements. Do not fret, there are plenty of activities available to you at the school. Why, as we speak I believe that our esteemed Mr. Filch is currently in the process of organizing a group of students to assist with portrait clean up -a very essential and honored duty." Dumbledore said with a smile, his eyes twinkling in the candle light as the students groaned even louder.

"And, of course last, but, not least, I would like to present to all of you, your new Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor, Professor Prophyria Cypher," A tall, raven-haired beauty stood gracefully from the table. Her long black hair trailed down her back and curved at her waist, her full red lips stood out against her slightly golden skin. While strange red eyes peaked from beneath long dark lashes and scanned the crowded hall. She did not speak, nor did she smile, instead she gave a slight dip of the head in acknowledgment of the introduction before resuming her seat.

"Now that that is taken care of," Dumbledore said with a smile "let's eat."

With a clap of his hands, the tables were covered with delicious food as far as the eye could see, faces lighting with delight the students immediately tucked in.

"So, let me get this straight..." Ron asked halfway through the meal his mouth full of potatoes. "-to Muggles, a mouse means family?"

Harry snorted into his casserole at the arrested look that appeared on Hermione's face. As she once again launched into a lecture about, not only Mickey Mouse, but also the importance of not speaking with your mouth full, Harry felt contentment flow through him... he was home.

A.N. Well, that's it for chapter 8, I realize that I didn't do Hermione's POV, but I have decided to go more with a flow instead of a pattern. Please stay tuned for the next chapter... after all, Harry and Hermione still have to have a bit of a chat... Oh and PLEASE REVIEW! *pouts* It really is my only form of payment…

-->