Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Late Night Visit by Trojan#12
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Late Night Visit

Trojan#12

Disclaimer: JKR owns.

A Late Night Visit

Chapter 10: A Christmas Morning for the Ages

---

[AN]: Sorry for the long wait!

---

Harry and Hermione made it back into the main house without incident. When they walked in, they were met with a grander scene than before. It seemed that Elisabeth had gone to extremes to make Harry seem 'at home'; there were bagels, English muffins, fresh fruit, tea, coffee, orange juice, and milk sitting out on the table, while the sausage sat sizzling in a pan on the stove.

Harry tried to convince Hermione's mum that she had done more than enough, and was being extremely hospitable, but she really wasn't persuaded. She continued to ask Harry as they sat down to eat and as the meal went on if their was anything she could do or get for him. Hermione found the situation quite funny while Richard almost looked annoyed. It was a good thing that Harry kept on humbly thanking her and assuring her that everything was wonderful.

The conversation that took place, once Elisabeth had settled down on drilling Harry, was actually pretty fascinating to the young wizard. Despite his fears of being an intruder, the Grangers made Harry feel right at home. Even though he'd only formally met Mr. and Mrs. Granger not even fifteen minutes ago, their conversations and musings were very casual. He'd never really seen how a small family interacted with each other, and the aspect that made it so worth while to him was the fact that it was what he thought he and his parents would all be like, had their never been a Voldemort, of course. Truly, Harry had never felt so comfortable in his life, and that was largely due to Hermione. She made him feel like he had a place. A true meaning other than being the Boy-Who-Lived.

Under the table and as discretely as possible, Harry slid his hand over to Hermione's and gave it a squeeze. She looked up at him, her parents involved in their own discussion, and gave him a questioning look. Harry just shook his head lightly to let her know nothing was wrong, but continued to hold her hand.

"Are you still hungry Harry? You're welcome to have some more," Elisabeth said, noticing that Harry had put down his fork.

Harry smiled at her fussing, "Oh, no thanks Mrs. Granger, I'm full. Thank you though, it was great."

Elisabeth gave him a tender smile, "You're welcome Harry- and remember, it's Beth."

"Sorry."

"Well, what do you say we get to those lonely presents under the tree?" Richard asked, glancing around to everyone else's empty plates, "I have to say, I'm a little concerned. Usually, Hermione's up at the crack of dawn eagerly waiting to tear into them…"

Hermione wanted to smirk, but opted for sticking her tongue out at her dad. Little did he know, she was up at the crack of dawn and unwrapping a present her father probably wouldn't approve of. Harry picked up on her look and together they shared a little smile.

Together, the four of them got up from the table and took their dishes over to the sink. Hermione excused herself as they began to head into the living room, where the tree was, and scurried up the stairs in a hurry. Harry took the opportunity to also excuse himself, since he needed to grab Hermione's presents from his trunk.

He collected all of them except for one. The last one he wanted to save for later tonight, when he and Hermione had the chance to be alone. Leaving them shrunken in his pocket, Harry took back off to the house, excited to experience Christmas with his girlfriend's family.

When he arrived back into the living room, Elisabeth and Hermione were sitting on the sofa while Richard was kneeling next to the lightly decorated Christmas tree, handing out presents. Hermione smiled up at him as he approached, and scooted over towards her mum, patting the spot next to her for Harry to sit.

As he was sitting he pulled out Hermione's few wrapped gifts and set them on the ground. With a tap of his wand, the presents grew into their full size. Harry gave Hermione the larger one in particular, and shot her a coy grin. Obviously, she hadn't been expecting much, but since she was all Harry thought about for the past few days, he had managed to sneak away and get her a couple choice presents when the Weasley bunch had ventured out to Ottery St. Catchpole one day. Really, he just hoped she liked them.

Suddenly a thought hit him that made him want to shrink back into the couch. He hadn't thought to get Hermione's parents anything! What kind of impression was that going to make?

At his fidgeting, Hermione sent him a look out of the corner of her eye telling him to relax. He tried to do so as Richard got up and walked over to them on the couch. With his own present in hand, the older gentleman sat down next to his wife and stared expectantly around at his girls and Harry.

"Go ahead Dad," Hermione coaxed with a grin, "I want to see the look on your face…"

"Is it that good?" he asked, his fingers already ripping apart the wrapping on the small rectangular box.

Elisabeth and Hermione shared a look while Harry watched on in amusement, "It is."

Richard finished tearing it open, and lifted the lid off the box. His eyes practically popped out of his skull, "Bloody hell…"

"Rich!" Hermione's mother admonished while Harry and Hermione both laughed.

Hermione's dad continued staring at the sheet of tickets inside the small box, "Are these Chelsea season tickets?! The Blues?"

"Yep," Hermione returned, trying not to laugh at her father's excitement.

"How did you get these? You know what, I don't even care. They're amazing!"

"Harry, are you a fan of Chelsea football?" Elisabeth asked.

"Oh, um-"

"Football's really not that popular at school, and Harry wasn't allowed to get out much during summers," Hermione answered for him.

"I like the sport though," Harry added, not wanting to feel totally un-relatable with Richard.

"You and I will have to go kick the old ball around this afternoon," Richard said, sounding completely thrilled at the prospect that for once he'd have a male companion to show the sport to. None of the other dentists he knew really cared for football.

Harry automatically nodded, "Oh sure."

"Hermione, why don't you open one next," Elisabeth offered her, holding out a wrapped parcel. Of course, the rectangular mystery was a book, but Hermione tore it open with as much vigor as she would anything else. She gave her parents an excited grin after reading the title of some muggle book.

As the morning went on, the Grangers and Harry shared stories of Hermione and past holidays, laughed, and had an overall good time. Hermione gave Harry a book on careers that fit your interest, some omnocular slides of past quidditch games, and a new blazer. So far, Harry had given her a first edition Magical Theory book, written by Rowena Ravenclaw, a photo album compiled of old and new picture of the trio and all of their friends from school, and a small magical bookcase. Richard cracked a joke that Hermione might be able to fit five of her large tomes in the woodwork, but then Harry explained that it was like a never-ending bottom, and could store as many books as Hermione liked. At that, Richard and Hermione, were both pretty speechless.

Hermione had just opened Harry's latest present, which looked to be a special wrist watch. She gave him a curious look, probing Harry to explain.

"It's so you don't have to constantly worry about me. See, you press this button for the time and this button for my whereabouts," Hermione's eyes widened in surprise as he pressed the particular button. The screen of the watch instantly changed; there was only one hand, and several little phrases such as 'at home', 'flying', 'asleep', 'in class', and 'lost'.

"Oh, what a wonderful gift Harry," Elisabeth commented, peering over her daughter's shoulder at the silver watch.

"It's a very neat idea," Richard agreed.

Harry was about to tell Rich and Beth that the idea came from the Weasley clock before Hermione sent him a look, "Thank you Harry. I love it."

Harry smiled, "You're welcome." 'And I hope you wear it for the rest of your life,' he added mentally.

Hermione's parents shared a gift and gave Hermione a few more for her. As the presents started to clear from under the tree, Harry noticed Elisabeth tap Hermione's shoulder and whisper something in her ear.

"Oh, I almost forgot! Hold on a sec, Harry," Hermione muttered, hurriedly jumping up from the couch and sprinting up the stairs. How silly of Hermione to forget the huge present she had picked up for Harry at the beginning of winter break. She had been waiting to give it to him ever since she laid eyes on the thing…

Harry smiled at her energy and watched as she ran off into the house. As he turned back, Elisabeth sent him a smile, "I think you'll like it, Harry."

"I'm sure I will," Harry replied, though quite anxious.

Only a few moments passed before Hermione's footfalls could be heard coming back down the stairs, "Alright Harry," she called out from the hallway, "close your eyes!"

Harry grinned, but did as he was told. He sensed Hermione walk into the room and heard her set something down on the coffee table in front of him.

"Hoot hoot."

Harry's eyes snapped open at the animalistic sound. His mouth practically fell open, "Oh Hermione, no way!" Sitting in a cage in front of him was a jet black owl with big bright amber eyes. The owl was staring fiercely at Harry, "Is she mine?"

Hermione smirked, "It's a he, and yes, he's yours. I figured you would be needing one."

Harry scooted forward so that he was sitting on the edge of the couch, and reached forward so to graze the brass cage with his fingertips, "I've never seen an owl like him before. What's his name?"

"His name's Harlo. I got him at Eeylops Owl Emporium. I was taking Crookshanks in for his check up and Harlo was staring me down the entire time. After getting a good look at him, I knew he'd be a perfect fit for you."

"I think you're right," Harry easily agreed, "Thank you so much." He began to lean in for a kiss, but Hermione quickly turned her head and instead reached for her mug of tea on the coffee table. Harry awkwardly leaned back and passed a hand through his hair, trying to act innocent. Elisabeth and Richard shared a look and Harry cleared his throat, not wanting to meet the older couple's eyes for the life of him.

"Well, thank you for the great gifts Mum and Dad. I think I'll take them up to my room now. Harry you should probably go set Harlo up in the guest house," Hermione suggested in a suave tone. Harry marveled at her calm persona, but didn't let it show.

"Um yeah," he started, "I'll go right now." As quickly as possible, Harry gathered up the lot of his presents with Hermione. They both left at the same time, avoiding making eye contact.

Richard and Elisabeth remained in the living room, left to only gape at each other.

About fifteen minutes had passed from their near kiss, and Hermione was now on her way out to see how Harry was getting situated in the guest house. She was just walking into the hall, about to reach the porch slider when Elisabeth appeared out of nowhere.

"Hey love. You going out to see Harry?" she asked curiously.

Hermione gave her mum a skeptical look, "Um yeah, I was going to give him the owl food for Harlo." She held up the bag of bird seed as proof.

"Oh okay," she said, nodding her head. There was a brief pause where Elisabeth continued to stare at her daughter. But, unfortunately for Hermione, Beth found her voice again, "Was it just me, or did Harry try to kiss you earlier?"

Hermione instantly blushed, "No, I think he was going to give me a hug before I reached for my tea."

Elisabeth raised a disbelieving eyebrow, "Oh…"

Hermione nodded, clearly uncomfortable, "Yeah, so…" Again, she held up the bird food, hoping her mum would get the picture to leave.

"Hermione?" Elisabeth continued in a calm tone, "For the sake of your father's sanity, I think it'd be best if you keep the door open when you and Harry are in a room together."

Hermione scoffed, "Mum, we're not children-"

"I know, and I think that's what your father's having such a hard time with," Elisabeth returned.

"It's not like anything's going on…" Hermione spoke in a way that was trying to sound convincing. However, lying had never been one of her strong suits, especially not lying to her mother. Her convincing reply actually came off quite mumbled and pathetic.

Elisabeth raised her eyebrow again, "Hermione Jane, rules are rules."

"Fine," Hermione sighed, "Now can I go?"

"Yes."

With a relieved breath, Hermione maneuvered around her mother and took off through the slider door and out onto the back porch. After making her way through the garden leading up to the guest house, she knocked quickly on the door.

"Come in!" Harry called from inside.

She opened the door to see Harry standing next to Harlo's cage, stroking him. Harry smiled when he caught sight of Hermione.

"Hey."

"Bonding?" Hermione grinned, coming into the room.

Harry smiled back, "He's great. I still can't believe you got him for me."

"I'm glad you love him. I wasn't sure if you'd be happy or sad because of how special Hedwig was…"

Harry sighed, remembering his first companion, "No, Hedwig will always be important to me, but it was time I got another. Thanks for picking him out."

"You're welcome," Hermione replied with a tender smile.

Harry nodded to the bag in her hand, "Is that for me?"

"Oh these? Yeah, I though you might like them. They're rodent flavored," she said with smirk, tossing the bag of owl treats over to him.

Harry easily caught them and then made a pained face, "That hurts me. You know I like the rabbit flavored treats the best."

Hermione put on a downcast expression, "Oh no, I forgot. This must be really traumatic for you."

"It is," Harry nodded, slowly walking forward, "But fortunately I know a way for you to make me feel better." When Harry finally reached her, he started pulled her forward by her belt.

Biting her lip, Hermione reached down and stopped his hand, "Can it wait until tonight?"

Harry shook his head and reached around her to pull the door closed, "No, not really."

Hermione sent him another apologetic look before turning from him and pushing the door back open, "Unfortunately, it'll sort of have to."

"Something wrong?" Harry asked, giving her a concerned look.

"If you call my parents probably spying on us this very instant wrong, then sure."

Harry visibly deflated, "Uh oh…"

Hermione nodded sadly, "My mum cornered me when I was coming out here and made me agree that we would keep the door open whenever we're in a room together."

"You've got to be joking," Harry mumbled, slapping a hand to his forehead.

Hermione shook her head, "Sadly, no."

"But how are we- how are we not…" Harry didn't have to finish his sentence for Hermione to understand his meaning. Oh, she understood alright. How where they not supposed to jump each other whenever they had the opportunity to? It was a question that she was currently contemplating. The task would definitely be hard for her, as well.

Despite her own worries, she rolled her eyes and gave Harry a teasing smile, "You're such a boy."

He raised an eyebrow and cocked his head to the side, "Were you expecting differently?"

Hermione laughed, "You have your invisibility cloak, remember? Just sneak into my room tonight once my parents have gone to bed."

"But tonight's so far away," Harry complained in a groan.

"Good things happen to those who wait," Hermione said, gently smoothing over his ruffled t-shirt.

Harry narrowed his eyes, "How good of things?"

Hermione sent him a look, "I hear amazingly good things."

"That is pretty good," Harry nodded.

Hermione smiled at him, but still waited to hear his official answer.

Letting out another groan, Harry relented, "Alright, tonight. But let's try and tire them out this afternoon so they'll go to bed early."

Hermione grinned, "Good boy-" she caught herself just in time as she leaned up with an intention to kiss him.

Harry smirked at her, "Yeah, if you don't snog me right in front of them first. You better get a hold of yourself there sweetheart."

Hermione frowned at him, "Are you saying I've got no self-control, Potter?"

Harry shrugged innocently, "I'm saying you've got very little around me- especially after last night." He sent her a wink as he finished.

Hermione scoffed, "Please, I've got way more control than you do."

"Oh really?" Harry mocked her, "You could have fooled me."

She glared at him furiously, "Who was the one who just complained about tonight being so far away?"

Again, Harry shrugged like it was no big deal, "It is, but I can still handle myself. You look like you're about to pounce."

"I do not!"

"Sure," Harry whispered.

Hermione narrowed her eyes at the boy she loved, "You are such an egotistical prat…"

In a hurt gesture, Harry placed a hand over his chest, "Stop undressing me with your eyes, then!"

"Ugh!" Hermione finally shouted at him. She obviously wasn't winning this battle. Before their little dispute could escalate into daring, Hermione settled for swatting Harry on the shoulder and dragging him deeper into the room to feed Harlo.

Though, if both were being honest, then they'd admit that it'd be a team effort not to let anything slip in front of the Grangers. Both Harry and Hermione were… easily distracted…

---

Please leave a review on your way out!