Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Late Night Visit by Trojan#12
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Late Night Visit

Trojan#12

Disclaimer: JKR owns.

A Late Night Visit

Chapter 14: Kitchen Talk

---

Despite the cold weather, the sun shone merrily down in the empty park from the cloud scattered sky. A smile appeared at the corner of Hermione's mouth as she leaned against Harry on the ground, admiring the way the sunshine sparkled off the silver locket around her neck.

"You know, I really love this. Where'd you get it?" Hermione asked, turning back to Harry, who was already looking at her.

Harry smiled, "In my Gringotts vault. It was my mum's."

"Are you serious?" Hermione asked again, this time sitting up a little straighter.

Harry nodded, confused by her tone, "Yeah. Why?"

"Harry… I can't take this."

He frowned, "Why not?"

"It was your mother's. This belongs to you," she said gently, reaching behind her neck, preparing to unclasp it.

Harry stopped her, and pulled her hand back into his, "But I want you to have it. It's not just a normal necklace. It has significance that I think only you will appreciate."

"What?" Hermione asked, her curiosity peaked.

Harry grinned mischievously, and raised the locket closer to her ear, "The thumping- it's my heart beat."

"Really?" Hermione asked, again in shock.

He nodded, "Yeah. When I found it in my vault, there was a note on the inside. My dad gave it to my mum after I was born. He bewitched it so that my heart would beat in tune with it. I guess my mum was anxious that I'd drop dead at any second. The note said something about resting easy…"

Hermione's mouth had parted slightly in awe. She had spent all morning wondering what the mysterious sound was, but she thought she'd just been imagining things. To know that the sound was actually proof of Harry's mortality… well, that was just genius on his father's part.

Still marveling at it, Hermione moved to pry the locket open, Inside, was a picture of them taken by great lake a few weeks back. Hermione couldn't help but smile gently, watching as the picture Harry suddenly threw his arm around her and pulled her in close to kiss her cheek. Of course that hadn't really happened when Dennis offered to take the picture, but I guess their was no escaping true feelings when it came down to wizarding photographs.

"I replaced the picture," Harry spoke after a few moments. "The original's in the photo album Hagrid gave me. It was of me and my parents when I was a baby…"

"I love it Harry. It's beautiful."

Harry grinned before leaning forward to kiss her on the forehead. He leaned back against the tree trunk, "This is a nice park. You live in a pretty area."

"This is the first place I performed magic in," Hermione revealed with a little smirk.

"Yeah?"

She nodded, "I was six. My sitter took my here so that I would play with some kids my age. But naturally, all I wanted to do was read. There were a few rowdy kids on the jungle gym teasing me. I moved spots a few times, trying to get them to leave me alone so I could go on reading. But they just followed me, so I remember thinking really hard about them shutting up. And, they did. Completely lost their voices."

Harry laughed, "Impressive."

Hermione nodded proudly, "It was probably the third or fourth most glorious moment of my life."

"What were the firsts?" Harry asked in interest.

Hermione bit her lip as her cheeks tinged a faint shade of pink. It was a few seconds before she spoke, "Becoming friends with you and Ron, coming out of the war alive, and the night you told me you had feelings for me and not some other random girl."

Harry frowned slightly, even though a smile remained on his face. He pulled her closer, "You're not random."

"But still," Hermione continued with a little smile, "You could've picked someone prettier, or sportier. But you chose me."

"Best thing I've ever done," Harry replied easily.

Hermione grinned, "I don't disagree."

She didn't stop him as he leaned in and claimed her lips.

"I love being able to kiss you whenever I want," he muttered before pulling her back in.

Hermione kissed him back just as hungrily. Finally, the need for air made them break apart. She nodded, a bit dazed, "Yeah, I figured. People were starting to get a little disgusted at the restaurant." She smiled then, remembering all the disgruntled looks every time after she and Harry broke from a kiss while they were having lunch.

Harry shrugged, now kissing her neck, "Snogging out in the open is particularly nice."

Hermione's breath caught in her throat at his words. She sighed. She hadn't told him about her and her mum's conversation yet. But, now that the opportunity presented itself, she knew she shouldn't keep it from him any longer. Nervously, she bit her lip, "Er, on the topic of being out in the open, I've got something to tell you."

"What is it?" Harry asked, leaning back with a little frown.

Hermione's face contorted into a number of apprehensive expression before she finally spoke, "Uh… I told."

"Told who what?"

"My mum came into my room while I was getting ready… we just started talking, and I just… told her…"

Harry's face suddenly went flat, "About us?"

Hermione nodded, "Yeah."

"You told her that we were together?"

"Yes."

"As a couple?"

"Yes."

"Meaning boyfriend girlfriend?"

"Yes."

He was silent for a few seconds, before his face turned angry, "Damn it!"

Hermione was clearly shocked. She knew that he'd be surprised, but she didn't think he'd be… disappointed. "What? I-I thought you would be happy…"

Harry shook his head turning back to her with a more level, but still frustrated, expression, "Hermione, we should've told her together. Now your dad's going to think I'm a bastard."

"My dad won't think that!" Hermione disagreed in a shocked tone.

Harry shook his head, still in denial, "The bloke always has to sit the dad down and explain, or else they look like a coward."

Hermione raised her eyebrow daringly, "And you know this from telling all of your past girlfriends' dads?"

"No, it's just common sense."

Hermione rolled her eyes, "Well, if it makes you feel any better, I only told my mum. She's not going to tell."

That seemed to do the trick, because Harry suddenly went quiet. It took a few moments, but eventually he glanced up at her, "So… so your dad still doesn't know?"

"Nope. But he gets home soon," she said with a raised eyebrow. She wondered if he'd be happier after that.

To her disappointment, Harry sighed, "Great…"

"Such enthusiasm," she muttered dryly.

"Sorry," Harry said, sounding much more sincere, "But what are we going to say? I mean, he'll probably be pissed that we lied."

Hermione pursed her lips and shrugged, "We didn't lie, just omitted the truth."

"He'll be pissed," Harry said despondently, "When he came to talk to me last night, he was giving me a look like I should tell him if anything was up. But I didn't. What if he kicks me out, too?"

Hermione shook her head confidently, "He won't, because if he does I'm coming with you."

"That'll make him loathe me more-"

"Harry, no one's getting kicked out. We had to tell him sooner or later. This way, we don't have to be keeping secrets anymore." Hermione tried to finish as optimistically as possible.

To her pleasure, Harry nodded, "I guess that's true."

Grinning madly, she leaned in and kissed him. When they pulled apart, she stared at him with a convincing look, "Harry, I love you. Dad will see that, and everything will be okay."

He smiled back gently, "You're right. We'll make him see."

"That's the spirit."

"We should probably head back," Harry said, standing up and holding out his hand for her, "It might only add fuel to the fire if he sees that your lips are swollen from snogging all day…"

Hermione grinned again, taking his hand, "Good point."

They made it back to the house just as the clouds were starting to darken over the sun. Harry didn't realize how nervous he'd be seeing Mrs. Granger the first time now that they both knew the truth. However, he didn't have much time to dwell on it, because as they came into the kitchen, she set her book down and gave them a smile.

"Hey kids. How was lunch?"

"It was good. We went to Sherbrook park after," Hermione told her, unwinding her scarf from her neck and throwing it over a vacant chair."

"That's nice. It wasn't too cold, I hope?"

Hermione shook her head, "Nope."

Mrs. Granger seemed to nod in satisfaction as Hermione sat down opposite her. She glanced back up to Harry, noticing his apparent discomfort.

Harry shifted in place for a few moments, before stuffing his hands in his pockets and looking up to her, "Er, I'm sorry we didn't tell you sooner, Mrs. Granger."

"You can still call me Beth, Harry. And it's okay. I understand."

"Is Dad home yet?" Hermione asked.

Beth shook her head with a grin, "He's on his way."

"Oh. Alright."

"I was thinking of ordering his favorite from that Thai restaurant for dinner tonight. It might soften the blow," Beth said, grabbing for her cup of tea.

"You think?" Hermione asked hopefully.

Beth considered it for a moment, and then shrugged, "Couldn't hurt to try-"

All three of them jumped slightly as the front door suddenly opened and closed. Harry and Hermione shared an anxious look as the heavy footfalls of Mr. Granger started for the kitchen.

"You won't believe what I got called in for today, Beth," Richard said, not paying attention to anyone as he walked into the kitchen and headed straight for the fridge, "Stonem thought he was dying of some horrible filling malfunction- turns out he only had a case of cold/sensitivity, the lousy- oh. Hey kids."

"Hi Daddy," Hermione greeted, sending him a bright smile.

Harry nodded gruffly, "Mr. Granger."

"How's your day been?" he asked now with a beer in his hand. He came across and kissed Beth on the head, confused by how quiet she was being.

"Good. Um, Dad there's something we need to talk to you about." Hermione was just as nervous as Harry, but she felt that the sooner they got this over with, the better. Hopefully, if they didn't waste any more time beating around the bush, her father would accept it better.

"We?" Richard asked, looking to Beth, "As in… you and your mother?"

Harry swallowed audibly from behind her as Hermione shifted nervously in her seat, "Um, no. As in Harry and I."

Without taking another second to absorb what his daughter was telling him, he turned an accusing glare on Harry. Staring him straight in the eyes, he replied, "I'm listening."

"Uh… M-maybe you should sit," Hermione stammered, giving both her dad and Harry pleading looks to do so.

Richard scoffed, "Why? You don't think I can handle it standing?"

"Richard, just sit," Beth finally spoke. Richard frowned down at her, but did as she said.

Harry came to sit next to Hermione. He wanted to reach out and hold her hand, but he figured it wouldn't be the best gesture at the moment, with Richard still glaring unforgivably at him.

Awkwardly, Harry cleared his throat and forced himself to look up at the older man, "So… we- we wanted to let you in on something sir. I mean, you were bound to find out sooner or later, so…"

"Daddy, I'm-"

Suddenly, Richard scooted his chair back and jumped up, "You're pregnant, aren't you?!" he screamed, pointing a finger at them both.

"What?! No!" Hermione shouted back.

"Richard!" Beth hissed, causing him to look down at her.

Hermione shook her head, also standing up, "I was going to say that I'm with Harry!"

Richard snapped his head back up towards Hermione, "Wait, what?"

"I'm with Harry," Hermione repeated evenly.

Harry stood up next to Hermione, and grabbed her hand. Harry noticed Richard frown as he did so, but he spoke anyway, "We're in love, sir. We never intended to go behind your back, but we can't help the way we feel for each other."

"Love?" Richard half-gasped, half-scowled.

Hermione locked her jaw and nodded, "Yes Dad. We've been together since Halloween."

"Together?" Richard repeated again.

Beth rolled her eyes, and grabbed his elbow forcing him to sit, "Oh, you know what they mean Rich."

Richard fell to his chair with a thump, and then turned a wild-eyed look on her, "You knew about this?"

"Hermione only told me today."

"But…" Richard turned his eyes back to Harry, and instantly he knew what he was referring to.

Harry sighed, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you last night, sir. But I thought Hermione would want us to do it together."

"Yeah," Hermione agreed, pulling Harry back down into his chair with her, "I would've told you sooner Dad, but I didn't know how you'd react. I wanted you to see for yourself what a good person Harry is."

"And I meant what I said last night," Harry went on, now staring unswervingly at her father, "I'd always protect her, no matter what."

"He knows that Harry," Beth assured him gently.

Richard let out a hard breath and looked to his daughter, "Why didn't you tell us when you first started this up?"

Hermione shook her head, "I don't know Dad… I guess I wanted to see where it went. I think we both needed to see how in love we were before it felt real."

Richard narrowed his eyes. He wasn't sure what that last part meant, but he was too focused on something else, "Love, huh? You've been dating for not even two months, but you think you're in love?"

"Think, Dad?" Hermione repeated, also narrowing her eyes.

Harry squeezed her hand, "Mr. Granger, our love is just as strong as yours and Mrs. Granger's is-"

"Don't compare my relationship with my wife to yours with my daughter. Beth and I have been married for over twenty years! You have no idea what kind of commitment it takes to make a relationship like ours work!"

"Richard-"

Harry shook his head quickly, set on defending himself, "I didn't mean it like that, sir. I only meant that I know how lucky I am to have Hermione. She's been the one consistent person in my life since I was eleven. I couldn't know what it's possibly like to be with someone for over twenty years, but I know that I'll do everything I can to make it with Hermione."

"I feel the same way Dad," Hermione added, hoping that would make her father understand better. He always said he'd support her no matter what. This situation should've applied to that, but he sounded so untrusting… "Harry's the only bloke for me. I know we can't make you believe it now, but our feelings aren't going to change."

"Richard," Beth spoke soothingly, gently patting his hand, "you have to admit, we couldn't ask for a better man for our baby. He's already proven that he can take care of her."

Richard scoffed, and Harry didn't need occlumency to know what Hermione's father was referring to.

A few tense seconds passed before Harry sighed. He let go of Hermione's hand and stood up once more, "I'll understand if you want me to leave, sir."

"Harry-" Hermione objected instantly. However, it was Beth who interceded.

"Now wait a minute, no one is going anywhere. You're welcome to stay in this house just as much as anyone else, Harry."

"Thank you," Harry answered, allowing Hermione to pull him back down. That meant a lot to him, but he still needed Richard's approval more than anything.

"Daddy, I-"

"I have some work to go over in my office," Richard said suddenly, standing up from his seat. He didn't spare a look at anyone as he stalked out of the kitchen.

Hermione sighed, slumping back against her chair, "Well, that went fabulously."

"At least he didn't lose his temper," Beth tried to console her.

Hermione only shrugged, "Yeah, but now he's not going to talk to us for the rest of break."

"That's not true, love," her mother disagreed, "He just needs some time to get used to the idea that he's not the only bloke in your life anymore. You've got a pretty protective father, Hermione."

Hermione closed her eyes wistfully and nodded, "I know."

"I'm sorry," Harry muttered to her, feeling like it was the only thing he could say. He knew it wouldn't make her feel better, but he also knew that it was his fault that their family was now fighting.

Hermione shook her head and stood up from the table, "Come on. Let's go watch a movie or something…"

"I think I'll order us some take out tonight," Beth said as Harry stood up and took Hermione's hand.

Hermione grabbed her scarf and sent her mum a glum smile, "Thanks."

Elisabeth watched on sympathetically as Harry led Hermione out of the kitchen and over to the back slider. She knew Hermione had hoped against fate that her father wouldn't mind too much that she and Harry were together. But, Richard had always been a man that had trouble with letting things go. And this seemed to be no exception. It hurt her that her husband couldn't be more understanding to their daughter's happiness. Hopefully, with a bit more time, Richard would see how happy Harry made their daughter. Until then, they were in for some trouble.

---

Ominous ending, I know. There's one thing you can do about that and that's leave a review complaining about how ominous it truly was…