Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Late Night Visit by Trojan#12
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Late Night Visit

Trojan#12

Disclaimer: JKR owns.

A Late Night Visit

Chapter 3: The Secret's On

---

Their late night visits continued for three weeks. It would seem to the both of them that they'd sleep in their separate rooms when the time came for bed, but sure enough Harry would sneak out after Ron's snores could be heard and come into Hermione's room, with some excuse or another on his tongue.

After the first week, he didn't need to explain anything anymore. He'd come in her room like it was home sweet home and crawl into bed next to her like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Sometimes they would lay awake talking for a few hours, and sometimes they'd fall straight asleep. On very few occasions, Hermione had woken up due to Harry whimpering behind her. He would repeat her name over and over in a distressed moan, and wouldn't stop until Hermione grabbed his hand and gently ran her fingers over his arm.

Despite what happens the previous night, every morning Hermione would wake with Harry's arms wrapped around her. In the same fashion as the first and second night, she'd never be the first to move. Harry would always wake up a little after her, realize their position, and gently get up before sneaking back to his room.

Once Hermione was alone, she would lay in bed contemplating her mixed emotions. A part of her said that it was okay because they were best friends- it was harmless right? But then another part of her would snidely comment that it was uncommon to sleep so intimately together- best friends or not. She wondered how she could feel so comfortable with it and if it meant something that she wasn't ready to face yet.

Because that was the one thing she feared. The one thing she hoped hadn't happened but knew that if it were to she wouldn't be able to resist it.

Because she knew that if she fell in love with Harry Potter, it would be the end of life as she knew it.

It was the Halloween feast and Hermione was back to studying Harry again, sitting across from her at the Gryffindor table. All through her classes that day she'd promised not to think about him and act like it was no big deal. But it was a big deal to her because she had never felt so confused over anything before. Especially not with the matter of boys.

Was it her fault for letting him get away with it? She never pushed him out the door or disturbed their morning position to let him know that she was aware of what happened while they were asleep. She practically invited him in to hold her delicately every single night. But was he having the same chaotic thoughts that she was? He didn't look very confused… in fact, he looked rather content with things. Not broody or guilt-laden Harry they were all used to after the war. He looked happy.

That led her mind to one question: did he know what he was doing coming to her every night?

Hermione frowned in concentration, thinking over the new possibility. It would make sense. At least, he did know that they ended up pressed tightly to each other every morning because he was the first to leave. And yet, he still came back every night!

"Hermione, eat some of this- it's amazing," Harry told her, dumping some chocolate tart on her plate.

She glanced up at him with a searching look causing Harry to frown.

"You okay?"

Hermione bit her lip and nodded unconvincingly. Obviously, she wasn't okay. She was fed up with all the chaos and her inability to concentrate on anything but Harry. She had to do something about it; and tonight she would.

"Sorry I took so long," Harry whispered as he quietly crept into Hermione's room, "Ron insisted that he beat the trousers of me two times in chess. Honestly, I think the bloke has an obsession he needs treatment for… what's up?"

Harry had stopped rambling when he noticed Hermione in the corner packing up some school supplies, not looking like she was interested in what he was saying at all.

"Hermione?"

"How come you never come in when Ron's up?" Hermione asked him suddenly.

"Um, I dunno. I guess because I don't want him to think we're doing anything suspicious," he answered, piecing together the best response he could think of.

Hermione scoffed, "What are we doing then, Harry?"

"What?" Harry asked, confused by her tone more than anything.

Hermione shook her head and continued packing away some books into her bulging bag.

"Hermione?"

"What?"

Harry cautiously took a few steps closer, "Is something wrong?"

"Yes," she said, "something is wrong."

"Well what is it? Something I'm doing?" he asked in worry. He had made Hermione mad before but for some reason, right now, he didn't think he could stand making her upset.

Hermione sighed and turned around to look at him, "You've been sleeping in my room every night for three weeks now, Harry."

"I thought… I thought you were okay with this," Harry responded lowly, and somewhat embarrassed. After these three weeks he thought he was becoming closer to her, when really she seemed to just be tolerating him.

"I was," Hermione continued, "It's just… I'm not going to ignore the fact that you wake up holding me every morning anymore."

Harry blushed and quickly looked to his shoes while Hermione went on, "Tell me the truth Harry- are your dreams at night really about the war?"

He knew he wouldn't be able to cover it up anymore. It was too hard to lie to her, especially when she was like this. "I'm really sorry if I've made you feel uncomfortable. I won't bother you anymore."

Hermione shook her head, "That's just it. It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable."

Harry's head shot up to her eyes, "It doesn't?"

She shook her head and then stared at him with desperate eyes, "I wish you'd trust me enough to tell me what you're feeling."

"I do trust you," Harry corrected her immediately.

"Then tell me," she answered back, giving him one of the most intense stares he had ever seen her give.

That alone made him hesitate, "What if I ruin it?"

"Do you want to live the rest of your life keeping it secret?" she questioned him simply.

"No."

Hermione took a few bold steps forward until she was just two or three inches away from his face, "Then tell me why you say my name in your sleep."

Harry took a deep breath and closed his eyes, "Because… I dream about you."

"Good or bad?" she asked, her heart beating a hundred times a minute.

"Good," he told her, "Always good."

Hermione sucked in her breath, not expecting such blunt honesty from him. She suddenly became tense, "So are you as nervous as I am about this?"

"No," Harry said shaking his head, "I know what I want. I just don't know if I deserve it."

Hermione paused for a moment. Is that really how he felt? Was this his way of having me without fearing rejection?

"Trust me Harry, you deserve it." She had made her choice- she wasn't going to deny her feelings if he obviously felt the same way for her.

Harry clearly didn't expect her to say that and you could tell me his anxious expression, "Are you sure?"

She reached forward and laced her fingers with his right hand, "Yes."

They both looked into each other's eyes as if asking once more for confirmation of what was about to happen. Hermione had bit the corner of her lip and when Harry glanced down to it, he didn't hesitate any longer. Slowly, he leaned in a pressed his lips to hers.

They stayed that way for a few moments, Harry pressuring her lips against his and Hermione kissing back with equal force. They pulled away as slowly as he had leant in and stared up at each other with hungry, glistening eyes.

It didn't take long for them both to meet again in another kiss.

Hermione woke the next morning, the early rays peaking through the drawn curtains. She let out a yawn and then noticed, like usual, Harry's arm draped over her. This time instead of feeling confused she smiled, loving the way it looked.

A few minutes passed before Harry pulled his arm back slightly obviously starting to wake. Hermione turned to face him with a shy smile still on her lips.

"Hey…" Harry said with a scratchy voice, just noticing her staring at him.

"Hey."

They simply looked at each other for a few minutes in a casual silence before Harry spoke, "Um what time is it?"

"6:30," she responded after glancing down to the silver muggle watch her parents had sent for her birthday.

"I should probably head back to my room now," he said quietly, not knowing exactly how to act after last night.

"Yeah," she agreed even though she didn't want him to go, "I have some homework to finish too…"

Harry grinned, "Hermione Granger, waiting until the day of to finish her homework?"

Hermione laughed at the overly dramatic expression on his face, "Yeah well, I was too preoccupied last night to finish it."

Harry smiled at her answer. Not really wanting to wait any longer and figuring now was a good time, he leaned in and gently pressed his lips to hers.

It was sweet and lingering, and when they broke away they both looked somewhat dazed.

"Um, do you want to follow me into the common room and help me finish it?"

Harry wanted to laugh, "I don't know how much of a help I'll be to you, but sure."

The two carefully climbed out of bed, collected her things, and then left the room, cautious for any signs of Ron. Once they were in the trio's common room, they settled on the comfy sofa and began attempting to finish Hermione's Potion's essay. The task was made difficult because Harry kept stealing kisses every minute or so.

A door upstairs cracked open and Harry and Hermione quickly broke apart.

"Merlin's beard Harry, what the hell are you doing up?" Ron asked coming sleepily down the stairs.

"Er, we were just finishing some homework," Harry told him, taking advantage of his deterred view to scoot away from Hermione.

"Hi Hermione," Ron said uneasily, nodding in her direction to prevent from actually making eye contact.

Hermione wanted to roll her eyes, "Ron."

An awkward moment swept over the three teens before Harry cleared his throat,

"So what are you doing up?"

"I was gonna go get a snack. You guys want anything?" he asked, brightened at the thought of filling his stomach.

"No," Harry and Hermione said simultaneously, sharing a secret smile.

Ron caught on and gave them a funny look, "Okay… can I take the cloak Harry?"

"Go ahead," Harry agreed pointing over to wear it was bunched up on the loveseat.

"Thanks mate," Ron said, grabbing up the invisibility and quickly leaving.

Hermione sighed, "That was…"

"Weird?"

"To say the least," she nodded, turning her full attention back to Harry.

"I know what you mean."

A second later, Hermione began to stir next to him with a puzzled look on her face.

"D-do you…"

"What?"

Hermione bit her lip for a moment as if to calm herself, "Do you think we… speaking only even if we are a we-"

"Hermione, too many we's," he tried to joke as he reached to hold her hand.

"Do you think we should keep this a secret?" she finally got out, leveling him with a solid look.

Harry paused and thought it over, "Well, at this point in time I don't think certain people would react too favorably if they knew."

"That's probably an underestimate," she nodded gloomily.

Harry squeezed her hand, "I think this should be our secret."

Hermione kept quiet and Harry was worried she was thinking he meant something he didn't, "But that's not to say I don't eventually want to tell people about us."

Hermione smiled, "Yeah?"

"Yeah," Harry nodded instantly smiling with her, "I mean, I don't think this is just going to be some small little fling. Do you?"

"Definitely not."

Thanks so much to everyone who reviewed. I really like hearing what you guys have to say :]