Unofficial Portkey Archive

What's In A Name? by papermask
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What's In A Name?

papermask

Okay, here's chapter two. I'm glad you guys are liking this story so far.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to live alone before I knew you
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
But love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah.
-Jeff Buckley, Broken Hallelujah

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"....and so, in the end, I just gave him the recommendation," Ron says. Everyone chuckles slightly at the story. It is two hours into the dinner. I'm still quite dazed after managing to put together a decent meal for nine people. Harry, Ron, Ginny, Hugo, Lily, Luna, Dean, Seamus, and myself are all seated around the old table in the kitchen of the Burrow. I look around at all of them, happily enjoying their meal. Hugo and Lily are playing with the remains of their food, something I know we've all told them not to do. I scan my eyes from Hugo and Lily to Luna. My expression softens. Luna's divorce from the naturalist Rolf Scamander was open for ridicule from Witch Weekly and other useless tabloids. Their opinion was that if someone involved in the downfall of Voldemort couldn't hold together a marriage, what hope was there for the rest of them? Honestly, it was all rubbish. That lousy Scamander fellow was the one who left Luna and her two boys, not the other way around. I never did like those sleezy papers. But Luna was always welcome at Potter Manor or here at the Burrow whenever she needed help. Ron was always excited to see her. I move my eyes to Dean and Seamus. I smile. Those two were always such cards, and now, they were holding positions neatly under Harry and Ron at the Ministry. Of course, there were occassionally some problems, but that was why they weren't at the top of the Auror chain. Suddenly, something red and vibrant catches my attention. I turn my head to see Ginny Weasley (strike that, Ginny Potter) shake her head in laughter. I frown. I sometimes wish I could be like her. Her and her beauty. I'm suddenly aware of how dull I must look; fixing this dinner left me no time to attempt to wash my face or attempt to fix my bushy hair. Not that I could. I sigh. Ginny laughs again and lightly grabs Harry's arm. Oh, Harry. My gaze finally lands on him. I watch him intently as he talks away, his eyes sparkling with glee. I smile, a real, true smile. He seems so happy. Why should I even think of disrupting his life when he's finally gotten it the way he wants it? I open my mouth to sigh, but nothing happens. Harry turns his gaze to me. I look at his mouth. His lips are forming a familiar shape, although I'm paying more attention to my own thoughts. His mouth forms the familiar shape again, and it occurs to me that I've been lost in my thoughts for quite some time. I shake my head and return to the world, only to here Harry saying my name.

"Hermione," Harry said while snapping his fingers in front of my face,"Anyone home?"

I grab his hand and lower it to the table. His eyes widen for a moment, but then return to their normal size.

"Yes, Harry", I say,"I'm here. I'm home." Harry gives me a small grin and for a brief second, I forget that we're not alone. But only for a second. I let go of his hand. I notice Ginny watching us carefully out of the corning of my eye. Her hand is on in the table. It twitches. Harry notices it too. He quickly reaches back and takes her hand, though he keeps eye contact with me. Luna, God bless her soul, breaks the silence.

"You know what I've found that's interesting? Nargles don't only nest in mistletoe. They can also be found in deadly nightshade, which is quite amazing, since the plant is almost always fatal",Luna says dreamily. Ron smiles and turnes to Luna.

"Luna, where on earth do you find out these things?".He askes. Luna shrugs and smiles in return.

"Exploring, mostly. But reading up on the subject helps as well,"Luna says. There is a brief moment where Ron and Luna share a gaze, and for a short while, I feel like maybe someone understands the way I feel. But all this is interrupted by Dean and Seamus.

"Well, I guess we'll take this time to say our goodbyes for tonight. There's work tomorrow, as you all know," Dean says. Seamus nodded as he got up from his chair.

"Goodnight, kiddos", Dean says to Hugo and Lily. They get up to give Seamus and Dean hugs while Luna gets up from her chair as well.

"I think I ought to be going, too," She says. Ron looks utterly dissappointed, but smiles nonetheless. We all get up from the table, everyone going to see each other off, except for me. I wave goodbye to those who are leaving, and then I gather the dishes. As I take them to the sink, I hear the footsteps die down. I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. I set the dishes in the sink and pull my wand out of my pocket. Starting the magic off, I wipe my brow and then turn around, only to face Harry's chest. I let out a gasp, followed by a furious blush.

"Woah, there,"He says,"I thought I'd come and help you with the dishes." I keep my gaze on the ground. I can't look at him, not now.

"I'm using magic tonight, Harry", I say. My voice sounds different; it doesn't sound like my own. Harry looks at me with an odd expression. I know what he's thinking. I usually do the dishes by hand - it reminds me of my mother. But not tonight. I'm just....too tired. Too tired of too many things. I finally gather up the courage to look at him. It is worth every ounce of it.

"I'm just tired."

"Oh, well then. I guess Ginny and I will just get out of your hair then."

"No!", I say a little too loudly, and a little too quickly. Harry raises an eyebrow, and then takes my hands in his. I inhale sharply, and he notices. He leads me to the table where we sit.

"Hermione, what's wrong?", Harry asks. I look down again. I feel my eyes slowly begin to well up with tears. I think about parchment and freshly cut grass and his hair after a shower. I think about holding his hand for all those years, and nothing ever coming of it. I think about flying on Buckbeack and holding Harry's waist and closing my eyes so tight. And I think about my name, my bloody name. I want my name, damnit. I want my name. I can't hold it in anymore, and the tears begin to flow.

Harry doesn't say anything, he simply holds me. I know Harry has never been good with crying girls, and yet, somewhere along the line, he found a way to understand. At least, to understand me, just the way that I understand him. And so, it is here we sit, holding each other, in a state of understanding.