Unofficial Portkey Archive

What's In A Name? by papermask
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What's In A Name?

papermask

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've had a tiny bit of writer's block. But, I'm back with another chapter that I hope you'll enjoy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But you can skyrocket away from me
And never come back if you find another galaxy
Far from here with more room to fly
Just leave me your stardust to remember you by.

Gregory and the Hawk, Boats & Birds
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I awake while Ron is getting dressed. I blink several times, adjusting my eyes to the light that is pouring in from the windows. Ron is getting ready for his job at the Ministry. I muffle a sigh. I used to have a job at the Ministry. I was moving up in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement when Ron suggested that I take a sebatacle. I was adament about staying at first, but he wore me down. I told myself that it would be a short break, and a well desrved one. But a week turned into a month, and a month turned into a year. I eventually lost my beloved place at the Ministry, though not for a lack of trying on my part. But, it was their decision that I had run my course there. I am still afraid that all of my work to protect the equality between witches and wizards of pure-blood, half-blood, and muggle-born will be lost.

"Hermione, I'm headed off to the Ministry. I'll see you this afternoon", Ron says. I look up over to him, smile, and nod. He grabs his wand and apparates to the Ministry. My smile fades as I return my gaze to the ceiling. I need to get up soon to make Hugo's breakfast. I grind my teeth for a moment and then get up. As I grab my robe and wand, like clockwork, I hear a soft knock on my bedroom door.

"Mum? Are you awake?", Hugo asks, barely audible. I smile again, genuinely this time, and head towards the door. I open it to find a sheepish looking boy staring up at me.

"Goodmorning, sweetheart", I say. Hugo gives me a hug and turns to head down to the kitchen.

"What would you like for breakfast, Hugo?", I ask once we reach the kitchen.

"Eggs and bacon, please!", Hugo responds. I nod in return and set the magic to make his food. As I sit across the table, a silence passes between us. We wait for the bacon and eggs to finish.

"Mum, when will I get to see Lily again?", Hugo asks suddennly.

"You just saw her last night", I respond.

"I know, we have so much fun together."

"Well, perhaps we'll get together with her this weekend?", I say. Hugo nods in approval. We sit in silence some more until breakfast is finished. I get up and serve Hugo and myself. It's not two seconds after I sit down that I hear a small pop in the other room. I wrap my robe tighter around me and go to see who just apparated into our house. I am surprised to see Harry standing in the middle of our living room, running a hand through his damp hair. Had he just had a shower? Damn.

"Goodmorning, Harry. What can I do for you?", I ask in my most normal of voices. He smiles and I almost melt.

"Well, Hermione, I was wondering if you and Hugo would like to accompany myself and Lily to the shops", Harry replies. It is only then that I notice that Lily is standing behind her father, smiling up at me.

"Well actually....wait a minute, shouldn't you be at work?", I ask, suddenly interested in why Harry was playing hookey.

"Heh, well, promise you won't get too defensive", Harry replies. I raise an eyebrow and crack a grin. Harry smiles wider.

"I felt you could use a vacation."

I couldn't help but laugh at this. A vacation? From what? I haven't worked in years. Harry must be pulling my leg.

"Harry, what do you mean?", I ask. Harry bends down to Lily's height and whispers something in her ear. She calls out for Hugo, to which he responds. Lily runs into the kitchen.

"Harry....what are you doing? I don't work."

"Yes you do", he replies matter-of-factly. I blink at his tone. Harry walks up to me and takes my hands in his. I feel my heart begin to beat faster.

"You cook, clean, take care of two kids, not to mention Ron and myself. Hermione, that's quite a load", Harry says. I feel myself warming at his consideration. But this is why he skipped work? The natural Hermione catches up with me.

"Harry, you can't just miss work to make me feel better. You have a family to support!"

"Hermione, please, don't worry. I took a sick day and I really want to do this with you", Harry says.

"What about Ginny?", I ask hesitantly. Harry's smile remains, but his eyes are serious.

"She's at work", he says simply. I bite my lip, then let out a sigh. I smile.

"Alright, Harry. Let's go."

Harry takes his hands out of mine. I wasn't aware that we had been holding hands this whole time. Harry and I wait for Hugo to finish his breakfast, and then he, Harry, Lily, and myself leave for the shops.

"Why can't we apparate?", Lily and Hugo whine. Harry and I roll our eyes, as if we were the children.

"Oh, you two! It's a lovely day. A nice walk never hurt anybody", I say. The two kids look at Harry and me with disdain. We simply laugh.

The day is filled with singing birds and blue skies. Fiften minutes later, we reach the shops. We ask the children which store they would like to go in first. Lily choose a quidditch shop while Hugo chooses a book store. Harry nudges me in the side at the realization that our kids are just like us. I smile. Harry quiets Lily and lets Hugo and I venture into the bookstore. Lily quickly becomes interested and follows Hugo down the endless aisles of books. Harry takes my hand. My heart flutters.

As Harry leads me to a bench outside, I begin to feel the familiar self loathing that comes with the feelings that I have for Harry. How dare I feel this way - it's innappropriate! We sit down as he realeases my hands.

"Hermione, we need to talk", Harry says seriously. I almost swallow my tongue.

"Harry..."

"Last night, something became very apparent to me."

Uh oh. Uh oh.

"I'm not happy."

Wait. What? I stare blankly at Harry, not knowing what to say. Luckily, Harry continues.

"I've been unhappy for a very, very long time. My children aren't happy. Ginny's not happy. My family is not happy. And I have a feeling that you aren't happy either."

I just nod. Every word is true.

"Why are you unhappy, Hermione?", Harry asks, his face steady. I open my mouth, but nothing comes out. Does he really expect me to tell him the truth? That I'm madly in love with him, and have been for years? What does he want from me? Harry takes my hand one last time. It breaks my heart to pull away.

"Harry, I...I can't", I say, looking deep into his eyes.

"Why?", he pleads. I feel my eyes fill with tears.

"For the same reason that's always been there: Ron and Ginny. Only now, Harry, it's amplified. We have families. We have lives. This is the path that we have chosen, and therefore, this is the path we have to take. Believe me, if I could go back and take it all back just to be with you, I would. I would a million times over. But, I can't, Harry. I can't. And I'm sorry for that, I swear I am. But I can't do this", I cry. Harry nods.

"I know it was a hard thing of me to ask. It's not how I wanted to be with you, but I thought if there was a chance, I should just take it", he explains. I tell him I understand. We sit in silence.

"I think I should take Hugo and go home", I say. Harry nods.

"I'll take Lily and go as well."

The children are heartbroken to be leaving so early. They say their goodbyes and right before Harry apparates to Potter Manor, we share one last look. So much is said in one glance. Then, they are gone. Hugo and I apparate home. He runs up to his room to begin reading a new book that he bought at the shop. I begin to go to my room, but stop. It doesn't feel right. I share that room with Ron. I share this whole house with Ron. I have no place of my own. So, I create one. I find a piece of paper and scribble something on it. I hug it close to my heart as I lie on the couch and begin to cry. Soon, I fall asleep, and the paper falls from my grasp. It reads: Hermione Granger.