Unofficial Portkey Archive

A New Opening Night by apaidan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A New Opening Night

apaidan

Chapter Ten - …The Bells Are Going to Chime

The Hogwarts Express had crossed the border into Scotland and was barreling on northward. The dining car, which was very rarely used on the trips to and from the school since most of the traveling students were content to take their sustenance from the snack trolley, had been magically transfigured until it had the appearance of an open hall in a medieval castle. Much larger than the physical confines of a railway car, a small crowd waited patiently for the star of the show to appear. Standing at the front of the car was the groom, seven of his closest friends, and the Minister of Magic, not so patiently waiting.

"Ron, where is she?" Glancing at his best mate out of the corner of his eye, Harry muttered in a bad stage whisper. "I was under the impression that the goal here was to be married before we arrived at Hogsmeade Station. At this rate, we'll be halfway past the Faroe Islands and waiting clearance to proceed to the North Pole before she arrives."

"Harry, she'll be here when she gets here." Trying to repress a grin, Ron's blue eyes were dancing as he turned slightly to face him. "She and Luna swear they know exactly where we were when she opened the door into our old compartment. She's going to set foot in here right there, not a second sooner or later." Chuckling he shook his head. "This is Hermione we're talking about. I'd swear she originated the phrase `In such matters, one cannot be too precise'."

"Gilbert and Sullivan, but that's not important." Shaking his head, Harry was busily scanning the room as he waited. Suddenly, a faint mental chuckle intruded upon his thoughts, and he smiled as he `heard' in his mind, "It's time, love."

Muttering, "It's showtime", Harry smiled as Ron and the rest of the groomsmen apparated out, leaving Harry and Kingsley standing alone at the front of the car. Looking out into the small group assembled, Harry nodded significantly to his aunt, on one side of the aisle, and his soon-to-be mother-in-law on the other. Seeing that they were both beaming with tear bright eyes, he nodded and took a deep breath, steeling himself for what was to come.

The sound of an opening door was heard and the room became silent. Looking up the aisle towards the back of the compartment, Harry was stunned at his first glimpse of Hermione since before last midnight. Standing there, fours steps outside the compartment, on the arm of her father, she was a vision of loveliness as they patiently waited for the precise moment to begin. Her hair was upswept, framing her face in soft curls.

A single silver pendant hung from a delicate chain around her neck drawing Harry's eyes towards the décolletage of the off the shoulder dress in such a way that almost robbed Harry of coherent thought. The stunning Victorian wedding gown accentuated the natural beauty of the bride within. Watching her standing there on the arm of her father, Harry's vision focused solely on her as she gave a minuscule nod and the Dursely twins, who were waiting patiently in front of her, stepped into the compartment.

As they entered the compartment, music began playing. The lush orchestral chords swept over the assembled guests and wedding party like a wave, catching all up in the simple power and majesty of the song as the bridal party began to process down the aisle. Chosen by the bride from the works of one of her favorite composers, the soaring strains of Holst accompanied them down the aisle. As the lush hymn section of `Jupiter' filled the room, Teddy and Victoire, bearing the rings that would be needed soon, followed Lily and Petunia as they made their way solemnly down the aisle.

First into the compartment after the ring bearers were Fleur and Bill. A study in contrasts, both were smiling as they began to process into the chamber. As they proceeded towards the front to the stately strains, Chastity and Dudley soon followed them. Harry's cousin and his wife both kept a watchful eye on their daughters as they waited patiently in the front, the knowing smiles on the faces of Petunia and Lily too often a prelude to some mischief.

The next couple in the wedding party was Angelina and George, with Angelina keeping a firm grip on her husband in an attempt to keep him on track and out of trouble for their friends' wedding. Dean and Parvati followed them, with the Unspeakable beaming and grinning from ear to ear as they followed their friends.

Luna and Dennis followed next, a pairing created by virtue of the fact that the two youngest Weasleys were standing up for their longtime friends and exes. Dennis' face was turning red as he was trying to deal with the running commentary Luna was providing without laughing aloud, much to the amusement of their friends in the audience. Lavender and Neville stepped into the gap, both nodding to their significant others who were standing together for the duration of the ceremony. Lavender smiled at her Canadian Auror, who was standing there in his dress robes blushing as Hannah was whispering "You're next" in his ear.

Finally, Ginny and Ron appeared. Best friends and former romantic interests of the happy couple, the pair had seen this day coming long before the bride and groom had admitted to it. Both grinning like madpersons, the brother and sister pair almost jauntily proceeded down the aisle to take their appointed spots to await what was to come.

As the Weasleys came to a stop and turned, the music paused for a moment as Hermione and her father appeared in the doorway. Almost appearing to float down the aisle in the elegant gown, Hermione's face shown with radiant happiness as her father accompanied her down the aisle.

A collective intake of breath from the assembled group tore Harry's attention from his bride approaching him.

Looking over her shoulder, his eyes widened as he noticed that following the bride and her father down the aisle were a pair of patronuses. Prongs, his stag patronus, was gleaming in all of his silver glory with an equally brilliant otter perched quite cheekily on his back. Standing up and clutching the stag's antlers in her forepaws/hands, Starlight was looking around and nodding to all assembled.

Shaking his head slightly, Harry answered the unspoken question in Kingsley's eye as he turned his attention back to Hermione and her father. The pair reached the front of the aisle just as the music began to fade away. Waiting patiently, the two waited for Kingsley to begin.

Taking a deep breath, Kingsley looked expectantly at the pair of patronuses standing behind the bride and her father. Nodding slightly, the stag winked and then began to fade, along with the otter standing on his shoulders. Releasing the breath he had been holding, Kingsley began.

"Who presents this bride?"

"Her mother and I." Replied Alex in the time honored tradition. Nodding one final time to his daughter, he kissed her briefly on the cheek before handing her forward to stand beside Harry. Stepping back, he quietly stood beside his wife as Kingsley continued.

"It is my singular pleasure to stand in front of this company today and officiate at this public affirmation of something that has existed for a very long time." Nodding at the blush that graced Hermione's cheeks and the smirk on Harry's face, he chuckled. "I would hazard a guess that there never has been a wedding more long overdue and more totally unnecessary. The love these two have for each other is plain to see, and there isn't anyone here in this assembled company who hasn't wished that the two of them would finally end the suspense we've all felt during the past ten years or so."

Acknowledging the chuckles and laughs from the assembled group, Kingsley smiled broadly as his eyes lingered on Padma for several seconds. Seeing the blush on her face and the joy in her eyes, he nodded to her before continuing. "The depth of commitment between Harry James Potter and Hermione Jane Granger is something that is usually the province of legend. Normally when presiding over a wedding, I take a moment to remind the couple of the commitment they are making and the nature of the relationship they are entering. Today, that would be totally unnecessary and redundant. These two know full well the depth of their commitment to each other and have a relationship that has, quite literally, stormed the gates of Hell for each other."

Nodding to Harry, Kingsley stepped back as Harry reached out his hands and took Hermione's between them.

"An eternity ago, my life was changed. I was heading into a new environment, a new school full of wonder and promise. For the first time in my life I was able to say that I had a friend," nodding to Ron as he paused for a moment, Harry smiled as tears began to appear in his eyes as he continued, "and then the unthinkable happened." Taking a deep breath, Harry looked deep into Hermione's eyes and continued.

"Hermione Jane Granger, you came bursting into my life and things have never been the same. Words are totally inadequate at a time like this. All I can do is state that the moments we've shared are the most precious that I can think of. Today is an acknowledging of the commitments we have made to each other, the promises made and promised kept over the years. I really can't add to that, but I do promise you that everything I have, everything that I am and everything I'll ever become is yours and yours alone. In this life, and in the next, my life, my soul, my magic, my being is yours and yours alone." A glow began to build around the pair as Hermione looked up and nodded.

"Harry James Potter, you are the one I've searched for, the answer to the questions I never knew I had. We've literally been through life and death together and there isn't anyone I'd want at my side other than you. You've saved my life, my mind, my sanity and my soul more times than I can count, and I'll stand by your side now and hereafter as your friend, your companion, your comrade, and your lover. Everything that I am, everything that I'll ever be is yours and yours alone. My life, my soul, my magic, my very being is yours. In this life and the next."

The glow around the pair began to intensify as Kingsley stepped forward. "The rings?"

With polished precision Teddy and Victoire both stepped forward and presented the rings to the pair. Teddy winked cheekily at his mother as she took the ring from the pillow he was holding. Victoire blushed at the intensity of the look in Harry's eyes, which never left Hermione, as he took up the ring she presented to him. As they accepted the rings, both began to feel a tingling in their left hands as they took the rings in their right. Kingsley turned to Harry. "Harry, do you accept this witch as your wife, bound to you by the love you share and the magic you wield?"

"I do." Harry's voice, resolute and clear, rang out in the room. Turning to Hermione, Kingsley nodded. "Hermione, do you accept this wizard as your husband, bound to you by the love you share and the magic you wield?"

"For all eternity." Nodding, Hermione smiled as she waited for the moment that was to come. Stepping back, Kingsley nodded. "Place the rings upon the hand of the other." Looking each other in the eye, they slipped the ring on the other's hand as they said, in unison, `With this ring, I thee wed."

As the rings slipped into place, and the ritual affirmation was spoken, the light that had gathered around the couple burst into a golden corona with a joyous chiming sound. The room rang for several seconds with the sound of chimes as the couple stared at each other.

Shaking his head, Kingsley nodded. "I now pronounce you husband and wife." Seeing the two begin to hesitantly lean towards each other, he smirked. "Go ahead, kiss each other."

As their lips met, they began to kiss. Not the searing passionate kiss of lovers who have been apart, not a chaste kiss for forms' sake, not even the deeply passionate kiss of a couple who knows each other well. It was the kiss of two people who, for that moment, nothing else existed or mattered. A kiss that joined the hearts, minds and souls of the two as they acknowledged that, for them, the universe existed in the other and in the other alone.

As they slowly ended the kiss, they instinctively joined hands and turned. Placing his hands on their shoulders, Kingsley nodded and addressed the audience. "It is my pleasure and honor to present to this company, Harry and Hermione. Joined by their magic, and their love, I present the happy couple to this assembled host."

As the crowd began to acknowledge the couple, the strains of Mussorgsky's `Great Gate of Kyiv' swelled through the hall as the flower witches began their triumphant trek up the aisle. The rest of the wedding party followed, until only the bride and groom were left to begin their walk up the aisle as the hidden strings reached their peak and the last iteration of the theme began to the joyous pealing of bells and chimes. Hand in hand, they walked slowly up the aisle, reaching door way just as the finale began. Turning, they placed their arms around each other and began to kiss, once again.

Manifesting beside them, their patronuses began to glow brighter and brighter as the music came to an end. As final chords sounded, cymbals crashed and bells chimed, there was a flash of light that came from the patronuses that overwhelmed the eye, for just a moment. In the silence that followed, the couple was gone.

-->